Coconut Oil: Virgin vs. Triple Filter

marebear

Hi all, getting ready to start my first whole30 tomorrow! Today at Trader Joe's I noticed two types of coconut oil: virgin and triple filter. Does anyone know what the difference is between them? I've never used coconut oil before, and I'm having trouble finding a clear answer online. 

• Moderators

I don't usually shop at Trader Joe's, so I can't speak to their particular brand, but I think the triple filtered one is probably a refined oil -- I'm assuming it's still solid in a jar like the virgin coconut oil, right? If that's the case, you can use either. Virgin coconut oil has a definite coconut smell and some people do not like the taste, although I personally have used to cook everything from roasted vegetables to scrambled eggs and haven't been bothered by it. The refined/filtered coconut oil won't have the same smell or taste to it, so if you don't like coconut, it would be the better option for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2017 at 1:51 AM, ShannonM816 said:

I don't usually shop at Trader Joe's, so I can't speak to their particular brand, but I think the triple filtered one is probably a refined oil -- I'm assuming it's still solid in a jar like the virgin coconut oil, right? If that's the case, you can use either. Virgin coconut oil has a definite coconut smell and some people do not like the taste, although I personally have used to cook everything from roasted vegetables to scrambled eggs and haven't been bothered by it. The refined/filtered coconut oil won't have the same smell or taste to it, so if you don't like coconut, it would be the better option for you. 

Thank you!

Archived