Kirbz's Whole30 Log

kirbz

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:22 AM, kirbz said:

I continue to have cravings for ice cream and chocolate and question whether this is worth it if you can’t eat the things you love the most. I’ve also started to wonder what happens next? Will I do the reintro and then fall off the wagon again?

I can share my experience on this. Be patient and soon ice cream and chocolate will not be that attractive. What a freedom ! It really really worth it. Maybe you will not love them as much as before and it is going to be a big release... (sorry if I do not use the good words... English is not my native language...)

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ROUND 2 Day 5: Wednesday, August 8

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 32 minutes (1:24 deep; 5:31 light; 2:37 REM; 0:09 awake)

Wakeup: 8:00 am  

Meal 1: none (I opted to sleep in rather than cook or eat breakfast)

Snack (10:00 am): Numi Organic Balance tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 2 (2:00 pm): four leftover chicken tenders pan-cooked in avocado oil with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; one large handful of green beans pan-cooked in a very generous amount of ghee with salt and pepper; large scoop of guacamole

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): medium filet mignon grilled with spicy seasoning; medium baked potato with ghee; small portion of steamed baby carrots; small side salad with mixed greens, cucumber, orange bell pepper, red onion and Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing

Supplement(s): Primal Kitchen Collagen Peptides

Water Intake: ~90 oz

Steps: 8,828

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Lack of hunger in the morning

Thoughts/Reflections: I continue to struggle with eating the morning. I’d honestly just rather sleep. And even when I try to wake up and eat within an hour, I really have a hard time doing it. I guess I’m just a slow-started in the morning. Today, I didn’t eat my first meal until 2:00 pm and I wasn’t even that hungry. I guess that’s a sign my hormones are seriously out of whack.

ROUND 2 Day 6: Thursday, August 9

Sleep Last Night: 6 hours 52 minutes (0:33 deep; 5:17 light; 1:02 REM; 0:19 awake)

Wakeup: 5:45 am  

Meal 1 (6:15 am): palm-sized portion of smoked pulled pork with Tessemae’s buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper; ~1.5 cups of steamed broccoli; 8 Castelvetrano olives

Snack (9:00 am): Numi Organic Vision tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 2 (12:15 pm): 1½ palm-sized portion of smoked pulled pork with Tessemae’s buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper; ~1.5 cups of cubed sweet potato pan-cooked in avocado oil with spicy seasoning; small herb side salad with Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing; full bottle of GT’s Pink Lady Basil kombucha

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): medium burger patty grilled with salt and pepper; one strip of bacon; four leaves of romaine lettuce; snack pack of compliant guacamole; four large dill pickle spears

Steps: 9,086

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections:  I felt good about eating breakfast at a normal time. I do think that set myself up for a more successful day. All my meals were planned and prepared in advance so that felt good and was a lot less stressful. I want to be exercising more.

ROUND 2 Day 7: Friday, August 10

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 14 minutes (0:22 deep; 5:30 light; 2:22 REM; 0:31 awake)

Wakeup: 6:45 am  

Meal 1 (7:30 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 2 (1:30 pm): four small chicken tenders pan-cooked in avocado oil with The New Primal Mustard BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; ~3 cups of asparagus pan-cooked in avocado oil with 21-spice seasoning; small herb side salad with Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing  

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): two chicken thighs baked in the over with Jamaican jerk seasoning; served with raspberry reduction on top; one plantain pan-cooked in ghee with salt (The Whole30 Cookbook Jamaican Jerk Raspberry Chicken with Sautéed Plantains)

Supplement(s): none

Steps: 7,580

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Frequent hunger between meals

Thoughts/Reflections:  I’m going too long between meals 2 and 3. I get pretty hungry between those two meals and often go up to seven or eight hours between them. I don’t love the idea of snacking and don’t want to have to rely on that everyday, but I also don’t know if I’ll be able to realistically change the timing of those meals.

Also, I continue to be disappointed by the recipes in the Whole30 cookbooks. They all look so tasty, but end up rather bland and boring. I keep coming back to them because they look good. But I’m almost always disappointed.

