Jump to content

September 18 start date


Tj V

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, SineadMon said:

I’m really struggling for something sweet this evening - I got some potentially exciting (and potentially life changing) news about work today and my thoughts and emotions have been running away with me. I’m really craving something sweet :( I’m hoping by writing it down here I can distract myself for a bit longer - and remind myself that it’s this exact reason I committed to Whole30.

 

doesnt help that I had some coffee this morning and yep, I’m almost convinced it doesn’t suit my system as my tummy feels off since this afternoon. Good to know I should avoid it - but this physical feeling isn’t great. 

Congrats on the exciting news on the work front!  I hope it all works out for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Mike5858 said:

Happy Day 17 everyone!  I'm a little late checking in.  Lots going on to finish up the renovation of our new condo.  Really exciting!  Movers come with our stuff tomorrow, and we will start sleeping there on Saturday.  I'm glad I started W30 when I did, I've needed the energy!   It's been great to hear the positive stories, and it helps motivate me! I even stopped by a gym yesterday to take a tour and inquire about joining.  Too much work on the condo to do it right away, but I might be able to start right after day 30 or so.  Should help keep me going on this journey of a healthier life.  To be honest, I get a little scared when I read so many stories (not just in our group, I've read a lot on this site) of people who did the program, felt great, and then fell apart.  I've been doing the yo-yo weight and health thing for about 15 years now, and I want it to stick this time.  Have a wonderful and healthy day everyone!

Mike

Awesome that you're looking at joining a gym.  So many here that are starting to work out.  Good for you all!!!:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My fiancee and I had some fun last night making dinner. We wanted to make chicken wings so we pulled out every compliant spice blend and sauce that we had and then each made up a handful of wings in a variety of different ways. It was fun! And most of them turned out really good! :-) 

I've also fallen in love with my spiralizer! My parents got me one for Christmas like two years ago but I never used it because I assumed it would be difficult. I can assure you that it's not at all! We made spaghetti with zucchini noodles and it was super simple and tasted pretty good. I've also spiralized cucumbers and beets! They really add something to salads and it's really just so easy. 

I'm still frustrated by the lack of NSVs, especially related to my energy levels, so I'm really trying to do stuff to spice things up and keep it fun. I'm also trying to eat a lot more greens. Maybe that will help? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kirbz said:

My fiancee and I had some fun last night making dinner. We wanted to make chicken wings so we pulled out every compliant spice blend and sauce that we had and then each made up a handful of wings in a variety of different ways. It was fun! And most of them turned out really good! :-) 

I've also fallen in love with my spiralizer! My parents got me one for Christmas like two years ago but I never used it because I assumed it would be difficult. I can assure you that it's not at all! We made spaghetti with zucchini noodles and it was super simple and tasted pretty good. I've also spiralized cucumbers and beets! They really add something to salads and it's really just so easy. 

I'm still frustrated by the lack of NSVs, especially related to my energy levels, so I'm really trying to do stuff to spice things up and keep it fun. I'm also trying to eat a lot more greens. Maybe that will help? 

You're doing awesome.  Keep up the good work and hang in there.  Boundless energy awaits you!  And I soooo need to buy a spiralizer.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dmrob2009 said:

@Tj V are you hanging in there?    

I am @dmrob2009! Have some friends whose daughters were shot, but they are alive! Praise the Lord. I'm plugging away and busy on a commission I have. Wanna finish before Christmas. It's a portrait of my friends daughter who is autistic. Thanks for asking! Hope you are well and I see you are killing the program! Way to go!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

I am @dmrob2009! Have some friends whose daughters were shot, but they are alive! Praise the Lord. I'm plugging away and busy on a commission I have. Wanna finish before Christmas. It's a portrait of my friends daughter who is autistic. Thanks for asking! Hope you are well and I see you are killing the program! Way to go!!

Thank you!  I'm very sorry to hear about your friends' daughters.  They are so lucky to be alive.  

What medium do you like to work with when you do portraits?  My grandmother is a painter and oh, how I wish the artist gene was in me.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Thank you!  I'm very sorry to hear about your friends' daughters.  They are so lucky to be alive.  

What medium do you like to work with when you do portraits?  My grandmother is a painter and oh, how I wish the artist gene was in me.  

My specialty is graphite and I also do colored pencil. I've not tried oil painting yet...I want to though. I really like realism, so don't know if I can get as much as I'd like (hyperrealism really) so that would be a challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh, I just wanted to throw out that I tried some Wild Zora meat and veggie bars as "emergency food" and they are delicious! Based on your feedback, I wasn't very inclined to try the Epic bars because weird textures are impossible for me. So, I tried these and they're quite nice! I've had the Beef Chili and the Curry Turkey. The texture is kinda like a very soft beef jerky, but a little different. It's very tasty though with good flavors!

