Pork belly

JinTx

So many questions!!!

1) How big was the belly?

2) Did you cure or brine before hand?

3) How did it slice, compared to a raw one?

4) Are you going to brine or cure at all after?

5) DOES IT TASTE LIKE BACON?

:blink:

1. I started with five pounds of awesomeness.

2. No. I wanted to try to make it as simply as possible.

3. Crispy skin combined with unctuous fatty bits makes the cooked version challenging to slice though it should be easier tonight since it will be cold. Before cooking, would be easier.

4. No. Not this time. I plan to try curing some hog jowls some time.

5. It's porky, for sure but it doesn't have the salty smoky bacony taste.

Now you've gone and made me hungry. I am looking forward to frying up some of it tonight.

I think I love you Homer. I love jowls, it is a holiday tradition to have on the table for Christmas and New Years day for my family. I never thought about curing my own jowls though. Must go in search of jowls after Christmas, I just have way too much on my plate right now to worry about hunting it down. Next week though, I will start curing my next slab of pork belly, it will be ready the day before I travel to my parents. My Dad has a smoker.. I can't wait to try it after it's been smoked in a real smoker and not my make shift smoking. LOL

My first pork belly is in the oven right now, starting hour 2 of 3. My house smells SO GOOD! I'm using the Jamie Oliver recipe, or the cooking method anyway. I used different seasoning, and beef bone broth/coconut vinegar in place of wine. If its taste lives up to its smell...it's gonna be a good night!

• 2 weeks later...

Well..I hafta say, smoking pork belly does make a difference. It was so yummy.. not like commercial bacon but it is as close to the bacon flavor as you will get, I think. I traveled to GA for the holidays. I brought home hog jowls(local butcher by my parents), collards and mustard from my Dads garden and some eggs from my Moms chickens. YAY! Unfortunately I did not get any venison. :( My cousins husband hunted a few times while we were there but.. no luck.. I was sooooo hoping to bring some home.

My Dad and I are discussing raising our own cow and pig to butcher next year. My parents have over 20 acres of land, which should be sufficient for one cow and pig plus my Moms chickens. I haven't quite talked my Mom into raising chickens to butcher yet so for now eggs only.

Well..I hafta say, smoking pork belly does make a difference. It was so yummy.. not like commercial bacon but it is as close to the bacon flavor as you will get, I think. I traveled to GA for the holidays. I brought home hog jowls(local butcher by my parents), collards and mustard from my Dads garden and some eggs from my Moms chickens. YAY! Unfortunately I did not get any venison. My cousins husband hunted a few times while we were there but.. no luck.. I was sooooo hoping to bring some home.

My Dad and I are discussing raising our own cow and pig to butcher next year. My parents have over 20 acres of land, which should be sufficient for one cow and pig plus my Moms chickens. I haven't quite talked my Mom into raising chickens to butcher yet so for now eggs only.

You are such a lucky Florida duck! :)

I know this thread is about pork belly but I have been wondering, does anyone else here eat tripe? And yeah I am Susan! I just wished that I lived closer to my parents so I could actually be involved in the whole process of gardening and raising animals.

Oh, they all loved my mayo and bacon, they were impressed at my great feats of strength. :D

I know this thread is about pork belly but I have been wondering, does anyone else here eat tripe? And yeah I am Susan! I just wished that I lived closer to my parents so I could actually be involved in the whole process of gardening and raising animals.

Oh, they all loved my mayo and bacon, they were impressed at my great feats of strength.

Sharon, I am in San Diego with my mom and brother. I made everyone ghee for xmas and my mom and brother are both getting 7 dinners for their freezer from me. Whole30 or at least paleo. I am starting a personal chef biz when I get home so it's good practice. They have yet to try the fabulous homemade mayo. They adored the W30 Shepherds Pie that I made.

I think I may have a recipe for tripe in Portland that is from an awesome restaurant in Rhode Island.

Susan that is awesome, I didn't think about making ghee for gifts. Next time! Good luck with your personal chef biz, if you were closer we'd have to talk!

I always make some sort of food item to give as gifts. Ugh taking the thread over, we need a "general discussion" forum.

Lol. Just know when I start a thread, I love when it gets hijacked. Just puts me in the current thick of things like random conversations at a party. Hopefully the op feels the same. :)

Gaunciale!!!!!!!!!

Ok that's my next project as soon as I get home from Canada...... Man I'm freezing up here!!!!!

Fender! Where in the great white north are ya? Prairies? East Coast? West Coast? We are freezing our booties off here in MB but I live here year round (why? I don't know!)

Mjam.... I'm sitting in YYZ as we speak... Just spent a week with my wife's fam for Xmas.... Headed back to warm,sunny ft lauderdale, but don't hate.... Lol. I got to pull double shifts for the next month to make up for the time off.... I'm from NY originally, but I'm totally acclimatized to the warm weather.... I've been shivering ever since I got here......

Archived