September 18 start date

Tj V

3 minutes ago, Tj V said:

That sounds yummy! I don't have any Chia seeds, so I'd have to leave them out. So, you roll the chicken strips in the flaxseed and cashews and fry them on top of the stove? Or did you bake them?

Sorry for not explaining more... ground the cashews and mix with the flax, chia and salt pepper on one bowl.  Whip the eggs and water in another.  Dip chicken in egg mix, then cashew mix.  Fry in small batches with coconut oil.  I just added a tablespoon of oil at a time to keep the pan oil coated.   

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Sorry for not explaining more... ground the cashews and mix with the flax, chia and salt pepper on one bowl.  Whip the eggs and water in another.  Dip chicken in egg mix, then cashew mix.  Fry in small batches with coconut oil.  I just added a tablespoon of oil at a time to keep the pan oil coated.   

Sounds yummo! Thanks so much!

On 9/18/2017 at 12:58 PM, Brad C said:

WOW!  This group size is awesome -- definitely hoping that we can all pull each other along these next weeks.  Great to see so many people starting today.  

Today is quite a different day.  Usually, I drive through McDonald's and get the large soda (only $1, so might as well get the largest size possible!) and a couple biscuits, or else Sunoco fountain soda and donuts.  Today, I made myself a nice omelet with peppers and tomato.  

I am a teacher, and normally munch at our "team meeting" on cookies, popcorn, etc. -- today, just a small handful of cashews to try and manage my energy balance going cold turkey on everything.

Normally, on my way home I eat a pack of cupcakes or something, or else binge on some junk food when I get home from getting my daughter from school.  Today -- nothing.  Waiting for my chicken and steamed broccoli for dinner.

It is amazing to me how much eating has been mental for me.  I was not hungry until about 15 minutes before I ate lunch.  I am not hungry now.  But I feel like I NEED to eat to comfort myself.  Several times my mind wandered to a nice cold sugary cherry coke or the cookies in my classroom pantry that the team shares.  But then I remind myself that I don't need any of that, and that I am just poisoning myself with it.

I know that after dinner will be tough, as I also like to munch on some cookies and milk for dessert.  But I am going to have all of you right there with me tonight, and instead of those choices, I am going to just do some working out with weights, and then do a little mindfulness/relaxation and read before bed.

I'm glad to hear that I was not the only one nervous for today!  I too am excited to have better energy, sleep patterns, and clearer sinuses (among other things), but I was truly nervous this morning (and am still a little nit nervous, as I worry that I am going to let myself and everyone else down).  I know that the next few days and week(s) will be tough as I go through the sugar/bad carb withdrawals, but with all of your help, I look forward to turning over that new leaf we are all hoping for.

Even though I don't know any of you - I am considering myself as just one member of the "September 18th" team.  I am pulling for each and every one of you to reach your goals, to develop new relationships with eating, and to reach greater levels of health and happiness!

I hope to check in tonight, but if not -- stay strong team, and I look forward to reading all of your successes and fears and stories and everything else soon! 

Way to go, Brad!  Sounds like you are starting to get in the groove!  Awesome!  

Yesterday was a challenge for us.  I started the day by making the kids banana pancakes, sans syrup, with scrambled eggs... to keep things interesting.  Dear son loved them, dear daughter hated them... sigh.  I can never me everyone happy!  LOL.  DH and I did not do the pancakes, as they are not technically not Whole 30 compliant, so we had baked cinnamon sweet potato bits and a veggie and pork scramble.  Yum!  Later, we had   had to get out and about around lunch time.  We visited our local coop and opted for some healthy snacks for lunch (Whole 30 compliant nut mix, Epic bar and some not so Whole 30 compliant but ingredients are Whole 30 compliant Terra Chips, original flavor.  Kiddos had Epic bars, natural fruit leather and exotic flavored compliant applesauce pouches). We learned from this that snacky lunches make for serious hunger before the next meal.  Note taken!  For dinner, we had spaghetti  squash with meat sauce.  

Feeling a little better today.  A little more energy, no more headaches and not dreading my eggs this morning, though I'm growing a little weary of coconut cream coffee.  We are used to heavy cream and absolutely nothing compares.  Hehe...  

How'sthe rest of the Sept 18th group doing?

Happy Friday!

Checking in - Day 5...  Last round I did a lot of eggs in the morning to the point where I was gagging.  This time I find myself saving a small portion of what we eat for dinner and heat that up for breakfast.  It seemed strange to eat Grilled Chicken, Roasted potatoes/ Brussels sprouts for breakfast, but it kept me full until lunch and it was actually pretty tasty!

