Kirbz's Whole30 Log

kirbz

Day 42 / Day 21: Friday, October 27

Meal 1: two over-easy eggs pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; 2.5 slices of compliant bacon; spiralized russet potato and sweet potato pan-cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land spice seasoning

Meal 2: baked salmon with BBQ sauce and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; steamed carrots; romaine salad with cucumbers, onion, and Primal Kitchen Green Goddess dressing

Pre-Workout Meal: one hard-boiled egg

Exercise (Insanity Day 10): 45 minutes Insanity (Plyometric Cardio Circuit)  

Post-Workout Meal: one slice of deli pepper turkey

Meal 3: shrimp and scallops pan-cooked in ghee with garlic; served over spiralized zucchini noodles with lemon Dijon vinaigrette on top

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Supplement(s): peach detox tea with two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides after dinner; Natural Calm dissolved in water before bed

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 50 minutes (2:46 deep; 6:36 light; 0:28 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: Meh. I am so over cooking. I am so over planning meals. I don’t mind eating the healthy food but I despise the planning and preparation it takes. I want to just sit at a drive through window and come home with a fully cooked and prepared meal. I want to just throw something frozen in the microwave and voila, I have dinner. Does this ever get any easier to plan and prepare?

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 43 / Day 22: Saturday, October 28

Meal 1: two over-easy eggs pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; 2.5 slices of compliant bacon; spiralized russet potato pan-cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land spice seasoning

Meal 2: small portion of smoked salmon; small portion of prosciutto; two slices pepper turkey; one hard-boiled egg; ½ cucumber; 4 stalks of celery (this was not anywhere near enough food but absolutely nothing sounded good and I didn’t want to cook anything)

Meal 3: Buffalo Chicken Casserole (Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook) (this was WAY too spicy for me so I didn’t eat very much)

Supplement(s): peach detox tea with two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides after dinner

Sleep Last Night: 12 hours 35 minutes (3:40 deep; 8:35 light; 0:20 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: It’s definitely time to end this. I am so completely over eating because I don’t want to eat this way anymore. It takes too much work. It’s making me grumpy. Poor shawn has even noticed and it’s affecting him.

I’m also not eating enough lately and I’m not eating well balanced or particularly healthy meals. One more day and then I’m doing reintroductions and then onto my Food Freedom. I am glad I waited a bit longer because I feel more in control of navigating a balanced way of eating then I did after just 30 days.

REINTRODUCTION Day 1: Sunday, October 29

Foods Reintroduced Today: added sugar, alcohol (only that contained in vanilla extract)  

How I Felt: I felt really full for a long time after eating two cookies. No other ill effects. 

Meal 1: one chicken apple sausage pan-cooked in avocado oil with three scrambled eggs and spinach

Exercise: 7.37 mile hike with 1450 feet of elevation gain

Meal 2: baked salmon with BBQ sauce and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; mango avocado salsa

Snack: paleo chocolate chip cookies with macadamia nuts

Exercise (Insanity Day 12): 40 minutes Insanity (Cardio Power & Resistance)

Post-Workout Meal: one slice deli pepper turkey

Meal 3: none (I was still quite full from eating cookies, even after doing Insanity, that I didn’t bother with dinner)  

Supplement(s): peach detox tea with two scoops of Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides after my snack

Sleep Last Night: 10 hours 03 minutes (3:08 deep; 6:46 light; 0:09 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: I ended my Whole30 today, which ended up being 43 days of compliant eating. I found myself becoming quite surly and grumpy as I tried to continue eating perfectly Whole30. Poor Shawn finally sat me down and told me that I shouldn't keep doing this if it was making me unhappy. And it was. I was bitter about all the meal preparation and cooking time. I wanted to try new things. But I felt restrained by Whole30 and so I was angry about it and I wasn’t eating very much because it was all just such a pain in the ass and not worth it anymore.

So, I ended it. By baking some Paleo cookies and eating two of them. The ingredients weren’t at all awful and they were AMAZING! And I so enjoyed the process of baking! I love baking!

