Kirbz's Whole30 Log

kirbz

Hi, I'm Kira and this is my second attempt at the Whole30. I made it to Day 7 last year and then opted to quit, deciding that it caused more stress than good (though I did quit before I had a chance to really see or feel any personal victories). I'm in a different life situation now and am committed to making it through the 30 days this time around! I'm going to log all of my meals and exercise publicly as an additional mechanism of accountability. I welcome any feedback, comments, or encouragement. I absolutely love this forum as a support network. 

Goals: 

1. I want more energy. I comment that I'm tired almost every single day and that drives me crazy. I wake up tired, I'm tired throughout the day, and I go to bed tired.
  2. I just want to be healthy again. I know I'm not and I feel it in every part of my body. I'm "only" 32 and shouldn't feel that way. I want to someday be 70 years old and still be active in the outdoors because my body is still strong and healthy. 
  3. I want more stamina to do the activities I love (i.e., hiking, mountain biking, stand-up paddleboarding).
  4. I don't want to be a slave to food. I LOVE chocolate and sugar and all things bad and eat them in ridiculous quantities. I want my food freedom to allow me to have a small portion of something I love and feel satisfied, rather than getting out of control so that I eat the whole bag of chocolate or the whole tub of ice cream. 
  5. I want to lose weight. I am currently in the "obese" category, though most people would not guess that based on the way I look and the activities I do. I feel it though and know this is not even close to being a good weight for me. 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1: Saturday, September 16 

Meal 1: sweet potato hash cooked in avocado oil with apples, onion, chicken, bacon, and two over-easy eggs on top 

Snack: coconut La Croix 

Meal 2: five small chicken tenders cooked in ghee in a cast-iron skillet with italian seasoning and Tessemae's BBQ sauce; steamed carrots then cooked on a stove top for a few minutes in spicy brown mustard and ghee; 2/3 avocado

Meal 3: grilled sirloin steak (quite large) with chipotle chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; steamed broccoli; homemade guacamole

Water Intake: ~80oz, which is definitely not enough for me

Thoughts/Reflections: I probably over-ate today as my fat and meat portioning was quite large but I wanted to start off with a successful day not feeling hungry. So I opted to error on the side of too much and will adjust as I move on. I was surprised that I wasn't hungry between meals and did make it about 4-5 hours between them. However, I slept in (since it's the weekend and I don't work) and didn't eat my first meal until about 9:00 am. I still can't really make the math work in my head to only have three meals when my day starts at 5:30 or 6:00 am.... I guess Monday will be my first test for that! I had some strong cravings for ice cream after dinner (since that's what I normally do) but it wasn't that hard to overcome. Finally, my strategy to just wing my meals worked out really well for me. I hate, hate, hate meal planning and despise the concept of a twice-weekly cookfests so I'm thrilled that this felt good to me today. I think I can do this! 

Day 2: Sunday, September 17

Meal 1: sweet potato hash cooked in avocado oil with apples, onion, chicken, bacon, and two over-easy eggs on top 

Exercise: 45-minute walk in the woods (no elevation gain) 

Meal 2: baked salmon with Tessemae's BBQ sauce and Spice Cave Sea spice; steamed broccoli with ghee; homemade guacamole

Meal 3: orange chicken over cauliflower rice; steamed broccoli

Snack: pineapple strawberry La Croix 

Water Intake: ~120oz (I felt thirsty pretty much all day today and had to pee a million times with all the water I drank) 

Thoughts/Reflections: Today wasn't so bad. It wasn't that hard to stick with the plan. I didn't have any serious cravings, at least none that had me second-guessing my ability to do this (of course, I would happily eat a bowl of ice cream right now). Definitely no hangover symptoms, but I didn't get those the first time I tried this either. I genuinely enjoy the food I am eating. I just hate the meal prep. It takes so damn long to prepare each and every meal. I resent the time but it hasn't been that bad since it's the weekend. I am slightly terrified for how difficult it will be to do this during the work week. I guess I'll find out tomorrow... 