The experiment continues!

ROUND 2 Day 8: Saturday, August 11

I didn’t keep a detailed log this weekend and can’t remember all the details, so here's a brief summary…

I did eat three meals today (which is an accomplishment these days), including my two favorite meals: (1) hashbrowns, eggs, and bacon, and (2) a large grilled steak and potato. I didn't eat very much fat though, and my first meal was very small because I didn't really feel like eating. I don't think I'm eating enough in general. 

I spent the morning at the beach with my little sister. We did a 15-minute hike into the beach, swam and snorkeled for about an hour, and then hiked back out. It was absolutely lovely!

I’m definitely feeling some very strong food boredom. To the point that I’d rather not eat at all than to have to come up with an idea and then cook it and then eat it. The only things that sound good are not particularly healthy (i.e., my hashbrown breakfast and steak).

I also noticed that I felt extremely exhausted on the "hike" out from the beach. It's seriously probably a half mile with maybe 200 feet of elevation gain and I was absolutely exhausted. My legs burned, I was breathing hard, and I had to stop for a short rest several times. I don't know if it's lack of food or a normal transition to becoming fat-adapted (though I don't know that I'm actually eating enough fat for that to happen). Whatever it was, it was pathetic and not how I normally feel. I don't like it. Guh. 

ROUND 2 Day 9: Sunday, August 12

I didn’t keep a detailed log this weekend and can’t remember all the details, so here's a brief summary…

I ate only one small pre-workout snack and one meal today. My pre-workout snack didn’t end up being a pre-workout snack because I didn’t actually work out. Instead, I slept some more. I finally got around to eating my usual breakfast of hashbrowns, bacon and eggs around 10:00 am. And then didn’t eat again for the rest of the day. I just didn’t know what to eat and I didn’t want to put a meal together.

Today was a really lazy day. After a failed attempt at hiking (there were coyotes on the trail so I couldn’t take the pups), I napped for a long time and then we went and watched a movie at the movie theater. And then I napped some more and watched some more TV. Not a good day, for food or activity.

I’m still feeling like I’d rather not eat at all than to have to come up with a meal plan and then cook it and then eat it. I’m obviously absolutely exhausted. My commitment to this is waning and seems to be directly related to whether or not I have any idea at all for my next meal. I was honestly prepared to end my Whole30 last night. It was only thanks to my fiancé that I stuck with it. I’m grateful for him.

Tomorrow will be rough because I have to wake up at 2:00 am to take my little sister to the airport. But I hope to get back on track on Tuesday since I will be taking the day off.  

ROUND 2 Day 10: Monday, August 13

Sleep Last Night: 3 hours 08 minutes (0:28 deep; 1:52 light; 0:58 REM; 0:00 awake) + ~2.5 hours in my car later in the night

Wakeup: 2:00 am  

Meal 1: none (I didn’t have anything prepared and didn’t feel like eating anyway)

Snack (9:30 am): Numi Organic Vision tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 2 (1:00 pm): leftover home-grilled rotisserie chicken marinated with olive-oil based marinade; leftover pulled pork; handful of asparagus pan-cooked in avocado oil with compliant herb seasoning; handful of steamed carrots; ~10 green olives (this meal was a bit of a smorgasbord of leftovers)

Meal 3 (8:30 pm): large hamburger cooked on the grill with coconut aminos and 21-spice seasoning; two chunks of lettuce; 4 large dill pickle spears; snack pack of compliant guacamole

Steps: 7,573

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Food boredom
  • Lack of interest in food
  • Feeling lightheaded
  • Extreme exhaustion
  • Fatigued muscles

Thoughts/Reflections:  Today was a rough day since I had to wake up at 2:00 am to take my little sister to the airport. By the time I finally ate lunch around 1:00 pm, I think I had gone about 24 hours without food. I really need to start some better meal planning, because what worked for me on my first round is not working for me now. I’m honestly just continuing to feel as though I would rather not eat than deal with it all. I’m starting to wonder if this is worth it… Is not eating all that much better than eating the crap I ate before? My body sure doesn’t feel like it is!

