Kirbz's Whole30 Log

kirbz

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just skimmed through your journal, so inspirational!  I appreciate that you document the tough stuff, and yet you keep at it.  I've started another round of Whole-30 this week after a 5-year hiatus.  That included a decline into what was quite possibly the poster child of terrible eating with a 50-pound weight gain as my prize for being so SAD-compliant.  What you've said about this being so hard despite how good it makes you feel really hits home with me.   I'll be reading about your journey to keep me motivated through mine!  (And no wonder you love being in the mountains - how gorgeous!)       

ROUND 3, Day 10: Wednesday, September 11

Meal 1: two chicken thighs pan-cooked in avocado oil and marinated in teriyaki sauce; small head of steamed broccoli (which I didn’t eat until 11:00 a.m.)

Snack: banana

Meal 2: one chicken enchilada stuffed bell peppers

Meal 3: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; baked potato with ghee

Water Intake: ~80 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: I definitely didn’t eat enough today. None of my food I brought with me this week is particularly appetizing, which I knew as soon as I cooked it, so this isn’t much of a surprise. I don’t feel super hungry though, even though I know I’m not eating enough. Not sure what that means…

@MadyVanilla Thanks for checking in! I'm glad you enjoy reading through my log and that you find inspiration in it! I'm always surprised when that happens! 

I, too, was a poster child for SAD habits. I'm talking Lucky Charms for breakfast, Kraft Mac N Cheese for lunch, and half a tub of Rocky Road ice cream for dessert. It was bad. And I miss the convenience of it. But, I do love the way this makes me feel and I do love the food. I just wish it wasn't so much work. Guh. 

Anyway, I wish you the very best on your own Whole30 journey! 

P.S. If you ever get a chance to go to Yosemite National Park, go! It's worth it! (and where those photos are from) 

ROUND 3, Day 11: Thursday, September 12

Meal 1: none

Meal 2: seared halibut; baby potatoes with salt, pepper, and ghee; steamed carrots and spinach; heirloom tomato salad with balsamic, olive oil, and fresh basil   

Meal 3: hard-boiled egg; bowl of cauliflower soup  

Snack: banana

Water Intake: ~60 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Flatter tummy
  • Work clothing fitting more loosely
  • Clearer skin (a colleague commented that my skin is glowing) 

Thoughts/Reflections: I probably ate something non-compliant today because I ate out for lunch and I’m very nearly 100% convinced that you cannot find a compliant meal at a restaurant despite asking as many questions as you want. So, there’s that.

On the other hand, the food was DELICIOUS! Wow! That heirloom tomato salad was out of this world. I don’t even love tomatoes, but I sure loved those ones! I do love the abundance of farm to fork restaurants we have around here…

Otherwise, I didn’t eat much today because I didn’t prepare much this week. Oops. 

I also tried to go to the gym but just couldn't do it. I stayed at work an extra hour trying to talk myself into going. And then I finally went. I changed and went out into the bouldering area. And I climbed two walls. And then left. I was there for all of six minutes. I just didn't have it in me. Mostly because I'm feeling down, but also because it was really crowded, and probably also because I don't have much energy because I didn't eat much. So, yeah. 

@hollysmokes  I used this recipe: https://www.paleorunningmomma.com/chicken-enchilada-stuffed-peppers-paleo-whole30-keto/.  It certainly wasn't my favorite but it was good and different than what I normally eat so it was a nice change. In general though, I love her recipes! Her spinach artichoke twice baked potatoes and Salisbury steak meatballs are probably my favorites! 

I'm feeling very Asian-inspired right now, so I'm jotting down a couple of recipes I want to try in the near future. I'm also wanting to incorporate more pork since I need a little less chicken in my life right now... 

ROUND 3, Day 12: Friday, September 13

Meal 1: one hard-boiled egg; bowl of zucchini bone broth soup; handful of fresh blueberries

Meal 2: Pure Organic wild blueberry bar  

Meal 3: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; baked potato with ghee

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Lack of cravings 

Thoughts/Reflections: Once again I didn’t eat enough. I was pretty much starving again an hour after eating my large steak and large baked potato with a generous amount of ghee. My stomach felt like a bottomless pit.