3 minutes ago, Nancy61 said:

Checking in - Day 5...  Last round I did a lot of eggs in the morning to the point where I was gagging.  This time I find myself saving a small portion of what we eat for dinner and heat that up for breakfast.  It seemed strange to eat Grilled Chicken, Roasted potatoes/ Brussels sprouts for breakfast, but it kept me full until lunch and it was actually pretty tasty!

That sounds like a good idea, Nancy! 
@dmrob2009, sounds like you're getting in to the swing of things! Good for you! I'm doing ok...plugging along on a technical Day 1, although I'm calling it Day 5 of a Whole 35. Puked my guts out yesterday after lunch and had white rice for dinner, so here's to "starting over/not starting over/extending". Cheers!

42 minutes ago, Nancy61 said:

I think we're going to have to start eating non-breakfast foods for breakfast, too.  Not sure how many more eggs I can convince my kiddos to eat!  LOL You're doing great... keep it up!

Hi everyone! 

Day 5 checking in. @Svmomma that chicken tender recipe sounds so yummy. I think I will try it for next week!  @Nancy61 I've also been experimenting with non-breakfast foods for breakfast and I find that I am more satisfied that way!

Everything was going well until yesterday when I started feeling awful. I have had a headache since last night and my stomach has felt a little queasy since yesterday morning. I am eating all 3 meals and following the meal template for pre-workout and post-workout meals. I did a 30 minute low impact, strength training class yesterday which is part of my normal routine. I usually walk home after but I felt so awful yesterday after the class, I had to get a cab. I had dinner, hydrated but the sick feeling continued into the night and I slept pretty badly. I feel a tiny bit better today but still not great. I am not sure if this is a normal reaction or if I am doing something wrong. Any advice? 

3 minutes ago, Momo MK said:

Hi everyone! 

Day 5 checking in. @Svmomma that chicken tender recipe sounds so yummy. I think I will try it for next week!  @Nancy61 I've also been experimenting with non-breakfast foods for breakfast and I find that I am more satisfied that way!

Everything was going well until yesterday when I started feeling awful. I have had a headache since last night and my stomach has felt a little queasy since yesterday morning. I am eating all 3 meals and following the meal template for pre-workout and post-workout meals. I did a 30 minute low impact, strength training class yesterday which is part of my normal routine. I usually walk home after but I felt so awful yesterday after the class, I had to get a cab. I had dinner, hydrated but the sick feeling continued into the night and I slept pretty badly. I feel a tiny bit better today but still not great. I am not sure if this is a normal reaction or if I am doing something wrong. Any advice? 

I had some of those same issues a day before they hit you.  Reading through the book, it seems a lot of this is normal, especially in the first week.  That sick feeling and headache I had Wednesday and Thursday are not nearly as bad today.  The headache is gone, and the queasy feeling not so constant.  Hang in there, this is probably the withdrawl phase!  :lol:  The workout might have made it worse too.  Good luck, glad to see you're still with us.

I hope it is okay for me to join in now.  I "officially" started on Monday the 18th too.  Screwed up Monday night, so kind of re-started Tuesday.  I did well Monday, went to Costco (I agree, I was stunned at how much of their food is organic and compliant!)  Monday evening, as I was putting it all away, I ended up just cleaning out the fridge and freezer and getting rid of old and non-compliant stuff.  Mostly.  There was a bottle of wine with a good sized glass full left in it, and I drank it. :(  I am a terrible sleeper, and when I went to bed I took my usual melatonin and realized after that it is very sweet (chewables.)  So, started over Tues.  Now I'm doing well, from the compliance standpoint, but have had that nasty awful headache all day.  This is my first Whole 30, although I've known about it for at least a year and know several people who have done it.  I love to cook, and thus to eat, and just really didn't want to give up cheese and wine.  I used to be in very good shape, but over the past fifteen years I have had several bad injuries that required surgery and a lot of therapy.  I put on way more weight than I want to admit, and I'm to the point that I feel just disgusted.  I also have food cravings, and as already stated, am a terrible sleeper.  Over the weekend, I spent nearly all day reading online, ordering the books from Amazon, and making a plan.  I have never been a "joiner", although I am certainly a talker, so I didn't really look at the forums till just now.  I read through this one first, and like it.  

