September 18 start date

Tj V

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys - was traveling for the weekend and getting caught up here.  First time with multiple times in a restaurant trying to navigate the menu and find something acceptable.  I really hate being "that person" but I did it and got some yummy kabobs at a Lebanese restaurant (got to make my own baba ganoush), and crab and shrimp salad at a seafood restaurant.  Also meeting up with my old college friend and not being able to dig into some glasses of wine with her was a bummer.   Although as she got more talkative and emotional (thanks to the wine) I was getting more tired and ready to go home!

@Mike5858 (and who ever else has a partner in this) I'm glad for you that your wife is along for the ride with you.  It's not been that hard to encourage others to continue on with their beverage choice while I sip my sparkling water, but hard when my husband tries to make compliant dinner as surprise and without talking it through with me, it just misses the mark.  Came home from a long drive to home cooked stew... with the regular season packet.  So it was out for me and had to make a whole other meal.  Also, called on his way home from work last week at 6 p.m. suggesting we just go out to dinner so partially he could wind down from a long day.  Well... I was elbow deep into making my compliant meal and shared that I can't wait that long to not know what's for dinner because I'll go crazy hungry!  It's really easiest if I do all the cooking and stay home as much as possible.  

@Amb_Bomer @Tj V @dmrob2009 kind of bummed to hear the subsequent whole30s have been more difficult than the first.  Because I don't see totally cutting out some items (but will wait to see what bothers me the most) I thought I could plan to do this in the future every so often.  

I know we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves, but my regular gym classes have a once a week weight in that I was excited to participate in last week.  I could tell I'd be down some just by the way my clothes felt, and me too @CorgiLover I could see it in my face.  Luckily it only helped to motivate me to keep going and see it through the end!  

On 9/29/2017 at 7:42 AM, Tj V said:

Excellent! You do know that the poundage loss will probably show up anytime now, but you shouldn't be weighing yourself, cause it can get frustrating and can derail you. I'm 60 and although I've not had all the medical issues you have, I have some issues that come from carrying a gun belt around my waist for 20+ years and all those defensive tactics classes have left me with permanent wrist issues to the point that I cannot do any sort of pushups or holding the position of say a yoga move, called downward dog. Bad back, hips, knees, neck....you get the picture. I've been sedentary since retiring and it's gotten worse the last couple years. I gotta get moving! 
All that to say, good job! Hang in there and keep up the good work! Pretty sure I'm going to Primal Blueprint after this, but considering Bright Line eating book first to get my head straight. Rock on!

@CorgiLover I agree with Tj V.  Don't focus on the weight loss.  This is supposed to be a reset so that you can be successful on your weight loss endeavors after this is over.  Put that scale away!  You are doing great! 

4 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Hi guys - was traveling for the weekend and getting caught up here.  First time with multiple times in a restaurant trying to navigate the menu and find something acceptable.  I really hate being "that person" but I did it and got some yummy kabobs at a Lebanese restaurant (got to make my own baba ganoush), and crab and shrimp salad at a seafood restaurant.  Also meeting up with my old college friend and not being able to dig into some glasses of wine with her was a bummer.   Although as she got more talkative and emotional (thanks to the wine) I was getting more tired and ready to go home!

@Mike5858 (and who ever else has a partner in this) I'm glad for you that your wife is along for the ride with you.  It's not been that hard to encourage others to continue on with their beverage choice while I sip my sparkling water, but hard when my husband tries to make compliant dinner as surprise and without talking it through with me, it just misses the mark.  Came home from a long drive to home cooked stew... with the regular season packet.  So it was out for me and had to make a whole other meal.  Also, called on his way home from work last week at 6 p.m. suggesting we just go out to dinner so partially he could wind down from a long day.  Well... I was elbow deep into making my compliant meal and shared that I can't wait that long to not know what's for dinner because I'll go crazy hungry!  It's really easiest if I do all the cooking and stay home as much as possible.  

