Binge eating and re-starting Whole30

5280sarah

Hey girls, 

So @5280sarah no, I’m from Brazil, if it’s hard to find them in the UK can u imagine here? Even at health stores I didn’t see it, saw online but it’s sold out (the nutritional yeast that’s approved) and also was pretty pricey. 

@Dragonslayer I think you did great at sticking up with w30 foods, the first week was the worst for me, it requires a lot of willpower to stay on the track as you did, otherwise the ‘I’ll start tomorrow again’ comes into mind and don’t leave me alone for hours. So way to go girl! You got this. Even now that I’m almost there I still have my bananas everyday, if I need them to keep me here I’ll have them. 

@littleg sorry no idea about the mayo problem, I’m so addicted to mayo, I can finish a 30 once jar in a week and I haven’t had it since started w30, first because there is no w30 approved mayo here and second because it never works when I try to make it, can someone please help me out? I tried to make with the blender, egg, salt, oil, lime... never got mayo.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just look MCT oil up (never heard of it before)

just an idea about the price here,

soy oil 32oz R$ 2

sunflower oil 32oz R$ 7

Avocado oil 32oz R$ 110

MTC oil 32oz R$ 200

at home we use sunflower and avocado.

Todays lunch: palm hearts spaghetti with mushrooms in tomato sauce and then banana ice cream with nutmeg and cinnamon.

@Pandora my never fail mayo recipe follows

in a large glass put one large egg, 2 tablespoons of lemon or lime juice, one teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of dry mustard. Add in a cup of light olive oil. Put your immersion blender in bottom of glass and turn on. Count to 30 in your head and then slowly bring the blender up the glass. It’s done!

• Whole30 Certified Coach
1 hour ago, Pandora said:

Wow, just look MCT oil up (never heard of it before)

just an idea about the price here,

soy oil 32oz R$ 2

sunflower oil 32oz R$ 7

Avocado oil 32oz R$ 110

MTC oil 32oz R$ 200

at home we use sunflower and avocado.

I don't even know what R$ are... :/  I buy it online and it comes out to about $13 (US)/32 oz.  I wouldn't use soy oil if it were free.  I actually do 1/2 and 1/2 avocado oil but I pay close to $10/16 oz for that so its even more expensive than the MCT oil.  I'm still not sure how I feel about sunflower oil.  

I use a similar recipe for the mayo and use my immersion blender.  In 3+ years I've had one time only it didn't emulsify beautifully.  I've also used light tasting olive oil but the MCT oil is about the same price and, maybe I'm crazy, but for some reason I'd rather have processed MCT oil than processed olive oil from Bertolli.  Ever since that scam about soy and canola oils in olive oil I've been hesitant to buy regular grocery store chain olive oil.  And I go through A LOT of mayo.  I'd love to switch to all avocado but I don't like the taste (or the price!).    

1 hour ago, littleg said:

I don't even know what R$ are... :/  I buy it online and it comes out to about $13 (US)/32 oz.  I wouldn't use soy oil if it were free.  I actually do 1/2 and 1/2 avocado oil but I pay close to $10/16 oz for that so its even more expensive than the MCT oil.  I'm still not sure how I feel about sunflower oil.  

I use a similar recipe for the mayo and use my immersion blender.  In 3+ years I've had one time only it didn't emulsify beautifully.  I've also used light tasting olive oil but the MCT oil is about the same price and, maybe I'm crazy, but for some reason I'd rather have processed MCT oil than processed olive oil from Bertolli.  Ever since that scam about soy and canola oils in olive oil I've been hesitant to buy regular grocery store chain olive oil.  And I go through A LOT of mayo.  I'd love to switch to all avocado but I don't like the taste (or the price!).    

This is like dead on my exact feelings about oils haha. I feel like we have so many similar little things in common. I have read (and watched documentaries) a lot of books and articles that say that sunflower oil is just as bad as the other stuff. There is a lot of evidence and science that I totally believe and made a lot of sense, so I stay away from it whenever possible. Ive actually been very surprised that the whole30 (and Melissa) are so loving of the Tessamae's dressings, bc they are all made with sunflower oil. Its very inflammatory and refined/processed. Anyways, as for the dip, I bet it would work if you just use more coconut cream, a little oil, and maybe add an egg or the yolk? Or maybe even just add a little arrowroot or tapiocha flour to the extra coconut cream to thicken it? I dunno, that makes me curious to try! The mayo definitely is thicker than the coconut cream, but I think you are right about it just melting to oil. Honestly though I am not totally sure. 