But, I’m back home now and plan to load up with food this weekend, in preparation for my three-day backpacking and alpine climbing adventure on Monday! I'm trying a new Lo Mein recipe tomorrow! 

I'm happy to report that I'm not having any cravings and I'm not really compelled to go off plan. Though I am really sad that I can't take any Peanut M&Ms on the backpacking trip because I really, really enjoy evening Peanut M&Ms after a day romping around the backcountry. But that's more a ritual than a craving... 

ROUND 3, Day 13: Saturday, September 14

Meal 1: four scrambled eggs with a splash of coconut milk cooked in leftover bacon fat; two slices of bacon; small bowl of cauliflower bone broth soup

Exercise (2 hours, 25 minutes): 5.82-mile hike with 830 feet of elevation gain (139 average HR; 173 max HR)  

Intra-Workout Snack: pouch of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food

Post-Workout Snack: pouch of sweet potato and beet baby food; one and a half slices of deli turkey

Meal 2: baked salmon with BBQ sauce; baked potato with ghee  

Meal 3: one and a half bowls of pork lo mein (I went back for second because it was so good)

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Enjoyed trying a new recipe

Thoughts/Reflections: Oh. My. Goodness. That pork lo mein recipe was ah-mazing! After a few days of not really eating much, it was nice to have a day of fully eating. It felt good.

Which is good. Because, two days and counting before the big climb! I plan to eat potatoes at pretty much every meal between now and then... Bring on the carbs! 

ROUND 3, Day 14: Saturday, September 15

Meal 1: small bowl of pork lo mein with sweet potato noodles, pork, bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, and bok choy

Meal 2: four scrambled eggs with a splash of coconut milk cooked in leftover bacon fat; two slices of bacon; bowl of cauliflower bone broth soup; small glass of orange juice

Meal 3: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; baked potato with ghee; brussel sprouts cooked in ghee with salt and pepper

Water Intake: ~100 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Restless legs at night (this has been happening for three nights now)

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to report today. I’m just trying to carb up in preparation for my three day backpacking and alpine climbing trip! I will hopefully be summiting Bear Creek Spire (13,713 feet) on Tuesday! It’ll be my biggest alpine adventure yet and my highest ever peak

Alright, I just got back from my three-day backpacking and alpine climbing trip! I'll try to remember what I ate... 

ROUND 3, Day 15: Monday, September 16

Meal 1: bowl of pork lo mein with sweet potato noodles, pork, bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, and bok choy

Pre-Workout Snack: bowl of cauliflower soup; small glass of orange juice (this was more just to get some veggies in me before a backpacking trip and less about a pre-workout snack)

Exercise (4 hours, 17 minutes): 5.35-mile backpacking hike with 2,323 feet of elevation gain (145 average HR; 172 max HR)  

Intra-Workout Snack: pouch of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food; pouch of peach, apricot, and banana baby food

Meal 2: tuna pouch; ~30 green olives 

Meal 3: Wild Zora Caldera Chicken Curry freeze-dried meal with chicken, sweet potato, pineapple, spinach, bell pepper, and onion 

Water Intake: unknown

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: Wow, that hike in was something else. Never, ever trust an alpine climber to give a description of the approach to a big climb. It's all easy to them. In alpine climber speak, massive boulder/scree fields with a 1,000 feet of climbing equals "some off-trail scrambling." We had to ascend two big boulder fields to get to Dade Lake, our camp for the evening. 

Once we got to camp, we immediately set up our tents and spent the evening inside to avoid the cold and wind. And, as I was sitting inside, trying to stay warm and hoping our tent didn't fly away or break, I seriously questioned whether I would even be able to do the climb the next day. The weather was awful. The winds were very likely 50 mph or more. And I was just tired. My poor legs were exhausted. And, each time I looked up at the massive mountain I was to climb tomorrow, I began to believe that maybe I couldn't do it... 