@Amb_Bomer @Tj V @dmrob2009 kind of bummed to hear the subsequent whole30s have been more difficult than the first.  Because I don't see totally cutting out some items (but will wait to see what bothers me the most) I thought I could plan to do this in the future every so often.  

I know we aren't supposed to weigh ourselves, but my regular gym classes have a once a week weight in that I was excited to participate in last week.  I could tell I'd be down some just by the way my clothes felt, and me too @CorgiLover I could see it in my face.  Luckily it only helped to motivate me to keep going and see it through the end!  

I'd like to have a better attitude going into the Whole 30 in the future.  It will take some work on my part not to slide to far the other direction when it's all over.  Many healthy people do this once or twice a year to cleanse and reset with no issues.  I hope to be one of those in the future.  Sorry that my dismal initial outlook is a bummer.  It's getting better, trust me!

37 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Oooh, I need to make that.  It's that time of year and I love pumpkin.  I do love having remakes on common recipes that still leave you with a very similar experience without the bad stuff.  

It came straight from my paleo pumpkin pie recipeB)... sans arrowroot powder and maple syrup, of course.  Is that bad? :wacko: Just trying to keep it interesting for everyone.  

• Administrators
On 01/10/2017 at 5:50 AM, dmrob2009 said:

I tweaked a delicious apple pumpkin bake, the original compliments of @Tj V because it is delicious but we'd eaten it several times but needed a change.  Here it is

1.5 c 100% pumpkin puree; 1/2 can shaken coconut milk; 1 semi ripe mashed banana; a small handful of raisins; 1/2 c chopped pecans; 4 beaten eggs; 1/4 tsp ground cloves; 1/4 tsp ground ginger; 1/4 tsp cardamom; 1/2 tsp nutmeg; 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix all together, pour into a large baking dish  and bake on 350  for 30 min.  Yum!!!

This is coming very, very close to being across the line of SWYPO - making desserts with compliant ingredients. Between the ripe banana, raisins and coconut milk I imagine that this is quite sweet and with the eggs and pumpkin combo it is probably a lot like a baked pudding or baked custard, neither of which would be permitted on Whole30. 

Just now, dmrob2009 said:

Yeah, I know.  I will continue to make it for the kids... they don't like it with raisins anyhow.  Got to keep it interesting for them, but I digress... very easy to get out of control with it.  I'll probably quit making it for DH and myself.  :wacko:

And sorry to offer up temptation to everyone.  

3 hours ago, Svmomma said:

It sure does make it easier to have my wife as my partner in this!  We would certainly be in the same boat as you Svmomma, with the confusion over meals!  I had to laugh.  The only set back to having your spouse with you, is when they say something like, "wouldn't it be nice if we could have a glass of wine?", and get you thinking about it when you weren't previously!  LOL  I blessed though, I couldn't do it without her!

4 hours ago, Svmomma said:

Did anyone see this video from the Holderness Family... since my husband isn't doing the 30 with me, he had a great laugh when he saw this!

Too funny!  Change the lyrics from wife to husband and that's out house!

18 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

It sure does make it easier to have my wife as my partner in this!  We would certainly be in the same boat as you Svmomma, with the confusion over meals!  I had to laugh.  The only set back to having your spouse with you, is when they say something like, "wouldn't it be nice if we could have a glass of wine?", and get you thinking about it when you weren't previously!  LOL  I blessed though, I couldn't do it without her!

Yeah we did a cleanse once before together and when he threw in the towel, it was hard not to follow.

That video was so funny! My boyfriend gets into town next weekend and I sent it to him in preparation :)  I've been make it clear to him how important this is to me and that I don't intend to just drop off once he arrives. He'll have to eat what I cook, or cook only what I eat!

This really awful headache has come on me today - around lunchtime. I think it must be work stress but it's making the day much harder. I'm planning on going for a nice walk when I get home and maybe some light stretches to clear it. 