Day 3: Monday, September 18

Meal 1: three scrambled eggs cooked in avocado oil with chicken, orange bell peppers, zucchini, and spinach 

Snack: GT’s Lavender Love kombucha  

Exercise: 30-minute walk over my lunch break

Meal 2: orange chicken over cauliflower rice; steamed broccoli (this ended up being a small meal because I didn’t have a lot of broccoli left and some of the chicken was freezer-burned and I couldn’t bring myself to gag it all down)

Meal 3: Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork with New Primal Classic Marinade & Cooking Sauce; brussel sprouts pan-cooked in ghee with Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning

Water Intake: ~100oz (which didn’t feel like enough to me, but is the amount recommended for me)

Thoughts/Reflections: Eating breakfast early in the morning is really, really tough for me. I gagged my way through it this morning, was not able to finish the whole thing, and did not enjoy it in the least. Cooking during the week definitely sucks. I was “late” to work this morning because, as always, cooking a meal takes way longer than it seems like it should. I was pretty shocked that my seemingly modest breakfast left me feeling full until noon. And then I didn’t eat dinner until almost 8:30 but I didn’t feel that hungry even after nearly eight hours. Dinner prep was made easy thanks to a glorious grocery haul from Costco! Still no symptoms and no improvements. Basically, I feel no change at all. 

Day 4: Tuesday, September 18

Meal 1: two chicken sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; french beans (which are apparently a variety of green bean) pan-cooked in ghee; kraut

Meal 2: orange chicken over cauliflower rice; steamed broccoli (once again, this was a small meal because I couldn’t eat all of it; some of the chicken was freezer-burned and tasted revolting but I couldn’t bring myself to throw away an otherwise perfectly good meal); pineapple strawberry La Croix

Snack: one hard-boiled egg; one snack pack Justin’s almond butter (I’m trying really hard not to snack but I had a work happy hour with drinks and appetizers and I did not want to be tempted to eat there so I indulged a bit)

Meal 3: grilled bison patty with ½ strip bacon and Spice Cave Land Spice seasoning mixed into the patty and Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo, onion, and avocado on top and served between two romaine leaves; cherry tomatoes on the side (this meal was absolutely delicious!)  

Water Intake: ~100oz

Thoughts/Reflections: The struggle is real. Eating a large breakfast early in the morning sucks. It took me about 30 minutes to gag my meal down and I definitely didn’t have time for that. It isn’t that I didn’t like it – it was actually really good – it’s just hard for me to eat early. I think I might consider making my breakfast in the morning and taking it to work to eat at my desk.

On a good note, meal prepping is getting easier. I cooked up my chicken sausage and green beans for this morning, some butternut squash for a post-workout snack tomorrow, and some brussel sprouts for dinner tomorrow, all this morning in about 30 minutes! Yay me! The downside is that I did this instead of a workout. With my long work hours and commute, it’s hard to find time for it all!

I also attended a work-sponsored happy hour with appetizers and drinks at a fancy local restaurant. I ate a snack before going and it really wasn’t all that hard to just say “no” to everything. That felt easier to me than asking a million questions about food compliance, which seemed inappropriate for a sponsored work lunch with executives… Yay me!

Day 5: Wednesday, September 20

Meal 1: small chicken breast pan-cooked in ghee in a cast-iron skillet with italian seasoning and Tessemae's BBQ sauce; steamed carrots

Snack: ½ bottle GT’s Cosmic Cranberry kombucha

Exercise: 30-minute walk over my lunch break

Meal 2: small leftover grilled bison patty with Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo and onion on top and wrapped in romaine lettuce; super small chicken breast cooked in ghee with italian seasoning and Tessemae's BBQ sauce wrapped in romaine lettuce; cherry tomatoes on the side; other ½ bottle GT’s Cosmic Cranberry kombucha

Pre-Workout Meal: two hard-boiled eggs  

Exercise: 45-minute, 3.05 mile trail run (five minute warmup, eight repeats of 3:00 min jogging and 1:15 min walking, ten minute cooldown)

Post-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey; handful of butternut squash cubes, which were pan-cooked in coconut oil (and were actually quite disgusting; I'll be cooking them in ghee with pepper next time) 

Meal 3: Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork with New Primal Classic Marinade & Cooking Sauce; brussel sprouts pan-cooked in ghee with ground pepper

Water Intake: ~130oz

Thoughts/Reflections: Perhaps it was just a good day but I found that breakfast was a lot easier to eat today when it was just a regular meal and not some Whole30-compliant form of breakfast (i.e., eggs). I’m definitely going to continue to explore thinking of breakfast as just another meal and stop trying to make “breakfast” type meals. I really don’t think I like eggs super early in the morning.

