Binge eating and re-starting Whole30

5280sarah

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy Friday!  I hope everyone had a good day.  Made it a week.  At last!  Long day and just crawled home and ready to fall face forward.  Food today --- Omelet with tomatoes, spinach and avocado, big salad with chicken, sweet potato, brussels sprouts and avocado and then left over pork, squash and other vegetables with big dollop of homemade mayo and an apple.  Tomorrow I have to plan my Thanksgiving meal,  The objective will be to keep it as easy as possible!

CONGRATS @hmg1993!!! So awesome! Keep it rolling! I made it through today, but it wasn't easy. The store was good. I wanted to buy fruit and other things that seemed compliant but satisfying, and then I told myself the only reason I want the fruit is because I am craving sugar. Not because it's what I truly want. So I didn't buy anything remotely sweet or that could be snacked on. BUT, I did come home and start to munch too much. Ate lots of coconut with cacao bar, leftover sweet potato with butter, salt, and cinnamon, and then pesto zoodles and way too many country style ribs for dinner. I have a headache and feel overloaded, but overeating here and there is way better than caving and eating the chocolate bar that I was eyeing in my fiances "section" of the pantry (I put his sweet and snacky stuff in a top shelf not so visible for me)... and then probably not stopping there. I'll take today as a win. Another day of working on mindfulness, getting in tune with my thoughts, behaviors, and triggers, and how I can learn to change my responses. And even the fact that I am slowly learning how to stop after I have had too much is good for me. Usually it would be "ugh I am so full, but I still want sweets, so might as well bc ive already failed and ate too much." Now I think way more differently and have conscious debates in my head and try to pick the smart answer as much as possible. I think the "good side" of my brain that wants to NOT binge is becoming a little more present each day. 

Anyways, food today: small piece of frittata, leftover rosemary sweet potatoes, sauteed veggies, half an avocado; leftover sheet pan chicken and veggies, a salad with some of the other leftovers of chicken thigh, veggies, and avocado, and then the stuff listed above. Lots of food, but it could be WAY worse. Ok, I'm going to bed now. Gotta be at work at 5:30 tomorrow. blahhhhh. 

Another tough day. Not proud of myself for this one. Not beating myself up either, but I could have been more present and mindful. Didn't sleep at all last night, had to be at work so early, it was so freezing and I didn't pack good enough foods today. I had a small salad that looked very unappetizing and I didn't end up eating, a very small portion of leftover chicken and zoodles, and a small sweet potato. I had breakfast super early so I felt so hungry by like 9. And when I get too cold, I always get cravings for warm hearty food and it was intense this morning. I fought it all day, but I had my wallet with me and that was my downfall. I still only ate technically whole30 foods (not really though bc they were the packaged stuff like rx bars, dried fruit, plantain chips, etc.), but I shouldn't be having that stuff, oh and way too many nuts and fruit. Went to the store on the way home, bought more snacks and now i'm at home feeling so sick. I know being tired makes it hard, but I feel like I used that as my excuse today. I told myself it was ok bc I was cold and tired and needed something to make me feel good. Next time I guess I will know to watch out for these triggers, and I already knew it would be an issue soon bc it always was last year, but I'll try and prepare myself better from now on. And no more credit card at work. It was an accident today, and a very unfortunate one. 

Hope everyone else had a better day than I did! I am going to head to bed early and hopefully get a better nights rest and wake up feeling ready to keep pushing through this. 

@Dragonslayer  Being cold and tired is like kryptonite.  But you're clearly using this as another piece of information and can adjust accordingly -- bring more food and layers.  And on the food, I know it's tough to do but maybe think about bringing things that really appeal and taste good rather than leftovers.  There's a new frittata recipe I've seen that looks relish where you use roasted red peppers (from a jar), arugula, dairy free pesto (Just put lots of basil and parsley plus a quarter cup of walnuts and a teaspoon salt in a blender.  Pour in olive oil until it has the consistency you like) and eight eggs.  Saute the arugula and peppers,  Put in a bowl, add the pesto to your liking and then mix in the eggs and bake for about 30-40 mins.  Something like that might be super easy to pack.  Hope you have a better day today.  Day nine for me and trucking along. 

