Jump to content

September 18 start date


Tj V

Recommended Posts

We have a small chain of groceries here in the mid-west called "Fresh Tyme".  They had it, it was "Pederson's Natural Farm" bacon.  Paleo and Whole30 compliant.  Not cheap (I think it was $5.50 for a 3/4 pound), but awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tj V said:

Share! Where'd you find it?

We have a small chain of groceries here in the mid-west called "Fresh Tyme".  They had it, it was "Pederson's Natural Farm" bacon.  Paleo and Whole30 compliant.  Not cheap (I think it was $5.50 for a 3/4 pound), but awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SineadMon said:

That video was so funny! My boyfriend gets into town next weekend and I sent it to him in preparation :)  I've been make it clear to him how important this is to me and that I don't intend to just drop off once he arrives. He'll have to eat what I cook, or cook only what I eat!

 

This really awful headache has come on me today - around lunchtime. I think it must be work stress but it's making the day much harder. I'm planning on going for a nice walk when I get home and maybe some light stretches to clear it. 

Hope your headache has subsided, @SineadMon.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

We have a small chain of groceries here in the mid-west called "Fresh Tyme".  They had it, it was "Pederson's Natural Farm" bacon.  Paleo and Whole30 compliant.  Not cheap (I think it was $5.50 for a 3/4 pound), but awesome!

We have a Fresh Thyme...I'll look for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Yay, bacon!  That's always a spirit booster.  Way to stick to plan, despite limited kitchen gadgets!  Trying to remember if it's day 16 or 17 for me now.  Hmmmm...

I had to go count the days on my calendar to see which day I'm on, because I had a big brain fart.  LOL. Day 16 for me.  I don't even know how I forgot that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Tj V We're all thinking of you and so proud of you - watching the news pour in yesterday was so tough and just getting through the day is a NSV. Be kind and patient to yourself. Our prayers are with everyone in Vegas and those across the world who are experiencing any type of pain.

@dmrob2009 The seagull attack clipped my spirits a bit too!!! But just remember we are making some really big changes to our lives that will have lasted results. And yes, the Tom Petty news kicked me hard too... it's been a really emotional start to the week. My headache finally calmed down - but only after I decided to go to bed early (like 8:30 LOL!) rather than go for a walk. I just felt I needed rest and comfort rather than outside. But I'm feeling better today and will go for a walk later.

@Mike5858 I hear you on the rotation of meals... i live on my own and sometimes find it hard to come up with motivation to cook something exciting. I did change up my shopping this week and that brought new flavors. Actually, talking about flavors, I actually think my taste buds were just shot at the end of last week.. When I had lunch yesterday morning I was like, wow I haven't tasted food like this in a while!!!
Day 9 for me - almost into the middle third and pretty proud right now!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day Fifteen for me, halfway!  I was hoping to feel read TIger Blood by now, but I'm happy with where I am.  I feel good, and I think a lot of that is because my sleep has improved, but I can also feel my taste change.  I am finding I want fresher and lighter, all of a sudden, so am going through the veggies with more speed than usual.  Last night I got home from work late, and was hungry.  In the past, I would have poured a glass of wine and made a quick sandwich or pasta.  Last night, I had some sparkling water and made (by choice, looking in the fridge) some spinach sautéed in ghee.  Then went to bed.  I have never had a sweet tooth, and am used to little gluten since my mother was dxed as celiac sprue about 25 years ago.  I thought giving up the cheese and wine would be hard, but so far not.  I occ think "I wouldn't mind one glass of wine", but then I remember my sleep and I can pass.  The cheese I haven't even thought about.  On Oct 18th, I am going to my mom's house for a week, and will have less control over where and what I eat (other family there, football game, etc) but I will toe the line as well as possible and probably start another 30 when I get back.  That will take me to Thanksgiving, and I'm already starting to think about how to maneuver that. 

I haven't seen complaint bacon, so far.  I'm in Florida, land of Publix, which doesn't have anything.  I've heard Costco low-sodium either is, or was, compliant, but when I went there at the start of this I forgot to look, and I haven't been back.  Will probably go tomorrow or Thursday and I will check.  There are several WFs in the area, but the closest is about 25-30mins away and I haven't felt like I wanted to look there enough to fool with the drive.  I used to make my own bacon, brined and then smoked, and I may go back to that if Costco doesn't come through.  I gave it up because a- I love Costco Kirkland Applewood smoked bacon (but it's not compliant), and b- pork bellies were hard to find.  Now they are pretty easy to get, so I'll start the brining on one maybe this week. 