I ate a lot today. I look at this list and kinda cringe because it’s a lot and I do hope to lose weight (though it’s the least of my priorities) but it’s what felt right so I went with it!

I’m still not experiencing any symptoms. No headaches, no extra tiredness, no anger. Well, actually, my skin feels papery, thin, and dry, which is not normal. I’m not sure if it’s the changing season or something related to Whole30 though… I am feeling strong in my ability to stick with this so that has been a pleasant surprise and a source of pride for me. It really hasn’t been that hard to say “no”…

Would any moderators mind taking a quick peek at my log and letting me know if there is anything I can improve? I am 100% committed to this and want to be maximizing this experience for absolutely everything it can offer! If there is anything at all I can do better, I want to be doing it! 

I'm particularly wondering about fat. I mostly cook with fat and sometimes have something with avocado. Is cooking with the fat enough? Does having a fatty meat like salmon count as the fat? I certainly want to make sure I have enough since I can't imagine I become fat adapted without eating fat! 

I know you aren't responsible for monitoring these logs but I would be very appreciate if you could let me know if you have any tips or things I could be doing better! Thank you so very much, you guys are amazing. 

Day 6: Thursday, September 21

Meal 1: one and a half chicken sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; french beans pan-cooked in ghee; kraut (this was a very late meal for me (i.e., 9:00 am when I woke up at 6:30 am) because I had to fast for some blood work)

Meal 2: Kirkland Signature Smoked Pulled Pork with New Primal Classic Marinade; steamed carrots; half avocado

Meal 3:  small chicken breast pan-cooked in ghee in a cast-iron skillet with italian seasoning and Tessemae's BBQ sauce wrapped in 2 romaine lettuce leaves with avocado slices (1/2 avocado); steamed carrots

Water Intake: ~80oz

Thoughts/Reflections: I had my worst cravings yet today. I wanted bread. I wanted ice cream. I wanted chocolate candy. I wanted it all. I also began to have doubts that this is worth it. I resisted but it was hard. I’m still committed but it’s hard. In general, this wasn’t my best day. I didn’t do anything active at all and I didn’t drink nearly enough water. I wonder if not drinking enough water contributed to some of the cravings and doubts?

Day 7: Friday, September 22

Meal 1: breakfast hash with smoked pulled pork, Japanese sweet potato, zucchini, orange bell pepper, spinach, Tessemae’s Hot Buffalo Sauce, salt, and pepper cooked in ghee (this meal was freaking amazing and was made entirely of random stuff I had in my refrigerator that I didn’t want to go bad!)

Meal 2: three over-easy eggs pan-cooked in ghee with pepper on top; 2 strips compliant bacon; spinach pan-cooked in garlic ghee

Meal 3: grilled flank steak with homemade taco seasoning; bell peppers, zucchini, and onion pan-cooked in avocado oil with homemade taco seasoning; grated raw green cabbage with lime and pepper; homemade guacamole

Water Intake: no idea, but not enough

Thoughts/Reflections: Not a good start to the day. I was busy and running late this morning so I didn’t get around to Meal 1 until noon. Oops. I still ate three meals though. Is that bad? I also definitely had strong cravings again today. I really, really want some chocolate candy and some ice cream. Why am I doing this again?

I’m loving my freestyle, winging-it approach to this Whole30. I resent the time that meal planning and cookfests take so this keeps my attitude strong and positive. And I’m finding I’m doing a good job winging my meals using whatever ingredients I have on hand. That will be a great skill to have for my food freedom when this is all over.  

I was disappointed that I didn’t get any form of exercise in today and I have no excuse for that but at least I’m continuing to be successful with the Whole30.

