Is it ok to drink kumbucha?

cstar427

Jo I have read people doing their first ferment for anywhere from 5-30 days. It depends on the climate your in, the size of your scoby, and I'm guessing other factors I'm not aware of. Robin said hers takes 1 week. Mine took 12 days and I'm in a fairly warm climate here in San Francisco so who knows! Just let it ferment and taste it every 2 or 3 days if it's too sweet.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I second this. This batch, I discovered that I like it more at 10 days than at 7, but just let yours go until you're ready. Right now, mine has attracted a swarm of vinegar flies, so I think it's a little over-done ;0)

Oh eww Robin. Unless you are referring to James and the kids. :)

Oh eww Robin. Unless you are referring to James and the kids. :)

I wish I was! No, only my littlest body builder likes it (she's my mini). But here in MO we have these little buggies that look like normal gnats or fruit flies, but they love vinegar! I first encountered them when I started cleaning my windows with homemade cleaner. Since then they've gotten into bottles of the flavored stuff I leave open for too long, cleaning solutions... Now they're hanging out on top of the coffee filter and tea towel that cover my booch. It's kinda gross, but I guess it means I'm doing it right.

In other news, it's gonna be 70 degrees here this weekend. Great for painting a front porch, not so great for killing the enormous swarms of flies and gnats, etc, that cropped up from our long hot summer. What's a girl gotta do to get some winter around here?!

On the topic of kombucha, I have a question that goes beyond the whole30. I sometimes make my own kombucha, but there's mixed opinions on whether someone like me should drink it at all. I have chronic hepatitis c, possibly for 43 years now, though I just got the diagnosis 4 years ago. My liver's in excellent shape; I thank my years of clean living for that, though genetics might also have something to do with it, dunno. Kombucha seems to sit well with me when I drink it. But, some say it's good for liver disease and some say it's not, due to the alcohol content. I'd be interested to hear any opinions / thoughts.

I also make beet kvass from time to time and am wondering if that has any alcohol content, or is that particular to kombucha? I don't think kvass has any alcohol in it, but as long as I'm here, writing to well-knowledged folks...

@silk

the amount of alcohol in beet kvass and kombucha is SOOOOO minimal (less than 1%) that it shouldn't have any adverse effects on your liver. especially because these things are known to support liver function ... the good outweighs the minute amount of bad in this case. IMNSHO ;)

• 4 weeks later...

i have been reading some mixed science on this stuff. Especially when people are making it at home. The one thing i read is that some people who are making it in ceramic pots are getting lead poisoning.

It also has caused some belly issues and allergies for some. Just make sure you look into the do's and DONT's of making it.

Its only healthy if its healthy lol

Christine K -

I would imagine that if those folks are getting lead poisoning, there would have to be lead in the pots. Not good all the way around. Most booch brewing sites will tell you to use glass. And, while you do have to be careful that your SCOBY doesn't mold, I'm not convinced that it could cause allergies. One would likely have to be allergic to something used already, correct? It IS a probiotic bacteria, so one should always start with a small amount and build to a level that the gut tolerates well.

You're right - it's only healthy if it is :)

I'm so glad to see this topic as I had just started my first batch of booch on Saturday! I'm using an Earl Grey for it. The recipe I followed said to wait 7 days, so I'll be testing it on Saturday evening. :)

I'm so sorry, torena, but Earl Grey doesn't really work for Kombucha. You need a tea without essential oils. I like Oolong.

When you say it won't really work, what should I expect? Will the flavor be off? Will I kill my SCOBY?

From what I understand, the essential oils tend to kill off the scoby. I guess if your scoby still looks healthy, you might be lucky, but I would watch it a little closer than normally.

From what I understand, the essential oils tend to kill off the scoby. I guess if your scoby still looks healthy, you might be lucky, but I would watch it a little closer than normally.

Omg..Missmary, no wonder my booch has been so lame. I used Earl Gray. I've blamed it on everything but never thought of the tea. I finally tossed it when I left town for 2 weeks. So glad I saw your post.

Archived