I am so much less tired than I was the first week, so I've joined a weight training challenge and will start that tomorrow.  I can barely lift a dumbbell, but I want to increase strength along with losing excess weight, and I hope this fits the bill.  It feels like a lot, and two weeks ago I would have said no way to fit it in.  Although I'm not screaming with boundless energy, the fact that I am sleeping better is helping me get more out of the usual hours I'm awake.  I'm very thankful for that, and hope it continues.  I realize I didn't eat and sit my way into this condition overnight, so I'm not expecting anything catastrophic overnight, but it feels good to have gone this far already.  Have a good Tuesday everyone :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@Tj V We're all thinking of you and so proud of you - watching the news pour in yesterday was so tough and just getting through the day is a NSV. Be kind and patient to yourself. Our prayers are with everyone in Vegas and those across the world who are experiencing any type of pain.

@dmrob2009 The seagull attack clipped my spirits a bit too!!! But just remember we are making some really big changes to our lives that will have lasted results. And yes, the Tom Petty news kicked me hard too... it's been a really emotional start to the week. My headache finally calmed down - but only after I decided to go to bed early (like 8:30 LOL!) rather than go for a walk. I just felt I needed rest and comfort rather than outside. But I'm feeling better today and will go for a walk later.

@Mike5858 I hear you on the rotation of meals... i live on my own and sometimes find it hard to come up with motivation to cook something exciting. I did change up my shopping this week and that brought new flavors. Actually, talking about flavors, I actually think my taste buds were just shot at the end of last week.. When I had lunch yesterday morning I was like, wow I haven't tasted food like this in a while!!!
Day 9 for me - almost into the middle third and pretty proud right now!!

Thanks so much @SineadMon! That really means a whole bunch to me! I can tell you that I didn't feel all that great, not eating right. Today I feel better because I'm eating right. Just yesterday, I had no real stomach for food. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, CorgiLover said:

Day Fifteen for me, halfway!  I was hoping to feel read TIger Blood by now, but I'm happy with where I am.  I feel good, and I think a lot of that is because my sleep has improved, but I can also feel my taste change.  I am finding I want fresher and lighter, all of a sudden, so am going through the veggies with more speed than usual.  Last night I got home from work late, and was hungry.  In the past, I would have poured a glass of wine and made a quick sandwich or pasta.  Last night, I had some sparkling water and made (by choice, looking in the fridge) some spinach sautéed in ghee.  Then went to bed.  I have never had a sweet tooth, and am used to little gluten since my mother was dxed as celiac sprue about 25 years ago.  I thought giving up the cheese and wine would be hard, but so far not.  I occ think "I wouldn't mind one glass of wine", but then I remember my sleep and I can pass.  The cheese I haven't even thought about.  On Oct 18th, I am going to my mom's house for a week, and will have less control over where and what I eat (other family there, football game, etc) but I will toe the line as well as possible and probably start another 30 when I get back.  That will take me to Thanksgiving, and I'm already starting to think about how to maneuver that. 

I haven't seen complaint bacon, so far.  I'm in Florida, land of Publix, which doesn't have anything.  I've heard Costco low-sodium either is, or was, compliant, but when I went there at the start of this I forgot to look, and I haven't been back.  Will probably go tomorrow or Thursday and I will check.  There are several WFs in the area, but the closest is about 25-30mins away and I haven't felt like I wanted to look there enough to fool with the drive.  I used to make my own bacon, brined and then smoked, and I may go back to that if Costco doesn't come through.  I gave it up because a- I love Costco Kirkland Applewood smoked bacon (but it's not compliant), and b- pork bellies were hard to find.  Now they are pretty easy to get, so I'll start the brining on one maybe this week. 