Oh, and I cheated today and weighed myself. I struggle with the reasoning for that rule and it has no bearing on my health so I’m having a hard time going alone with it…

Day 8: Saturday, September 23

Meal 1: leftover breakfast hash with smoked pulled pork, Japanese sweet potato, zucchini, orange bell pepper, spinach, Tessemae’s Hot Buffalo Sauce, salt, and pepper cooked in ghee; 1/3 GT’s Gingerade kombucha  

Exercise: 3.5 mile hike with ~750 feet of elevation gain (this was a super mellow hike because I was taking lots of photos of my puppy so I didn’t even bother with a pre- and post-workout snack)

Meal 2: leftover grilled flank steak with homemade taco seasoning; bell peppers, zucchini, and onion pan-cooked in avocado oil with homemade taco seasoning; grated raw green cabbage with lime and pepper; homemade guacamole; 1/3 GT’s Gingerade kombucha

Meal 3: 3 over-easy eggs pan-cooked in ghee; two strips bacon; homemade country potatoes pan-cooked in ghee with white potato, orange peppers, and onion (not my healthiest meal but we forgot to defrost the chicken and we were hungry so this is what we pulled together; this meal definitely did not make me feel great)

Water Intake: no idea, but not enough, especially given that I did a hike today

Thoughts/Reflections: Today was alright. Nothing too good or bad. I’m gaining confidence in my ability to quickly throw together Whole30 meals so I’m thrilled about that. That was my biggest hurdle the first time I tried to do this. It also increases my confidence that I can maintain a Whole30-ish food freedom after this is over. I continue to have cravings for ice cream and chocolate and question whether this is worth it if you can’t eat the things you love the most. I’ve also started to wonder what happens next? Will I do the reintro and then fall off the wagon again? As much as I have thought about and prepared for this (which has literally been well over a year in the making), I somehow never really gave much thought to my long-term eating plans after the Whole30. I’m starting to think about that now and I don’t really know what it looks like (either what it should look like or what I want it to look like). I do know I have a lot of weight to lose so I don’t want to just revert back to how I previously ate. I’m not sure I can sustain this though. It is extremely time consuming and ridiculously expensive…

Day 9: Sunday, September 24

Meal 1: leftover breakfast hash with smoked pulled pork, Japanese sweet potato, zucchini, orange bell pepper, spinach, Tessemae’s Hot Buffalo Sauce, salt, and pepper cooked in ghee; 1/3 GT’s Gingerade kombucha 

Pre-Workout Meal: N/A (I ate breakfast right before I hiked so it didn’t seem like I should eat anything else)

Exercise: 4.2 mile hike with ~800 feet of elevation gain

Post-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey (the hike wasn’t that intense so I didn’t feel the need to add any carbs, particularly since I’m overweight)

Meal 2: grilled hamburger patty with Spice Cave Land Spice seasoning mixed into the patty and Primal Kitchen Chipotle Lime Mayo and onion on top and served between two romaine leaves; homemade guacamole

Meal 3: homemade crab cakes pan-cooked in ghee; broccoli; 1/2 pineapple strawberry La Croix 

Water Intake: no idea again, but still didn’t feel like enough, although closer  

Thoughts/Reflections: Today was a pretty good day. I walked down the ice cream aisle for the first time and it wasn’t that awful. I’ll call that progress. I’m still not noticing anything in the way my body feels. So far, the only NSVs I can claim are that I/m managing my cravings and increasing the ease with which I make Whole30 meals.

Day 10: Monday, September 25

Meal 1: three hard-boiled eggs; a handful of raw baby carrots (this is all I could bring myself to eat and I didn’t eat until after 11:00 am because everything just sounded disgusting)

Meal 2: spinach salad with leftover hamburger patty, bell pepper, onion, tomato, and 1/3 avocado with ground pepper and Tessemae’s Ranch Dressing on top (I definitely want to make salads more often; unfortunately, while this one was delicious, it didn’t keep me feeling full for very long)  

Meal 3: leftover crab cakes pan-cooked in ghee; oven roasted garlic cabbage; steamed carrots; 1/3 GT’s Hibiscus Ginger kombucha

Water Intake: ~100 oz, which really doesn't feel like enough most days (even on a day when I didn't do anything! Is being super thirsty all the time a thing on the Whole30?) 