ROUND 2 Day 11: Tuesday, August 14

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 20 minutes (0:53 deep; 4:17 light; 3:10 REM; 0:05 awake)

Wakeup: 6:00 am  

Meal 1: none (I didn’t have anything prepared and didn’t feel like eating anyway)

Pre-Workout Meal: none (I really, really didn't feel like eating anything) 

Exercise (7:30 am-11:30 am): 6.51 mile hike with 787 feet of elevation gain (129 average HR; 169 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal: none (I really, really didn't feel like eating anything) 

Meal 2 (1:00 pm): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2.5 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 3 (8:30 pm): 5 salisbury steak meatballs served with generous portion of gravy; ~1.5 cups mashed potatoes served with generous portion of gravy (Paleo Running Momma Salisbury Steak Meatballs)

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Steps: 20,029

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Mastery over my craving for birthday cake!
  • Less muscle fatigue on my hike

Thoughts/Reflections:  I think this is supposed to be the day that people are most likely to quit. Well, that was true for me. It’s my birthday, and after not eating breakfast and a long hike, I was starving and ready to reward myself with a birthday cake. I went so far as to go to the store and buy my favorite cake mix. But, I told myself I had to at least eat a proper Whole30 meal before cooking it. So, I ate my favorite breakfast and then took a nap. After waking up, I felt much more nourished and didn’t really need the cake, so I put it away for later. Yay me!

ROUND 2 Day 12: Wednesday, August 15

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 30 minutes (0:50 deep; 4:15 light; 2:25 REM; 0:11 awake)*

Wakeup: 6:15 am  

Meal 1 (6:40 am): three scrambled eggs pan-cooked in ghee with salt and pepper (not a very well-balanced meal, but I consider it a victory to have eaten anything given my habits as of late)

Snack (10:15 am): ½ Wild Zora Chili Beef meat and veggie bar + Pukka Revitalize tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 2 (12:45 pm): 5 leftover salisbury steak meatballs served with generous portion of gravy; ~1.5 cups mashed potatoes served with generous portion of gravy (Paleo Running Momma Salisbury Steak Meatballs)

Snack (5:30 pm): ½ Wild Zora Chili Beef meat and veggie bar + small handful of coconut chips

Exercise (8:15 pm-8:35 pm): indoor bouldering (~8 wall attempts)        

Meal 3 (9:30 pm): Chipotle salad bowl with carnitas, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, guacamole and lettuce  

Steps: 11,345

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Super strong muscle fatigue while climbing
  • Improve appetite
  • More steady energy levels throughout the day (i.e., no 2:00 pm slump)

Thoughts/Reflections:  Not too much to report for the day. I was absolutely exhausted while trying to climb today. I did three bouldering walls and thought I would have to call it for the day. I pushed through and did eight walls but wow, my muscles were oh-so fatigued!

I did slightly better eating today, including a better appetite and food actually sounding good again, but I still need to do better for breakfast. I’ll try to work on that over the weekend and establish some better habits before starting the weekend. I know I’m not going to be able to push through this athletic slump if I don’t feed my body more!  

*Slept with the pups for half the night

ROUND 2 Day 13: Thursday, August 16

Sleep Last Night: 9 hours 37 minutes (1:19 deep; 5:29 light; 2:49 REM; 0:05 awake)

Wakeup: 8:00 am  

Meal 1: none (my roommate isn’t being very nice at the moment and I don’t feel comfortable cooking in her kitchen, so I opted to just go without)

Exercise (12:15 pm-12:35 pm): indoor bouldering (~8 wall attempts)

Meal 2 (2:00 pm): Chipotle salad bowl with carnitas, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, guacamole and lettuce  

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): large piece of cod baked with ghee, lemon, lemon zest and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; ~1.5 cups of steamed carrots; medium baked potato with generous portion of ghee

