September 18 start date

Tj V

@SineadMon Oh goodness, I can completely relate to how you're feeling. Except mine came on Day 31. I had planned for quite some time to continue on another week so I was not planning on anything special for Day 31. But I was on a simple trip to the grocery store and my mind went out of control! I wanted the cake, and the donuts, and the candy bars, and the ice cream, and the pizza. I deserved those things because I worked so hard and I was so good for 30 whole days! I should reward myself! Why on earth was I working so hard if I didn't get to occasionally enjoy something nice for myself!?

It was a minefield and a total mental screwup. I made it through but it's definitely a lot harder now that I've officially finished the program. But, honestly, that mental battle made me realize that I don't think I'm quite ready for reintroductions yet. I still need to develop a little more control... Or maybe I'm just scared to live in the real world of eating again! 

I have the Food Freedom Forever book but haven't read it yet. Is it worth the read? Would it help me with my challenges? 

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so, here are my official results after 34 days of Whole30: 

Body Results

• lost 15.5 pounds
  • lost 3.5" in my bust 
  • lost 3.5" in my hips
  • lost 2.75" in my waist
  • lost 2" in my thighs

Heart Health Results

• resting heart rate went down from 71 to 55
  • V02 max went from 30 to 35 

NSVs

• fewer blemishes 
  • flatter stomach
  • leaner appearance 
  • clothes fitting better
  • wedding ring fitting better 
  • feeling more confident in my appearance
  • less painful joints
  • less heartburn 
  • less knee pain 
  • fewer carb cravings 
  • improved body image 
  • feeling in control of my food
  • eats to satiety 
  • listens to my body 
  • no longer use food for comfort
  • no longer use food as reward
  • more nutrition in my diet 
  • food no longer has unwanted side effects

Results Not Achieved (and the reason I'm sticking with this for a while longer)

• fewer sugar cravings 
  • think more clearly 
  • feel more productive
  • sleep more soundly 
  • energy levels are higher 
  • energy levels are more even 
  • more energy in the morning 
  • can exercise longer, harder, or faster 

6 hours ago, kirbz said:

Body Results

• lost 15.5 pounds
  • lost 3.5" in my bust 
  • lost 3.5" in my hips
  • lost 2.75" in my waist
  • lost 2" in my thighs

Heart Health Results

NSVs

• fewer blemishes 
  • flatter stomach
  • leaner appearance 
  • clothes fitting better
  • less painful joints
  • less heartburn 
  • less knee pain 
  • fewer carb cravings 
  • improved body image 
  • eats to satiety 
  • listens to my body 

• fewer sugar cravings 
  • think more clearly 
  • feel more productive
  • sleep more soundly 

Wowzers!! Great job!

7 hours ago, kirbz said:

Body Results

• lost 15.5 pounds
  • lost 3.5" in my bust 
  • lost 3.5" in my hips
  • lost 2.75" in my waist
  • lost 2" in my thighs

Heart Health Results

NSVs

• fewer blemishes 
  • flatter stomach
  • leaner appearance 
  • clothes fitting better
  • less painful joints
  • less heartburn 
  • less knee pain 
  • fewer carb cravings 
  • improved body image 
  • eats to satiety 
  • listens to my body 

• fewer sugar cravings 
  • think more clearly 
  • feel more productive
  • sleep more soundly 

Umm, your list is long and something you should be proud of!  

@kirbz This is so amazing and inspirational!!! Absolutely incredible :) I will definitely check in with my NSVs and SVs next week, but I'm also thinking of continuing the program. The stories of reintroduction from @dmrob2009, @Svmomma, @Mike5858 and @Tj V are incredibly enlightening. Also, it just shows how much this program has been a lifestyle change rather than just a detox or reset. 

Before this program, I rarely ate gluten or dairy, beans and legumes if they happened to come with a dish and I would socially drink alcohol. Sugar was the main thing for me, and also my main trigger. As I read into reintro more, they suggest keeping away from sugar (for all the reasons we know of and all of the research support in the book) so I'm wondering if I could just find a happy medium with keeping the main tenets of the program going. I will spend time over the weekend reading up about it some more, but I think this might work for me.

And like @dmrob2009and @Tj V, maybe develop some kind of mix between Paleo, Keto and Bright Living so that I feel I can still have dessert if I wanted, or morning pancakes etc. I know this won't technically be W30 and so I'm sorry if this breaks the rules of the forum, but based on the teachings of Food Freedom Forever, I'm trying to figure out what will work for me. Also @kirbz I'm only a few chapters into the FFF book and it's great!

Thanks so much for all of your support guys.. I took some time to go for a walk yesterday after reading all your comments and I'm recommitted to working on creating and maintaining a healthy approach to food and life :) You guys rock!