@hmg1993 I’m making that tonight. Sounds amazing. And I actually already have some pesto I made from the other night so it’s perfect. And yes I agree with the food. It was really because I ran out of my sheet pan leftovers (that were still super good heated up), and then also ran out of my frittata from earlier in the week. Salad just doesn’t cut it in the winter. I’m gonna have to start doing crock pots of stuff too. It’s just gotta be warm and satisfying in some way when I’m in that state. And @littleg that’s actually an amazing idea. I can definitely bring small containers of coconut cream and add it to the coffee we ALWAYS have brewing. And spices as well. I’ve never tried that cause I always just have black coffee in the morning and usually i don’t like to drink more during the day, or have tea, but yesterday I think that would have been perfect. Thanks for the ideas ladies! Stomach is totally “F”ed this morning (to be expected), but I got up super early because I wasn’t sleeping anyways and made a quick sautéed sausage peppers onions some hard boiled eggs and another container with leftover venison green chile. All foods that will be much more satisfying today I think! Hope you both have a great day and are still going strong! 

Happy Monday.  Hope everyone had a good weekend.  Finally figured out my Thanksgiving menu and sharing below in the event it's helpful:

Roast Turkey (I just stuff cavity with lemon, herbs, celery and carrots and then roast according to weight.  I used to brine but not convinced it's worth the effort!)

Roasted fingerling and Japanese sweet potato wedges

Roasted brussels sprouts with cranberries and bacon

Roasted green beans with shallots and pumpkin seeds

(Common denominator on side dishes is that they're all easy and can be done on a sheet pan)

This butternut squash casserole ...

http://meljoulwan.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/

Fruit salad made with berries and dried figs, marinated with a vanilla bean pod.  Served with coconut whipped cream

There will be stuffing, creamed onions and pie for the non W30's (basically everyone but me!)

@hmg1993 Sounds amazing! Definitely might copy some of those ideas. Haven’t figured out my menu at all, but since my fiancé is gluten free now, it makes my excuse easier about why there is a lack of breaded foods and bread in general. I think I’m just gonna buy a loaf of French bread for cheap for the bread eaters with a cheese plate because I don’t feel like making too many dishes this year. 

I still ate way too much yesterday trying to bounce back from my funk. I was still so exhausted and didn’t have the energy to be so in control. But all completely Whole 30 foods, nothing of my list, so at least that’s good! This week as been an overload of food. I really think I’ve gained 10 lbs. I don’t care at all though, which is the very good and surprising part. I’m just happy I’m still staying on track and know it will all balance out eventually. But I do feel just full, bloated, sluggish, and gross from all the excess. Packing some lighter meals and gonna work on doing things that make me feel good today. We find out all the dirty details about my moms prognosis this afternoon so I’m definitely anxious, but not letting that derail me. Staying positive and focused. Have a great day everyone! I’ve lost track which is probably good, but I think I’m on day 12 or 13. Not bad! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@hmg1993 If I didn't have to work Turkey Day I think I'd invite myself over!  To have a completely W30 menu... I can't even imagine how nice that would be!  

@Dragonslayer You've got so much on your plate right now... I hope you get as positive of a prognosis as one can in your mom's situation today.  

Thanks everyone. The prognosis was definitely better than my crazy head was worried it would be, so I have only reasons to be positive and hopeful. It helped boost my mood, I feel a little less stressed, and strangely, after the results, my stomach and mind felt so much more calm. It’s crazy how stress is so directly related to the gut. Anyways, good day for me. Haven’t had dinner yet but was very mindful of my hunger all day and plan to continue through the night. Hope everyone had a good day! 

2 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

Thanks everyone. The prognosis was definitely better than my crazy head was worried it would be, so I have only reasons to be positive and hopeful. It helped boost my mood, I feel a little less stressed, and strangely, after the results, my stomach and mind felt so much more calm. It’s crazy how stress is so directly related to the gut. Anyways, good day for me. Haven’t had dinner yet but was very mindful of my hunger all day and plan to continue through the night. Hope everyone had a good day! 

Great to hear!  Thinking of you!!  Made it through day 10 at this end so will take it.  Felt hungry but worked out so natural I think.  

Congrats girls, for making through even with so much going on. I’m glad to hear about your mom’s prognosis DS, wishing the best for her. 