I haven't posted much lately but I continue to enjoy reading about everyone's journey so far. I'm on Day 17 and have few to no NSVs to report, which is making me super bummed. I had thought I was maybe getting more energy but then I slipped into four days of super tiredness. I honestly think I took a three-hour nap yesterday and probably could have stayed in bed all day. While I feel strong in my ability to resist temptation, I still want everything bad. I'm not sleeping any differently. I guess maybe my skin is looking a bit more clear. And I do consider my strength in resisting temptation to be a small victory. But really, I want to feel physically different and I don't. Not at all. 

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm still gonna stick with this and hopefully all of my NSVs will come in the last week or two. But really, this is hard to stick to when you aren't getting any positive reinforcement! 

57 minutes ago, kirbz said:

I haven't posted much lately but I continue to enjoy reading about everyone's journey so far. I'm on Day 17 and have few to no NSVs to report, which is making me super bummed. I had thought I was maybe getting more energy but then I slipped into four days of super tiredness. I honestly think I took a three-hour nap yesterday and probably could have stayed in bed all day. While I feel strong in my ability to resist temptation, I still want everything bad. I'm not sleeping any differently. I guess maybe my skin is looking a bit more clear. And I do consider my strength in resisting temptation to be a small victory. But really, I want to feel physically different and I don't. Not at all. 

Anyone else in the same boat? I'm still gonna stick with this and hopefully all of my NSVs will come in the last week or two. But really, this is hard to stick to when you aren't getting any positive reinforcement! 

@kirbz I'm feeling a bit bushed today, too.  Not everyone has the same timeline, but never fear, tiger blood is near!  Don't give up, you're almost there. ;) 

15 hours ago, kirbz said:

Hang in there!  The books states that everyone is different (and we are).  It talks about how results can take longer depending on things like where your health was when you started, how good/bad did you eat before this, how severe were your symptoms, etc. etc.   You're doing great.  All good things take time.  Sometimes I think I'm feeling better, but then just wonder if I think I'm supposed to because I've stuck to this plan, kind of a mind game.  Hang in there kirbz, things might go slower for you than you want, but this is all so positive, and WILL pay off in the end!

Mike

Didn't eat as well as I should have yesterday....today I feel like I got hit by a truck. Honestly, I was glued to the t.v. all day yesterday. Las Vegas is my home town and I'm retired Law Enforcement from Henderson, Nv. I have tons of friends there and I'm still watching the news to see if I knew anyone. I'm doing better today, with eating. Just want to take pain relievers and go back to bed. Anyway, sorry for not responding to your posts. I'll try tomorrow. Just not feeling it today. Good luck to everyone today. What is it? Day 16? 

21 minutes ago, Tj V said:

Didn't eat as well as I should have yesterday....today I feel like I got hit by a truck. Honestly, I was glued to the t.v. all day yesterday. Las Vegas is my home town and I'm retired Law Enforcement from Henderson, Nv. I have tons of friends there and I'm still watching the news to see if I knew anyone. I'm doing better today, with eating. Just want to take pain relievers and go back to bed. Anyway, sorry for not responding to your posts. I'll try tomorrow. Just not feeling it today. Good luck to everyone today. What is it? Day 16? 

Tj V,   Certainly a more than valid excuse to not eat perfectly.  What a horrible tragedy, multiplied when it happens in an area you know and love.  Thoughts and prayers that all your friends and family in the Vegas area came out of this ok.  A buddy of mine and his wife were there in Vegas at the time.  I called him at 4am, and found out he was ok, and hadn't been at that concert.  Hang in there Tj V!

