Was this really the best time for me to do this?

Ktpickett

I'm on Day 8 and am rethinking everything. I didn't start my Whole30 because of aches, pains, GI issues, etc. aside from excess baby weight that doesn't like to budge, I'm perfectly healthy. And even though this weight isn't budging and it's driving me bonkers, I know I need to give it time since I'm only 12 weeks post partum. I know my hormones are freaking out right now because I just had a baby, stopped breastfeeding 6 weeks ago, was pregnant two years back to back, etc., and they just don't ow what to expect next. Perhaps this was a subconscious reason I decided to do a Whole30, though my greater goals were to lose weight and gain energy. What mother of a 14 month old and 2 month old has an abundance of energy? Even when eating super healthy? I already have more energy after this birth than my last birth, so I don't know if "increase energy" is even really a goal I can say I had/have.

The first week of my Whole30 has been a breeze: one mild headache, no hunger pains, no cravings, trying new and yummy recipes...but then yesterday and today has really thrown me for a loop. It's near impossible to get more than 3 hours of consecutive sleep, I feel guilty for all the money we're spending on meat, I feel all-consumed with what our next meal is going to be. And I feel like most of my time and energy should be spent on/with my babies. Maybe this is just mommy-guilt? Since I'm feeling as good as I did a week ago (and I wasn't feeling bad then) I feel like I need to reconsider doing this when my girls are just a little older, when they don't need me for something every 3 minutes.

But then I feel guilty about starting and quitting. I'm just at a loss.

This sounds like the fun, slow hormone ride down postpartum. No, really, it does read like that is what you're really feeling. I think you should just commit in your head to the full 30 days before making any decisions at all. You've made it this far, and that's a big deal considering you have two little ones! Just try to relax, find ways to make preparing meals easier if you can (definitely double up on recipes so you have lots of leftovers), and ride through this feeling. You're doing a good thing for yourself and that can only be good for you kids. A healthy, happy mom is the best mom.

You may just be having a couple of rough days because of exhaustion and hormones but I think you owe it to yourself to try to stick with it. I think probably everyone who has tried a Whole30 has had a least one day where they seriously considered throwing in the towel, but those who resist that urge don't seem to regret it. Hang in there and try to get as much rest as you can!

Disclaimer - I'm not a mom, so I can't comment on the hormones or post-partum concerns.

I must echo what CaseyD said about most people who have completed a Whole30 have considered at one point or another (or maybe multiple times) to quit the program and question why on earth you're doing this to yourself? I just finished my second Whole30 and there were days where I questioned my sanity for doing this. It ebbs and flows and evens out. It is only 30 days, and it goes by more quickly than you think and the best part is that it becomes easier and gets routine the longer you do it. Trust me - it was true during both of my experiences.

Also, try to focus on doing what is healthy for your body. The best gift you can give your children is a healthy mom. This 30 days is not about losing weight, it's about feeding and nurturing your body with the healthiest food available. Don't feel guilty about spending too much money on meat. Don't make me get all "Dr. Phil" on you about that. There will be no guilt. You are eating healthy food. You are a mommy to two young children who need you to be as healthy as you can be. You are doing what is right for you and for your family. No guilt? Got it!!?!?

My father used to tell me "If you have your health, you have everything" Coincidentally, he didn't realize he had heart disease and died of a massive heart attack at age 54. He still had an 8 and a 12 year old at home, he had a family who needed him. He lead a stressful life and I believe that's what ultimately contributed to his death. I have tendencies to stress and that leads to poor choices in eating. I know that both the stress and the poor nutrition puts me at a huge risk for health issues. When I am on Whole30, I focus on doing what is healthy for myself and doing my best to manage my stress (that is my largest challenge right now). Being on Whole30 helped me identify that stress is a huge food trigger for me - when I am stressed, I reach for sugar almost immediately. Take this time to figure out what food habits you have so you can change them and replace them with healthier options.

You're doing great - stay strong! I congratulate you for tackling this with two small children. So many others would use that as an excuse not to embark on this journey. Kudos to you and let us know if you need more support :) We'll be here with tough love and encouragement.

Desi

Keep calm and whole30 on! http://whole9life.com/2012/09/keep-calm-and-whole30-on/

You are right on track! I'm on Day 47 and all day yesterday was wondering if I ought to quit! You're doing great! The kids will need you for the next 18 years, so now is as good a time as any. Besides, you will be able to change their diets right from the get go!

I wish I had done it when my kids were littles.

What do you need to make this easy for you? Ask us here--there's a ton of support just waiting for you here.

Archived