Steps: 9,616

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections:  I honestly don’t have anything noteworthy to say today. Still hanging in there…   

ROUND 2 Day 14: Friday, August 17

Sleep Last Night: 11 hours 05 minutes (0:28 deep; 6:08 light; 4:29 REM; 0:24 awake)

Wakeup: 9:15 am  

Meal 1 (11:30 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 2 (4:00 pm): large portion of pulled pork with The New Primal Mustard BBQ sauce; small side salad with baby greens and Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing

Pre-Workout Meal: none (I didn’t feel like I needed anything since I had just eaten not too long ago) 

Exercise (5:15 pm-7:20 pm): 4.52 mile backpacking trip with 978 feet of elevation gain (151 average HR; 184 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal: none (I really, really didn't feel like eating anything) 

Meal 3 (9:00 pm): ½ Wild Zora Paleo Meals to Go Mountain Beef Stew  

Steps: 16,620

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections:  It felt so wonderful to get out and do a backpacking trip with my loves! I love nature!

Note that today is the first day of my period. Yuck. I took some Ibuprofen to help with the pain and I don’t feel bad about that at all.

ROUND 2 Day 15: Saturday, August 18

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 35 minutes (0:18 deep; 4:59 light; 2:18 REM; 0:18 awake)*

Wakeup: 6:30 am 

Pre-Workout Meal: none (I didn’t feel like eating anything, and really, we just wanted to pack up and get down the mountain)  

Exercise (7:15 am-9:20 am): 4.47 mile backpacking trip with 476 feet of elevation gain (119 average HR; 166 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal: three chunks of chicken breast

Meal 1: none (I wanted a nap instead)

Meal 2 (2:00 pm): two palm-sized portions of smoked pulled pork with The New Primal Mustard BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; large side salad with baby greens and Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): tri-tip cooked on the grill and after soaking in a marinade for a few hours; one half twice baked Japanese sweet potato with bacon, coconut cream, ghee, spinach, carmelized onion, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper (Jay’s Baking Me Crazy Best Paleo Whole30 Marinade and Paleo Running Momma Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes)

Steps: 15,731

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections:  I increased my exercise pretty significantly this week and I feel really great about that! I’m not saying that I feel super strong and energetic and amazing. I’m just proud of the accomplishment of doing that. Of course, I don’t feel terrible like I did earlier this week with some of the exercise so I’ll call that a small victory. Really, today wasn’t about food at all. It was about getting into the backcountry with the love of my life and our sweet little pups. All were happy!  

*Slept in a tent in the backcountry (we were backpacking)

ROUND 2 Day 16: Sunday, August 19

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 17 minutes (0:37 deep; 4:22 light; 3:18 REM; 0:25 awake)

Wakeup: 7:00 am 

Meal 1 (8:00 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2 slices of compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Pre-Workout Meal: none (I didn’t feel like I needed anything since I had just eaten not too long ago) 

Exercise (9:45 am-12:55 pm): 5.93 mile hike with 1,306 feet of elevation gain (142 average HR; 185 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal (1:30 pm): two snack packs of compliant deli turkey

Meal 2 (2:00 pm): palm-sized portion of smoked pulled pork with The New Primal Classic BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; medium side salad with baby greens, ½ avocado and Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing; one half leftover twice baked Japanese sweet potato

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): two chicken thighs pan-cooked in avocado oil with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; ~2 cups steamed broccoli; ~1 cup steamed carrots; snack pack of compliant guacamole

Steps: 18,137

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Developed a cold sore
  • Strong cravings for pizza and cake and ice cream today (I feel like I should be able to reward myself with these things after a long, brutal hike)

Thoughts/Reflections:  Shawn and I have hiked over 20 miles in the past week! It’s slowly getting easier. I don’t know if that’s due to Whole30 or simply due to improvement over time, but I’ll take it! We’ve had a wonderful time!