ROUND 3, Day 15: Tuesday, September 16

Meal 1: Wild Zora Butte Cacao Banana breakfast mix with flaxseed meal, nuts, bananas, strawberries, mango, and cacao nibs 

Exercise (9 hours, 35 minutes): 6.38-mile, 6-pitch rock climb with 2,211 of elevation gain and topping out at 13,713 feet (131 average HR; 168 max HR)  

Intra-Workout Snack: two pouches of peach, apricot, and banana baby food; two pouches of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food; half blueberry RXBar; snack pack of coconut butter 

Intra-Workout Meal 2: tuna pouch packed in olive oil  

Meal 3: Wild Zora Caldera Chicken Curry freeze-dried meal with chicken, sweet potato, pineapple, spinach, bell pepper, and onion 

Symptoms/NSVs:

• Poor fueling for long-duration exercise 

Thoughts/Reflections: Well, despite my doubts yesterday, I did it! I made it to the [almost] top of Bear Creek Spire (I didn't get on top of the summit block because that's just stupid). And it was amazing! It was hard. Oh-so hard. But amazing. The climbing was challenging. The ridge traverse was exposed and super scary, but fun. The views were spectacular (I counted over 30 alpine lakes from the top). And I reached the highest point on earth I've ever been on! 

It was the approach and the ridiculous descent that was so difficult for me. It was steep on the way up with some boulder hopping. That was hard. But the way down was downright scary. We had to descend a bouldery scree field where everything moved, even the giant blocks of granite. Guh. It was awful. I quite literally kept seeing images of me falling down the boulder field when I closed my eyes that night. Though I did make it out alright.

On another note, my fueling strategy totally sucked. I watched as my guide happily ate cheese and salami and hard-boiled eggs and dehydrated mango and banana. And I had my stupid baby food pouches and packets of tuna and RXBars and coconut butter. Guh. It tasted so gross and I didn't want to eat any of it. But I needed to eat. But it wasn't enough anyway. There just wasn't enough calories in them. And then, when we got back to camp, I watched as she ate fresh rice with curry paste and peas and meat and naan. While I ate another freeze-dried meal. Guh.  

So yeah, I don't know about being Paleo in the alpine. I know people do it. But I don't know if I want to. I'll finish my Whole30, but I think I'd rather eat differently on long days at high altitude.... 

[Photo 1: a mile or two into the trail, with Bear Creek Spire in the background (the tallest peak just to the left oft the tree)] 

[Photo 2: looking down on part of the larger of the two boulder fields we had to go up and then down on the hike; this wasn't even the climbing part]

[Photo 3: the view from the [almost] top of Bear Creek Spire at nearly 13,700 feet!] 

DSC08036.jpg

DSC07875.jpg

DSC07743.jpg

ROUND 3, Day 17: Wednesday, September 18

Meal 1: none

Exercise (3 hours, 26 minutes): 4.86-mile backpacking hike with 384 feet of elevation gain (130 average HR; 154 max HR)  

Snack: can of coconut water; glass of orange juice; one and a half slices of deli turkey

Meal 2: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; baked potato with ghee; bowl of zucchini bone broth soup; 8 oz glass of electrolyte supplement

Meal 3: none 

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: Wow. I have never been so tired on a hike. My footwork was so sloppy and I felt very unstable descending those boulder fields. I was so afraid I was going to break an ankle or fall just because I was tired. And then when we finally got back to the real trail, which was mostly flat, I was barely moving forward. Shawn and my guide had to stop frequently to wait for me to catch up. But I made it! I did it! I did it even though I really didn’t think I could!

Also, I didn’t eat enough today. I know it and I didn’t really care. This is why I was doing Whole30. This is the only big thing I have planned for my 30 days and I’m done. So, I just didn’t care. It wasn’t worth the effort. It was enough of a success to convince myself to continue, because I sure wanted some pizza when I got home. And some peanut M&Ms…

ROUND 3, Day 18: Thursday, September 19

Meal 1: three scrambled eggs with a splash of coconut milk cooked in leftover bacon fat; two slices of bacon; small glass of orange juice

Meal 2: none

Meal 3: large chicken breast grilled with BBQ sauce; two whole cans of sliced potatoes cooked in a whole lot of ghee 

Water Intake: ~70 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: I didn't eat much today. I've been too busy to collect myself and prepare some wholesome meals after our backpacking trip. I drove to Sacramento, worked four hours this morning, and then had to go to a wedding on the other side of the mountains. I desperately wanted to eat the cheese, crackers, salami, warm pretzels, and pizza. Partly because I was hungry and partly because I just wanted to. Why can't I have those things again? LOL. But I stayed compliant and ate a whole lot of food when I finally got back home around 9:00 p.m. 