15 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

@kirbz This is so amazing and inspirational!!! Absolutely incredible :) I will definitely check in with my NSVs and SVs next week, but I'm also thinking of continuing the program. The stories of reintroduction from @dmrob2009, @Svmomma, @Mike5858 and @Tj V are incredibly enlightening. Also, it just shows how much this program has been a lifestyle change rather than just a detox or reset. 

Before this program, I rarely ate gluten or dairy, beans and legumes if they happened to come with a dish and I would socially drink alcohol. Sugar was the main thing for me, and also my main trigger. As I read into reintro more, they suggest keeping away from sugar (for all the reasons we know of and all of the research support in the book) so I'm wondering if I could just find a happy medium with keeping the main tenets of the program going. I will spend time over the weekend reading up about it some more, but I think this might work for me.

And like @dmrob2009and @Tj V, maybe develop some kind of mix between Paleo, Keto and Bright Living so that I feel I can still have dessert if I wanted, or morning pancakes etc. I know this won't technically be W30 and so I'm sorry if this breaks the rules of the forum, but based on the teachings of Food Freedom Forever, I'm trying to figure out what will work for me. Also @kirbz I'm only a few chapters into the FFF book and it's great!

Thanks so much for all of your support guys.. I took some time to go for a walk yesterday after reading all your comments and I'm recommitted to working on creating and maintaining a healthy approach to food and life :) You guys rock!

@SineadMon Right back at ya!!!  Maybe jump on the reintro thread and keep us posted as to what you re doing after your whole 30 is over and let us know what's working, not working for you?  So glad you're feeling good!

19 hours ago, kirbz said:

@SineadMon Oh goodness, I can completely relate to how you're feeling. Except mine came on Day 31. I had planned for quite some time to continue on another week so I was not planning on anything special for Day 31. But I was on a simple trip to the grocery store and my mind went out of control! I wanted the cake, and the donuts, and the candy bars, and the ice cream, and the pizza. I deserved those things because I worked so hard and I was so good for 30 whole days! I should reward myself! Why on earth was I working so hard if I didn't get to occasionally enjoy something nice for myself!?

It was a minefield and a total mental screwup. I made it through but it's definitely a lot harder now that I've officially finished the program. But, honestly, that mental battle made me realize that I don't think I'm quite ready for reintroductions yet. I still need to develop a little more control... Or maybe I'm just scared to live in the real world of eating again! 

I have the Food Freedom Forever book but haven't read it yet. Is it worth the read? Would it help me with my challenges? 

Food Freedom Forever is an outstanding book.  The simplicity of what Melissa is saying is incredible, but right on.  I'm about 60% done with it, and wish I had finished it sooner.  You can skip over the part where she explains what is "reset" is and how Whole 30 and others work, you've already done that!  If you have this book, read it, you'll be very glad you did.  Awesome job on those SRV's by the way!  You really rocked this program!

22 hours ago, SineadMon said:

Guess I'm gonna have to get that book! Right now I'm reading the Keto Reset. Still a long ways off from putting it in to effect and truthfully not gonna try with the holidays, but will rock it at the first of the year. I'm sticking with "sensible eating" right now and trying to steer clear of the stuff I know makes my stomach hurt and gives me the bloated feeling. Still not having sugar in my coffee, which is huge! 

1 hour ago, Tj V said:

Guess I'm gonna have to get that book! Right now I'm reading the Keto Reset. Still a long ways off from putting it in to effect and truthfully not gonna try with the holidays, but will rock it at the first of the year. I'm sticking with "sensible eating" right now and trying to steer clear of the stuff I know makes my stomach hurt and gives me the bloated feeling. Still not having sugar in my coffee, which is huge! 

That's great, @Tj V!  Getting through the holidays can be difficult when one is trying to stay healthy.  Sounds like you've begun to devise a plan, though!  :D

2 hours ago, dmrob2009 said:

That's great, @Tj V!  Getting through the holidays can be difficult when one is trying to stay healthy.  Sounds like you've begun to devise a plan, though!  :D

Indeed I am. I'm also noticing what foods make my stomach upset. I went through a period of a couple years where every time I ate, I'd get nauseous about 15 min. after eating and it would last for about 5-10 min. then go away. That sucked. So, I can narrow things down a bit more. I'll tell you one thing....carb overload gives me serious hot flashes where my head feels like a zit that might pop and then my face and ears get super red and hot. Not pleasant. Having a little carbs, here and there is ok, but like eating a bunch of popcorn is not pleasant. That stinks because I'm a popcorn addict! Moderation I guess. Learning....

Hi September 18ers! I just wanted to pass along a really delicious recipe that Shawn and I tried last night: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/twice-baked-potatoes-paleo-whole30-vegan/. It was amazing! Even Shawn loved it, which is surprising given that he doesn't much like potatoes unless they're piled high with sour cream and cheese! 

