Hope to start a full Whole30 in October

CecileC

Hallooo! I'm Cecile (pronounced si-SEE-ul) and I'm sorta new. Well, new to the forum. I'm in my mid 60s. I'd been seeing stuff on Pintrest about Whole30 for quite a while before deciding to check it out.

Like I said, I'm in my mid 60s. My mom was a big proponent of nutrition and a healthy lifestyle most of life, so that, naturally, rubbed off on me. Though as knowledgeable as I was, and still am, my diet didn't show it. I have always had an insatiable sweet tooth and love to bake. Back when I drank coffee it would be more like coffee syrup because of all the sugar I put in it to make it pallitable. I've since stopped drinking coffee because it would make my stomach upset and I'd get diarrhea. I now tell people I'm allergic to coffee. Though now I'm thinking it was all the sugar that gave me problems. But, as a result of all the mostly unhealthy eating I was doing, I ended up weighing over 425 lbs. I don't know how much over because it was difficult to find a doctor's scale that went over 350. If it weren't for my fiancé's doctor's office and their digital scale I would never have known how high my weight had gotten.

Fourteen years ago I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee and have been wanting to get a knee replacement, but because of my weight no orthopedist would do it. In fact I had one tell me that I was a malpractice lawsuit waiting to happen. Needless to say I never saw him again. But it's been a struggle. At least now my orthopedist says he'll consider it if I lose weight and get my BMI down closer to 40%.

Then, about 6 years ago, I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I started paying more attention to what I was eating an tried to get more exercise by walking, but the arthritis made it difficult. I tried to use My Fitness Pal, but it got to be a pain inputting all the ingredients of what I was eating. Though I have to say that the reprogrammed foods from chain restaurants was eye-opening as to the number of calories in them. I did drop some pounds and managed to get to around 380.

In June of last year I got a Fitbit to help motivate me to move more, which helped a lot. And then about a year ago I finally looked into Whole30. Wow! I printed out all the informational PDFs and showed it to my Primary Care Practitioner. She looked it over and gave me the green light.

I haven't been able to do a complete month because of family concerns and budget issues, but I have managed to do a couple of Whole7s and I have noticed a differences in how my body feels and reacts when I eat anything I couldn't eat on Whole30. And the large drops of weight has been a bonus. Since January I've dropped another 30+ pounds, so overall I've dropped 63 pounds.

I hope to be able to do a full Whole30 in October, fingers crossed.

Anyway, Thanks for listening.

I agree with the crock pot meals. You can get cheaper cuts of meat and the crock pot makes it taste amazing. Honestly, after the initial spend to stock my pantry, I haven't seen that much of an increase. I'm really lucky though, we have a lot of farmer's markets and competition with the supermarkets. I have a Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and New seasons within about a 10 mile radius. And a Safeway, Winco, Fred Meyer, and Walmart. I will get the ads and mark what I want, make a list, and map out a trip, including a farmers market Saturday early morning. Sunday I will make a couple of meals in the crock pot and I'm mostly set all week. I been doing that since my first Whole 30 in March, and I eat mostly Whole 30, but my weakness is bread.

Good Luck!!! And great work so far!!! You have something to be proud of! :)

Hello!  I am hoping to start for October.  I am hoping just one day of planning and grocery shopping is enough.  I've been doing Weight Watchers.  I am very interested in the reset of Whole30.  I have issues with inflammation and gut issues as well as a definite sugar addiction.  Hoping to get some answers.  I am in pretty good health overall but want to do a fitness regimen at the same time.  I am an emotional eater who can consume great quantities.  With three teenagers I have control issues.  I know I can only control me and my actions and reactions.  Hoping this is really good for me (and my family)!

1 hour ago, Susan Isham said:

Hello!  I am hoping to start for October.  I am hoping just one day of planning and grocery shopping is enough.  

With three teenagers you probably already have meal planning and organization down.  It's only my companion and myself at my house.  My fridge is old and small and never seems to hold enough fresh greens and veggies to last the whole week.  And if I do try to stock it for the week, there is no room for leftovers or make-ahead meals.

I have had to accept that I am going to have to shop twice a week.  One trip for half the veggies, pantry staples and everything else, one trip to replenish the fridge.  Erksome to say the least but it works for me.

I am about to do my Saturday grocery run.  Not my favorite part of the week.  But I guess it's still the easier part of the prep work. 

Buy fruit wash fruit store fruit.  Buy veggies wash veggies peel/slice/dice store veggies.  Make Sunshine Sauce, Balsamic Vinaigrette and a lemon/oil dressing.

I still can't get enough of this https://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/20/sweet-and-savory-blueberry-omelet/  made with 3 eggs and with a handful of baby spinach thrown in for good measure, and 1-2 slices of bacon.  Lunch this week will be Egg Roll in a Bowl drizzled with Sunshine Sauce.

I've got four dinners planned that will have enough for some nights of leftovers.  Think I'm good to go...

Archived