September 18 start date

Tj V

My first round earlier this year was great.  There was nothing that could derail me. Since then I’ve had the hardest time being truly committed to finishing another round. I start then stop. This time was no different. I went to day 13. I’ve had a couple days off and Mon will get back to it. I’m not sure why I haven’t done a full round since the first one. I think for me it’s more about making wise choices all the time not being strict just for 30 days. Yes it’s a mindset. For me food freedom is a better way right now. I am super impressed by all you who have done multiple rounds. I will keep trying. I know that paleo and mostly Whole 30 is the way of eating for me. I never have food cravings until I tell myself “I can’t” have something. Maybe that’s an indication of issues. I’ll have to think about that. 

As for all you on this board...I’ve done it before and I know you can keep going! Stay strong! 

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

My first round earlier this year was great.  There was nothing that could derail me. Since then I’ve had the hardest time being truly committed to finishing another round. I start then stop. This time was no different. I went to day 13. I’ve had a couple days off and Mon will get back to it. I’m not sure why I haven’t done a full round since the first one. I think for me it’s more about making wise choices all the time not being strict just for 30 days. Yes it’s a mindset. For me food freedom is a better way right now. I am super impressed by all you who have done multiple rounds. I will keep trying. I know that paleo and mostly Whole 30 is the way of eating for me. I never have food cravings until I tell myself “I can’t” have something. Maybe that’s an indication of issues. I’ll have to think about that. 

As for all you on this board...I’ve done it before and I know you can keep going! Stay strong! 

@Amb_Bomer, sorry to hear, but just back on the wagon! I know how you feel though. I did my first W30 several years ago and pretty much breezed through it, but the next two times I tried, it's like I had this spirit of rebellion or something and didn't make it to even Day 13. Just keep plugging away! You got this!

12 hours ago, SineadMon said:

@Tj V I don't know what to advise with trying to get rid of the taste in your mouth. Do you think it has something to do with what you're eating, or is it all the time? Maybe try a sparking water with fresh mint leaves?! That might work. My uncle gave me a mint leaf to eat after dinner last week - I laughed at the time and ate it because I thought he was being funny, but it really worked!!! It did taste like grass at the beginning but the after taste was lovely!

@dmrob2009 So funny you say that! As you know, I'm on day 6 and I woke up this morning after having a food dream, was cranking as hell and spend most of the time doing errands looking lovingly and longingly at cookies and cake!!!! My timeline seems to be a bit off, but I think I'm still hitting the major physical feelings and emotions!

@Mike5858 How did the ball game go?? Fair play to go with such commitment.

I knew my weekends would be hard and I really wasn't in a good mood today. I got through the day but it was a struggle. I did some grocery shopping and got some new foods to try and spice up next week's menu - basically move from chicken and turkey to salmon and shrimp! Also tried to boil my veggies today rather than roast them! Little changes but it helped with the variety. I knew the weekend would be hard, but I'm really hoping it becomes less of a daily fight to make good food choices and shut up that voice that says 'wouldn't it be easier to just quit'....

No doubt, the weekends are hard.  For me, especially Friday after work.  The first one was harder than the second one.  That gives me hope.  Hang in there, we cane do this!

6 hours ago, Amb_Bomer said:

My first Whole 30 was nearly successful, but I quit at reintro.  Same thing with my second.  There may have been a third attempt, but I never made it through.  This is my fourth and, by far, my best attempt, thus far.  I think it has something to do with the fact that you know exactly what you're in for after having done it before and it's hard and takes extra resolve to get through it.  You'll get there! Way to jump back in!!! 

• Happy Day 14 everyone!  I had a long, but productive day yesterday, moving boxes and furniture from the garage to the basement.  Although I wouldn't call it "Tiger Blood" just yet, it didn't wear me out anywhere near as much as I was fearing!  I had a good breakfast and dinner, but skipped lunch (was working and just missed it) which I know is bad, but I'm ok with it.  It was a beautiful day in St. Louis yesterday, so it made the work more enjoyable, and my mood is really improving too.  It was tough when some friends came over to the new condo to check on the renovations progress, and wanted to have pizza and wine that evening.  It sounded wonderful, but my wife and I explained to them, in a basic sense, what we were doing and politely passed.  Those are the moments I'm missing most now.  Having a drink with friends.  If we were finished with the Whole30, I'm sure we could have compromised on something other than pizza, but the wine would have been nice.  You see, although we are working on the new condo, our friends had just signed a contract to build a retirement place in Florida that day.  It would have been nice to celebrate with them without worrying about what had sugar in it, etc. etc.   I'm glad we stayed strong and committed, but that was a moment I can't get back.  Sorry to whine about it!
  • Tomorrow is the halfway point.  Can you believe it?!  I'm proud of all of us still sticking with it.  I hope we haven't lost as many as it seems we have, and they are just not making a habit of posting.  In any event, have a great day everyone!