Thoughts/Reflections: I didn’t really feel like eating at all today. Nothing sounded good. Breakfast was the worst. Overall, it was not the best of days. I feel like I could have made better meal choices and I hardly moved today. I didn’t do any exercise and only got 5,400 steps. Note my best day. Still not feeling any changes in my body… Except that I’m losing weight, which I’m not supposed to be checking and isn’t the point of the program anyway… Hmmm…. The cravings were better today though. In fact, honestly, I’m not sure I had any. So I guess I’ll call that a success!

Day 11: Monday, September 25

Meal 1: three over-easy eggs pan-cooked in avocado oil; oven roasted garlic cabbage; remaining 2/3 GT’s Hibiscus Ginger kombucha

Meal 2: one can Wild Planet tuna with mayo, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, chopped cilantro, lime, and ground pepper; served over a bed of raw spinach

Pre-Workout Meal: 2 hard-boiled eggs

Exercise: 50-minute, 3.54 mile trail run (five minute warmup, ten repeats of 3:00 min jogging and 1:15 min walking, ten minute cooldown)

Post-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey (I’m trying to do without the post-workout carbs as I’m overweight but I’ll monitor how I feel without them as I increase my exercise in the coming weeks)

Meal 3: baked salmon with Spice Cave Sea spices; brussel sprouts pan-cooked in ghee; butternut squash pan-cooked in avocado oil

Water Intake:  ~130oz

Thoughts/Reflections: This is starting to feel somewhat normal and routine. Honestly, I don’t have any specific feelings about today. It kinda just felt like life.

On a happy note, my fiancé said today that he wants to try Whole30 when I’m done! That makes me so very happy as I want both of us to be 70 years old and happy and healthy and enjoying all the outdoors things we love! He doesn’t typically put much stock into eating well so I was surprised but so, so happy!

Day 12: Tuesday, September 26

Meal 1: one and a half chicken sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; french beans pan-cooked in ghee; kraut

Meal 2: leftover baked salmon with Spice Cave Sea spices; brussel sprouts pan-cooked in ghee; butternut squash pan-cooked in avocado oil

Meal 3: “breaded” pork stir fry pan-cooked with arrowroot starch, olive oil and The New Primal Classic Marinade with bok choy, yellow onion, zucchini squash, carrots, crimini mushrooms, red bell pepper and snow peas

Water Intake:  ~120oz

Thoughts/Reflections: I honestly haven’t been giving myself a lot of credit for any NSVs but I think I might be less tired, which is huge because that’s a big part of why I embarked on this journey in the first place. I haven’t noticed any significant increase in energy but I did realize today that I haven’t been feeling tired as often. I haven’t commented that I’m tired lately and I don’t get my normal 2:00 pm yawny/nappy feeling every afternoon at work! Yay! So maybe this is really doing something for me – it’s just subtle! Oh, and my pants are definitely starting to feel a bit more loose so I’m losing weight as well!

Day 13: Thursday, September 28

Meal 1: small chicken breast pan-cooked in ghee in a cast-iron skillet with salt, pepper, and Tessemae's BBQ sauce; steamed carrots; small cup of store-bought guacamole

Meal 2: leftover pork stir fry; lime La Croix

Snack: snack pack of compliant turkey; Wild Zora Chili Beef meat and fruit bar

Meal 3: chicken  breast pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper served over a bed of romaine with onion, bell pepper and avocado with Tessemae’s Lemon Garlic dressing

Water Intake:  ~80 oz, which is definitely not enough

Thoughts/Reflections: Today was surprisingly a hard day. I had a lot of cravings, particularly while at a work BBQ lunch. I wanted cookies and candy so badly! I didn’t give in but I was disappointed at the strength of the cravings. I also got the munchies on my drive home and ended up eating a couple of snacks, which I don’t like doing and which I feel were particularly unjustified today because I didn’t do any form of exercise whatsoever!

I was also fairly tired throughout the day. Waking up was really hard and I was tired after lunch and super tired again on the drive home. Maybe I’m not feeling any energy improvements like I thought maybe I was…

Still not really feeling a lot of NSVs so I hope they come soon! Sticking with this is hard and I could use some positive reinforcement!