Right now, I feel happy. Which I hadn't felt in the last couple of days. It's amazing how food still has such power. We'll see how tomorrow goes. Hopefully starting my so-called reintroductions with cookies won't set my proper reintroductions back too much. I plan to go back to Whole30 tomorrow with the exception of some probably added sugar at dinner while eating out. And then I want to introduce lentils and black beans this week. Those are really the only legumes I would care to eat, and even those are rare. But I do want to do this reintroduction and learn from it everything that I can!

REINTRODUCTION Day 2: Monday, October 30

Foods Reintroduced Today: added sugar, rice oil, unknown other food groups (I did not take the time to find out exactly what was in the food I was served at the restaurant)

How I Felt: I felt slightly ill at the restaurant, with a vague feeling of nausea after eating the steak tartare; I had very a smelly, very nasty bout of diarrhea after coming home from the restaurant

Meal 1: grilled sirloin steak with compliant spices; spinach salad with Green Goddess dressing; mango avocado salsa

Exercise: 30-minute walk over my lunch break  

Meal 2: Wild Zora Curry Turkey meat and veggie bar; Wild Zora Chili Beef meat and veggie bar (poor planning and limited time for lunch meant I had a couple of bars in lieu of a proper lunch)

Meal 3: marinated olives, roasted almonds, deviled eggs, steak tartare with potato chips, braised emigh ranch lamb shank with caramelized Tokyo turnips, roasted squash, leeks, olives and salsa verde (from The Waterboy restaurant)

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 05 minutes (3:23 deep; 3:40 light; 0:02 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: I worried that reintroducing cookies would awaken my sugar dragon or cause me to really crave sweet things again. But, so far, that has not been the case at all. When I baked the cookies last night, I had every intention of taking a cookie to work today and eating it after lunch or whenever I felt like it. But, when I saw them sitting on the counter, I didn’t want one. Yesterday, they were very much worth it. Today, they are not. Is that what true food freedom looks like? I hope so because I feel good! I feel happy knowing I can have one when I want one but also knowing that I won’t always want one.  

I was so very excited about eating at The Waterboy tonight, a local restaurant that I had previously loved. Well, I wasn’t all that impressed tonight and I didn’t like the way I felt during and after the meal. It was nothing significant or dramatic, but it wasn’t good. I’m definitely not doing reintroductions the way I had planned but I am learning a lot from the food choices I’m making. Really, I’m just learning more about what is and is not worth it to me. Oh, and I passed on dessert at the restaurant and it wasn’t even that hard!

REINTRODUCTION Day 3: Tuesday, October 31

Foods Reintroduced Today: legumes (garbanzo beans in hummus)

How I Felt: I felt really full for a really long time after eating my lunch, which I believe only had the hummus as a non-compliant ingredient. I don’t manage my portions very well when eating off plan.

Meal 1: none (slept in and didn't have time for breakfast; it was worth it) 

Meal 2: chicken shawarma; hummus; baba ganoush; cucumber, onion, and tomato salad; pomegranate juice (with no added sugar)  

Exercise: 30-minute walk in the afternoon

Pre-Workout Meal: one hard-boiled egg

Exercise (Insanity Day 14): 55 minutes Insanity (Pure Cardio + Cardio Abs)

Post-Workout Meal: one slice of deli pepper turkey

Meal 3: chicken stir fry with homemade stir fry sauce, green beans, carrots, red bell peppers, and onion; one spear dill pickle

Water Intake: ~100 oz (not enough for a workout day)

Supplement(s): mango black tea with two scoops Vital Protein Collagen Peptides mid morning; Natural Calm dissolved in water before bed

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 52 minutes (4:00 deep; 5:43 light; 0:09 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: I don’t really do well with portion control when eating off-plan. I quite literally can’t ever remember feeling really full after eating a Whole30 meal, despite that I never restricted my portions in the least and wasn’t conscious of managing my portions. But, I’ve eaten off plan a couple of times now and I have felt overly, uncomfortably full each time. And the feeling lasted for hours in each case. I don’t like it.