Mike

14 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

No doubt, the weekends are hard.  For me, especially Friday after work.  The first one was harder than the second one.  That gives me hope.  Hang in there, we cane do this!

I admire everyone who has maintained a social life while doing this.  I have yet to go out with friends or eat at a restaurant.  My poor husband manages a restaurant and has access to good food all day long.  I'm sure the smells are torture, even though he barely has time to eat.  My 13 yr old daughter has a girl scout overnight coming up and will be the first in the family to have to overcome serious temptation, bless her heart.  

2 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:
  • Happy Day 14 everyone!  I had a long, but productive day yesterday, moving boxes and furniture from the garage to the basement.  Although I wouldn't call it "Tiger Blood" just yet, it didn't wear me out anywhere near as much as I was fearing!  I had a good breakfast and dinner, but skipped lunch (was working and just missed it) which I know is bad, but I'm ok with it.  It was a beautiful day in St. Louis yesterday, so it made the work more enjoyable, and my mood is really improving too.  It was tough when some friends came over to the new condo to check on the renovations progress, and wanted to have pizza and wine that evening.  It sounded wonderful, but my wife and I explained to them, in a basic sense, what we were doing and politely passed.  Those are the moments I'm missing most now.  Having a drink with friends.  If we were finished with the Whole30, I'm sure we could have compromised on something other than pizza, but the wine would have been nice.  You see, although we are working on the new condo, our friends had just signed a contract to build a retirement place in Florida that day.  It would have been nice to celebrate with them without worrying about what had sugar in it, etc. etc.   I'm glad we stayed strong and committed, but that was I moment I can't get back.  Sorry to whine about it!
  • Tomorrow is the halfway point.  Can you believe it?!  I'm proud of all of us still sticking with it.  I hope we haven't lost as many as it seems we have and they are just not making a habit of posting.  In any event, have a great day everyone!

Mike

I'm sorry that you were unable to celebrate with your friends last night.  Way to stick to plan though.   Kudos to you and your wife!  And congrats on the new place!  Week 3 starts tomorrow.  Woo hoo!

4 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

I admire everyone who has maintained a social life while doing this.  I have yet to go out with friends or eat at a restaurant.  My poor husband manages a restaurant and has access to good food all day long.  I'm sure the smells are torture, even though he barely has time to eat.  My 13 yr old daughter has a girl scout overnight coming up and will be the first in the family to have to overcome serious temptation, bless her heart.  

No doubt, in my mind that the social part is the hardest.  I've made it through a party, a business dinner, and a ballgame.  It was not fun, but it is getting better.  If I did not have to be SO strict (eat well, but have a drink, or a piece of bread for example), it would be a breeze I think.  I hope so anyway.

I tweaked a delicious apple pumpkin bake, the original compliments of @Tj V because it is delicious but we'd eaten it several times but needed a change.  Here it is

1.5 c 100% pumpkin puree; 1/2 can shaken coconut milk; 1 semi ripe mashed banana; a small handful of raisins; 1/2 c chopped pecans; 4 beaten eggs; 1/4 tsp ground cloves; 1/4 tsp ground ginger; 1/4 tsp cardamom; 1/2 tsp nutmeg; 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix all together, pour into a large baking dish  and bake on 350  for 30 min.  Yum!!!

2 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

No doubt, in my mind that the social part is the hardest.  I've made it through a party, a business dinner, and a ballgame.  It was not fun, but it is getting better.  If I did not have to be SO strict (eat well, but have a drink, or a piece of bread for example), it would be a breeze I think.  I hope so anyway.

I'm inspired.  Determined to venture out before this thing is over!  The ultimate test!

