Prepping for my first Whole 30! Starting October 1

Mary, Elsie's mon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todays success: Whole30 seared salmon benedict without the eggs.

A few weeks ago, I had a salad with a delicious piece of grilled salmon at a local restaurant.  A few days later I threw a piece of salmon on my grill to throw on top of a salad and it was not good.  Today I used the recipe in the W30 book for seared salmon benedict and it was fantastic!  I didn't do the eggs or the hollandaise, just the seared salmon.  Happily there is enough left over for tomorrow.  This will be in my regular rotation! 

Here's a link https://whole30.com/2015/04/seared-salmon-benedict/

Hi ladies! I've been AWOL from checking in over the weekend as I tend to only look at my phone and not turn on the computer on weekends - and since I type slowly on my phone, I was reading but not responding. 

Shelly - sounds like your surgery went wall and I'm totally looking the other way on your post-op roll! You've been up and cooking, so you must be feeling pretty good after surgery. I need to try the salmon recipe as I haven't historically been great at cooking fish. I can do shrimp blindfolded, but other fish I am not always good at. I've been trying again lately and have done ok but I haven't knocked it out of the park, yet. 

Mary - glad you got over your bug and I love that you're enjoying "mocktails" over the real thing. Once you get out of the habit, it's not hard to avoid those things. I used to have wine with my BFF after work (we were teachers and needed it!) almost every day while we debriefed the day. Now, I go weeks without wine, even when now on the W30 and don't notice. Even when my BFF and I get together, we don't miss the wine - we have tea or water but still enjoy our "sessions" just as much. 

I'm on day 15 so it's my halfway point and I feel good and totally committed! I had an experience this weekend that confirmed and reminded me again why I chose to get my act together and get healthy. I went to meet up with my second mom (I lived with my BFFs family in high school when my parents moved away) as she was in the area for an annual bowling trip with her friends. I wanted to avoid going to eat with them, so went to watch them bowl for awhile. Even without eating, it was further confirmation of why I have changed my eating habits and why I need to stay on track forever. My other mom has never been healthy and it's more heartbreaking to see her now because she's really not well. She is 76 but she has so many issues that were preventable had she known more about nutrition years ago....and she still smokes...sigh..and drinks Pepsi daily...sigh... I watched her eat a cheeseburger, then 3 fun sized candy bars, pop a couple of large pain killers and then literally crash. She was unsteady, feeling a lot of pain and had to quit bowling for the day. When I left her, she was napping in the car. I remember seeing my own parents in similar condition (mom with emphysema and dad with type 2 diabetes) and it underscored why I have chosen not to live that life. I don't want to do that to my daughter - and my grandchild who is on the way  :) - I want to be there for them and able to enjoy my time with them. I lost my mom when I was 32 and my daughter lost her amazing grandma when she was only 10 and it was 100% preventable. I have another close friend who is 75 and is the polar opposite. She's always instinctively eaten real foods and never went to the doctor and never even takes an aspirin. She seems 20 years younger than my other mother. I want to be her!!

As we all start looking forward to our post-W30 days, let's keep the long haul picture in mind and think about our senior years and who we want to be during that time of our lives and how we want to be living life. 

Congrats on the halfway mark! Betsie

Hi everybody! 

Another crazy work week behind me, and 21 days of success on W30! Good for us! I'm not feeling any tiger blood yet, but have also decided I'm going to extend my W30 to a W60 (and maybe even a W90!), because I am feeling better and better. Today was actually kind-of a yuck day, and I haven't eaten enough because I've got a tummy bug. I had a good W30 breakfast, but then, ick ... lots of time in the bathroom, plus nausea (though no vomiting, thank god), then about 4 hours of hard sleep. I had a little bit of chicken, and a banana about 2 hours ago, and kept it down, but I think I'm going to try just some bone broth with well-cooked veggies in it in a little while. 

But guess what I DID just do? I signed up for a trail month of beginner Pilates online via the Daily Burn. This forum has been so helpful to me that I figured I'd add something I could do in my little yoga room (to my slow rambles with my dog, my extreme gardening, and my newly-resurrected yoga practice). I'm pretty excited! I've also rewarded myself for my progress with a new lipstick, which is supposed to arrive on Monday. ☺️

I am sleeping MUCH better, and for the first time since, like, ever in my life, I wake up refreshed and don't struggle to rise after hitting snooze until it's WAY too late. That in itself is a huge gift!

I hope you're all feeling some positive effects, and are doing well in all the other parts of your life. I send a photo of my little yoga room for inspiration!

xo maryMary

IMG_0353.JPG

Hi All,

Last night my son came home to watch game 7 with my husband and me (we are all Yankee fans, boo hoo they lost). We decided to order take-out, and I decided I wasn't going to prepare a compliant meal for myself.  So I am officially done.  Its been 30+20 days! 

I know I need to stay as close to W30 as possible, so I am back in my Sunday W30 prep mode today.  I suppose I could start a new W30, but its not about 30 days as much as it is about feeling much better when I follow the W30 template. 

So I plan to stick around here for the rest of the  month! 

@Mary, Elsie's mon I love your space! I hope you feel better very soon. 

@Betsie_n It is sad to see people you love in poor health and unwilling or unable to make changes. We can keep talking to them, but we all know they have to be willing to change.  

OK, back to the kitchen!  I have a piece of salmon marinating that needs to go on the grill.  Loving the warmer weather and extended grilling season here in the northeast!

@ShellyM - CONGRATULATIONS on getting through a Whole 50! That's quite amazing! Now that you have those habits and great tools, you will do great, even if you're not officially in W30 mode. 

@Mary, Elsie's mon - I hope your tummy bug has passed. So not fun! Your yoga room is simply adorable - what a peaceful spot and congratulations on your new pilates program. I've been trying to get more consistent with my new yoga practice and was able to get in 3 short sessions, but I really, really enjoy it. 

I'm on day 22 and have decided to extend to 11/15 for a Whole 45 because I want to continue working on some issues. 

@Mary, Elsie's mon - if you want some continued accountability, you are welcome to join another group I've been participating in here in the forum. Most started on 10/2 and there's a nice group of 4-5 women who are participating regularly so it's been a good community for me. We're over here if you want to join us: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/47426-first-whole-30-starting-102/?page=8

Have a great week, ladies! 

Betsie

Archived