And as for MCT oil, I have been wanting to try it for months and for some reason everytime I make a Thrive Market order online, I never put it in the cart. Do you notice any of the benefits that are advertised for it like "better brain function, more energy, better sleep" etc? I think maybe im hesitant because in my last whole30, I tried using Collagen Peptides (the primal kitchen brand powder) and had the weirdest reaction... like dizzy all day, felt like I was having an out of body experience, everyone looked and sounded super weird, and the only way could describe a similar feeling was like I was more stoned than ever imaginable. That happened after having it in my coffee like they recommend on the third day, and I never took it since. I also tried fish oil supplements and also had a very weird reaction from that as well. I decided to stop trying all the trendy things like that because obviously something in me was not agreeing with the new stuff, but I still would like to try the MCT because I have heard so many things about how great it is neurologically for your brain and even with cravings, mood, etc.  

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dragonslayer said:

This is like dead on my exact feelings about oils haha. I feel like we have so many similar little things in common. I have read (and watched documentaries) a lot of books and articles that say that sunflower oil is just as bad as the other stuff. There is a lot of evidence and science that I totally believe and made a lot of sense, so I stay away from it whenever possible. Ive actually been very surprised that the whole30 (and Melissa) are so loving of the Tessamae's dressings, bc they are all made with sunflower oil. Its very inflammatory and refined/processed.

There's a huge difference between plain sunflower seed oil and high oleic sunflower oil which is in the same quality category as extra virgin olive oil in that it is mostly monounsaturated. Unfortunately all oil is refined/processed but if you wanted to try a seed oil, high oleic is where it's at.

@hmg1993 I feel like a little kid right now. I just put my first sheet pan meal in the oven and ive been going back to the oven like every 5 minutes to check on it and see what it looks like. It was so simple, took probably 8 minutes to put together, and I just can't believe its going to work so well! I always cook meat and veggies separately, I really need to continue doing this 1 pan thing. It just made my whole meal prep so much less exhausting and with way less dishes! I did parsnips, yellow squash, purple cauliflower, lots of chunks of garlic, chicken breasts coated in homemade pesto, and then olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano over the veggies. I also was inspired by the 1 pan and made a frittata in my cast iron that is in the oven with the sheet pan. It has italian sausage, peppers, spinach, seasoning, eggs, and coconut cream. I can't wait to pull my food out at work and watch everyone be so impressed haha. 

@Pandora urgh - that's too bad about the ingredients. You probably have to be a lot more creative in your cooking and focus on REALLY fresh ingredients. Not a bad thing but annoying when you want those extra ingredients to make recipes taste great. 

@hmg1993 that's so funny that you are from the UK too! Small world! I live in Colorado now so not as frozen as the north but still a little frozen. I used to live in NYC though so I remember the winters there. 

@littleg so happy the little man is feeling better. I remember those days so well! My husband gets back Saturday with my mother in law in tow. 

Sheet pan meals rock! I finally got to the store and bought eggs. Am planning an egg based meal for dinner in celebration!

Got through day 4 which I view as a minor miracle given the last several weeks!!  Food today included my frittata, omelet with avocado, roasted vegetables and then swordfish and salad for dinner.  Plus a handful of chestnuts.  One of my favorite things!!  @Dragonslayer I am so pleased to hear the sheet pan is a hit.  It's honestly how i do the bulk of my cooking these days. @5280sarah Where in England?  I'm from Lancaster.  @littleg  Glad both you and little man are doing good.  What is MCT oil and what does it taste like??

I just ate a celebratory frittata tonight too. It was so good. I had that and a chicken and bacon salad for lunch and sausage, avocado and an RX bar for breakfast. I had some ginger kombucha too. @hmg1993 I am originally from Newcastle so not too far from you! I was astounded and horrified to find that you cannot buy RX bars in the UK (or I couldn't find them if you can). 

I wish I could hear you ladies talk instead of read your words.  I love English accents :) 

Definitely going to have to get on this sheet pan bandwagon...