I am so much less tired than I was the first week, so I've joined a weight training challenge and will start that tomorrow.  I can barely lift a dumbbell, but I want to increase strength along with losing excess weight, and I hope this fits the bill.  It feels like a lot, and two weeks ago I would have said no way to fit it in.  Although I'm not screaming with boundless energy, the fact that I am sleeping better is helping me get more out of the usual hours I'm awake.  I'm very thankful for that, and hope it continues.  I realize I didn't eat and sit my way into this condition overnight, so I'm not expecting anything catastrophic overnight, but it feels good to have gone this far already.  Have a good Tuesday everyone :)

 

I'm with you, @CorgiLover! I've been pretty sedentary and I need to get moving. Sitting around just causes my leg muscles to get weaker and weaker and I already have skinny legs. I'm finding issues with balance as I get older and I'm don't want to be falling all the time! I have a stairs in my garage that go up to the second floor. I think I'll try going up and down those several times each day to start with and see how that goes. My knees sound like tissue paper being crumbled when I do it, but I suspect that will get better eventually. At least it's not 100 degrees plus humidity right now, so that will help with the hot, stuffy garage! 
Cheers, everyone and thanks again for all your kind words!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@Tj V We're all thinking of you and so proud of you - watching the news pour in yesterday was so tough and just getting through the day is a NSV. Be kind and patient to yourself. Our prayers are with everyone in Vegas and those across the world who are experiencing any type of pain.

@dmrob2009 The seagull attack clipped my spirits a bit too!!! But just remember we are making some really big changes to our lives that will have lasted results. And yes, the Tom Petty news kicked me hard too... it's been a really emotional start to the week. My headache finally calmed down - but only after I decided to go to bed early (like 8:30 LOL!) rather than go for a walk. I just felt I needed rest and comfort rather than outside. But I'm feeling better today and will go for a walk later.

@Mike5858 I hear you on the rotation of meals... i live on my own and sometimes find it hard to come up with motivation to cook something exciting. I did change up my shopping this week and that brought new flavors. Actually, talking about flavors, I actually think my taste buds were just shot at the end of last week.. When I had lunch yesterday morning I was like, wow I haven't tasted food like this in a while!!!
Day 9 for me - almost into the middle third and pretty proud right now!!

So glad you are feeling better! You're super close to feeling like a million bucks... keep up the good work!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CorgiLover said:

Day Fifteen for me, halfway!  I was hoping to feel read TIger Blood by now, but I'm happy with where I am.  I feel good, and I think a lot of that is because my sleep has improved, but I can also feel my taste change.  I am finding I want fresher and lighter, all of a sudden, so am going through the veggies with more speed than usual.  Last night I got home from work late, and was hungry.  In the past, I would have poured a glass of wine and made a quick sandwich or pasta.  Last night, I had some sparkling water and made (by choice, looking in the fridge) some spinach sautéed in ghee.  Then went to bed.  I have never had a sweet tooth, and am used to little gluten since my mother was dxed as celiac sprue about 25 years ago.  I thought giving up the cheese and wine would be hard, but so far not.  I occ think "I wouldn't mind one glass of wine", but then I remember my sleep and I can pass.  The cheese I haven't even thought about.  On Oct 18th, I am going to my mom's house for a week, and will have less control over where and what I eat (other family there, football game, etc) but I will toe the line as well as possible and probably start another 30 when I get back.  That will take me to Thanksgiving, and I'm already starting to think about how to maneuver that. 

I haven't seen complaint bacon, so far.  I'm in Florida, land of Publix, which doesn't have anything.  I've heard Costco low-sodium either is, or was, compliant, but when I went there at the start of this I forgot to look, and I haven't been back.  Will probably go tomorrow or Thursday and I will check.  There are several WFs in the area, but the closest is about 25-30mins away and I haven't felt like I wanted to look there enough to fool with the drive.  I used to make my own bacon, brined and then smoked, and I may go back to that if Costco doesn't come through.  I gave it up because a- I love Costco Kirkland Applewood smoked bacon (but it's not compliant), and b- pork bellies were hard to find.  Now they are pretty easy to get, so I'll start the brining on one maybe this week. 

I am so much less tired than I was the first week, so I've joined a weight training challenge and will start that tomorrow.  I can barely lift a dumbbell, but I want to increase strength along with losing excess weight, and I hope this fits the bill.  It feels like a lot, and two weeks ago I would have said no way to fit it in.  Although I'm not screaming with boundless energy, the fact that I am sleeping better is helping me get more out of the usual hours I'm awake.  I'm very thankful for that, and hope it continues.  I realize I didn't eat and sit my way into this condition overnight, so I'm not expecting anything catastrophic overnight, but it feels good to have gone this far already.  Have a good Tuesday everyone :)

 

Way to get moving!  I'm inspired... and completely impressed that you make your own bacon!!:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 17... second day of new job. Seems I caught a cold yesterday on day one :( went home at lunch and hoping to kick my cold tonight. No exercising, but staying compliant even if eating feels like a chore. Last time I tried the whole 30, I got derailed on day 24 due to common cold and wanting comfort food (I think it was mac and cheese). This time, just eating a little less... I'll take comfort in some nice ginger tea.