Ive been a little quiet lately just trying to figure out about myself and what to do now, (I can’t do much actually because I don’t have a job still, at least I can control my food). So today is my day 30 and I don’t think I’m ready to stop it, I’ll keep going for one more week and then re-evaluate again. I feel that I accomplished half of my goals, I’m not craving for pasta, bread or cheese since Friday so I guess I really detoxified from it, but not feeling strong enough to try them, the problem is with my chocolate addiction, it stills here. I think it has to be about all the fruits that a had during the program, so for this week I’ll keep the fruits off of my plan, last night I dreamed that I had a banana, lol. 

Hope everyone has a great week! 

Ps @hmg1993 even though we don’t celebrate TG here I’ll definitely try that pumpkin casserole, I just need to get another coconut for the milk cause yesterday I opened the last one and was all moldy =(

@Pandora 30 days! So awesome! Good for you. Don’t stop until you KNOW you are ready. And don’t let your brain trick you into thinking you can stop early bc of cravings. Mine tries to do that all the time. 

@hmg1993 yay for 10 days! Let’s both keep trucking. Sounds like you are in a good place mentally. I feel the same about the fruit and nuts. I do way better without both. I was really good about not having both for a while, but not recently. There is always this huge bag of roasted almonds at work recently and it’s so inviting. I went too crazy the other day, but haven’t had any since. And the fruit I’m just not keeping in the house still but if I have it at work or somewhere else, I’m just considering it better than caving and eating sugar. I made that pesto frittata last night and am so excited to try it this morning for breakfast! I also made the most delicious pumpkin chili for dinner and have lots of leftovers so I’m feeling good about my food for today. 

Thanks =)

Yeah baby steps are the key I guess, I don’t think I would have made through without fruits, but now I feel stronger to try it. I actually didn’t think the fruits were doing any harm, I thought I was learning how to replace my chocolate and then when I finished the 30 days I would be able to make better choices, but now that I don’t crave cheese, pasta and bread I understand how I wanna feel about my chocolate addiction too, I don’t wanna it to exist anymore, so I need to eliminate all the sugar for some more days or weeks. The good part is that I don’t like dried fruits and just have some nuts (had around 5 times during the w30) when there’s nothing else on hand like fruits (no more from now on)  or HB eggs. Yesterday I made a jar of pickled quail eggs (never found it in US) they are really small and a delicious snack when you are to anxious and need to chew something. 

Im also not satisfied with my weight loss during this process, I lost all the weight during the first two weeks and then stopped, my total loss was 6.61lbs I know it’s not bad, but I wanna more. 

@Dragonslayer please can you post the pumpkin chili recipe?

today’s lunch was a sheet pan roasted vegetables I had 1/3 of a kabocha squash, 2 carrots, 2 beets and 2 onions with oregano, rosemary, salt, avocado oil and a drizzled of red wine vinegar since there is no w30 balsamic vinegar here. I ate it all with no guilt, was so delicious.lol 

A question for everybody here, have anyone experienced not craving sugar at all? How is that? You just see the candy bar and don’t think about the taste that it has? During the first two and half weeks I used to smell the bread and think of how much I wanted it and how much I would eat of it when I finished my w30 but now I think about bread and I feel nothing, the taste has desapered from my head (I remember that it’s good and a comfortable food, but I have no desire for eating it) It’s hard to explain, there also something emotional about it. Just wondering if with the sugar will happen the same. And if you were crave free but you had some sugar what happened next? Did the crave just come back? 

I know it’s different for everyone but I just wanna have an ideia of what’s ahead of me.

@Pandora can’t relate at all with the sugar thing. I crave sweets a lot still, but it’s much worse at certain times va others. I don’t crave bad processed foods with sugar like Oreos or stuff like that much anymore, but you put a hot bakery cinnamon roll in front of me and I’ll freak out with cravings. Everyone is different though. And I think the cravings go away over time. 

