almond milk, almond butter

Tonya Farley Wagner

• Moderators

You can have both, but no one has ever seen commercially available almond milk that did not have nasty ingredients that make it a no-no during a Whole30 (and a bad idea generally). You basically need to make your own almond milk. Some almond butters are okay, just check the ingredients.

For the record, nuts aren't really chock full of "good fats." They're very high in omega 6 fats, which are pro-inflammatory. That's one of the big reasons why we ask you to limit them and not go crazy snacking on 'em. Just watch your intake. Often times, nut butters increase your intake of nuts without fully realizing it.

What you want to avoid is the carageenan! I bought a carton of Almond Breeze only to discover like 5 minutes after I bought it that carageenan is a no-no ingredient on the Whole30. Canned coconut milk is usually your safest bet for a milk substitute that doesn't have nasty ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently preparing for my first Whole30, going through my fridge and weeding things out. The almond milk I have doesn't appear to have any of the ingredients to look for, but still has un-foodlike sounding words. I'm guessing it doesn't work, but I thought I'd check before throwing it out.

Here are the ingredients:

All Natural Almondmilk, Calcium Carbonate, sea salt, locust bean gum, sunflower lecithin, gellan gum, natural flavor, vaitamin E acetate, Zinc gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, riboflavon, vitamin b12, vitamin D2.

Most of that list are creepy no-gos....Any almond milk (and coconut milk) in a box is a no-go. The only compliant almond milk is the stuff you make yourself. Canned coconut milk is the only pre-made compliant coconut milk and even then some people have issues with the guar gum in some of them (I don't touch the stuff personally). Things with ingredient lists that are rather long typically aren't compliant.

I'm currently preparing for my first Whole30, going through my fridge and weeding things out. The almond milk I have doesn't appear to have any of the ingredients to look for, but still has un-foodlike sounding words. I'm guessing it doesn't work, but I thought I'd check before throwing it out.

Here are the ingredients:

All Natural Almondmilk, Calcium Carbonate, sea salt, locust bean gum, sunflower lecithin, gellan gum, natural flavor, vaitamin E acetate, Zinc gluconate, vitamin A palmitate, riboflavon, vitamin b12, vitamin D2.

Here's the deal - this one falls into the "technically compliant but still not a great choice" category. We don't think it's a good idea to make this a regular part of your diet, but you could use it up rather than throwing it away.

The dates are, although I might caution you to be careful sweetening things that are not naturally so. Vanilla extract needs to be sugar AND alcohol free, which can be hard to find.

I use about a quarter of a vanilla bean instead of extract.

• 2 weeks later...

Am on Day 6! So far, so good. Well, except for some macadamia nuts that turned out to have canola oil. Of course, I noticed it AFTER I ate them. Blerg! Oh well, I'm doing a w60 anyway so I'm going to just continue.

Successes so far:

1. Survived boring teacher meetings where everyone was eating donuts and cake and flavored coffee. I brought some plaintain-coconut rooibus tea in a thermos and enjoyed that instead.

2. Am getting used to black coffee. If you grind your own, it's kinda like win where you can really taste the subtleties of the flavor.

3. Made some of those "meat muffins" from Well Fed to have on hand for a quick meal.

4. Learned to make my own sauerkraut! Probiotics without the dairy. :-)

5. Had date night with hubby where we went to see a movie, but did not eat anything. Made steaks when we got home. (Previously, date night always involved bad food or drink of some sort.)

The dates are, although I might caution you to be careful sweetening things that are not naturally so. Vanilla extract needs to be sugar AND alcohol free, which can be hard to find.

Over here in Switzerland, we can't get vanilla extract but we can get organic ground vanilla beans which give a nice vanilla flavor but don't have alcohol or sugar. This stuff on amazon looks the same in case anybody is having trouble getting quality vanilla.

• 3 years later...

You can have both, but no one has ever seen commercially available almond milk that did not have nasty ingredients that make it a no-no during a Whole30 (and a bad idea generally). You basically need to make your own almond milk. Some almond butters are okay, just check the ingredients.

Sorry if this is being dense...if I have almond butter and the ingredients don't list sugar but it says there are 2 g of sugar then it's not acceptable right? 

• Moderators

The ingredients are what matters on the Whole30. There will almost always be sugar in the nutritional label because most food has naturally occurring sugar. Just consult the ingredients. If they're clear and compliant, then you're good to go.

Since I don't eat cereals, I don't need milk, and I've drunk my coffee black for 30 years! No need for almond milk, so

I can't address this one.

Almond butter is easy to make if you have a food processor. Lightly roast unsalted, natural almonds in a 350F oven on a baking sheet for about ten minutes or until aromatic. Watch carefully so they don't overgrown. Cool to room temperature.

Place in food processor. Do not overfill! Turn on. It will be NOISY for about 15-30 seconds. Run processor continually until you get a clump. Keep going. Suddenly, like magic, you will have a nice "butter." You can add salt or not. There are some good videos on line that show the various stages and textures quite well.

I find that a Tbl of this takes care of my afternoon munchies. I eat it straight, but you could put it on celery or an apple if you want/need the crunch.

• Moderators

I find that a Tbl of this takes care of my afternoon munchies. I eat it straight, but you could put it on celery or an apple if you want/need the crunch.

This is actually not recommended.  If you are legitimately hungry enough to eat something like steamed fish and broccoli, then we would want you to eat a mini meal of protein and fat or veggies and protein (or ideally all three), not fruit and nuts/nut butter.  If you are not hungry enough to eat the fish and veg, then you're not really hungry and those afternoon 'munchies' need to be ignored... often it's a habit, not a need.

• 1 year later...

Hi all! I'm on day 4 of the whole 30 and my husband is a huge peanut butter fan and I don't want to beat a dead horse but the Trader Joe's raw almond butter is compliant right? It's literally just almonds no salt added. And if i bought the one with salt in it would that be non-compliant? 

Archived