@Dragonslayer and @hmg1993 I don't feel anything with the MCT oil.  A friend @Brewer5 mentioned she used it for mayo so I decided to try it instead of the light olive oil.  It is totally neutral, no flavor.  Most people use it for bulletproof coffee and such.  It is supposed to be preferentially oxidized by the liver and thus less likely to be stored as body fat but... who knows.  I do know that I eat at least a jar of mayo a week and, well, I didn't think one could do that and not weigh 500 lbs but it is possible :)

One more random thing... last week WF had Rao's sauce on sale.  I've never tried it before because, well, $9 a bottle.  But holy moly, it is GOOD!  We did chicken parm last night on a spaghetti squash and it was amazing.  So good that despite there being cheese on top of the chicken I went back for seconds of just the squash with extra sauce :) Also, I just realized that last night was the first night I used a small plate in a while (we just had the chicken parm, no veggies or salad so the one little square would have seemed so small <-- my thinking).  And what did I do... back for seconds and thirds (both of just squash and sauce).  Hmm... 

Yeah actually I’ve been using the small plate for breakfast recently and have noticed I️ don’t go back for seconds (because I️ only make enough for the one plate) but like an hour after I️ eat I️m starting to graze for more. Down with the small plate! Haha. Not really, but mentally for me, it’s not working yet. 

I️m back to work today full time! Yay! Except they put me on for 7 straight days before I️ get a day off! Oh well, the time off has been nice but I️m so over it so it’s all good. Got my frittata for breakfast, sheet pan lunch packed in like 45 seconds, and another 2nd lunch of leftover salmon, spaghetti squash, and asparagus. Hope everyone has a great day! Today is one week for me! :D

Thanks for the tips @hmg1993 and @littleg, I’m gonna try it. But I’m gonna use sunflower oil, first cause I really don’t like the taste of olive oil, I hate olives so, and second because of the price of the avocado oil (never payed attention to its taste actually, I guess I like it) and my mom would kill me if I use it all making mayo. I don’t like the idea of having so much oil, even the avocado so that kept me away from mayo during my w30 too (besides no w30 mayo to buy and that I can’t make it) till now but I miss it so bad that just having it one time it’s not gonna be a huge deal I guess. 

R$ it’s the currency here in Brazil and right now 1U$ its 3,30 R$. So the MCT oil would be around 60U$ pretty crazy hm. Even if I buy stuff at Amazon and they send it here I’ll have to pay taxes so it’s gonna go around the same price anyway..

@Dragonslayer congrats through your first week, for me was the most difficult one, hope that you feel stronger now to keep it going. I also don’t like oil, I try to avoid it the most as I can, but because of the price we have to mix the sunflower oil here, usually when my mom cooks she uses a lot so the sunflower it’s a good alternative for that, when I cook just for myself I use the avocado one. 

@SugarcubeOD I didn’t find here the high oleic sunflower, just the medium oleic =/

@5280sarah exactly, it would make my w30 so much easier and tastier. The bright side is that I’ve been using a lot of herbs and spices to give the food some flavor. 

@hmg1993congrats to you too, have you tried to barbecue your chestnuts? It’s really good, I tried this way when visiting Turkey, I had no idea you could grill them. They put with the shell and after a while the nut grows and breaks the shell.

Today’s lunch was cauliflower burger (processed cauliflower with onions, parsley, spices and eggs) wrapped in collards with tomatoes and mustard.

2 hours ago, Pandora said:

R$ it’s the currency here in Brazil and right now 1U$ its 3,30 R$. So the MCT oil would be around 60U$ pretty crazy hm. Even if I buy stuff at Amazon and they send it here I’ll have to pay taxes so it’s gonna go around the same price anyway..

Wow.  Yeah, skip the MCT oil ;) 

Hi everyone!  Hope it's been a good day.  I made it to day 5 which feels good and no urges to consume all things.  For now at least!  Made it to exercise class too, which is also a minor miracle.  Food today .. Scrambled eggs with green beans and avocado, more of my frittata with roasted vegetables and then tonight we're  having steak with artichoke and a big spinach salad.  @Dragonslayer Seven days straight sounds intense!  Way to go on hitting a week!!  @littleg I ordered the oil and am keen to try! @Pandora  I am so trying the chestnuts!  In England we roast them.  @5280sarah  I love Newcastle.  Alas I can't eat RX bars as they wake up my sugar dragon!  

Guys my new favorite thing is roasting purple cabbage at 450 until slightly crispy with just salt and either spray with olive oil or drizzle lightly. ITS SO GOOD. gets a little sweet but the crunchy salty is almost like similar to kale chips. You should try it. 