Pumpkin chili: 

1 lb ground beef (I used grass fed 85/15) 

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

1 whole bell pepper, chopped

1/2 medium sized jicama, chopped

1 large tomato, diced

1 small can tomato paste

1 carton broth (I used chicken stock)

1 tbsp garlic powder

1/2 tbsp onion powder

1-2 tsp smoked paprika (to taste)

1-2 tsp ground chipotle chile (to taste) 

2 tsp cumin

1 Tsp Ras Al Hanout (its a mixture of cinnamon, paprika, and some other spices you can look up if you don’t have- goes well with pumpkin flavor) 

1 tsp salt

As much pumpkin as you want (could use canned, I used just the spooned our insides of one that was roasted, and I probably put in 1 1/2 cups approximately)

sautee the veggies all together for about 10 minutes in a large pot. While they are cooking, lightly brown ground beef in separate pan until still a little rare. Pour broth, can of tomato paste, pumpkin, ground beef, and spices in with veggies. Bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Top with avocado (optional) 

Yum.  The chili looks amazing.  As for not craving chocolate.  W30 helps.  W60 nearly nailed it completely for me and I went without for more than a year and didn't even think about it or want it.  Until I did again.  Not sure of the triggers.  Although I think I got sloppy and let things creep back into my diet and it started to reawaken my cravings.  Right now I don't crave it at all.  

@Dragonslayer thanks for the recipe, I guess I could use mushrooms instead of the meat. Yeah I get you, I’m not so much into cookies, lollipops and this stuff, my biggest problem is mostly chocolate, ice cream, fancy desserts and pastries, I don’t know what to think right now , cause I don’t wanna to give it up forever I just want to learn how to have the right amount of it without losing control.  

@hmg1993 wow congrats on that, I don’t think I’ll ever get there. How is it to not want chocolate at all, don’t you feel sad? Like knowing that it is good but you don’t wanna it? Sorry about my negativism here, I’m just confused because I wanna have chocolate and at the same time I wish I didn’t wanna. 

I guess I’m gonna wait till Christmas to have any dessert again. 

Todays is day 3 without any fruits =/

@Pandora  I honestly think it's like any other habit you form.  At first you think you can't live without it and then after a while you lose the taste for it.  Trust me, I love chocolate and carbs to beat the band.  But they don't love me back and I know I am better off without.  I just need to remind myself of that when temptation strikes!

I hope everyone has had a good day.  I am looking forward to a day off!

Well my streak ends once again. 14 days. And once again, it was just the stress and anxiety that got to me again. I didn’t breathe, or try to just let the thoughts and cravings be there. I gave in too quickly. Came home from eating a huge delicious dinner out, and then lost control which was so surprising after having a really good strong day all through work. It hit me so unexpectedly, probably because I was very full which is always a trigger, and all the sudden I downed I don’t even know how many corn tortillas rolled with honey and 3/4 jar of peanut butter. Strange choices I know but it’s all we had in the house that would satisfy. Waiting for family to get to town now and feeling very sick. I’m assuming that’s part of my stress. I know It shouldn’t be but the holidays and family are stressful for me. I need to get more comfortable with it and enjoy the time with loved ones, but the food situations always overwhelm me. I feel slightly better after reading in FFF that Melissa says “this WILL happen to you”, referring to a relapse where you just fall back into old habits and can’t seem to snap out of it for a while. I guess I’m there this past month or 2. It’s no excuse, but I’m just being kind to myself and saying it’s ok, I just need to keep focusing on getting back on track and eventually I will get better. Not giving up and not beating myself up, but of course the frustration and regret is still there. Probably will be slightly absent for the next week due to crazy schedule with work and visitors, but I plan to continue going back to whole 30 eating to keep working on engraining the good habits. Hope everyone has a good thanksgiving. Stay strong and enjoy the delicious food, whatever it may be! 

Don't despair @Dragonslayer  It will absolutely happen.  That's real life.  The test is not if it happens but how we recover and the key there is as you say being kind to yourself, realizing that this will pass.  That way, when stress hits us it won't totally derail and send one wrong turn into the wrong direction.  You have been and are doing great.  Happy Thanksgiving!!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@Dragonslayer I can't say it better than @hmg1993.  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :) Not sure what today will bring food wise for me... I've been holding out all week for today - I've been feeling kind of urgey all week but kept telling myself "if you still feel this way Thursday then go for it, but not until then".  So that means each night I went to bed wanting all the food and woke up wanting eggs, spinach, peppers, onions and salmon :)  I may do this wild and crazy thing and eat too much (but not binge), like everyone else and just see what happens.  I also slept like crap last night and don't want to again tonight so maybe I'll just eat foods I know make me feel good.  I may cook up a few side dishes to bring to our destination tonight because I'm pretty sure there won't be a menu like hmg's there :)   I did make myself my pumpkin not-pie and even got some organic heavy whipping cream to put into my whipped cream maker so I'll definitely have some of that!

Archived