REINTRODUCTION Day 4: Wednesday, November 1

Foods Reintroduced Today: none

How I Felt: N/A

Meal 1: two over-easy eggs pan-coked in leftover bacon grease with salt and pepper; 2.5 slices of bacon; spiralized sweet potato pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 2: leftover chicken stir fry with homemade stir fry sauce, green beans, carrots, red bell peppers, and onion (not a large portion); lemon and rosemary green olives; basic and garlic green olives; ½ GT’s Gingerade kombucha

Pre-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey; mini snack pack of spicy guacamole

Exercise (Insanity Day 15): 40 minutes Insanity (Cardio Power & Resistance)

Post-Workout Meal: snack pack of compliant turkey   

Meal 3: chicken pan-cooked in avocado oil with BBQ sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; herb salad with Caesar dressing; steamed carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli

Water Intake: ~120 oz

Supplement(s): turmeric tea with two scoops Vital Protein Collagen Peptides mid morning; Natural Calm dissolved in water before bed

Sleep Last Night: 6 hours 35 minutes (2:49 deep; 3:39 light; 0:07 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: It felt good to eat Whole30 today. I feel more confident every day that I can make this a lifestyle. It’s amazing how all the bitterness and difficulty associated with being 100% compliant is completely gone now that I can eat off plan if I choose. If it’s something that is worth it.

Honestly, I bought a few dark chocolate bars from Thrive today. Because the fact is, I want chocolate in my life. I just want a healthier variation of it and I want to be able to conscientiously choose each day whether it is worth having some. I don’t want to eat a bit and then dive headlong into an entire tub of ice cream or an entire bag of chocolate. Which is what the old me would have done! But not the new me!  

REINTRODUCTION Day 5: Thursday, November 2

Foods Reintroduced Today: none

How I Felt: N/A

Meal 1: two over-easy eggs pan-coked in leftover bacon grease with salt and pepper; 2.5 slices of bacon; spiralized beets and sweet potato pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper  

Meal 2: leftover chicken pan-cooked in avocado oil with BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; herb salad with Caesar dressing; steamed carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli

Pre-Workout Meal: two hard-boiled eggs

Exercise (Insanity Day 16): 45 minutes Insanity (Plyometric Cardio Circuit)

Post-Workout Meal: none (didn’t really have anything on hand but ate dinner pretty quickly after my workout)

Meal 3: leftover chicken pan-cooked in avocado oil with BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; steamed carrots

Water Intake: ~120 oz

Supplement(s): peach detox tea with two scoops Vital Protein Collagen Peptides after dinner; Natural Calm dissolved in water before bed

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 42 minutes (4:10 deep; 4:32 light; 0:00 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to report today. Eating leftover chicken for three meals in a row definitely wasn’t a lot of fun but I didn’t want to waste the food and I didn’t want to cook. I guess I should be happy I had compliant food on hand so I could stay on track. I’ll try reintroducing non-gluten grains in a day or two. I think I might try white rice…

REINTRODUCTION Day 6: Friday, November 3

Foods Reintroduced Today: rice, wheat, soy  

How I Felt: My tummy felt a little unsettled after eating the rice bowl but nothing significant. I felt fine later that evening and the next morning.

Meal 1: two over-easy eggs pan-coked in leftover bacon grease with salt and pepper; 2.5 slices of bacon; spiralized Japanese and regular sweet potato pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning  

Meal 2: baked salmon with BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; herb salad with Caesar dressing; 2/3 cucumber; mini snack pack of spicy guacamole

Pre-Workout Meal: one hard-boiled egg; small handful of macadamia nuts

Exercise (Insanity Day 17): 55 minutes Insanity (Pure Cardio + Cardio Abs)

Post-Workout Meal: none (didn’t really have anything on hand and didn’t feel like it)

Meal 3: leftover chicken pan-cooked in avocado oil with BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; steamed carrots