Good day for me. Being back at work is so nice. Im hoping it really helps me dive hard into week 2 and stay focused. im also not taking my credit card to work because then i cant go buy any other food than what i bring! kinda feel like a teenager whos mom took her money away, but im hoping it helps bc i wont have to even think about deciding whether or not i should go buy anything or not. 

Tonight- Burgers with sauteed leeks and avocado on top, baked cabbage and zucchini sticks, and roasted acorn squash. 

@hmg1993You are so close to 1 week! You got this! @littlegAlso ordering the oil this week. Im excited to try. @PandoraDont be hesitant about oil. Its SOOOO good for you, helps your metabolism, and DOES NOT cause weight gain like we all used to think. 

@Dragonslayer - yay to the start of ski season. I had a couple of friends go up today but I normally don't start heading up there until after Christmas when my kids lessons start. I'm excited to ski this year. I'm sure that you have whole30 ski food down but I always used to be a big fan of the frittata in a ziplock bag (nice and flat to fit in my pocket) and an avocado (don't laugh). I also used to bring my own mint tea bag and just pay the 20cents or whatever it is for a cup and hot water as I refuse to pay ski resort prices for a tea bag! As you can tell I'm a pretty cheap person but the resort prices are so high and the food is terrible. I could never face paying $25 for a bad meal regularly! You have me craving a burger as your burger sounds so good. It's pretty slim pickings in my house right now as my kid is still sick and still at home so I haven't been to the store yet to restock. I ate an RX bar for breakfast before dropping off my little one at preschool then curried butternut squash soup and an apple midmorning, 2 sausage patties, 2 eggs, asparagus and fingerling potatoes and then roasted cauliflower and homemade spaghetti sauce for dinner. As you can tell my meal timings are a big off today and I was super hungry (more so than usual). I might try to do burgers tomorrow as yours sounded really good. Sounds like we are all on a good streak right now - YAYYYY @littleg @hmg1993

@Dragonslayer, @hmg1993, @5280sarah - glad to hear good stories :) I love logging in to find them!  Totally jealous of you two CO folks... There is a ski place near our new house.  I think the vertical drop is... maybe 600 feet :lol: But it will be good for snot monster, I mean the little guy, to learn.  I grew up taking one or two week long vacations to Utah or Colorado and can't wait to do the same with him.  Sarah - how old were your kids when you started them in lessons?  

For some reason the "@" function is no longer working... DS - I do the same thing at the hospital - with Panera, Starbucks, Dunkin, etc around - I don't bring my wallet to work.  Every financial planner will tell you the best way to save for your future is to do exactly that - stop buying $3 coffees and $10 burgers :) So just think of it as an investment towards your retirement!  But the one thing I do associate with skiing is that smell of burgers on a grill... but those are W30 anyway!  Pre baby on big hikes I'd bring a block of cheese.  So don't feel bad about an avocado Sarah :) 

hmg - yeah for day 5!  And exercise!  And especially no urges!  

Pandora - don't be afraid of good fats... they really do help keep you full and are good for you.  What is the traditional fat for cooking in Brazil - like 100 years ago?  I think here in the US it was mostly lard, tallow and butter - so I use those whenever I can when I can get them from good sources.  

Things have been ok here since my binge last week.  I've been stuck in a weird food rut though.  I've been eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch - my egg scramble with lox, onions, peppers and spinach and mayo.  It is literally all I want.  I don't know what to make of that.  It certainly isn't the least healthy food rut in the world but I feel like I *should* eat different foods :) And I keep eating those turkey burgers with cranberry sauce for dinner too... I look through magazines and the web for recipes but nothing sounds appealing...

@littleg One thing I think I learned last time was that when I was in a food rut, I tried to force myself to eat veggies and stuff I didn’t want, and that started to turn me off to the Whole30 foods in general, which then led to cravings and a binge. Recently when I felt like this, I just said, I’m just going to eat what I’m in the mood for regardless, and it actually made me feel way better after a few days and then I eventually wanted different foods. I think you just have to eat what you crave. And those foods are going to give you plenty of the nutrients you need so I would run with it. Sometimes I eat a different form of cauliflower rice for every meal. Another time, all I ate was meat and potatoes all day for 3 days (recently). 

