Is it ok to drink kumbucha?

cstar427

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The booch is good and good for you!

I'll clarify though: The grams of sugar on the label really isn't a compliance, non compliance issue. If you find one you love with 4 or 6g, that's fine, as long as there's no sugar added after brewing (it will show in the ingredient list).

Ahhh...I do remember you saying that. The ones I see are either 2 grams or crazy amounts like 12-14. :)

FYI I'm a HUGE fan. Here in San Francisco there are a lot of local brands but my favorite is GT's. It's just sweet enough, they have many varieties, and they don't have added sugar. I recently discovered their lavendar flavor and I'm seriously addicted. My very own kombucha brewing kit is arriving home today so I'll be making my own soon as soon as I can find food grade lavender. I will post pics soon :)

It depends. It isn't okay if you have a peanut butter dragon because they are so similar. If you are using it in a sauce or as a flavoring then sure. With the flours, it's okay to use them to thicken a sauce or as a coating on fish, but it's not okay to make a paleofied pastry.

Juice is highly discouraged. How many carrots does it take to make a glass of juice? Better to eat your carrots. Drinking food does not do the same to your satiety feelings/hormones as eating food does. Plus, if you use a juicer, you aren't getting the fiber.

I've found that my booch likes a week to brew on one cup of sugar/gallon. It will still taste a bit sweet, but mine still has quite a bite.

an added note: I used a vanilla rooibos tea with my Earl Grey this time and I dont love it as much. I'm letting it go a bit longer to see what happens.

another note: if you want to be sciency and make sure you've brewed out the sugar, you can always grab some pH strips

• 2 weeks later...

i used the

gallon water, 4-5 teabags and 1 c. sugar... and I let it brew for like 3 weeks. it's syrupy sweet.

but maybe I'm just sensitive cause I don't like sweet stuff anyway and now I haven't had it for 18 days at all.

it did grow a baby scoby so... i know it's alive and healthy. it smells like vinegar and tastes like sugar. I used rooibos and some other stuff... maybe I should do a batch with just normal tea and see what happens. now I have 4 scobys and I don't know what to do with all this booch. !!!

I just made a too sweet batch that I ended up tossing :( I added grated ginger and lemon juice and it was delicious but I didn't do the first ferment long enough. I have a new batch that is perfect and I steeped lavender flowers and elderberries and added the liquid for the second ferment and it's out. of. this. world!

I just fell inlove with kumbucha in the last few weeks. You can't find it in stores here at all and no one knows what it is, but at the market here in Jerusalem there's a guy who sells it, but only makes it apple flavored. :) I love my tiny country but can't wait until I move to the states so I have better food options (grass fed meat and butter, kumbucha, coconut aminos!...).

Archived