Happy Day 13!  I am also feeling good, and I must say it is encouraging to come here and see everyone still working it out.  I also had a good day yesterday, cleaning out my fridge and freezer, then my pantry, progressed to cleaning out the entire kitchen and paring down the things I need.  I have a lot of little appliances and gadgets I don't use, so they need to find a new home.  A local charity is picking up in our neighborhood on Oct 12, so I am amassing a heap of stuff to leave in the driveway for them.  I did salmon fillets yesterday, with a mango salsa that was very good and very easy.  I diced up a mango and a half, a medium red onion, one jalapeno, with juice of one lime, some chopped cilantro and a splash of avocado oil.  Sous vided the salmon, and then seared on a cast iron skillet with coconut oil.  Made a couple of "mocktails" that were good, one a few slices of mango, crushed, with a twist of basil leaf and mango La Croix.  The other was cucumber slices, also mashed a bit, with a twist of basil leaf and lime La Croix. 

I have also not eaten out thus far.  I cook a lot at home, so rarely eat in restaurants anyway.  I take my lunch to work, so rarely participate in the daily "where are we going to get take out today" thing.  Was able to pass on the Chick Fil A Thursday with no problem.  I had a friend ask if I wanted to do brunch this morning, and I briefly considered it thinking "I could just get eggs."  Then, I realized I don't know what they are cooked in (almost guaranteed non-compliant oil), guaranteed non-compliant bacon, sausage, juice, etc. and I passed.  Could have had black coffee and chatted, but decided I'm happy here.  

BTW, I had someone Friday afternoon tell me my face looks like I've lost weight.  I don't think I have, my clothes fit same, but it was nice.  It was also nice last night, realizing it was past time I usually go to bed and I was still energetic and alert.  Went to bed anyway, really enjoying the sleep!  Have a good Sunday :)

I've been off the grid this past week. Busy at work but I'm still on board and happy to say I made it to Day 14!  I feel on my downtime I am busy googling Whole30 recipes and prepping meals!!  I too would love to have a nice glass of wine with my Saturday dinner.  Last night I made a delicious butternut squash soup as a starter & as our entree I made roasted salmon on top of sautéed cauliflower rice and peas!  Instead of a nice glass of wine we had sparkling water with a twist of lemon served in a wine glass. I swirled my beverage in the glass and sniffed the "bouquet" as if a good glass of wine!  My husband wasn't 't playing the game with me. He just laughed!! When the time comes we will enjoy the moment by Celebrating our 30 days!!  Have a great day all!

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

Happy Day 13!  I am also feeling good, and I must say it is encouraging to come here and see everyone still working it out.  I also had a good day yesterday, cleaning out my fridge and freezer, then my pantry, progressed to cleaning out the entire kitchen and paring down the things I need.  I have a lot of little appliances and gadgets I don't use, so they need to find a new home.  A local charity is picking up in our neighborhood on Oct 12, so I am amassing a heap of stuff to leave in the driveway for them.  I did salmon fillets yesterday, with a mango salsa that was very good and very easy.  I diced up a mango and a half, a medium red onion, one jalapeno, with juice of one lime, some chopped cilantro and a splash of avocado oil.  Sous vided the salmon, and then seared on a cast iron skillet with coconut oil.  Made a couple of "mocktails" that were good, one a few slices of mango, crushed, with a twist of basil leaf and mango La Croix.  The other was cucumber slices, also mashed a bit, with a twist of basil leaf and lime La Croix. 

I have also not eaten out thus far.  I cook a lot at home, so rarely eat in restaurants anyway.  I take my lunch to work, so rarely participate in the daily "where are we going to get take out today" thing.  Was able to pass on the Chick Fil A Thursday with no problem.  I had a friend ask if I wanted to do brunch this morning, and I briefly considered it thinking "I could just get eggs."  Then, I realized I don't know what they are cooked in (almost guaranteed non-compliant oil), guaranteed non-compliant bacon, sausage, juice, etc. and I passed.  Could have had black coffee and chatted, but decided I'm happy here.  

BTW, I had someone Friday afternoon tell me my face looks like I've lost weight.  I don't think I have, my clothes fit same, but it was nice.  It was also nice last night, realizing it was past time I usually go to bed and I was still energetic and alert.  Went to bed anyway, really enjoying the sleep!  Have a good Sunday :)

Sounds like you're getting a little pep in your step.  Way to go!  Happy Day 13!

