Starting tomorrow, 9/25!

Brandi27

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

today is also my start day!  Our daughter is doing this with me; she has allergies and we want to see what we can do with her diet to figure it out without meds and stuff if we can.  I'm just looking for some more energy and in all honesty, to drop a few pounds.  47 now and the pounds don't drop as easily as they used to.  I can get the exercise portion down but definitely need to re-evaluate my food choices and this looks like a good start.  Best of luck!!!

Today is my start day as well! My husband and I are doing it together. I also have allergies and want to see if I can eliminate some of my meds, and my husband is going through some stomach issues that he would like to resolve. Weight loss would be another great benefit too! Good luck to everyone!

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, GinaM5 said:

Does anyone else have an aversion to veggies like I do? 

What vegetables do you like? What is it about the others you don't like? How have you prepared them in the past? Maybe people can suggest some you might like based on the ones you know you like, or can suggest recipes to address whatever it is you don't like.

For people who aren't big on vegetables, sometimes the way they're prepared can make a difference. Most are best roasted, it brings out the natural sweetness they have, and can also give you crunchy edges that may help with texture issues that many people have. This is a good recipe for roasted cauliflower:  http://meljoulwan.com/2011/01/11/cocoa-toasted-cauliflower/  (You may have to convert your oven temperature)

If you think you don't like cooked greens, try one of these recipes:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/01/12/eat-your-vegetables-kale-chard-beet-tops-and-more/

Basically, though, the way to necome someone who likes vegetables is to try new vegetables. Try them cooked different ways. Try them several times. There may still be some you don't care for, and that's okay, but I bet there'll be a lot you're okay with and even a few you really like after a while. 

My husband and I both started today too. First speedbump was lunch when I didn't realize my tuna contained soy so had to come up with something else quick and now I go to work at a restaurant which is hours of temptation. wish me luck and good luck to you as well

Hi all! 

Im so grateful to you all for sharing your stories - id love to join along if possible?

I posted a message in my log earlier to say I was starting today (basically just a morning commitment that I was going to do this as my inner voice was already making excuses!) and a moderator suggesting checking this out - so glad to see so many people starting today. (I also accidentally posted in the group started 9/18 so I'm hoping they see that as a sign of pure commitment!)

I tried whole30 once before and got to day 20 - it was bad timing as it was during the holidays so that really affected my ability to finish it through. I'm starting a little earlier this year and am really nervous - especially as I feel I failed last time.

Like many of you here, I have had some lingering health issues that I'm hoping to clear. But, my main problem is emotional eating where candy and chips is my bae!!! I could be doing ok with food, but then I get upset or worried or stressed and turn for Hershey's or Cadburys. While I know this, I still find it tough to change and that's why I feel committing to this group for 30 days will really help.

I work long days and I know how important prep will be. I'm leaving work early now to stop by the store and load up on healthy veg, meat and some snacks.

My inner voice is already trying to convince me to start next week - I haven't prepped yet and it's been a while since I've read all the rules and the book. I've often started a whole30 and feel so bad in the first few days that I quit too easily - with my long work days, I find it hard to get through work while feeling so bad!! 

Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping that my sharing my story and committing again, that I'll get through DayOne and set up for success!

Sinead 

My Day 1 started off a bit rough. I planned on making the mayo this morning before work. Thinking it wouldn't be challenging at all. However, I used my immersion hand blender so long it got very hot and quit working on me. Apparently, I took the "go slow" part very seriously :>) On the flip side, my mayo was very creamy and beautiful. It tasted great with my chicken salad I made for lunch. 1/30th of the way! Good luck all!

I've just started my second time around. I have hashimotos and honestly eating this way was is the only way I have energy. I do remember how great I felt at the end of my last round and want to get back to that feeling. I will be honest, there are some days that will be hard....but it can be done. Good luck!

• Moderators
12 hours ago, AnnBo said:

My Day 1 started off a bit rough. I planned on making the mayo this morning before work. Thinking it wouldn't be challenging at all. However, I used my immersion hand blender so long it got very hot and quit working on me. 

I hope the blender isn't completely dead, they're so useful. For future reference, making mayo with an immersion blender should only take 30-60 seconds. The going slow part mostly refers to other blending methods where you need to drizzle the oil slowly as you blend to make it emulsify, but with immersion blenders there's no drizzling at all.

Instructions here If anyone hasn't yet tried making their own mayo this way:  http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

15 hours ago, AnnBo said:

However, I used my immersion hand blender so long it got very hot and quit working on me. 

I did that before while making soup.  This wasn't the Cuisinart model you usually see recommended, rather a "brand X" model I've had for years.  Worried I broke it, but after it "cooled down" (apparently) it started working properly again.  Although, I haven't used it to make soup since! :lol:  Just do it for mayo, which, as @ShannonM816 mentions, only needs to take 30 seconds or so.

Well.  Day 2 was not terrible.  Coconut milk in the coffee wasn't bad.  Planning is definitely the key and next week I will need to plan more specifically.  I have food on hand to make and have prepped some eggs and veggies ahead, but I feel like I'm  just kind of winging it on the whole.  

2 down.  :-)

@tracyE Thanks great! Congrats!

Day 2 for me wasn't bad either... as you said, food prep is so important. I was working from home and so tempted to snack and munch all day - but I knew what I had prepared for lunch and dinner and that kept me on track.

Really craving some sugar today... but know that it's just my body adjusting. 

Hey guys!  A few of my friends started on 9/25 and we made a Facebook group.  https://www.facebook.com/whole30at40ish/ It's nothing official, but we just chat some and post pics of what we're eating.  

Hope it's going well for y'all.  I've jumped on the La Croix train.  I was a mad dt mtn dew addict with the addiction of a fun mixer at night.  Lots of habits to kick here.  Good times!

hi @Stumbo would you mind if I joined the facebook group?! I'm going to continue to post here as some of the threads are really keeping me motivated... but the more support, the better especially over the next few days. 

I've felt so nauseous all day.. it must be my body getting rid of some junk and toxins, but i really haven't felt hungry at all or even interested in food. Normally I would have just grazed on sugar and crap all day - but I made myself eat three proper meals. Hopefully this feeling passes, as it's really not nice. Anyone feeling the same?

3 minutes ago, Stumbo said:

@SineadMon please do join us.  It's open to whomever, very informal.  I haven't felt too terrible, but I've choked down the black coffee and unsweet tea.  We've got several cooks in our family so that has been helpful.

You'll get used to plain tea and coffee. I used to put sugar in my tea, and eventually I just stopped doing it (long before this diet.) It's bitter at first but your brain adapts because the caffeine is worth it. 

Hi all, 

It's day 4 for me and I feel fantabulous! It's a bank holiday where I live, so I have today and tomorrow off work. 

Got up early, had 1 hard boiled egg and coffee with a tea spoon of coconut oil, ran my 14k in the park.

Back home made my spinach and egg omelette, then started cooking pumpkin soup and chicken cacciatore for lunch. I'm on a roll. :D  It's going to be a great day.

Take care ya'll! 

Cheers. :)

Archived