I still need to work on how much I eat and I want to be eating more fat. I especially need to work on the pre- and post-workout meals. Though I honestly kinda struggle to understand the timing for them when doing long hikes… Often, I leave right after breakfast, so do I really need to eat something else? And often I eat a carb-dense veggie for my breakfast so am I sabotaging my hike be eating carbs before I go? Should I eat a fat and protein mid-way through? Guh. I’m probably overthinking it, but I’d like to at least try to do it the most perfect way I can, but I don’t even know what that is!

I’m also really struggling with the “food as a reward” concept. Shawn I were talking about that on the way down from our hike today. We did a long hike with quite a bit of climbing. When we do that, we’re so used to being able to reward ourselves at the end by having a pizza or burger and ice cream. It totally sucks to not be able to do that. Coming home and having meat and veggies after a long, brutal hike totally sucks. No way around that.

ROUND 2 Day 17: Monday, August 20

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 23 minutes (0:59 deep; 5:23 light; 2:13 REM; 0:27 awake)

Meal 1 (7:00 am): 1.5 chicken apple sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; citrus aloe smoothie with coconut water, orange juice, aloe vera juice, spinach, parsley, pineapple, and avocado  

Meal 2 (12:45 pm): two leftover chicken thighs pan-cooked in avocado oil with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; ~1 cup steamed carrots; one half leftover twice baked Japanese sweet potato; ~12 green olives

Snack (2:00 pm): Numi Organic Embrace tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Exercise (7:00 pm-8:00 pm): indoor top rop climbing and bouldering (~4 big wall + ~2 bouldering wall attempts)

Meal 3 (9:00 pm): Chipotle salad bowl with carnitas, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, guacamole and lettuce

Water Intake: ~ 90 oz

Steps: 8,535

Symptoms/NSVs:

• More steady energy levels throughout the day (i.e., no afternoon slump)

Thoughts/Reflections: I know, I know. Smoothies are not recommended. I actually don’t like not eating according to both the rules and the regulations. But I’ve been so seriously struggling with breakfast that this sounded like a slightly better option than no breakfast at all. So here I am. I enjoyed my damn smoothie.

I continue to struggle with not being able to "reward" myself with food. My fiance and I hiked over 20 miles in the last week, including 15 this weekend. On Sunday, our hike was a bit tougher than our usual (though not our hardest hike by any means) and I really wanted to be able to come home and eat a fabulous pizza or burger and ice cream. I felt like I deserved something amazing after working my body so hard. 

As much as I loved my first Whole30, I never got to a point where I felt like I didn't want those foods. I never got to a point where I truly changed my view on this concept. Because I do think it's okay to do that (particularly for me since I don't have any food sensitivities). I still generally like the idea of an 80/20 or 90/10 concept where I eat Paleo/Whole30-ish the vast majority of the time but then don't worry about it for times like this. 

I guess I'm starting to really think again about what life looks like after Whole30. And I still don't have an answer that sounds good to me for forever. That's hard. I'm making such a big change. I need this to transition into a permanent lifestyle... And that's really the hardest part of all of this! 

ROUND 2 Day 18: Tuesday, August 21

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 55 minutes (0:43 deep; 4:45 light; 2:27 REM; 0:01 awake)

Wakeup: 6:00 am          

Exercise (6:50 pm-7:40 pm): indoor top rop climbing (~4 big wall attempts, including my first succesful 5.9 (at least in a very long time))

Snack (9:00 am): Numi Organic Embrace tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 1 (9:45 am): Wild Zora Curry Turkey meat and veggie bar + small handful of coconut chips

Meal 2 (1:45 pm): palm-sized portion of smoked pulled pork; one half leftover twice baked Japanese sweet potato; citrus aloe smoothie with coconut water, orange juice, aloe vera juice, spinach, parsley, pineapple, and avocado 

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): two bowls of chicken breast stir fry with The New Primal Classic Marinade and frozen vegetables, including carrots, onion, bell pepper, water chestnuts, mushrooms, broccolu, snap peas, and green beans

Water Intake: ~ 90 oz

Steps: 11,672

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to say today. I still think I could eat a little more, particularly for breakfast, and I definitely need to be drinking more water. But I’m super proud of my exercise schedule!