We also tried a few recipes from Mel Joulwan's Well Fed and they were also delicious! If you like real depth of flavor, this might be the book for you! For us, some of the Whole30 Cookbook recipes are pretty bland. Not with the ones we tried from Well Fed!

Please continue to share any resources you love! 

3 hours ago, kirbz said:

Hi September 18ers! I just wanted to pass along a really delicious recipe that Shawn and I tried last night: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/twice-baked-potatoes-paleo-whole30-vegan/. It was amazing! Even Shawn loved it, which is surprising given that he doesn't much like potatoes unless they're piled high with sour cream and cheese! 

We also tried a few recipes from Mel Joulwan's Well Fed and they were also delicious! If you like real depth of flavor, this might be the book for you! For us, some of the Whole30 Cookbook recipes are pretty bland. Not with the ones we tried from Well Fed!

Please continue to share any resources you love! 

Thanks for the recipe!  Nom Nom Paleo's Ready or Not! is amazing.  I also have Well fed 2, which is pretty good.  

Hi guys!!! Day 29 for me! I'm so glad you guys are reviewing books - the only thing that got me through the last few days was a recipe for Pina Colada chicken from well fed! Do you think it's worth getting the book? Also, while I'm almost finished the W30, I do certainly want to continue to eat this way for the majority of the time - do you think the Whole 30 recipe book is a good resource? Or would you just suggest getting one or the other? 

@SineadMon Congrats on Day 29! Amazing accomplishment, just one more day to go! Unless you decide to go longer. :-)

I would definitely recommend investing in a cookbook or two (I pull recipes from like 10 different books and a number of website). Here's my take on Well Fed versus the Whole30 Cookbook. Well Fed tends to have more exotic flavors and ingredients. She has recipes from all over the world and she uses a ton of spices and the recipes have incredible depth of flavor. The Whole30 Cookbook tends to have more straightforward dishes that can be somewhat bland but are a little easier to put together. I think the recipes tend to be more geared toward traditional American flavors... 

So, I don't think I could necessarily recommend just one. They're just very different. For what it's worth, we eat more from The Whole30 Cookbook but tend to add additional spices to the meals. 

If you don't want to invest in a cookbook, there are a TON of online blogs that have Whole30 approved meals!

Everyone else, feel free to chime in if you have a different perspective! 

55 minutes ago, SineadMon said:

Hi guys!!! Day 29 for me! I'm so glad you guys are reviewing books - the only thing that got me through the last few days was a recipe for Pina Colada chicken from well fed! Do you think it's worth getting the book? Also, while I'm almost finished the W30, I do certainly want to continue to eat this way for the majority of the time - do you think the Whole 30 recipe book is a good resource? Or would you just suggest getting one or the other? 

Congrats!!!  You're almost there!!!! Yay!!!!!

Some cookbook suggestions:

Eat Like a Dinosaur; Nom Nom Paleo Ready or Not!; Well Fed and Well Fed 2; The Primal Blueprint Cookbook and The Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals

1 hour ago, SineadMon said:

Congrats on almost being at the finish line.  It's a great feeling isn't it?  My plan has been to stay W30 compliant most of the time (and I have other than my reintro experiments). I have found the Whole 30 cookbook to be better than the basic recipes in the Whole 30 program book.  I also have the Whole 30 slow cooker cook book, but I've only made one thing from it (the chili and it was VERY good, just needed more tomato and a little more spice).  I'm looking at picking up a copy of Well Fed, and I'll take a look at some of the other recommendations folks have made.  I had 0 Paleo books when I started this, so I'm going to have to expand my library.  I'm looking forward the the Whole 30 Fast and Easy that's coming out soon.

It's official! I'll be ending my Whole30 next Monday, October 30. We're going to my mostest favorite restaurant for a work dinner (one that's expensive and I would never pay for myself) and I'm not limiting myself! LOL. Really, I just want their steak tartare, which lists herbed potato chips, crispy shallots, ancho chile crema, and Heidi's greens as the ingredients so it might not even be that bad... 

I guess this means I'm doing the slow-roll reintroduction then? Hmmm... I'll have to figure out how I do this and understand what bothers me, because I really did want to get that out of the program! What do you think that tartare likely has in it?

@kirbz "In the Czech Republic steak tartare (tatarský biftek) is commonly found in most restaurants. The main lean raw beef component is made from sirloin and has a raw egg yolk in a dimple in the center of the ground meat. The meat can be premixed with herbs and spices, but usually the customer is given various spices and condiments on the dish to mix it to the preference of the customer. Steak tartare is typically served with fried rye bread (topinka) and raw garlic cloves to rub onto the toast."

That was taken from Wikipedia.  Basically you could consider it grain reintro, if it's served on bread.  Have fun! 

Archived