New-Will start October 1, 2017

MMWolford81

Excited, but a little overwhelmed with all the no-no's. I have really never ate "healthy" and always have had a lot of processed foods. I use to do the Weight Watchers program and was doing well till I just didn't care. I am jumping on this "whole30 wagon" alone so lots of inspiration and motivation is encouraged from others. Any must do's or ideas for prepping would be great :) How or has anyone started this with their teenage children and how did women get their husbands to go along?

Hello @MMWolford81.  It can be tough going from eating whatever you want to strictly following a Whole30.  I'd use this last week of September to get sort of a "running start".  My first attempt lasted 11 days.  I started over on Day 1 because I discovered an item I was using almost daily was non compliant.  My second attempt lasted 21 days.  That one ended just because I was angry and depressed and thought my favorite foods would make me feel better.  It didn't.  So I'm going to start again with the knowledge I have gained about how emotions affect my eating.  Here's to attempt number 3.

1:  Read EVERY label.  Non-compliant stuff is everywhere.  There is soy in most canned tuna fish, sulfites in lemon juice concentrate, sugar in spice mixes etc.  Don't be fooled by "no-sugar added".  That just means it was replaced by HFCS.  Get a magnifying glass and take it shopping with you.

2:  Keep your meals simple at the start.  Take meals you normally cook and tweek them if necessary to make them compliant.

3:  My companion is not concerned about doing a Whole30.  But he does eat what I cook because I don't make anything weird (refer back to #2).  I will occasionally add a roll or rice to his plate, but I'm only going to cook one breakfast and one dinner. (He's on his own for lunch.)

4:  Sauces and salad dressings are your friends.  They do count as your fat, and you need a small amount of fat at every meal.  My personal favorite is to mix fresh lemon juice with Bertolli's Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil.  Put it in a small mason jar with a lid and shake it up real good.  Easy peasy. Great for salad, veggies, fish and chicken.

5:  Be kind to yourself.  Mistakes happen.  Finding out the favorite spice you've been using has sugar in it (McCormick Lemon Pepper? Seriously?), is not nearly as bad as purposely getting a large Dairy Queen Blizzard.

Good luck on your prep week.

I'm starting 10/1 also, it's been a goal of mine to do the whole30 since I heard about it about a year ago, and I'm so excited! My mom follows a strictly autoimmune protocol paleo diet which helps relieve her rheumatoid arthritis symptoms and I thought if she can do that, I can do this! I also have an autoimmune disease called sjogren's syndrome for which there is no cure and nothing has seemed to help relieve my symptoms so I'm excited to see if I can control them with food as medicine. I already attempt to eat healthy and hardly ever eat any grains but as I'm preparing for whole30 and reading labels on everything I'm realizing I'm actually eating way more sugar than I thought. I'm determined to finish whole30 and transition into living a healthier lifestyle. 

I started today. 

Things I thought would be hard that weren't actually hard:  No coke zero (I have at least one a day), no sugar free creamer or equal in my coffee, no equal in my tea.  This didn't affect me at all! 

Things that were harder than I thought they would be:  Meal prep. I'm not a cook.  I spent an hour in ONE grocery store reading labels. The takeaway- everything has sugar in it, even things that shouldn't have sugar in them.  Also, I miss hummus.  Oh, and I'm not a huge meat eater. I love veggie burgers. I don't really love meat.  I tolerate it.  I made egg frittatas this morning- non-nitrate turkey bacon, egg, red bell pepper, onions- I had to choke it down. For the past few years I've had a protein bar every morning for breakfast. I miss my protein bar.  Oh, and did I mention I spent a gazillion dollars at Whole Foods?

For the record, these things will not deter me.  I'm super into this!  But did I mention my husband thinks I'm insane? 

Archived