ROUND 2 Day 19: Wednesday, August 22

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 30 minutes (0:34 deep; 5:01 light; 1:55 REM; 0:07 awake)

Wakeup: 5:15 am          

Meal 1 (6:00 am): four scrambled eggs mixed with a small amount of coconut milk cooked in ghee with salt and pepper

Snack (10:00 am): Numi Organic Embrace tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Exercise (12:10 am-12:50 am): 2.16-mile walk during my lunch break (no elevation gain; flat neighborhood terrain)

Meal 2 (12:30 pm): large piece of salmon baked in the oven with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce; ~2 cups leftover stir fry vegetables

Pre-Workout Meal (6:00 pm): two hard-boiled eggs + snack pack of coconut butter  

Exercise (6:45 pm-8:00 pm): 15.27-mile road bike ride with 361 feet of elevation gain (132 average HR; 176 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal (8:15 pm): two snack packs of compliant deli turkey

Meal 3 (8:45 pm): Chipotle salad bowl with carnitas, pico de gallo, tomatillo salsa, guacamole and lettuce  

Water Intake: ~120 oz

Steps: 14,080

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: Just another day on Whole30…  

ROUND 2 Day 20: Thursday, August 23

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 07 minutes (1:13 deep; 5:10 light; 1:44 REM; 0:12 awake)

Meal 1: none (too busy with work)  

Snack (9:30 am): Pukka Revitalize tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Meal 2: none (too busy with work)  

Snack (4:00 pm): snack pack of black olives + snack pack of applesauce

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): ½ lb burger patty pan-cooked in avocado oil with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper; 5 dill pickle spears; ~1 cup steamed carrots; large scoop of guacamole

Water Intake: ~60 oz

Steps: 7,590

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Clearer skin (two co-workers commented that I’m “glowing”)

Thoughts/Reflections: These kinds of days frustrate me. I have such good intentions to eat Whole30 but then life gets in the way. I was pulled into a special work project at 8:45 pm last night and had to be to work very, very early today. I worked on it all day and into the evening. Guh.

I definitely wanted to give up this evening because I was so hungry. When I allow myself to get to that point, my commitment drops big time. Why am I even doing this? I deserve a nice treat. I want McDonalds. And well, it goes on and on…   

ROUND 2 Day 21: Friday, August 24

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 41 minutes (1:40 deep; 4:53 light; 2:08 REM; 0:29 awake)

Meal 1: none (too busy with work)  

Meal 2: none (too busy with work) 

Meal 3 (9:30 pm): four scrambled eggs pan-cooked in ghee with coconut milk, salt and pepper

Water Intake: ~60 oz

Steps: 5,567

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: Bad day, both professionally and personally.

ROUND 2 Day 22: Saturday, August 25

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 06 minutes (0:36 deep; 5:15 light; 2:15 REM; 0:01 awake)*

Wakeup: 6:30 am          

Meal 1 (10:00 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and medium spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Pre-Workout Meal: none

Exercise (12:30 pm-6:00 pm): 10.17-ish mile hike with 1,142 feet of elevation gain (111 average HR; 179 max HR)

Snack (2:30 pm): Wild Zora Chili Beef meat and veggie bar + snack pack of Justin’s almond butter

Post-Workout Meal: none

Meal 2: none

Meal 3 (8:00 pm): large chunk of roast cooked in the crock pot in NON-COMPLIANT beef bone broth, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice, with carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery

Steps: 16,949 (this should really be more because my GPS died halfway through my hike)

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: I’m still not managing to eat three meals a day, which is frustrating, because I can’t really explain why I’m not making the time most days. I was busy cleaning this morning, but I should have made the time to eat early and then have a lunch before my hike. But, I didn’t.

I also knowingly ate non-compliant roast for dinner. The beef broth had a couple of non-compliant ingredients (yeast and maltodextrin), but I opted to eat it anyway and it was the right decision given my personal context at the time. I don’t really feel bad about it, though I know I should probably start over. But I’m not going to. I know I don’t have any food sensitivities and it’s more important for me to see this through than to start over, which I honestly wouldn’t do. So yeah, I’m normally all-or-nothing but this is the best I can do right now.