Day 14: Friday, September 29

Meal 1: three hard-boiled eggs; small piece of chicken pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; green apple; no vegetables (I ate this meal over about 5 hours and didn’t start eating it until after 12:00 pm)

Meal 2: one can Wild Planet tuna with mayo, ginger lime hot sauce, chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, chopped cilantro, and ground pepper; served in five romaine leaves  

Meal 3: curry with chicken (pan-cooked in ghee), golden potatoes (pan-cooked in ghee), yellow onion, and Yais’ Thai Yellow Curry sauce

Water Intake:  ~100 oz

Thoughts/Reflections: Today’s meals were not timed well and were not particularly balanced for me but I made it through the day and that’s all I aim for on a day like this. We spent a good portion of the day at the emergency room because my fiancé was having severe chest pain. So I definitely call it a win just to stick with the program. It was a high-stress, very tough day but I stayed compliant, even if not following the ideal.  

Regarding NSVs, this is the third day that I've been feeling really tired. Not sure why... I thought I was turning a corner and then very quickly went downhill... 

Day 15: Saturday, September 30

Meal 1: ground turkey pan-cooked in avocado oil with sweet potatoes and apple and seasoned with italian, cumin, paprika, and red pepper flakes (this meal was terrible; bland and boring)

Meal 2: leftover chicken curry with golden potatoes, yellow onion, and Thai curry sauce; ½ GT’s Gingerberry kombucha

Meal 3: spaghetti with ground bison, tuscan pepper past sauce with Italian seasoning and Spice Cave Land seasoning; served over zucchini noodles pan-cooked in avocado oil

Water Intake:  ~100 oz

Thoughts/Reflections: Walking into a gas station was surprisingly difficult today. I wanted everything! I wanted peanut butter cups. I wanted Cheetos. I wanted ice cream. It was tough. I was never really in jeopardy of actually buying any of it but the cravings don’t seem to be waning at all. My energy hasn’t improved. In fact, I’ve felt super tired the last three days. I’m just not seeing the NSVs really at all. I’m really disappointed to be at the halfway point and not feeling any changes. I hope they come soon…

Day 16: Sunday, October 1

Meal 1: three poached eggs; served over russet potatoes pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper with hollandaise sauce on top (the hollandaise was super disgusting and may have forever turned me off to ghee)

Meal 2: leftover spaghetti with ground bison and tuscan pepper past sauce; served over zucchini noodles pan-cooked in avocado oil; ½ pineapple strawberry La Croix

Exercise: 20-minute walk around the neighborhood with the pups

Meal 3: grilled steak with spicy seasoning blend; arugula salad with beets, english cucumber, celery, green onion, and avocado; dressing drizzled on top made with olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Thoughts/Reflections: I was exhausted today. I slept for a long time last night and then I took probably a three hour nap today. I continue to be disappointed that I’m not regaining any energy. Maybe I’m not eating a balanced enough diet? I am striving to eat a lot more greens but I’m not sure that’s going to solve my problem…

We’re going to see a movie tonight so I’m a bit wary of being in a theater without candy. I ALWAYS have Butterfingers or Peanut Butter Cups or Hershey’s with almonds when I go to a theater. This might honestly be my toughest challenge yet. I’ve avoided all other situations like this… Wish me luck!

Day 17: Monday, October 2

Meal 1: leftover turkey breakfast hash with apples and sweet potato (I wasn’t able to eat more than a few bites before I felt like I was going to vomit)

Snack: one snack pack Justin’s almond butter; ½ GT’s Trilogy kombucha  

Meal 2: leftover chicken curry with golden potatoes, yellow onion, and Thai curry sauce; ½ GT’s Trilogy kombucha  

Meal 3: smoked pulled pork with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; leftover arugula salad with beets, english cucumber, celery, green onion, and avocado; dressing drizzled on top made with olive oil, lemon, salt, and pepper

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Supplement(s): Natural Calm dissolved in water before bed

Sleep Last Night: 5 hours 50 minutes (2:46 deep; 2:46 light; 0:18 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: We saw It last night and it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. I always, always, always bring candy to the movie theater and I found myself realizing how strongly I associated going to the movie with having candy as we were preparing to leave. But, it really wasn’t that bad.

My eating schedule was terrible today. I hardly ate any breakfast because it did not taste good at all and I almost gagged trying to eat it. I literally had a handful of bites. Then, I didn’t have time to eat lunch until 5:00 pm. I still ate a third meal though, but that was late and I went to bed feeling quite full.