Hope everyone else is staying strong!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GavinD said:

Day 17... second day of new job. Seems I caught a cold yesterday on day one :( went home at lunch and hoping to kick my cold tonight. No exercising, but staying compliant even if eating feels like a chore. Last time I tried the whole 30, I got derailed on day 24 due to common cold and wanting comfort food (I think it was mac and cheese). This time, just eating a little less... I'll take comfort in some nice ginger tea.

Hope everyone else is staying strong!

Sorry to hear that, @GavinD.  Hope you get to feeling better.  Way to stay strong in the face of a little adversity!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@GavinD I know it’s suggested at a different stage of the timeline but maybe it is part of the program to get some cold-like symptoms. I understand you might have genuinely caught a cold, but I’m sure your body is working hard to get rid of everything else and so might just need some more rest, warmth and nourishment. Also, if it happened during your last round, it might be part of your process?! Just a thought...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m really struggling for something sweet this evening - I got some potentially exciting (and potentially life changing) news about work today and my thoughts and emotions have been running away with me. I’m really craving something sweet :( I’m hoping by writing it down here I can distract myself for a bit longer - and remind myself that it’s this exact reason I committed to Whole30.

 

doesnt help that I had some coffee this morning and yep, I’m almost convinced it doesn’t suit my system as my tummy feels off since this afternoon. Good to know I should avoid it - but this physical feeling isn’t great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@SineadMon I have always seemed to catch whatever office bug is going around when I start at a new place :( usually my immune system is good, but those first few days I feel like I need to wear gloves (impolite) or lather with hand anti microbe gel constantly. Oh and wear a mask. I'll be fine, and it seems like a great place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SineadMon said:

I’m really struggling for something sweet this evening - I got some potentially exciting (and potentially life changing) news about work today and my thoughts and emotions have been running away with me. I’m really craving something sweet :( I’m hoping by writing it down here I can distract myself for a bit longer - and remind myself that it’s this exact reason I committed to Whole30.

 

doesnt help that I had some coffee this morning and yep, I’m almost convinced it doesn’t suit my system as my tummy feels off since this afternoon. Good to know I should avoid it - but this physical feeling isn’t great. 

You got this.  Cravings usually average 10-15 minutes.  You can totally do this.  And congrats on whatever the exciting news about work is!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning, all.  Today is a better day.  Day 17 for my family and I.  I awakened easily after a good night's sleep, which is a first in a long string of bad sleep nights.  Been drinking way to much caffeine (I've been trying to kick the habit for years, to no avail) and decided to start slowly tapering off.  I'm thinking that's why I slept well... a little less coffee yesterday.  Go figure.   LOL.

My daughter asked me to make her some spaghetti squash.  This was big, as the child has been on strike against veggies since she was old enough to talk.  Progress!  My son is another story.  We're still working on it.  

In terms of energy, only the day will tell, but so far,no grogginess and better yet, no headache.  Had a bad one last night.  

I think I've turned the corner, ladies and gents.  Hopefully this feeling carries on into the day.  I actually feel like getting creative in the kitchen today.  Woo hoo!

I hope everyone is feeling better from the bummer of a day that was yesterday (for a few of us, anyway).  Have a fantastic Wednesday and keep pushing forward.  I'm super proud of you all!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@dmrob2009 wooooo! This is fantastic... so thrilled you are feeling better. I believe you may have just described Tiger Blood?!? But then again, I'm only on day 10 so I'm not sure. Yes, yes, I made it to Day 10. I felt so crappy, and emotionally strung out, last night that it was really really tough to fight off some sugar cravings.. but I armed myself with a new book, a cup of peppermint tea and went to bed super early! It worked and I'm feeling better today... I still did wake up tasting a hazelnut latte from Starbucks and some pretzels, but hey, some vivid day dreams are pretty normal amongst this gang right?!?!

 

Have a wonderful day folks, we got this!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning, all.  Today is a better day.  Day 17 for my family and I.  I awakened easily after a good night's sleep, which is a first in a long string of bad sleep nights.  Been drinking way to much caffeine (I've been trying to kick the habit for years, to no avail) and decided to start slowly tapering off.  I'm thinking that's why I slept well... a little less coffee yesterday.  Go figure.   LOL.