1 hour ago, Nancy61 said:

I've been off the grid this past week. Busy at work but I'm still on board and happy to say I made it to Day 14!  I feel on my downtime I am busy googling Whole30 recipes and prepping meals!!  I too would love to have a nice glass of wine with my Saturday dinner.  Last night I made a delicious butternut squash soup as a starter & as our entree I made roasted salmon on top of sautéed cauliflower rice and peas!  Instead of a nice glass of wine we had sparkling water with a twist of lemon served in a wine glass. I swirled my beverage in the glass and sniffed the "bouquet" as if a good glass of wine!  My husband wasn't 't playing the game with me. He just laughed!! When the time comes we will enjoy the moment by Celebrating our 30 days!!  Have a great day all!

That is too funny (sniffing the sparkling water with a twist of lime bouquet) LOL.  Glad you're back on the radar!  Sounds like you're doing well.  Glad to hear it!  Have a great Sunday!

3 hours ago, CorgiLover said:

Good for you! Well, you all talk about Salmon all the time. Fish is out for me. My throat refuses to swallow it! Yuck! At any rate, it's good you all have that variety too. I'm good with my chicken and beef. I think I might get a turkey breast and roast it for a change. 

Day 15 for me... made it to halfway point, well when I lay me head down for sleep tonight. Sleeping is still tricky, but it has been my adult life, so I wasn't expecting miracles in two weeks. I tried the pasta sauce yesterday, and although the heartburn wasn't as bad as the other day, I still noticed it. Yesterday, I walked all over the city and felt like I had boundless energy! Anyone else getting the Whole30 daily email? It cost some money, but they are very inspirational. Only downside right now is my chronic back pain is still there, but I've gotten back into yoga, so hopefully my grumpy back will get better. That and losing the extra weight. Not doing this for the weight loss, but it will come as I'm not eating out 2/3 of the time and not drinking barrels of beer :)

Hope everyone is staying strong! I made it to day 24 last time... this time, can't stop, won't stop... thinking of making it a Whole 40 or at least until late this month when an old friend is coming to town for a work visit.

Cheers!

@GavinD, good for you!!! Sorry about the sleeping though. I'm sure you've tried everything over the years, but have you heard of Natural Calm? It's powder that you mix with water and basically, it's magnesium. It helps you sleep as well as keeping you regular. I know it's helped my sister a bit too, as she has the same problems you do. She also takes liquid Vitamin B, for the same thing. I know how you feel with the back issues. Ugh! So frustrating. I really need to get back to exercising, but I go good for several days and then slack off again! 
You all have made me accountable and I thank you for it. I thought I'd fall off the wagon when Mom went out of town and so far so good. It's been tempting, but I didn't want to let any of you down. I'm like that....I know my W30 has nothing to do with anyone but me, but I hate disappointing people! So anyway, thanks!

@GavinD I have also been using Natural Calm.  I saw it on the W30 website, I think, and ordered from amazon.  I have been an insomniac my whole life, but has been much worse lately and I realized wine in the evening made it much worse.  I used it in the beginning of this, and slept so soundly I was still sleepy in the morning.  I'm using it, now, only on nights I don't have to get up early in the morning.  I'm pretty amazed at how well it works, given over the years I've used everything from OTC sleep aids to Ambien.  The past year or so, I've been taking double doses of melatonin every night, and sometimes taking another in the middle of the night.  I'm sure that has screwed my brain up, but I'm hoping that getting off it, or only using for jet lag, say, will help everything else.  

@TJ Gass You are welcome, you are all keeping me accountable too.  

@CorgiLover @Tj V Yes, I have some Natural Calm. Sometimes it works great, sometimes it is useless against the racing mind. I feel like this experience has opened me up to all sorts of new outlets. It started with food, but I'm back to exercising, reading, generally kinder to people around me. Thinking I have room to learn some good mediation techniques, that should help.

And @Tj V although I appreciate your need to not disappointment any of us... do this for you and you alone. I'm grateful of the support from the forums, but this is my journey, my science experiment.

Thanks and stay strong!

Hi all! Huge congrats on getting to the half way mark.. I just finished Day 7 and I can safely say I understand how difficult your journey has been so far. 

@GavinD I agree that sometimes Natural Calm may or may not work. I know it sounds a bit silly but could you take a bath before bed? When I was really stressed out with work, i would take a warm bath with some Epsom Salts (the ones that come with lavender) and it would really relax me. 