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

I hope it is okay for me to join in now.  I "officially" started on Monday the 18th too.  Screwed up Monday night, so kind of re-started Tuesday.  I did well Monday, went to Costco (I agree, I was stunned at how much of their food is organic and compliant!)  Monday evening, as I was putting it all away, I ended up just cleaning out the fridge and freezer and getting rid of old and non-compliant stuff.  Mostly.  There was a bottle of wine with a good sized glass full left in it, and I drank it. :(  I am a terrible sleeper, and when I went to bed I took my usual melatonin and realized after that it is very sweet (chewables.)  So, started over Tues.  Now I'm doing well, from the compliance standpoint, but have had that nasty awful headache all day.  This is my first Whole 30, although I've known about it for at least a year and know several people who have done it.  I love to cook, and thus to eat, and just really didn't want to give up cheese and wine.  I used to be in very good shape, but over the past fifteen years I have had several bad injuries that required surgery and a lot of therapy.  I put on way more weight than I want to admit, and I'm to the point that I feel just disgusted.  I also have food cravings, and as already stated, am a terrible sleeper.  Over the weekend, I spent nearly all day reading online, ordering the books from Amazon, and making a plan.  I have never been a "joiner", although I am certainly a talker, so I didn't really look at the forums till just now.  I read through this one first, and like it.  

@CorgiLover welcome!

2 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Welcome to the forum, @CorgiLover! We are happy to have you. I know a person who started the Whole 30 a week before we all did and she is a horrible sleeper too. She says she's been sleeping really well. My sister started the day we did and she is also a horrible sleeper. She's been doing better too, so stick with it....there's hope! Good to have you in the group.

2 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Welcome!  The purging of non-compliant food should help you a lot.  It's so much easier to take the willpower out of the equation, as it is finite and usually nonexistent by the end of the day.  LOL. Hang in there... you'll get it this time!  

Well, no throwing up today, so I count that as a win! Of course, I didn't go outside except to check the mail. I ate smaller portions today too, just to not overload my stomach. I was doing well, until about 15 min. ago and then wham! Full blown headache out of nowhere! Ugh! Right before bedtime too. Drats!
On a personal level and this has absolutely nothing to do with the Whole 30, but could you all keep my Uncle in your thoughts and prayers? He suffered another heart attack and for many reasons too numerous to go in to, he is not a candidate for further surgery and has elected to just go in to hospice. He says he's ready to go, that he's tired of fighting it. He's 5 years younger than my Mom, who is 81. They had the same quadruple bypass a few years apart and she is doing great....him, not so much. It's real hard on his family and my Mom being his sister. That's her only full sibling. Anyway, sorry to be "debbie downer" but it's really weighing on us and we could use all the thoughts and prayers you've got. His name is Don.
Thanks in advance! Have a good night everyone!

2 minutes ago, Tj V said:

Well, no throwing up today, so I count that as a win! Of course, I didn't go outside except to check the mail. I ate smaller portions today too, just to not overload my stomach. I was doing well, until about 15 min. ago and then wham! Full blown headache out of nowhere! Ugh! Right before bedtime too. Drats!
On a personal level and this has absolutely nothing to do with the Whole 30, but could you all keep my Uncle in your thoughts and prayers? He suffered another heart attack and for many reasons too numerous to go in to, he is not a candidate for further surgery and has elected to just go in to hospice. He says he's ready to go, that he's tired of fighting it. He's 5 years younger than my Mom, who is 81. They had the same quadruple bypass a few years apart and she is doing great....him, not so much. It's real hard on his family and my Mom being his sister. That's her only full sibling. Anyway, sorry to be "debbie downer" but it's really weighing on us and we could use all the thoughts and prayers you've got. His name is Don.
Thanks in advance! Have a good night everyone!

So sorry to hear that.  Will do!  

13 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Welcome aboard!

Good Day 6 Morning everyone!  I got through a tough moment yesterday, when I thought I might crack.  When my wife and I reconnect at home after work on Friday, it normally means a glass of wine, a vodka tonic, or a whiskey sour on the deck.  Talk about our week, what the weekend will bring, and make that transition from work week to weekend.  It's one of my favorite parts of the week.  Well, last night we just stared at each other for a minute.  "What do we do now?"  We took a deep breath, and started making dinner, and the feeling past.  We don't drink a lot (in my opinion), but we do enjoy a cocktail with each others or friends.  So tonight, the next big challenge.  We are going to a BBQ with some old friends of my wife's.  They all used to work together, and haven't all been together in some time.  Sounds like lots of sweets, non-compliant salads, meat with non-compliant BBQ sauce, beer and wine are on the menu.  We are taking some things we can eat (shrimp with compliant cocktail sauce, a big green salad with chicken and Whole30 recipe dressing), and we will see how it goes.  This is a big part of my relationship with food and booze that I'm working on changing.  I see it as a reward (for a long work week, a stressful day, etc) or a part of a celebration that HAS to be a part of it.  Wish me luck!  Have a great day 6 everyone!