Water Intake: ~100 oz (not enough for a workout day)

Supplement(s): Nordic Naturals fish oil; Green Smoothie Girl probiotic  

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 16 minutes (2:38 deep; 6:28 light; 0:10 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: I’ve officially decided that I’m not following the formal 10-day reintroduction outlined in the Whole30 program. I’m doing the slow-roll reintroduction and eating something off-plan when I feel like it. I honestly don’t think I have any food sensitivities so I’m not really all that worried about that. I just wanted to learn how to eat well and learn to like it. I have. I have a new-found discipline and I feel good eating what I want, when I want. Which will mostly be Whole30 and Paleo, with occasional foods like a burger or pizza.

Tonight, I didn’t feel like cooking. I felt like throwing something in the microwave and having a nice, hot dinner sitting in front of me within five minutes. So I ate a store-bought rice bowl. I wanted it to be delicious but it wasn’t. I loved the convenience of it. But it was overly sweet (like ridiculously so) and it didn’t taste all that great. Funny how my taste buds have changed and things that used to be super satisfying are simply not anymore.  

REINTRODUCTION Day 7: Saturday, November 4

Foods Reintroduced Today: maple syrup, added sugar    

How I Felt: Great! Definitely no side effects from eating sugar. No headache and no significant cravings afterward. I plan to go a few days without significant sugar just to make sure it stays that way!

Meal 1: Paleo pancakes with dark maple syrup   

Exercise: 2.3 mile hike with 300 feet of elevation gain (it was our puppy’s very first hike)

Meal 2: Safe Catch Citrus Pepper tuna served in romaine lettuce wraps with mayo and spicy guacamole

Snack: 6 chocolate covered almonds

Exercise: 35-minute walk around the neighborhood

Exercise (Insanity Day 18): 35 minutes Insanity (Cardio Recovery)

Water Intake: ~110 oz (not enough for how much activity I had today)

Supplement(s): chocolate tea with two scoops of Vital Protein Collagen Peptides before bed

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 16 minutes (2:38 deep; 6:28 light; 0:10 awake)

Thoughts/Reflections: I didn’t eat very well today. I had pancakes for breakfast and then I had some chocolate covered almonds. I still very mych want to continue losing weight so this is not the way I should be eating. However, I wanted those things today and I enjoyed them and I felt good. So I ate them. And I kept my promise to myself that I would be extra active on days that I didn’t eat very well. I did a short hike taking our sweet little puppy on his very first hike. And then I went for a walk later in the afternoon in the pouring rain. I was cold and wet but I was committed to working off that extra food!

I’m still figuring out my Food Freedom but I’m liking what I’m doing so far…

• 3 weeks later...

How did it go? =D

I´m on day 26 today.

I´m sorry you had so many cravings! Did you try eating a lot of protein and healthy fat? I eat avocado and meat before I go to the Shopping Center or any other dangerous place. I´m very amazed that I didn´t have any cravings. And before, I could eat all the chocolate in the wold, specially before my cycle. 

I hope you are doing well!! Your routine seems very interesting, with nice sports and this dog, BBQs with people from work =)

• 1 month later...

Well, here I am again. I swore I'd never do another Whole30. I didn't think I would need it. I had such high hopes that I would truly turn what I learned from my first round into a new, healthier lifestyle. Alas, I did not. I have fallen back to old eating habits, have regained 8 pounds, and have lost all of the NSVs I gained. I'm extra, super duper tired, my joints ache, I have less stamina for physical exercise... All the bad things. 

So, I'm doing another round and committed to making it stick this time. Today is Day 1. 

My goals are much the same. At the end of the day, I want to be healthy again. I want to feel strong and confident in all the physical activities I want to pursue today. And someday, when I'm 70 years old, I want to still be active in the outdoors because my body is still strong and healthy.