Good morning and happy Tuesday!  Day 16 for me today.  Yesterday started off great and then something happened to change the vibe and I lost my mojo temporarily.  I felt tired and bummed about mid day and just couldn't get it together after that. To be completely honest, I think it had something to do with the seagull attack in our thread that hit me square on the head yesterday morning. :wacko: That and the events in LV and Tom Petty having a heart attack... really was a bummer of a day.  I did manage to make a dinner that the entire family enjoyed, roasted chicken thighs with peach and avocado salsa, so I experienced a win there.  

@Tj V sorry to hear that you're struggling today.  I totally understand how the events in LV could take the wind out of your sails. Hang in there and don't give up.  You'll be in my thoughts today.  

I hope everyone has a successful day.  Keep on fighting the good fight.  We are getting there.  ;)

Just now, Mike5858 said:

Tj V,   Certainly a more than valid excuse to not eat perfectly.  What a horrible tragedy, multiplied when it happens in an area you know and love.  Thoughts and prayers that all your friends and family in the Vegas area came out of this ok.  A buddy of mine and his wife were there in Vegas at the time.  I called him at 4am, and found out he was ok, and hadn't been at that concert.  Hang in there Tj V!

Thanks so much @Mike5858! I am glad your friends were ok. I had several friends who were there and got out ok, but still waiting for more news. I don't specifically know of anyone who was injured or killed yet, but as I said, tons of friends there. Some had people killed standing right next to them. Just horrific! I'm hanging in and I appreciate your words!

4 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning and happy Tuesday!  Day 16 for me today.  Yesterday started off great and then something happened to change the vibe and I lost my mojo temporarily.  I felt tired and bummed about mid day and just couldn't get it together after that. To be completely honest, I think it had something to do with the seagull attack in our thread that hit me square on the head yesterday morning. :wacko: That and the events in LV and Tom Petty having a heart attack... really was a bummer of a day.  I did manage to make a dinner that the entire family enjoyed, roasted chicken thighs with peach and avocado salsa, so I experienced a win there.  

@Tj V sorry to hear that you're struggling today.  I totally understand how the events in LV could take the wind out of your sails. Hang in there and don't give up.  You'll be in my thoughts today.  

I hope everyone has a successful day.  Keep on fighting the good fight.  We are getting there.  ;)

Thanks @dmrob2009! I appreciate it. It was totally a crap day. I'm trying to make this day a better day. Onward! 

Happy Day 16 everyone!  Life is good, I found Whole30 compliant bacon (even had the sticker on it saying so), and had some this morning.  I feel whole again!  LOL  I really can't wait until this move is completed at the end of the week, and the renovations in two weeks.  Not having access to all my kitchen tools has limited my options.  I think we've had the same 3-4 meals in rotation through all of this.  Exact same breakfast every day (except this morning when I had glorious Bacon!).  Every dinner has been made on the grill and all veggies, with rare exceptions, have been roasted.  The food has been great, and I'm still looking forward to each meal, but I really want to start digging into the cooking aspect of the program.  We may be close to done before that happens though.  Anyway, congrats on getting to day 16 gang, let's all have a great day!

Mike

Just now, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 16 everyone!  Life is good, I found Whole30 compliant bacon (even had the sticker on it saying so), and had some this morning.  I feel whole again!  LOL  I really can't wait until this move is completed at the end of the week, and the renovations in two weeks.  Not having access to all my kitchen tools has limited my options.  I think we've had the same 3-4 meals in rotation through all of this.  Exact same breakfast every day (except this morning when I had glorious Bacon!).  Every dinner has been made on the grill and all veggies, with rare exceptions, have been roasted.  The food has been great, and I'm still looking forward to each meal, but I really want to start digging into the cooking aspect of the program.  We may be close to done before that happens though.  Anyway, congrats on getting to day 16 gang, let's all have a great day!

Mike

Share! Where'd you find it?

1 minute ago, Mike5858 said:

Mike

Yay, bacon!  That's always a spirit booster.  Way to stick to plan, despite limited kitchen gadgets!  Trying to remember if it's day 16 or 17 for me now.  Hmmmm...

Archived