Mike

PS:  TjV sorry to hear about your Uncle.  Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

18 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Good Day 6 Morning everyone!  I got through a tough moment yesterday, when I thought I might crack.  When my wife and I reconnect at home after work on Friday, it normally means a glass of wine, a vodka tonic, or a whiskey sour on the deck.  Talk about our week, what the weekend will bring, and make that transition from work week to weekend.  It's one of my favorite parts of the week.  Well, last night we just stared at each other for a minute.  "What do we do now?"  We took a deep breath, and started making dinner, and the feeling past.  We don't drink a lot (in my opinion), but we do enjoy a cocktail with each others or friends.  So tonight, the next big challenge.  We are going to a BBQ with some old friends of my wife's.  They all used to work together, and haven't all been together in some time.  Sounds like lots of sweets, non-compliant salads, meat with non-compliant BBQ sauce, beer and wine are on the menu.  We are taking some things we can eat (shrimp with compliant cocktail sauce, a big green salad with chicken and Whole30 recipe dressing), and we will see how it goes.  This is a big part of my relationship with food and booze that I'm working on changing.  I see it as a reward (for a long work week, a stressful day, etc) or a part of a celebration that HAS to be a part of it.  Wish me luck!  Have a great day 6 everyone!

Mike

PS:  TjV sorry to hear about your Uncle.  Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Mike, I totally understand how you feel about food as rewards... and congratulations for getting past a tough moment!  Goodness, my family is bad about the food/drink reward.  I've gotten a double dose of it, as it applies to both sides of my family + my husbands family.  Tonight won't be easy, but you have one success under your belt from last night.  Let that feeling carry you through this evening and I commend you and your wife for socializing whilst doing this.  I've not yet taken that step, as it's so hard to go to my family's favorite Mexican restaurant and bypass the margarita, chips and salsa.  Having said that, you've inspired me to give it a try, at least, in the near future.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

Day 6 everyone!! Woot! Hope everyone has a great day! Off to teach an art class and taking leftovers from last nights dinner. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Woohoo!  You seem to have recovered.  Yay!  Have a great Day 6, Tj V!  

PS. Me thinks I feel the TIGER BLOOD coming on!!!  Had lots of extra energy yesterday.  The whole fam is starting to feel better, in MULTIPLE ways.  

@ the whole Sept 18 group... you all ROCK!  I'm so glad I utilized the forum this time.   It's a tremendous help.  

So glad you feel better, so do I!  Yesterday I had a dull, annoying headache all day, and was a little queasy.  I got home from work last night, let the dogs out for a minute, ate a little turkey salad and went to bed.  For the first time in I can't remember how long, I fell straight to sleep and slept right through till this morning.  Today, headache is gone, I feel energized (the good sleep probably helps), and black coffee and leftover turkey salad was a perfect breakfast.  I think I actually look brighter and more alive.  Happy day 6 everyone!  

I just wanted to offer up an awesome resource that I've known about for a while, but only recently stated utilizing. Nom Nom Paleo's newest book, Ready or Not! will not disappoint.  They have a lot of Whole 30 plugs in it and on their website, so I figured it'd be okay to tell y'all about it here.  Well worth the money spent.  We've been using mostly recipes from the Whole 30 and Well Fed 2 (recommended by the Hartwigs)... which have been really good thus far, but I added this new one because I feel like I need a lot of extra options. Nom Nom Paleo has a website, too. They have lots of recipes not found in the book, so a free resource!

nomnompaleo.com

You've got to try the magic mushroom powder:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/105333542218/magic-mushroom-powder-diy-holiday-gift

Have a great weekend, all!

On 9/22/2017 at 12:56 PM, Momo MK said:

Hi everyone! 

I don't have any advice since I'm a newbie, but feel your pain.  Maybe time will sort it out?  Okay to take a break from work outs for a bit?  Seems i've read that not enough food caused some of those symptoms.  

I did some sort of work out three of the days of the week, and rested on Friday.  I woke Saturday with a headache for the first time. After taking something and doing a pre-workout meal, I ran for an hour (but should've probably been shorter, but I was running so slow).  Not sure if I'll get all the meals in I'm supposed to today as it's middle of the afternoon and I"m not hungry for lunch yet.  So hope that doesn't contribute to negative repercussions.  

Hang in there, rest up and lay low!

Archived