Some things I want to do better this round: 

• Eat more greens. Lots more. I want to eat at least a large salad every single day. 
  • Eat more fats. I think I was light on fats my first round so I want to eat more of them, with more variety. 
  • Eat more variety. I want to try new meats (like lamb) and more vegetables (like endive and rutabaga). 
  • Invest more time in making interesting meals. I tended to wing my meals and they were simple. I would like to select more recipes and make nice, fancy meals to share with others. 

ROUND 2 Day 1: Friday, January 5

Wakeup: 6:30 am

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 28 minutes (0:59 deep; 6:29 light; 0:00 awake)

Pre-Workout Meal (7:00 am): one hard-boiled egg and a small handful of macadamia nuts (~8 nuts)

Exercise (7:30-8:30 am): 3.21 mile hike with 647 feet of elevation (147 average HR; 181 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal (8:45 am): snack pack of compliant turkey

Meal 1 (9:45 am): Bacon Spinach Tomato Breakfast Salad (from the Whole30 Cookbook) – three poached eggs served over a very large handful of spinach with 1.5 strips of crumbled bacon, cherry tomatoes, ½ avocado, and homemade dressing   

Exercise (12:15-12:50 pm): 2.1 mile walk around the neighborhood

Meal 2 (1:45 pm): wild Alaskan salmon filet with BBQ sauce, lemon, and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; 1/2 small bag of steamed carrots; large handful of herb salad mix with 1/2 avocado, 1/3 cucumber, and Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing

Meal 3 (6:00 pm): three pulled pork “tacos” with Costco pulled pork, homemade mayo, 1/2 avocado, and Yai’s Thai salsa, served in romaine lettuce

Snack (10:00 pm): Nighty Night tea with collagen

Supplement(s): two scoops of Vital Proteins collagen peptides

Water Intake: ~120 oz

Steps: 16,715

Thoughts/Reflections: Nothing significant to report. Honestly, I’m just tired and would rather go to bed than reflect overly on Day 1.

ROUND 2 Day 2: Saturday, January 6

Wakeup: 7:30 am

Sleep Last Night (with the dogs): 8 hours 19 minutes (1:30 deep; 6:02 light; 0:47 awake)

Meal 1 (8:15 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 1.5 slices of compliant bacon; served over spiralized sweet potato/regular potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Snack (1:30 pm): snack pack of Justin’s almond butter; snack pack of basil and garlic olives

Meal 2 (4:00 pm): medium chicken breast pan cooked in avocado oil with pepper and Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; large handful of herb salad mix with 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cucumber, and Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): large grilled sirloin steak with spicy seasoning blend; medium baked potato with ghee

Snack (9:30 pm): Nighty Night tea with collagen

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Steps: 9,190

Thoughts/Reflections: Shawn surprised me this morning by suggesting that we go camping. So, we packed up and drove in search of open campgrounds. We didn’t know what, if any, would be open so we didn’t have much of a plan. We didn’t end up finding a place to camp but the day was a bit disruptive for healthy eating regardless. I managed to stick with Whole30 eating but the timing of my meals was off and they weren’t as healthy as I would have liked them to be. I also didn’t manage to get my 15,000 steps, which was a goal for me. I could have made more of an effort but I had planned to do it by going on a hike. With our aimless driving, we didn’t have time for a hike before the sun went down. There’s always excuses, right?

It’s still early in the program so I’m not feeling anything of note. Nothing good and nothing bad. I’m not expecting any sort of “carb flu” since I didn’t get that during my first round but we’ll see how this plays out. More to come tomorrow!

ROUND 2 Day 3: Sunday, January 7

Wakeup: 6:45 am

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 37 minutes (2:24 deep; 6:11 light; 0:02 awake)

Meal 1 (8:00 am): four scrambled eggs cooked in ghee with a handful of spinach, salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Wind seasoning (I only ate about half of this)  

Exercise (9:00-10:30 am): snowboarding at Heavenly (three runs, one of which was quite long)

Meal 2 (4:00 pm): medium chicken breast pan cooked in avocado oil with pepper and Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; large handful of herb salad mix with Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing; asparagus baked with ghee, avocado oil, lemon, and AIP Paleo Powder seasoning

