3rd W30, Is Viibryd keeping me from feeling better & losing weight

LarryB

I've done a strict W30 twice, and a looser one with some dairy (only in coffee) and minimal eating out, always with great success re-setting my metabolism and stamina. When I'm off W30, I'm 90% Paleo, only with more dairy (some cheese) and some alcohol - mostly very dry cider and the occasional bourbon. No wheat, sweets or white starches at all. Well, maybe a tablespoon or rice if cauliflower rice isn't available.

I started a new job about 18 months ago, and started Viibryd at just about the same time. Since then, I've gained over a pound a month - going from 190 to 225. I'm 5'11 and 190 is perfect for me, It was stable for over five years. Weight is important to me for health reasons. At 190, my A1C was 5.2 - 5.5. Right now, my AM glucose readings are in the 140+ range. On STRICT W30, and my weight hasn't budged at day 18. (At least it hasn't gone up.) I do not want to have to deal with diabetes drugs ever again. My body doesn't like them.

I also had some injuries that took me away from boxing for a while, and a bout of pneumonia a few months ago continues to play havoc with my respiratory capacity.

So, after all that intro, I'm wondering if other folks have:

1 - Had substantial weight gain with Viibrid. The literature suggest something like a 2-3 pound weight gain total, not monthly

2 - Managed work stress successfully. My old job was boring as heck, but super-low stress. My new one is moderately stressful, but the commute is really stressful. Any success techniques there? (I'm buying a new motorcycle - this will help reduce stress based on experience, and save me about 15 minutes in the evening. And give me a solid flow-state during commute hours.)

3 - Figured out ways to push past a reluctant metabolism and actually be successful?

It's worth noting that I feel quite a bit better digestively, but the anxiety around lack of weight loss isn't helping.

Thanks in advance for the insights.

Me putting up house numbers is a about a month ago - in the flowered shirt is in early 2014.

2017.jpg

2014.jpg

Larry, every single Rx out there has some side effects. You've had some injuries/pneumonia..your body has been working on healing. The body is going to prioritize healing above weight loss. The body is bent on survival first.

You can build a metabolism. It takes alot of hard work and consistency. You can't throw the towel in regardless if you don't see any outward signs of weight loss. Nothing gained by stopping.  Don't stop. Keep tooling along, Larry.  Don't be discouraged.  Talk to your doctor about the Rx, there may be something that works better for you.  Meanwhile, just be kind to yourself and body. I like your pix and story. 

I had pretty major weight gain after starting an anti-depressant (for anxiety) years ago. I had also had major weight LOSS before starting it, as I couldn't eat much for about 6 weeks prior. So my body was not in a good state at all. But I felt like even eating a "normal" diet, I was gaining. That didn't help with anxiety. :wacko:

If it were me, I would give Whole30 at least 60 days to "work" - that's how long it took me on my first round to see those non-scale victories I was hoping for. I'm on day 29 of round 2, and again, I think I'm going to need more time. My scale number did drop in the first 30 days, but I was more interested in other things. So your body may just be taking the time to get things in order. Stick with it! You certainly aren't doing any harm. ;) 

Today is day 22 of my first whole30. I am on viibryd, Welbutrine and my prednisone dose has increased., but have STILL lost weight. For me this is probably a lot with the amount of sugar I took in (Sonic Dr. Pepper DAILY) and higher carb intake prior to my whole30.

Hang in there. I will say my mood is overall better this month.

Archived