Is it really that difficult?


GLasBro

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, GLasBro said:

Is it really be that difficult? Thinking about starting October 1st. Maybe people just like commiserating, but sheesh, you can still have In n Out and Chipotle! Suppose I'll answer my own question in a week or two. 

Honestly I think it depends a lot on your perspective and how convenient you want it to be for yourself. It's a lot easier now than a few years ago with a lot of whole30approved products and meal planning/delivery service. But, I don't think it's so easy to be dismissive of the challenges people face. Lots of people who try the whole30 are coming from a really bad dieting place, and changing YEARS of engrained habits and your emotional relationship to food IS hard.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is, like, one thing you can order at In n Out and one thing you can order at Chipotle. Doesn't really scream to me that there are so many options for eating out at those places...

Folks in a forum such as this also are primarily coming here when they need help, so it's going to be a lot of questions and struggles. Sure, there's a fair amount of tough love from some members and the mods (especially re: pancakes) but most of the time it's just people trying to do the best they can and preferring to double check instead of accidentally screwing up and starting over. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
18 hours ago, GLasBro said:

Is it really be that difficult? Thinking about starting October 1st. Maybe people just like commiserating, but sheesh, you can still have In n Out and Chipotle! Suppose I'll answer my own question in a week or two. 

Also, that's super great for you if you live somewhere that has these restaurants. Our participants are not all American and even if they were, they are not always from larger cities that have these restaurants.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

So I met kirkor (who posts here a fair amount) in person today, and we were talking about this very topic.  We both agreed that it is as hard as your brain makes it.  Now, for the record, neither of us have any eating disorder or severe emotional issues regarding food - so I don't really know what that would be like.  (I do have issues with alcohol, and people have said things like "just set a limit for yourself" - gee thanks, never thought of that :eye roll: - so I do have empathy for those for whom it truly is a struggle.)   But for a so-called "normal" eater, it is not that hard.  kirkor has done some themed whole 30's, including a mono-meal one where all he ate for 30 days was ground beef, zucchini, and coconut oil. (I shudder at the idea, but there are plenty of time and brain-power saving shortcuts you can find.)

And is it worth it?  For me, the answer is a resounding HELL YES!  I lost 45 lbs without limiting portion sizes or increasing exercise; I went from pre-diabetic (and my doctor e-mailing me personally telling me I needed to do something about it) to completely normal blood sugar; I decreased my blood pressure while getting off of medication for it; my triglycerides dropped from 3x normal to normal; and my taste buds have changed to where I truly enjoy eating a plate full of meat and vegetables - and I have NEVER liked vegetables before.

Good luck to all embarking on a whole 30 journey...

kirkor's monomeal thread: 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Jim4884 said:

So I met kirkor (who posts here a fair amount) in person today, and we were talking about this very topic.  We both agreed that it is as hard as your brain makes it.  Now, for the record, neither of us have any eating disorder or severe emotional issues regarding food - so I don't really know what that would be like.  (I do have issues with alcohol, and people have said things like "just set a limit for yourself" - gee thanks, never thought of that :eye roll: - so I do have empathy for those for whom it truly is a struggle.)   But for a so-called "normal" eater, it is not that hard.  kirkor has done some themed whole 30's, including a mono-meal one where all he ate for 30 days was ground beef, zucchini, and coconut oil. (I shudder at the idea, but there are plenty of time and brain-power saving shortcuts you can find.)

And is it worth it?  For me, the answer is a resounding HELL YES!  I lost 45 lbs without limiting portion sizes or increasing exercise; I went from pre-diabetic (and my doctor e-mailing me personally telling me I needed to do something about it) to completely normal blood sugar; I decreased my blood pressure while getting off of medication for it; my triglycerides dropped from 3x normal to normal; and my taste buds have changed to where I truly enjoy eating a plate full of meat and vegetables - and I have NEVER liked vegetables before.

Good luck to all embarking on a whole 30 journey...

kirkor's monomeal thread: 

 

@kirkor looks like you've got a fan!  Would you ever do mono meal again?  We need to drum up a new theme for a Whole30 for you for 2018!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also think it depends on how often you cooked before whole30. Thats the hardest part for me.  I do NOT enjoy cooking at all... and would use a lot of fast food/convenience foods before.  So while I love the foods I eat now, the hard part for me is food prep.  If I didnt have to do that,  it would be MUCH easier. LOL 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

@kirkor looks like you've got a fan!  Would you ever do mono meal again?  We need to drum up a new theme for a Whole30 for you for 2018!!

Hmm maybe "taking requests" could be a good start of a theme.  Or would it turn in to a dare? :blink:

But ya, monomeal would be fine again, but as I hope people reading through my various theme threads discover (see signature below), they're about more than just the spectacle of being different. So in that sense I dunno if there would be additional value in repeating the monomeal run.

I could do something like "no repeated meals" as a swing ti the opposite extreme.  But dang, that might very well validate the complaints of too much time/expense/dishes/etc ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
17 hours ago, kirkor said:

Hmm maybe "taking requests" could be a good start of a theme.  Or would it turn in to a dare? :blink:

But ya, monomeal would be fine again, but as I hope people reading through my various theme threads discover (see signature below), they're about more than just the spectacle of being different. So in that sense I dunno if there would be additional value in repeating the monomeal run.

I could do something like "no repeated meals" as a swing ti the opposite extreme.  But dang, that might very well validate the complaints of too much time/expense/dishes/etc ;)

What if you did limited tools. One knife, one fry pan, one pot. For those who feel that they have to outfit their whole kitchen first?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

What if you did limited tools. One knife, one fry pan, one pot. For those who feel that they have to outfit their whole kitchen first?

I think that sounds pretty brilliant, but I propose a sheet pan is added because they're fairly cheap and roasted foods are delicious!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm six days in on W30, and except for day 4 - low blood sugar - it has not been hard for me (with respect to those who find it a challenge).  For me, getting back into the habit of making my own meals and being creative in the kitchen again is a pleasure.  

Years ago, I quit alcohol cold turkey.  I went for three years without wine and 6.5 years without beer.  I had my own motivations and it got easier after the first week.  My mantra then was "I can have alcohol any time I want, just not today"

Quote

"Is it really that difficult?"

Instead of wondering if you can survive 30 days, challenge yourself to do your best today!  One day at a time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.