Pre-Workout Meal (3:15 pm): one hard-boiled egg and a small handful of macadamia nuts (~8 nuts)

Exercise (3:50-5:10 pm): 3.62 mile hike with 715 feet of elevation (154 average HR; 193 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal: N/A (I forgot to prepare and bring the food)

Meal 3 (6:30 pm): 1/3 lb grilled hamburger with Paleo Powder Original seasoning, Primal Kitchen Spicy Chipotle Mayo, and 1.5 slices of bacon and served between two romaine lettuce leaves; rutabaga fries cooked in olive oil with marjoram, oregano, and salt and served with Tessemae’s Ketchup; compliant dill pickle spears

Snack (9:00 pm): Nighty Night tea with collagen

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Steps: 15,698

Thoughts/Reflections: The breakfast struggle begins… I really struggled with eating breakfast within an hour of waking on my first round and I was unsuccessful today. When I did eat, I only ate a very small portion. As a result, I was super hungry after snowboarding, which was just a few hours later. I didn’t have any temptation to go off-plan though. In fact, I don’t think I really had any cravings at all today. I think the weekends are easier though, because I fill my time with fun activities. Tomorrow, being at work all day where, where I’m not having fun and where I traditionally snack, will be a better test.

One of the most significant changes I’ve noticed since I began eating poorly again that my heart rate has increased dramatically, both at rest and during exercise. My resting heart rate was in the 50s during my Whole30 and is now up to the low 70s. And when I exercise, I am really out of breath. I did stop doing Insanity during the same timeframe so that could have something to do with it as well, but I truly believe the way I eat affects my heart rate.

Still not feeling anything of note. Nothing good and nothing bad.

ROUND 2 Day 4: Monday, January 8

Wakeup: 5:00 am

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 3 minutes (2:34 deep; 4:14 light; 0:15 awake)

Meal 1 (5:45 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 1.5 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 2 (12:30 pm): wild Alaskan salmon filet with BBQ sauce, pepper, and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; 1/2 small bag of steamed carrots; large handful of herb salad mix with Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing; two heaping spoonfuls of homemade guacamole

Exercise (6:45-7:05 pm): indoor bouldering (~10 wall attempts)

Meal 3 (9:00 pm): two small chicken breasts pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt, pepper, and garlic seasoning; steamed broccoli; baked potato with ghee

Supplement(s): none

Steps: 9,438

Thoughts/Reflections: The 2:00-3:00 o’clock hour is usually a tired hour for me. Today, it was a really tired hour. I was yawning every few seconds during a client meeting. Obviously, I won’t be feeling energy gains this early but that was a very tired hour!

I didn’t properly plan for dinner today and ended up going over eight hours between meals. I was absolutely weak from exhaustion and hunger by the time I ate. I did have a Wild Zora bar and a packet of olives on hand that I could have eaten but I felt reluctant to do that for some reason. I think I wanted to avoid snacking even though it was needed and warranted. It’s not like I was reaching for fruit as something sweet…

I'm disappointed that I'm only a couple of days into my program and I've done very little on being active. I really, really want to use this as an opportunity to do both, to eat well and to increase my physical activity. I've set a goal of 15,000 steps a day and am currently at 50% for hitting my goal... Not good! 

ROUND 2 Day 5: Tuesday, January 9

Wakeup: 6:40 am

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 17 minutes (2:42 deep; 5:30 light; 0:18 awake)

Meal 1 (7:45 am): 1.5 Aidell’s Chicken Apple sausages pan-cooked in olive oil; large handful of green beans pan-cooked in avocado oil with salt and pepper; large spoonful of kraut; mini snack pack of guacamole (I was not able to eat the full meal)

Snack (10:00 am): Pukka Revitalize tea (cinnamon, cardamon, ginger) 

Exercise (12:00-12:35 pm): 2.11-mile walk during my lunch break (no elevation gain; flat neighborhood terrain)