*slept with the pups

ROUND 2 Day 23: Sunday, August 26

Sleep Last Night: 10 hours 17 minutes (1:23 deep; 5:53 light; 3:01 REM; 0:13 awake)*

Wakeup: 8:15 am          

Meal 1 (11:00 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; 2.5 slices compliant bacon; served over medium spiralized sweet potato and small spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning

Meal 2: none

Meal 3 (6:30 pm): large chunk of leftover roast cooked in the crock pot in NON-COMPLIANT beef bone broth, apple cider vinegar, and apple juice, with carrots, potatoes, onion, and celery

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Steps: 5,403

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: Guh.

*slept with the pups

• 3 months later...

Alright, here we go again.

But, before I talk about this round, I'll hold myself accountable for why I didn't finish the last one. It was...McDonald's. I know. Terrible. I actually made it all the way through a backpacking trip eating totally, 100% Whole30. But, after the long hike out, and in the middle of the multi-hour drive home, I found myself unprepared with anything to eat that sounded even remotely appetizing after a huge hike. And I wanted a Big Mac. And I was on Day 27 and isn't that the same thing anyway? So I ate a Big Mac. Honestly, it didn't even taste that good. And I never thought I would say that. 

And now I'm back again. But, I'm not going to lie, this round is primarily driven by weight loss. I started climbing recently and it's quickly become fairly obvious that I can't be a strong climber if I weigh this much. So, for the first time in my life, I find my weight to be a huge hindrance to the things I want to do. And so, I want to lose weight in a way I never have before. It's not just about vanity. It's about being able to do the things I love. And this is the only way I know how to lose weight. 

My long-term goals haven't changed though. Because, honestly, I know that eating this way will put me in the same position my weight is putting me in now. I'll find myself unable to do the things I love the most because of poor health. I cannot go there. Truly, I cannot. I can't live without these things in my life. So yeah, kick-starting a lifestyle of healthy eating still remains a goal. 

In the end, it's all about being able to be outside, doing all the things I love, for as many years as I get to live! 

ROUND 2 Day 1: Monday, November 26

Sleep Last Night: 7 hours 39 minutes (1:03 deep; 5:31 light; 1:05 REM; 0:08 awake)

Wakeup: 7:15 am 

Meal 1 (8:30 am): three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over small spiralized sweet potato and small spiralized russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and Spice Cave Land seasoning; 1.5 slices compliant bacon

Exercise (9:00-10:00 am): pilates class (94 average HR; 124 max HR)

Exercise (10:15-11:00 am): indoor bouldering (~12 wall attempts) (123 average HR; 168 max HR)

Meal 2 (1:45 pm): large-ish piece of salmon baked in the oven with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; ~2 cups brussel sprouts pan-cooked in ghee with salt and pepper; four baby dill pickles; snack pack of guacamole; ½ GT’s Gingerade kombucha

Exercise (3:15-4:15 pm): 2.54 mile hike with 574 feet of elevation gain (145 average HR; 186 max HR)

Meal 3 (7:30 pm): sirloin steak grilled on the BBQ with spicy seasoning; large baked potato with salted ghee  

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Steps: 11,176

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: It’s day one. Not much to say. I hate this. I wish I knew a better way to find balance. I wish I hadn’t wasted my previous efforts by reverting back to old (and very lousy) eating habits. But, I'm still here. So that's something.  

