Nothing to drink

cdeerinck

On the diet side, I'm not having any issues.  It isn't easy, but it isn't hard.  I like thinking about everything before I put it in my mouth.  It really has changed my perception.  I'm currently 9 days in.  This post is just about drinks.

Like the Whole30, I have "rules" about stuff I don't like, and no amount of willpower will make me like it.  On the plus side, I don't drink alcohol ever, no wine, no beer.  Never liked it, never will.  I also don't like coffee or tea (or any sort). I also never liked soda water or mineral water. I used to drink sodas but gave them up.  First I went to diet drinks, but the carbonation still got me, so I switched to Minute Maid Light Lemonade.  It has about 5 calories, almost no carbonation, so I was ok with it.  After a year of that, if I tried to take a sip of a soda, the overly sweet taste was a huge negative.

So, pre Whole30, that left me with the following choices: Water, Milk, OJ, or Lemonade.  But with Whole30 rules, that leaves me with just water.  Because the lemonade has Aspartame, modified cornstarch, and HFCS.  So it's a goner.

Now, I hear some of you thinking "La Croix"!  I tried it, and hate it just like soda water.  It tastes bitter to me.  Cucumber or Coconut Water?  Nope, yuk.

I understand I'm not going to find anything sweet, but is there anything other than plain water or things that aren't bitter?  

Does anybody know of any magic potions?

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, cdeerinck said:

On the diet side, I'm not having any issues.  It isn't easy, but it isn't hard.  I like thinking about everything before I put it in my mouth.  It really has changed my perception.  I'm currently 9 days in.  This post is just about drinks.

Like the Whole30, I have "rules" about stuff I don't like, and no amount of willpower will make me like it.  On the plus side, I don't drink alcohol ever, no wine, no beer.  Never liked it, never will.  I also don't like coffee or tea (or any sort). I also never liked soda water or mineral water. I used to drink sodas but gave them up.  First I went to diet drinks, but the carbonation still got me, so I switched to Minute Maid Light Lemonade.  It has about 5 calories, almost no carbonation, so I was ok with it.  After a year of that, if I tried to take a sip of a soda, the overly sweet taste was a huge negative.

So, pre Whole30, that left me with the following choices: Water, Milk, OJ, or Lemonade.  But with Whole30 rules, that leaves me with just water.  Because the lemonade has Aspartame, modified cornstarch, and HFCS.  So it's a goner.

Now, I hear some of you thinking "La Croix"!  I tried it, and hate it just like soda water.  It tastes bitter to me.  Cucumber or Coconut Water?  Nope, yuk.

I understand I'm not going to find anything sweet, but is there anything other than plain water or things that aren't bitter?  

Does anybody know of any magic potions?

You may want to google Whole30 + the topic because this actually has been discussed quite a bit on here.  I"ll get you started tho and suggest that you use fruit or veggies to 'infuse' your water.  If you can find a compliant juice that you might like (like OJ), you can use a splash to flavor your water... apple juice is extremely sweet so that might work... but it's a splash to flavor, like around 5-10% juice max to water.

Archived