Meal 2 (1:00 pm): small amount of leftover chicken sausage, green beans, kraut, and guacamole from breakfast; one medium-boiled egg; Wild Zora Mediterranean Lamb bar; 1/2 Cherry Lime La Croix (I had leftovers from dinner last night set aside for lunch today but I left it at home in the refrigerator; this is what I could come up with based on what I have here at work)

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2.5 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and small spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Steps: 13,111

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Knee pain in the afternoon as I was climbing the stairs
  • Tiredness in the afternoon
  • Control of cravings

Thoughts/Reflections: I need to re-think the timing of my meals. I’m going way too long between lunch and dinner and find myself absolutely starving by the time I have Meal 3. I had planned to have a much healthier meal for dinner today but I was so hungry by the time I started cooking that this is what I felt like and this is what I cooked.

On a positive note, I feel less cravings this round than I did on my first. I think part of it is my level of commitment and knowing what to expect. It's like going to work. I don't like it everyday, but it's what I do. There isn't room for another option. My Whole30 this round feels like that. I may want something sweet but it's not a real consideration. And that feels good! 

ROUND 2 Day 6: Wednesday, January 10

Wakeup: 5:30 am

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 30 minutes (3:24 deep; 3:55 light; 0:11 awake)

Meal 1 (6:00 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in ghee; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Exercise (12:00-12:35 pm): 2.11-mile walk during my lunch break (no elevation gain; flat neighborhood terrain)

Meal 2 (1:00 pm): one can Safe Catch tuna with ~3 tablespoons homemade mayo, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper, cilantro, pepper, and lime juice; served over a large handful of spinach (I was only able to eat about half as I had to run to a meeting)

Meal 3 (7:00 pm): pork stir fry with 2 pieces of thin pork coated in arrowroot starch, soaked in The New Primal Classic marinade and pan-cooked in avocado oil; served with mushrooms, carrots, snap peas, bell pepper, onion, and broccoli pan-cooked in avocado oil and The New Primal Class marinade (no fat in this meal)

Steps: 14,232

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Bloating after dinner

Thoughts/Reflections: I feel hungry a lot more than I did on my first round of Whole30. I think I’m going too long between meals and I’m not eating enough fat. I think my desire to lose weight is affecting my consumption of fat and my willingness to snack when I have long, long hours between meals more than I would like to admit. I’ll have to look at that more closely in the next few days

Nice log @kirbz :) I should use that as inspiration for mine as it gives a really good overview.
Thumbs up!
Bloating may come from the combo of bell pepper, onions, and snap peas? I love all of those but I know I tend to get bloated when I eat a lot of them together (especially when still nicely crunchy).
I agree on the fat content as possible reason - keep us posted on whether an increase helps. I also try to stay away from snacking but have committed to having more fat in the three meals to tie me over well.
Good luck and stay strong :) 

@kittycat Oh thanks, that's very nice of you! I'll definitely continue to monitor my energy levels as I play with the amount of fat I eat. I woke up absolutely exhausted this morning, which could be attributed to the fact that I had absolutely no fat with dinner. Or it could be that it's Day 7. :-) 

Best of luck to you in your health journey as well! 

I just read your whole log and I really enjoyed your thoughts/reflections. Honestly, I kept expecting you to quit because of the difficulty you were having but I was so happy to see you went past the 30 days. Congratulations. I'm terrible at planning and preparing as well so the struggle is real. Best of luck on round 2.

I'm on Day 8 of my first time (going to start a log tonight when I get home from work) so i'm enjoying reading everyone's story

On 1/11/2018 at 11:15 AM, kirbz said:

@kittycat Oh thanks, that's very nice of you! I'll definitely continue to monitor my energy levels as I play with the amount of fat I eat. I woke up absolutely exhausted this morning, which could be attributed to the fact that I had absolutely no fat with dinner. Or it could be that it's Day 7. :-) 

Best of luck to you in your health journey as well! 

Thank you dear! Yes, too little fat can do that - and it's often a combination of factors ;) . I also have a bit of trouble sleeping deep and long enough which I attribute to my metabolism still adjusting. Thumbs up! :) 

• 1 month later...

