Day 25 feels like day 1

donewdiets

Hello everyone!  I'm a newbie and have been browsing previous posts to see if I can figure out my problem.  This is my first whole30 and I've been very proud of myself to make it this far.  I haven't "cheated" once (and have navigated 2 birthday parties and a buffet!) and can recognize some NSVs so far or at least I could in the beginning.  The last few days have really felt turned around for me.  I initially had a headache for less than 2 days and then it was gone.  I really haven't craved much and have been full at every meal.  However, since this past weekend, I'm now completely exhausted every day, hungry more often than not, foggy overall (and forgetful, crazy moody, and just plain dumb!) and I'm not sure what is up.  I've been chalking it up to my monthly hormones and based on reading previous posts, that could be it - seems like at least initially women's periods were not what they were used to before starting whole30.  Should we be eating anything differently during that week or more than what we've been eating?  I have only snacked twice since starting until this week!  I think my meals follow the template pretty well.  I refer to the portion sizes alot.  This is what I've eaten the last few days:

Everyday - M1 http://sassysouthernyankee.com/2015/09/blt-quiche-with-potato-crust-low-carb-and-whole-30-approved/  I load this up with mushrooms too, cut it into 4 and eat it daily with strawberries 

Mon: M2 - large green salad (2-3 c) w/cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, avocado, grilled chicken, dressing (balsamic vinegar & 1 tsp EVOO), grapes (I bought this salad and there was not enough chicken or avocado - I try hard not to eat out at all)
Mon: M3 - tuna w/homemade whole30 mayo wrapped in romaine leaves, raw veggies (carrots, cukes, tomatoes)

Tues: M2 -  tuna w/homemade whole30 mayo wrapped in romaine leaves, raw veggies (carrots, cukes, tomatoes), pineapple
Tues M2b: RxBar (stuck in traffic)
Tues: M3 - turkey breast, mashed potatoes & cauliflower (w/chicken broth & ghee), half a plate of roasted veggies w/olive oil & whole30 red pepper dip

Wed: M2 - tuna w/homemade whole30 mayo wrapped in romaine leaves, raw veggies (carrots, cukes, tomatoes), pineapple
Wed: M3 - shrimp (sauteed in olive oil & garlic), half a plate of roasted veggies w/olive oil & whole30 red pepper dip, sweet potato "fries" baked in olive oil
Wed: M4 - almond butter & small apple (I was not hungry but ate anyway :( )

Thur: M2 - large green salad (2-3 c) w/cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 5 black olives, grilled chicken, dressing (balsamic vinegar & 1 tsp EVOO), grapes

Some questions I have:

1. Am I getting enough fat?

2. Working out: The first 2 weeks I didn't work out at all.  The last 10 days I have been.  I have not added a pre or post workout meal.  I just never considered MY workouts to need extra fuel.  I'm not a hard core athlete - can barely get through 25-30 minutes of a beachbody dance routine.  Should I?  If so should I eat both pre and post?  Seems like too much for my mild workouts.  I don't feel like I've lost any weight so after decades of dieting it is hard for me to comprehend eating more.  :) 

A few more points:  I get 7-7.5 hours of sleep every night but am waking up tired and spend all day dragging this week.  I don't have time to eat within one hour of getting up (I exercise, shower, go to work, then eat breakfast (which is about 2.5-3 hours after waking).  I drink at least 60oz of water per day, sometimes a bit more.  A couple times a week I will drink 1/2 of a bottle of Synergy komubcha after dinner.

Thank you for any input you can provide!

Many women find that their need for food increases in the week leading up to their period so it could well just be that you need more fuel.

There is a definite need for starchy carbs at this time so you might want to focus there to start with.

Fat wise you don't look too bad to me but it never does in harm to add a little more especially when you mention brain fog. I'd also increase your protein due to your activity levels meaning you could probably forgo the postWO - I don't think the preWO will be necessary unless you're really exerting yourself or if you train first thing in the morning.

How about water? HOw much are you drinking daily? Are you salting your food?

Archived