Breakthrough heartburn/reflux

Hi guys! I am seven days into this after having jumped in headfirst and, admittedly, a bit unprepared. Nonetheless, I have been feeling great and I am loving the difference.

I'll admit that I haven't read the complete ISWF book, so I'm hoping you'll forgive me if this question has already been addressed somewhere.

I am 34 and have been on acid reflux medication for something like 12 years, the last 7 of which I've been on omeprazole (generic Prilosec). I rarely have breakthrough symptoms - maybe a couple times a year - so I've felt like the omeprazole has addressed by problems. I had an endoscopy performed something like 8 years ago that only found a small hiatal hernia, which bascially meant it wasn't a big enough deal for the doctor to even bother dealing with.

I have not stopped taking my omeprazole during my Whole30. For the past couple of days I have been feeling a lot of breakthrough indigestion/reflux, especially in the evenings. I have had similar trouble in the past when I have gone on a diet that calls for lots of salads, so I don't know if it's the fact that I'm eating more roughage that is harder to break down, or what. Is this something that I can expect to diminish? I read that others suggested taking digestive enzymes in an effort to get off the reflux medications, so I'll try that this week, and I'll plan to see my doctor as well. Does anyone have any experience dealing with reflux and indigestion during Whole30 in spite of being medicated? I'd really appreciate your input!! Thanks!!

Michelle -

In all likelihood, your body is simply adjusting your acid levels to accommodate your new food choices. Most folks find that this goes away by the end of the second week, but digestive enzymes can definitely help in the meantime. Something else to consider (and maybe talk through with your doc) is that Prilosec will reduce your overall acid level, which makes it harder to digest your food, which could lead to more heartburn and other digestive discomforts.

While you're mulling all this over, make sure your veg are well cooked, chew thoroughly and don't drink a lot of liquid with your meals. That will help as well.

Welcome!

Thanks guys. Maybe you are right about the raw veggies. My salad for lunch yesterday (my only option for a quick lunch) flared up the indigestion again. I did get some digestive enzymes though, and the cooked veggies I had at dinner didn't seem to give me any trouble. Also made an appointment with my doctor for after Thanksgiving. Thank you!!

• 4 years later...

I know this thread is over 4 years old but I'm having the same issue as Michelle so I thought I'd reply and ask what happened after week 1.

Did the reflux get better in week 2, 3, or 4?

Did the Whole30 get you off Omeprazole eventually?

I know it's been a long time but please reply if you get this.  Thanks!!!

Hey @clayelliott - as you said this is an old thread and Michelle hasn't been on the forums since 2013 so I'm not sure that she'll reply.

Are you having increased flare ups of reflux? Or are you just looking for some motivational words? We have definitely had people come off of reflux meds, but some times it takes a little trial and error as certain (compliant) foods can exasperate the situation.

If you are looking for some help with trouble-shooting please feel free to post a few days worth of your food intake and we can take a look.

Archived