I highly recommend them! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kirbz said:

Oh, I just wanted to throw out that I tried some Wild Zora meat and veggie bars as "emergency food" and they are delicious! Based on your feedback, I wasn't very inclined to try the Epic bars because weird textures are impossible for me. So, I tried these and they're quite nice! I've had the Beef Chili and the Curry Turkey. The texture is kinda like a very soft beef jerky, but a little different. It's very tasty though with good flavors!

I highly recommend them! 

Thanks for the recommendation, @kirbz. I'll be looking for them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

good morning everyone! I'm waking up to day 11, so most of you are on day 18 - isn't that great... This week went by so much fast than last week and I'm starting to get used to spending all my time in the kitchen cooking or washing up. I'm feeling good today and excited that i've got this far.. definitely for me, the satisfaction of moving through the calendar is really good and motivating. I know this day last week I thinking 'Sure i might as well just give up', whereas now I'm feeling that i've 11 days under my belt so there's no stopping me now - probably a bit too early for Tiger Blood, but just happy that I feel healthy and fresh and proud this morning. Have a great day everyone :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, kirbz said:

Oh, I just wanted to throw out that I tried some Wild Zora meat and veggie bars as "emergency food" and they are delicious! Based on your feedback, I wasn't very inclined to try the Epic bars because weird textures are impossible for me. So, I tried these and they're quite nice! I've had the Beef Chili and the Curry Turkey. The texture is kinda like a very soft beef jerky, but a little different. It's very tasty though with good flavors!

I highly recommend them! 

@kirbz where did you find that? I'm interested to try it!  Thanks for the heads up! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Day 18 for me.  Hard to believe!  Feeling good today.  Definitely around the curve but not at full throttle yet.  I'm so close, though.  

I finally had a full day without a headache yesterday.  Thank goodness, as that was starting to get on my nerves.  Low grade headaches really are debilitating... in a grating sort of way.  My body has been trying to fighting off an ear infection for about a week now, as well.  I read that allergies can cause them so I wonder if ridding the body of allergens and toxins can contribute.  At any rate, I discovered that ionic silver solution dropped straight into my ears has completely eliminated the discomfort.  

We decided that we are going to venture out to Outback Steakhouse tomorrow.  First true family outing since we began this journey.  Fortunately, my DH worked there years ago and knows, for instance, that they cook their steaks in clarified butter.  They're offering endless shrimp now, too... also cooked in clarified butter.  Yipee!  I just have to tell them no bread and butter from the get-go.  That part is going to be hard, so we'll have to cut that one off at the pass. :rolleyes:

Any fun plans for y'all this weekend?

Happy Thursday, all!  Have a good one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

good morning everyone! I'm waking up to day 11, so most of you are on day 18 - isn't that great... This week went by so much fast than last week and I'm starting to get used to spending all my time in the kitchen cooking or washing up. I'm feeling good today and excited that i've got this far.. definitely for me, the satisfaction of moving through the calendar is really good and motivating. I know this day last week I thinking 'Sure i might as well just give up', whereas now I'm feeling that i've 11 days under my belt so there's no stopping me now - probably a bit too early for Tiger Blood, but just happy that I feel healthy and fresh and proud this morning. Have a great day everyone :) 

That's wonderful, @SineadMon.  So happy for you!  Way to rock it!B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dmrob2009 said:

Day 18 for me.  Hard to believe!  Feeling good today.  Definitely around the curve but not at full throttle yet.  I'm so close, though.  

I finally had a full day without a headache yesterday.  Thank goodness, as that was starting to get on my nerves.  Low grade headaches really are debilitating... in a grating sort of way.  My body has been trying to fighting off an ear infection for about a week now, as well.  I read that allergies can cause them so I wonder if ridding the body of allergens and toxins can contribute.  At any rate, I discovered that ionic silver solution dropped straight into my ears has completely eliminated the discomfort.  

We decided that we are going to venture out to Outback Steakhouse tomorrow.  First true family outing since we began this journey.  Fortunately, my DH worked there years ago and knows, for instance, that they cook their steaks in clarified butter.  They're offering endless shrimp now, too... also cooked in clarified butter.  Yipee!  I just have to tell them no bread and butter from the get-go.  That part is going to be hard, so we'll have to cut that one off at the pass. :rolleyes:

Any fun plans for y'all this weekend?

Happy Thursday, all!  Have a good one!

