A friend needs help

mjcaron

Hi all, I'm on my second round and have attracted a few friends to do the Whole30 with me.  One friend in particular wants to get really healthy.  She bought the Whole30 program, read the book, is cooking like a fiend and loves it.   Her goal (and I know Whole30 isn't technically a weight loss program) is to loose 100 pounds.  She needs guideance as she is reaching her 30th day tomorrow. She reached out to me to ask how she can go about staying mostly on Whole30 for a long time, until she reaches her goal.  I have strongly suggested that she read Food Freedom and she will.  I just wanted to ask if there are any other suggestions out there.   I also suggested that she complete the reintro the long way.  After that, she would indulge when it's really worth it to her.  Other than that I'm not sure of what else to tell her.  Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have!  Melissa

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mjcaron said:

Hi all, I'm on my second round and have attracted a few friends to do the Whole30 with me.  One friend in particular wants to get really healthy.  She bought the Whole30 program, read the book, is cooking like a fiend and loves it.   Her goal (and I know Whole30 isn't technically a weight loss program) is to loose 100 pounds.  She needs guideance as she is reaching her 30th day tomorrow. She reached out to me to ask how she can go about staying mostly on Whole30 for a long time, until she reaches her goal.  I have strongly suggested that she read Food Freedom and she will.  I just wanted to ask if there are any other suggestions out there.   I also suggested that she complete the reintro the long way.  After that, she would indulge when it's really worth it to her.  Other than that I'm not sure of what else to tell her.  Thanks for any tips or suggestions you may have!  Melissa

Honestly, you've already given her the advice I would have given... do the reintroductions (slow roll sounds like it will work) and then make a food freedom plan for herself that fits her goals.  In general, people who are significantly overweight WILL lose weight (eventually) on this plan because feeding ones body whole foods in proper quantities consistently is going to reset hormones, make the body comfortable and it also cuts out the junk that gets us into those situations in the first place.  That said, it is not sustainable to continue on 'forever' - I would suspect that your friend has some version of an eating disorder or emotional eating or something that caused the gain over time and that does need to be addressed.  Sticking to someone else's (Whole30) rules does not address it and does not give the coping tools needed for when the person is on their own bike.  I get that it's scary because this 'works' and who DOESN"T want to lose weight but I can tell you that if she sticks with this without finding her own way, it's usually not sustainable... this isn't a diet, it's a tool and it needs to be used in the way it was meant to which is to teach, educate and then be there to catch us when we tip over on our own bikes... :)

Archived