@Tj V I also feel the routine and support of this forum has been really key in getting me to this point. Rather than not wanted to let anyone down, I've wanted to share my experience and see how other people are feeling. Also, it has become a routine now where if I feel irritated or frustrated with the program, I come on here and log my food and contribute to the discussion. Just knowing that others are feeling the same really helps me. But yes, @GavinD I am really doing this for myself and I have my goals clearly written, checking in with them daily!

One thing I noticed today starting to arise is my level of confidence. I would normally be quite withdrawn and worried about how I look or what people think of my food choices. Today, even though I was only going to a friend's house, I got dressed up and felt great. I know this is something that they say comes from the Whole30 but it was a nice feeling. Kind of like the confidence you mentioned last week @CorgiLover

@dmrob2009 that pie sounds amazing!! My victory today was turning down a friend's homemade Lemon Drizzle cake.. and what was interesting was that I really just didn't want it. Not just politely saying no!

Happy Day 15 everyone!  Well, here we are at the half way point.  We've got this folks.  I'm not saying there won't be some bumps in the road, and tricky times, but we've made it this far together, let's do the whole thing!  Pretty busy weekend, that I've documented and vented about already, but I was very happy with my level of energy and all I accomplished, without feeling completely worn out.  Sleep is up and down, good one night, not so good the next.  Seems like a common theme in this group.  My good nights are outstanding though, so I hope those continue to increase.  

Have a great day everyone.  I'm proud of all of you and thankful you're on this journey with me.

Mike

10 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Hi all! Huge congrats on getting to the half way mark.. I just finished Day 7 and I can safely say I understand how difficult your journey has been so far. 

@GavinD I agree that sometimes Natural Calm may or may not work. I know it sounds a bit silly but could you take a bath before bed? When I was really stressed out with work, i would take a warm bath with some Epsom Salts (the ones that come with lavender) and it would really relax me. 

@Tj V I also feel the routine and support of this forum has been really key in getting me to this point. Rather than not wanted to let anyone down, I've wanted to share my experience and see how other people are feeling. Also, it has become a routine now where if I feel irritated or frustrated with the program, I come on here and log my food and contribute to the discussion. Just knowing that others are feeling the same really helps me. But yes, @GavinD I am really doing this for myself and I have my goals clearly written, checking in with them daily!

One thing I noticed today starting to arise is my level of confidence. I would normally be quite withdrawn and worried about how I look or what people think of my food choices. Today, even though I was only going to a friend's house, I got dressed up and felt great. I know this is something that they say comes from the Whole30 but it was a nice feeling. Kind of like the confidence you mentioned last week @CorgiLover

@dmrob2009 that pie sounds amazing!! My victory today was turning down a friend's homemade Lemon Drizzle cake.. and what was interesting was that I really just didn't want it. Not just politely saying no!

@Tj V my daughter likes fish about as much as you do, but the rest of us love it.  Going to the market again on Friday for some wild Alaskan halibut doing the citrus ginger recipe in the book.  

@SineadMon You're doing great!  So glad to hear your confidence is up.  Isn't amazing how much eating the right foods changes things?  Tuck that feeling away and pull it out when you are frustrated.  We were where you are at this time last week.  The week flew by!

@GavinD  congrats on the tiger blood!  I can't wait to feel that energy.  I can tell I'm getting closer, but not there quite yet.

@Mike5858 sounds like you're close enough to tiger blood to taste it.  I'm about where you are and it feels great.  This has been  an awesome group and I, too, am proud of everyone here!

Happy Day 8, 15, 16, etc, all!  We've got this!

On 10/1/2017 at 6:50 AM, dmrob2009 said:

I tweaked a delicious apple pumpkin bake, the original compliments of @Tj V because it is delicious but we'd eaten it several times but needed a change.  Here it is

1.5 c 100% pumpkin puree; 1/2 can shaken coconut milk; 1 semi ripe mashed banana; a small handful of raisins; 1/2 c chopped pecans; 4 beaten eggs; 1/4 tsp ground cloves; 1/4 tsp ground ginger; 1/4 tsp cardamom; 1/2 tsp nutmeg; 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix all together, pour into a large baking dish  and bake on 350  for 30 min.  Yum!!!

Oooh, I need to make that.  It's that time of year and I love pumpkin.  I do love having remakes on common recipes that still leave you with a very similar experience without the bad stuff.  

Archived