ROUND 2 Day 2: Tuesday, November 27

Sleep Last Night: 6 hours 34 minutes (0:53 deep; 3:37 light; 2:04 REM; 0:10 awake)

Wakeup: 4:45 am 

Meal 1 (9:00 am): one large piece breakfast casserole with eggs, bacon, spinach, artichokes and sweet potato “crust” (Paleo Running Momma Spinach Artichoke Breakfast Casserole)

Meal 2 (12:30 pm): medium chicken breast pan-cooked in avocado oil with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; can of sliced white potatoes pan-cooked in ghee; ~1 cup green beans cooked in ghee with salt and pepper

Meal 3 (8:45 pm): two one-inch slices of turkey meatloaf (Paleo Running Momma Veggie Ranch Turkey Meatloaf); ~2 cups steamed carrots

Steps: 10,521

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Strong cravings
  • Headache in the evening

Thoughts/Reflections: I forgot my toothbrush with me this week (I’m traveling) and I refused to go to the store because I knew, if I did, I would buy some chocolate. So, I went to bed without brushing my teeth. And that pretty much sums up my day.  

ROUND 2 Day 3: Wednesday, November 28

Sleep Last Night: 10 hours 14 minutes (1:11 deep; 6:33 light; 2:30 REM; 0:05 awake)

Wakeup: 8:15 am 

Meal 1 (9:00 am): one large piece breakfast casserole with eggs, bacon, spinach, artichokes and sweet potato “crust” (Paleo Running Momma Spinach Artichoke Breakfast Casserole)

Snack (10:00 am): Numi Organic Embrace tea with 1 scoop collagen powder

Exercise (12:30-1:10 pm): 40-minute walk during my lunch break

Meal 2 (1:15 pm): one one-inch slices of turkey meatloaf (Paleo Running Momma Veggie Ranch Turkey Meatloaf); ~1 cup green beans cooked in ghee with salt and pepper

Snack (6:15 pm): snack pack of compliant turkey slices + 2 soft boiled eggs

Exercise (6:30-7:00 pm): 800-meter lap swim (122 average HR; 141 max HR)

Meal 3 (7:45 pm): medium chicken breast pan-cooked in avocado oil with Tessemae’s BBQ sauce, salt, and pepper; ~2 cups steamed carrots

Steps: 12,069

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Low-grade headache for a good portion of the morning
  • Lack of appetite

Thoughts/Reflections: I definitely spent a good portion of the day hungry. None of my food sounds appealing (not sure if it’s the repeated leftover concept or the fact that my food is not sugary and sweet and delicious) so I didn’t eat very much. I also forgot to bring all my fat sources with me (mayo, coconut flakes, olives, and ranch dressing) so I’m not eating enough fat.

ROUND 2 Day 4: Thursday, November 29

Sleep Last Night: 8 hours 6 minutes (1:06 deep; 4:57 light; 2:03 REM; 0:09 awake)

Wakeup: 5:45 am 

Pre-Workout Meal (6:15 am): one soft boiled egg

Exercise (6:30-6:50 am): indoor bouldering (one VB and 10 V0s)  

Exercise (7:00-8:00 am): cross-training class (this one was super hard with lots of cardio and complex exercises like Turkish Get Ups) (149 average HR; 182 max HR)

Post-Workout Meal (8:15 am): snack pack of compliant turkey

Meal 1 (9:00 am): one small-ish piece breakfast casserole with eggs, bacon, spinach, artichokes and sweet potato “crust” (Paleo Running Momma Spinach Artichoke Breakfast Casserole)

Meal 2 (1:15 pm): one one-inch slices of turkey meatloaf (Paleo Running Momma Veggie Ranch Turkey Meatloaf); ~1 cup steamed carrots  

Meal 3 (7:00 pm): chorizo, two scoops of pico de gallo, one large scoop of guacamole from Chipotle (due to the recent food safety warning, they did not provide any romaine lettuce)

Water Intake: ~120 oz

Steps: 12,874

Symptoms/NSVs:

• N/A

Thoughts/Reflections: I’m questioning this. I don’t like the weekly meal prep concept at all. I hate eating leftovers every single day. I hate not having fresh foods to eat. I hate having the same thing every darn day. I hate cooking everything up in a microwave (that can’t be healthy). I’m feeling really stressed about what to eat and how to prepare. And I’m not enjoying my soggy, microwave-prepared, not fresh, had-three-times-this-week-already food. At all.

Archived