I think I’m going to try and have some form of salad everyday for the remainder of my Whole30. Despite that I’m eating lots of vegetables and good foods, I think I need more leafy greens. Fingers crossed that this change will help some of those NSVs start to manifest!

Oh, and I fantasize about the desserts I’m going to make when this is over. I’m not planning to rush out and buy my standard tub of Rocky Road ice cream, but I am most definitely going to try some healthier variations of the things I love! I cannot wait! That’s probably not a good attitude…

Day 18: Tuesday, October 3

Meal 1: leftover smoked pulled port with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; leftover salad with beets, English cucumber, celery and green onion  

Meal 2: two-hard boiled eggs; four slices compliant deli turkey; handful of raw carrots and celery

Pre-Workout Meal: one hard-boiled egg

Exercise: 45 minutes Insanity (Plyometric Cardio Circuit)

Post-Workout Meal: one slice compliant deli turkey

Meal 3: BBQ chicken wings (cooked three different ways with three different spice blend/sauce combinations); large romaine salad with onion, red and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, avocado, pepper and Tessemae’s ranch dressing

Water Intake: ~110 oz

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 1 minute (3:12 deep; 5:39 light; 0:10 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: Today didn’t seem like a well balanced diet at all. I stayed compliant but it didn’t seem particularly healthy to me. Too many eggs and too much processed deli meat. But, I had Jury Duty so I was somewhat limited in what I could take to the courthouse with me. I’m not very good at portable meals yet and I hate eating food cold that should be hot.

My fiancé and I did have a fun time cooking dinner. We were making chicken wings so I pulled out all of our Whole30 compliant sauces and spices and we made up a variety of different types of wings. They were all delicious and it felt good to have some fun cooking together.

I also did an Insanity workout today and I actually felt really strong. So that made me feel good. I still don’t see a lot of NSVs in my life but I guess that one counts. Feeling strong during a tough workout is definitely a good thing! I want that increased energy though. That’s really what I’m waiting for and I think I’ll continue to be disappointed until I feel it.

NOTE: I had Advil on Days 16 and 17 for severe cramps. I guess these aren't compliant but I'm not starting over so I'm chalking that one up to "it is what it is." Disappointing, but I'm not sure how to get around the need for some form of painkiller when the cramps are bad and I need to be doing something... 

Day 19: Wednesday, October 4

Meal 1: leftover smoked pulled pork (small amount); romaine salad with onion, red and yellow bell peppers, cucumber, avocado, pepper and Tessemae’s ranch dressing  

Meal 2: baked salmon with Spice Cave sea seasoning and a small amount of Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; steamed carrots; orange avocado salsa with cilantro, lime, and onion  

Meal 3: chicken breast pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; asparagus pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; eight Castelvetrano olives

Water Intake: ~110 oz

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 4 minutes (4:14 deep; 3:31 light; 0:19 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: It was once again really tough to wake up this morning. I struggled pretty bad on my way into work and had to stop and take a nap on the commute. Where is this tiger blood?  

Edit for Day 19: I had a Wild Zora Turkey Curry bar as a snack between Meal 2 and Meal 3. I don't generally like to snack and have done a pretty good job limiting it but I was really hungry so I ate. 

Day 20: Wednesday, October 4

Meal 1: 1.5 chicken apple sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; french beans pan-cooked in avocado oil; kraut; small cup of store-bought guacamole

Meal 2: chicken breast pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; asparagus pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; leftover orange avocado salsa with cilantro, lime, and onion; ½ GT’s Tantric Turmeric kombucha

Exercise: 20 minutes of indoor rock climbing (bouldering; 8 wall attempts)

Pre-Workout Meal: one hard-boiled egg

Exercise: 40 minutes Insanity (Cardio Power and Resistance)  

Post-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey

Meal 3: beef burger pan-cooked in avocado oil; served between six small romaine leaves with mixed greens and guacamole on top; steamed rainbow carrots

Water Intake: ~130 oz

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 26 minutes (4:45 deep; 4:35 light; 0:06 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: Today was a good day. Not because I felt super amazing or strong. But because I didn’t feel anything negative. Except that I really, really wanted to have Cocoa Puffs for dinner. Because, yes, in my past life, I did that on a fairly regular basis…  

Archived