@5280sarah I actually don’t have the ski foods Totally down bc I started Whole30 more towards this past summer, but I was on the track to Whole30 so I do remember packing an avocado in my jacket as well (it stays cold and is pretty good!) as well as jerky, clementines, and I also slicing sweet potatoes into a disc shape and making them into small sandwiches with almond butter and other stuff. That I remember being delicious and a good fuel source. I have a fridge and backpack/locker though at work everyday at the top of the mountain so I usually can pack a normal lunch (and 2nd lunch and snacks). Skiing is not gonna be worth it til the holidays anyways BTW, not a lot of snow yet. 

@hmg1993 Have you done a sheet pan with steak or a roast ever and like cut it thinner so it cooks around the same time? Curious to try with maybe steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers or something. 

Oh also, anyone ever have the weird food dreams? Mine started last night. Happened around day 15 for me last time so I’m earlier now, don’t know if that’s good or bad? Anyways, last night is was dancing birthday cake flavored Oreos with angel wings and I was catching them and dipping them in nuttzo butter. I’m assuming this goes back to my roots of my original favorite binge food which was mint Oreos dipped in peanut butter and/or Nutella. I woke up for a second Totally thinking I had caved and binged and then realized it was a dream. Scary for a sec, but then pretty funny. I haven’t had an Oreo in years (I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague, even when bingeing), so that was a weird one! 

1 hour ago, Dragonslayer said:

Oh also, anyone ever have the weird food dreams? ...last night is was dancing birthday cake flavored Oreos with angel wings and I was catching them and dipping them in nuttzo butter...

What about the one where you are jumping over the Grand Canyon in a VW Beetle with a rhubarb dressed as Darth Vader?!!

@hmg1993 I’m so jealous of your chestnuts right now. Hahaha, I’ll look for them here, hope I can find it. 

@Dragonslayer I always do this, not carrying cards or even money. If I can’t control myself at least my wallet can :D and as Littleg said it’s a great way to save money and I love to save money I’m Taurus with asc in Capricorn, all about the money here. I’ll try your purple cabbage, I know we have those here! You just shred it? Really thin? About the oil I don’t mind having a lot of avocado or nut, but when it comes to just the oil I freak out, all I can think is that is a huge amount of empties calories and I don’t like that (problems from my previous eating disorder). I shouldn’t be so worried about that, cause since I don’t eat meat I don’t have all the fat on my plate but still.  No weird dreams for me so far.

@littleg hm, I guess it’s lard and soy oil (cause it’s really cheap), so I will stick with my avocado and sometimes sunflower oil for now. I agree with DS, you have to eat whatever you are in the mood for, even if it means the same old thing. The first days are hard so it’s important to keep your urge under control and if having the same is working then that’s great, I’ve been having bananas every single day from day 1, not proud of it but I’m on day 25 so it’s working. 

@5280sarah wish you kid gets better soon.

Nearly Friday friends and Day 6 in the bag.  Phew.  Tomorrow will be a big milestone for me as I think the first week is always the toughest.  Food today -- Scrambled eggs with fingerling potatoes and peppers; two hard boiled eggs with mayo and roasted veggies; roasted pork tenderloin with butternut squash and red onion with a mustard rosemary glaze.  An apple and some chestnuts.  @Dragonslayer i haven't tried steak on a sheet plan.  I am not very good at cooking it but I bet if you marinate it first it would work well.  Your red cabbage sounds delicious.  Will definitely try!! @Pandora  Bravo on day 25!  @littleg  I wouldn't worry about eating the same foods.  Eat what makes you feel good.  My breakfasts rarely change!

@hmg1993 YAY!! 1 WEEK! I totally agree its always the hardest. Well for me more like the first 10 days, but yeah, we are all doing awesome and need to stay on this good streak! Positive vibes and confidence. Good and busy day. But now I am realizing that I should have done way more wedding planning when I had all the downtime. Its so hard to come home from work and do it. I haven't even sent out my save the dates yet! GAHH! Anyways, food today: Frittata with side salad of avocado, greens, jicama, and onions; leftover sheet pan chicken and veggies; leftover salmon with asparagus and greens; chicken thighs with baked fennel, rosemary sweet potato bites, and a salad with radishes, celery, and dijon vinaigrette. 

My dragon is being a real asshole today guys. At work, having cravings, but just trying to breathe and do stuff to stay distracted. I’m just worried about after work bc I have to do our weekly grocery shopping and I don’t wanna freak out in the store. Really focusing though and feel like I’ll be ok, just wanted to check in so I’m extra accountable! 

Archived