ROUND 3, Day 19: Friday, September 20

Meal 1: two hard-boiled eggs 

Meal 2: chicken breast grilled with BBQ sauce; ~2 cups of steamed carrots; very small handful of Castelvetrano olives; Lemon La Croix 

Meal 3: pork chop grilled with BBQ sauce; baked potato with ghee; handful of grape tomatoes 

Water Intake: ~70 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• new pimple on my chin 

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to say today. I'm planning a big cookup this weekend so I have lots of yummy food to eat! Because this week has been completely lackluster and I'm over it. 

ROUND 3, Day 20: Saturday, September 21

Meal 1: two chicken and apple sausages pan-cooked in avocado oil; whole sliced cucumber; half avocado

Meal 2: none

Meal 3: one and a half sweet potato salmon patties with lizard sauce; two thirds can of spinach; can of sliced potatoes cooked in ghee 

Symptoms/NSVs:

• two new pimples on my neck under my chin (though, to be fair, I think it was caused by my hair, which I'm wearing down more often and washing less) 

Thoughts/Reflections: I slept a lot of the day, which is why I didn't eat Meal 2. I'm just so tired. Which is probably because I'm sad. I also feel like i'm still recovering from my big climb. 

ROUND 3, Day 21: Sunday, September 22

Meal 1: none

Meal 2: two sweet potato salmon patties with lizard sauce; small head of steamed broccoli; half avocado 

Meal 3: five salisbury steak meatballs with a generous portion of gravy; mashed potatoes; half can raspberry lime sparkling water  

Water Intake: ~60 oz

Symptoms/NSVs:

• flatter stomach 
  • jeans fitting even more loosely 

Thoughts/Reflections: I missed breakfast because I was in a rush to caddy for Shawn at his disc golf tournament (I slept in). But, otherwise, I have lots of good food prepared for the week and think I should be able to eat three square meals each day this week!

ROUND 3, Day 22: Monday, September 23

Meal 1: three scrambled eggs with a splash of coconut milk cooked in leftover bacon fat; two slices of bacon; bowl of zucchini bone broth soup

Meal 2: five salisbury steak meatballs with a generous portion of gravy; mashed potatoes

Meal 3: Chipotle salad bowl with carnitas, grilled veggies, romaine, salsa, and guacamole

Symptoms/NSVs:

• feeling tired and needing lots of sleep (though that’s more likely due to stress and my mood than anything else)

Thoughts/Reflections: There are a lot of stressors in my life right now and while I’m really proud of myself for sticking with this despite them, I’m also wondering how much good this is really doing me. Because, really, eating well can’t possibly overcome the amount of stress and emotion I’m experiencing. But, I guess it would just be that much worse if I weren’t doing this at all?  

ROUND 3, Day 23: Tuesday, September 24

Meal 1: large bowl of cauliflower bone broth soup; GT’s hibiscus ginger kombucha

Meal 2: five salisbury steak meatballs with a generous portion of gravy; mashed potatoes

Meal 3: three slices of deli turkey; ~10 celery sticks with cilantro lime ranch dressing; handful of grape tomatoes

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to report. I’m still not eating enough. But I’m doing the best I can with what I’ve got right now.  

On 9/24/2019 at 12:37 PM, kirbz said:

Thoughts/Reflections: There are a lot of stressors in my life right now and while I’m really proud of myself for sticking with this despite them, I’m also wondering how much good this is really doing me. Because, really, eating well can’t possibly overcome the amount of stress and emotion I’m experiencing. But, I guess it would just be that much worse if I weren’t doing this at all?  

Life stressors make it so much more difficult to care for ourselves, yet sometimes the way we eat is one of the few things we can control.  You’re making good diet choices fo yourself, despite what’s going on around you.  I wonder if one of the benefits of eating this way is a more even-keel, less reactivity to stuff that would have caused me to lash out or cry a month ago.  

@MadyVanilla That's a great perspective! Thanks for checking in!

Honestly, for me, I really just feel like I'm starving myself because I'm really just too overwhelmed/exhausted to prepare Whole30 foods. But the alternative is throwing myself into a tub of Rocky Road and gorging on pizza, so I guess this is better? LOL. I am trying to at least eat two meals a day, if not three. 

Archived