Can I Do...

WholeCourtney

Hope I'm posting this question in the right place. My question isnt can I have but can I do...

Since June I've lost 35lbs with a combination of eating right (including calorie counting) and exercise. Its been a lot of hard work and I really don't want to gain back an ounce (I still have about 65lbs to go until Im a healthy weight. I weigh myself once a week to track my progress.

Am I really cheating if I weigh myself once a week to ensure I'm not overdoing it on the calories? Or should I just suck it up, track calories and assume all will be well?

FWIW I followed my first Whole30 to a T and I lost 18lbs but Im sooo paranoid I'll over eat and gain weight.

• Moderators

Congratulations on your progress so far!

Ideally you would not weigh yourself or track calories. 

Here are some articles about why:

https://whole30.com/2016/01/tracking/

https://whole30.com/2013/02/you-count-more-than-your-calories-do/

https://whole30.com/step-seven/

https://whole30.com/2016/01/scale/

https://whole30.com/2013/04/repost-break-up-with-your-scale/

It is a rule not to weigh yourself. If you commit to a Whole30, in my opinion, that means committing to all the rules, whether you agree with them or not. Not tracking calories/macros is not a rule, it's just a recommendation, but the recommendations are there for a reason, to help you get the very most out of your Whole30. 

Ultimately, you are an adult and get to make your own decisions. 

@WholeCourtney I had a lot of the same hang ups when I started my first Whole30. I had about 50 lbs to lose and I had successfully lost weight in the past by tracking and restricting calories. I tracked calories using MyFitnessPal for a few days until I knew I wasn't eating 3,000 calories a day and then I read some of the old forum posts about calorie tracking and I managed to quit. One of the big things that helped me with quitting calorie tracking was that calorie restriction often does not result in long-term weight loss (which was apparent in my own life) and I wanted to be in this for the long haul.  Still, about day 10 or so, I was like, "I NEED to weigh myself!!!!!" I was sure I was eating too much and that I was gaining weight. One of the mods stopped by with a perspective that really helped. She said, "People aren't cattle, we don't need to be weighed". That really made me pause and think. There is absolutely no reason I need to know the number on the scale, other than to track progress and I have a million other ways to do that instead.

It has now been about 4 months since I started my Whole30 journey and I have lost around 20 lbs. It doesn't sound like much, but it has been slow, sustainable weight loss. What's more impressive is that I've lost about 3 pants sizes and a shirt size. I've been this weight before with calorie restriction and didn't fit into these sizes at that time. This is different. The other interesting thing is that I have now completely let go of the number on the scale. If I stuck to my original plan, I'd still have about 30 lbs to lose, but I'm happily at peace with my body right now. I think I'd be OK with it if I maintained this weight. I'm currently doing another Whole30 and am not sure I'll weigh myself at the end. I've already thrown out my scale, but I could borrow a friend's if I wanted to. I don't think I will though, I think I like the idea of completely ignoring the number on the scale and instead focusing on my non-scale victories. :) 

Thanks @NoneOtherThanAmy! I think I'm going to do much the same..track a few meals over a few days just to make sure Im not REALLY overdoing it then just follow the portion guidelines. 

Overall I think I have a pretty good relationship with food and the scale. Much better then before I completed my first Whole30. Honestly I focus more on what my body can do (I lift kettlebells and run) and I think that the break of tracking will be nice :)

@WholeCourtney Sounds like you've got a great attitude! Best of luck on your 2nd Whole30. 

Oddly enough, I also started trying to run right around the time I started my first Whole30. I am not a "natural" runner, so it has been a ton of work to get myself to where I'd like to be, but I just ran my first 5k! I still did walk/run intervals, but I finished with about a 12 min/mile pace and I'm pretty happy with that. I've just started running with an 8k training group and I'm determined to be able to run the whole thing when the race comes around in 2 months. 

@WholeCourtney Thanks! I'm sure you'll have an excellent race! :) You've got the right spirit...it's so important to be proud of any progress.

I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to run the whole 5k after 6 months of trying to get there, but I looked back at where I started and realized I had made a ton of progress and could be proud of that. In April, I could *barely* run for 5 mins straight, I couldn't do it if it involved any hill, and I definitely couldn't do it a 2nd time even if I walked for 10 mins before trying again. Now in September, I can run an entire 5k on 5 min running/1 min walking intervals. I've even managed to run 3 miles straight since the race, but at a slower speed (closer to 13 min/mile). 

I feel like I keep making this thread about me, but all I'm trying to say is that you can do it! I've been where you are and I made it through, so you can too! 

Archived