Oh that sounds yummy! I'm sure you'll do great! Have fun. No plans for me, except picking my mom up at the airport. She's coming back home, from Texas, Friday night. Have a great day everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

good morning everyone! I'm waking up to day 11, so most of you are on day 18 - isn't that great... This week went by so much fast than last week and I'm starting to get used to spending all my time in the kitchen cooking or washing up. I'm feeling good today and excited that i've got this far.. definitely for me, the satisfaction of moving through the calendar is really good and motivating. I know this day last week I thinking 'Sure i might as well just give up', whereas now I'm feeling that i've 11 days under my belt so there's no stopping me now - probably a bit too early for Tiger Blood, but just happy that I feel healthy and fresh and proud this morning. Have a great day everyone :) 

Good for you @SineadMon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks @dmrob2009 and @Tj V... it's funny but after sending that post I got a real craving for a 'treat' aka. something non-compliant!!!! Does anyone else struggle with that? Like I know I'm doing so well and am on track and because of that I feel I deserve to treat myself to something sweet or celebratory?! So counter to what we are trying to do, but when I noticed the feeling, I thought I'd get ye're feelings on it? Anyone else struggle with this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Thanks @dmrob2009 and @Tj V... it's funny but after sending that post I got a real craving for a 'treat' aka. something non-compliant!!!! Does anyone else struggle with that? Like I know I'm doing so well and am on track and because of that I feel I deserve to treat myself to something sweet or celebratory?! So counter to what we are trying to do, but when I noticed the feeling, I thought I'd get ye're feelings on it? Anyone else struggle with this?

Well, I'm a bit of a "food addict", so the smallest things trigger cravings.  Natural sweeteners, even juice.  Starchy stuff like white potatoes, stress, the blues... geesh, I could go on.  Reaching out, like you are doing here helps.  Distraction is another one.  I think planning your meals the day before or even the week before and not deviating is recommended by most programs for a reason.  It keeps you from using up your willpower stores.  I don't know about you, but my willpower is very easily depleted. LOL 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Thanks @dmrob2009 and @Tj V... it's funny but after sending that post I got a real craving for a 'treat' aka. something non-compliant!!!! Does anyone else struggle with that? Like I know I'm doing so well and am on track and because of that I feel I deserve to treat myself to something sweet or celebratory?! So counter to what we are trying to do, but when I noticed the feeling, I thought I'd get ye're feelings on it? Anyone else struggle with this?

ALL. THE. TIME.  Just the other day my brother was over and he asked me how I was doing not having popcorn (he's doing Eat To Live) and we are both huge popcorn addicts. Well, thanks brother! I was doing ok, until you had to bring it up!! For the next several days, that's all I could think about!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes - it's so true! @Tj V I just have to look in the direction of a cupcake and I can't shake the image! It's funny the hold some specific foods have on us.. Like there is a Ben & Jerrys store beside my house and I walk past it everyday no problem, but a cupcake and I'm just longing for it :)

@dmrob2009 I agree - keeping to plan has really helped me focus and be clear on what is coming next. I've been snacking too much on nuts this week and I know that, so I'm going to try and reduce that the next few days. But it has helped me stay on track and I think that's a big win!

Also, i'm so glad that we can come on here and be honest rather than just being motivating... i was worried there was something wrong with me when I was feeling this way, even though I'm still so committed but that sneaky little thought of "well you deserve it" came beating it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Yes - it's so true! @Tj V I just have to look in the direction of a cupcake and I can't shake the image! It's funny the hold some specific foods have on us.. Like there is a Ben & Jerrys store beside my house and I walk past it everyday no problem, but a cupcake and I'm just longing for it :)

@dmrob2009 I agree - keeping to plan has really helped me focus and be clear on what is coming next. I've been snacking too much on nuts this week and I know that, so I'm going to try and reduce that the next few days. But it has helped me stay on track and I think that's a big win!

Also, i'm so glad that we can come on here and be honest rather than just being motivating... i was worried there was something wrong with me when I was feeling this way, even though I'm still so committed but that sneaky little thought of "well you deserve it" came beating it!

I think we all have the saboteur within us that we have to talk down daily.  Sigh.  Funny thing is I was reading this comment and eating a handful of pecans... between meals... and I must confess, nuts have been an issue for me this week.  A food without breaks, if you will.  I'm cutting them out for the duration.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, kirbz said:

@dmrob2009 I bought the Wild Zora bars at my local REI (my mostest favoritest store in the whole wide world!)... They were something like $3.25 a pop so not cheap but what about this diet is cheap? 

I don't have that store in town, but we're driving into a larger city for dinner tomorrow so I'm stopping by REI then!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely fantasize about ice cream and cupcakes (though I haven't actually dreamed about food yet)! I've frequently started looking up desert ideas for when I finish... Like, literally, I'll spend an hour looking at Paleo websites for hot chocolate ideas, ice cream ideas, banana bread ideas, etc. It's bad. LOL. 

I will say though, I'm no longer in the frame of mind that I'm going to dive straight back into a bowl of Rocky Road ice cream. Instead, I'm going to try healthier, Paleo variations of desert. Many of them would technically be made with compliant ingredients. Some have small amounts of added sugar in the form of maple syrup or honey. But, they're still pretty healthy! Thank you Paleo Running Momma! LOL, her website is AMAZING for me to look at as a model for what I want my Food Freedom to look like... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@dmrob2009 It looks like you can buy them on Amazon as well, but mostly in 10-packs. Which could be risky. LOL, I was able to buy individual bars at REI so I tried one of each. So far I like the Curry Turkey the best but I still have to try the Mediterranean Lamb. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...