My daughter asked me to make her some spaghetti squash.  This was big, as the child has been on strike against veggies since she was old enough to talk.  Progress!  My son is another story.  We're still working on it.  

In terms of energy, only the day will tell, but so far,no grogginess and better yet, no headache.  Had a bad one last night.  

I think I've turned the corner, ladies and gents.  Hopefully this feeling carries on into the day.  I actually feel like getting creative in the kitchen today.  Woo hoo!

I hope everyone is feeling better from the bummer of a day that was yesterday (for a few of us, anyway).  Have a fantastic Wednesday and keep pushing forward.  I'm super proud of you all!

 

 

Yay, congrats @dmrob2009 on turning a corner and seeing some light at the end of the tunnel!  @SineadMon hopefully it gives you something to focus on that progress will come.  Keep on truckin'!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reoccurring food dream... Chocolate chips!  Last night it was crackers.  In each instance I'm literally aware it's not approved, my hand shoving it in the mouth doesn't seem to be in my control, and then I chew and realize how wrong it it.  Then I spit it out.  Or if I did actually eat it, the conversation continues that I'm just going to not start over and move on.  Relief every time I wake!  What food is on other people's minds?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Svmomma said:

Reoccurring food dream... Chocolate chips!  Last night it was crackers.  In each instance I'm literally aware it's not approved, my hand shoving it in the mouth doesn't seem to be in my control, and then I chew and realize how wrong it it.  Then I spit it out.  Or if I did actually eat it, the conversation continues that I'm just going to not start over and move on.  Relief every time I wake!  What food is on other people's minds?

 

It was cake and ice cream for me, but now that I've purged my system of everything bad, the cravings and dreams are disappearing.  Not that I ever ate a lot of that stuff.  I'd just overdo it on birthdays and holidays.  Not anymore!  This is starting to feel too good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Svmomma said:

Reoccurring food dream... Chocolate chips!  Last night it was crackers.  In each instance I'm literally aware it's not approved, my hand shoving it in the mouth doesn't seem to be in my control, and then I chew and realize how wrong it it.  Then I spit it out.  Or if I did actually eat it, the conversation continues that I'm just going to not start over and move on.  Relief every time I wake!  What food is on other people's minds?

 

Ameretto cookies from a local bakery!  Dreamed about them the last two nights!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

Good morning, all.  Today is a better day.  Day 17 for my family and I.  I awakened easily after a good night's sleep, which is a first in a long string of bad sleep nights.  Been drinking way to much caffeine (I've been trying to kick the habit for years, to no avail) and decided to start slowly tapering off.  I'm thinking that's why I slept well... a little less coffee yesterday.  Go figure.   LOL.

My daughter asked me to make her some spaghetti squash.  This was big, as the child has been on strike against veggies since she was old enough to talk.  Progress!  My son is another story.  We're still working on it.  

In terms of energy, only the day will tell, but so far,no grogginess and better yet, no headache.  Had a bad one last night.  

I think I've turned the corner, ladies and gents.  Hopefully this feeling carries on into the day.  I actually feel like getting creative in the kitchen today.  Woo hoo!

I hope everyone is feeling better from the bummer of a day that was yesterday (for a few of us, anyway).  Have a fantastic Wednesday and keep pushing forward.  I'm super proud of you all!

 

 

All of that is terrific news!  I'm right behind you, feeling better every day.  It's funny, I didn't realize how bad I was feeling if that makes sense.  Like the book says, I guess that becomes your new "norm".  I'm not claiming "Tiger Blood" yet, but I feel better than I did two weeks ago for sure!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Happy Day 17 everyone!  I'm a little late checking in.  Lots going on to finish up the renovation of our new condo.  Really exciting!  Movers come with our stuff tomorrow, and we will start sleeping there on Saturday.  I'm glad I started W30 when I did, I've needed the energy!   It's been great to hear the positive stories, and it helps motivate me! I even stopped by a gym yesterday to take a tour and inquire about joining.  Too much work on the condo to do it right away, but I might be able to start right after day 30 or so.  Should help keep me going on this journey of a healthier life.  To be honest, I get a little scared when I read so many stories (not just in our group, I've read a lot on this site) of people who did the program, felt great, and then fell apart.  I've been doing the yo-yo weight and health thing for about 15 years now, and I want it to stick this time.  Have a wonderful and healthy day everyone!

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...