Well, obviously I didn’t finish that second round back in January… In fact, I quit my second after six days. I stopped for a number of reasons, some of them valid, some of them not.

Poor meal planning was a strong contributing factor. I found myself beginning my drive home at 7:00 pm with absolutely no plans for dinner and nothing available at home. I was facing a trip to the grocery store and cooking while I was really, really hungry. So, I went to the grocery store and bought a personal pizza for dinner.

However, I also realized that this was just poor timing. My intent was for this one to stick. I wanted this round to lead to a permanent lifestyle change. But, I was going on a cruise on Day 37 and I had no intentions of not just eating whatever I wanted while on that particular vacation. So, it wasn’t going to be a permanent change. And so I did some soul searching in the grocery store parking lot and decided that this wasn’t the right time. I decided that I would do another Whole30 after the cruise.

And so, here I am again! My goals remain the same… Overall long-term health is number one. I want to feel strong and confident in all the physical activities I want to pursue today. And someday, when I'm 70 years old, I want to still be active in the outdoors because my body has stayed strong and healthy. Increasing my energy levels and losing weight continue to be goals as well.

And, lastly, I still want to do these things better this round:

• Eat more greens. Lots more. I want to eat at least a large salad every single day. 
  • Eat more fats. I think I was light on fats my first round so I want to eat more of them, with more variety. 
  • Eat more variety. I want to try new meats (like lamb) and more vegetables (like endive and rutabaga). 
  • Invest more time in making interesting meals. I tended to wing my meals and they were simple. I would like to select more recipes and make nice, fancy meals to share with others. 
  • Walk more. I’d like to get 15,000 steps every single day of my Whole30.

ROUND 2 Day 1: Wednesday, February 21

Sleep Last Night: 6 hours 30 minutes (1:45 deep; 4:45 light; 0:02 awake)

Wakeup: 4:30 am

Pre-Workout Meal: N/A (I forgot to prepare food for this last night)

Insanity Day 1 (4:50-5:35 am): Plyometric Cardio Circuit 

Post-Workout Meal: N/A (I forgot to prepare food for this last night)

Meal 1 (6:00 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2.5 slices of compliant bacon; served over small spiralized sweet potato and small spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning 

Exercise (12:00-12:35 pm): 2.15-mile walk during my lunch break (no elevation gain; flat neighborhood terrain)

Meal 2 (12:45 pm): chicken stir fry with carrots, broccoli, and snap peas cooked in olive oil with seasoning, salt, pepper, and Primal Kitchen Classic Marinade

Snack (5:00 pm): Wild Zora Mediterranean Lamb meat and veggie bars; packet of Lemon and Rosemary Oloves (green olives)

Meal 3 (8:30 pm): baked salmon with BBQ sauce and seasonings; large herb salad with ½ avocado, one full cucumber, and a handful of cherry tomatoes, served with Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing and ground pepper; Serenity kombucha 

Steps: 19,109

Thoughts/Reflections: Today felt good. Besides forgetting about the workout food, I felt prepared, enjoyed my meals, and didn’t have any cravings.

I was glad I had a snack between Meal 2 and Meal 3. I think I’m going to have to do that regularly, or eat dinner before I leave work. I’ll probably play around a little bit with both options and see what works. I will plan for a healthier snack going forward though!

Hi @kirbz, I read most of your diary. I really like the thoughts and reflections. So recognizable.

Guess the hardest struggle is to find a way to keep on eating healthy when the 30 days are over and other things are allowed to eat. How to find the middle of the road? I wish it wasnt so hard.

The only time I succeeded in this was when I did weightwatchers for a whole year (after pregnancy). I did the program online and went to the courses and then kept my good eating habits for 5 years. 2 years ago I suddenly started eating crips and cake and now I have to loose 20 lbs again. One thing I know for sure is that a month is not enough to change habits forever, so I hope maybe we can help eachother to find a way after the 30 days.

Archived