New Mom, New Way of Eating

beccaxsos

Today is the day we start the Whole 30. Saturday I shopped (I was pretty surprised how high the bill was for all those veggies and definitely need to find some economical alternatives to tuna that is almost 2 bucks a can!) for M-W as we have limited room in the fridge until we get into our new house. Sunday I prepped. It took me several hours! I learned it's probably a good idea to keep some hard boiled eggs on hand for protein salad. I plan to freeze a ton of prep in the future in order to save time, even doing a double-batch and freezing one would be super helpful! My other half got a bit frazzled watching our four-month-old while I was doing all the cooking, but it was worth it and I finally finished up. There was a literally small mountain of dishes heaped on the dish drainer.  Fast forward to last night when I started watching W30 videos on youtube for inspiration. I definitely felt a bit apprehensive at restricting my diet, but I'm no stranger to trying things (like when I went vegan for 8 months) and I really am curious as to what the reset could do to my body. There are a lot of allergies in my family as far as food goes, and I feel like it would be good to see if any of these things are causing issues that I may just think is normal at this point. I also think it would be great for the baby to grow up in a household that eats less processed foods. 

We are following the sample plan this week to get acclimatized and have to think a little bit less. I should probably start thinking about next week's menu at this point. I'm feeling pretty hungry right now so I don't really want to look at food! I am breastfeeding and usually used to eating snacks when I pump at work, 4x a day, and I'm not sure what I should do as far as that's concerned. The egg frittata was good! I never eat eggs without cheese and it was nice to enjoy them and know I don't really need to add more. I ate breakfast at 6am. I got into work at 9 and had an apple as I was already starving (haha). Now it's almost noon and I'm starving, but I can't tell if it's just my mind playing tricks on me/what I'm used to or if I'm really hungry! I'm trying to hold off until 1pm to eat my protein salad and grapes. 

Can't wait to read more about people's success stories and make some buddies who are going through this the same time as me :) 

• Moderators

Mostly we say people should be able to go 4-5 hours between meals, so if you are breakfast around 6, it would be normal to be hungry around 10 or 11.

Also, as a nursing mom, you'll want four full meals a day -- if you wanted, you could divide one of those into a couple of mini meals. You definitely want to be sure you're drinking plenty of water. 1/2 oz per pound of body weight is the usual recommendation for most people, and nursing mom's may need more. Don't be afraid of fat, either -- you may want to snack on olives or avocado or sip canned full fat coconut milk throughout the day for extra fat.

Archived