First Whole 30- Starting 10/2!

LEB717

Hi, everyone!

I'm prepped to start my Whole 30 tomorrow. I'm definitely motivated for this upcoming month, but nervous for the challenges that lie in store. My main motivations are to lose weight, improve my health (including several chronic conditions that may or may not be impacted by diet), and hopefully improve my energy level. I'm mostly nervous about withstanding cravings for sweets, feeling full (I get hypoglycemic crashes easily), making my chronic headaches worse, even temporarily, and finding compliant food to eat during an out of town wedding this month. But with planning, I think most of these challenges can hopefully be managed!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m with you LEB717!  First Whole30 starting today!  I’m prepped and ready.  I’m looking to increase energy, repair my digestive tract and understand how and what foods impact my body.  It wouldn’t hurt to lose some lbs also!  Best wishes for a great first day!!

I am also starting today! I've been in a weight loss plateau for over a year and have actually gained about 10+ lbs back. I struggle big time with nutrition and having  a few drinks during the week. So i'm looking to getting my nutrition in line, kicking the sugar cravings and also going strong for 30 days without a single drop of alcohol. Good luck to everyone!

Good morning!  First Whole 30 started today.  Looking forward to being healthier, feeling great and able to play with our special needs son without huffing and puffing!  He is a big boy.  I'm not a big sugar tooth, but man do I love carbs.  I look forward to hearing your stories and being a part of this Whole30 group!  Good luck guys - we've got this!

Starting my first Whole 30 today also. My motivations are to feel healthier, have more energy, get rid of some digestive issues, and hopefully drop a few pounds also. I am already researching where and what to eat when we go on vacation at the end of the month.

Hi everyone,

This is W30 #4 (I think?), but it's been almost two years since the last one and I definitely need to reset and refocus. My biggest struggles are the nightly glass of wine (or three) and just generally being lazy about meal prep. I'd love to see some weight loss, as well as better energy, sleep and generally feeling better. These groups have always been so helpful in the past, so I'm looking forward to going through this journey together. 

Hi everyone! I'm starting today, also so thought I'd join this group. I'm 48 years old and this is my 3rd or 4th annual W30, which I usually do it in July, but things weren't optimal for W30 life during the last couple of months, so I'm going with October. I have been living the Paleo lifestyle for about 4 years with great results, but I feel like doing an annual W30 helps refocus me and reset my habits that tend to slip. I have definitely slipped lately and I'm not sure why - trying to sort that out this month.

In addition to the W30 basics, I have a couple of other goals this month: 

1. Drink 110 ounce of water/day

2. Eat more good fats!

3. Improve digestion by drinking some ACV with water before meals. 

4. Begin doing yoga. There's an app for that! :)

I'm working with nutritional therapist to fine-tune my health and nutritional goals and she suggested #1-3 and I added #4 to help me overall. 

Looking forward to this journey with everyone - I have found this forum to be so helpful during my previous rounds, so happy to see you all here! :)

Betsie

Day 1 for me also. Doing round 2 (2nd attempt) though. Took me 3 times to get R1 done the right way. I had been eating pretty clean but the past 3 weeks it's been nothing but junk. Gained 11 pounds, whole body aches, sleep sucks and I have zero energy. SO looking forward to better health!

Howdy!  My husband & I started today as well.  This is our 3rd W30.  Did the first 2 in the summer of 2015, with absolutely amazing results.  We had so much energy, were sleeping great, looking great, etc.  But best of all, I was able to get pregnant.  But then the morning sickness set in.  Then my husband lost his job, and we were living as expats in Australia, so we moved back home to Texas, and we were living with relatives for a few months, when I got put on bedrest...all that drama lead us right back to where we had been previously, so here we are again.  There are no more pregnancies in my future, so I'm looking forward to adopting W30 eating more as a way of life beyond just 30 days, but I need a system reset in a serious way.

Glad that this thread was started, it was so helpful previously to have others walking through this journey with me.  Looking forward to getting to know y'all!

Hope you guys don't mind if I join the group. I actually started on 9/27, as I wanted to be done before my first 5K on 10/28.

This is my second Whole30, I completed my first in June and it really helped change my life. I went from a sedentary lifestyle with not to great eating habits to working out on a regular basis and eating a healthy paleo diet.

I started slipping up a bit and following the advice in Food, Freedom, Forever I decided to do a reset.

I started today as well! First whole30 here. I am super motivated to start eating healthier, and am looking forward to having more consistent energy and feeling happier, in addition to breaking some unhealthy food-emotion relationships.  I am nervous about the obstacles that my busy schedule (med. student) may present, since this has been my number 1 excuse for eating poorly since I started school. However, I think that with a lot of planning I can overcome this. Good luck to everyone! 

Hi! Could I join this group? I'm starting tomorrow (10/3) and would like to be held accountable this time. I tried Whole30 last year and made it about 20 days. I felt great but I let one small slip up ruin it. I want to feel great again and I hope cutting out all the carbs/sugar will help with weight loss and some other issues I'm having. I'm a mom of 3 so life is a bit crazy. I was much more prepared last time, but I hope I can make this work. I want my energy back! 

My biggest issue is that I'm not a huge fan of protein. I'm trying to focus on the few things that I actually do like, shellfish, but I know it's going to get old fast. What are some things you guys do? I can do eggs in the morning, but most chicken or meat dishes are just not appealing. I can manage a few bites, but usually not the suggested amount for Whole30. Has anything worked for you guys?

How did everyone do on their first day? I made it, with a headache and all.  My friend that is on day 28 told me to eat a piece of fruit when I start feeling tired or getting a headache.  I ate an apple and I felt better within minutes!  Here's to a successful day 2! 

9 hours ago, karineh said:

Hi! Could I join this group? I'm starting tomorrow (10/3) and would like to be held accountable this time. I tried Whole30 last year and made it about 20 days. I felt great but I let one small slip up ruin it. I want to feel great again and I hope cutting out all the carbs/sugar will help with weight loss and some other issues I'm having. I'm a mom of 3 so life is a bit crazy. I was much more prepared last time, but I hope I can make this work. I want my energy back! 

My biggest issue is that I'm not a huge fan of protein. I'm trying to focus on the few things that I actually do like, shellfish, but I know it's going to get old fast. What are some things you guys do? I can do eggs in the morning, but most chicken or meat dishes are just not appealing. I can manage a few bites, but usually not the suggested amount for Whole30. Has anything worked for you guys?

Of course you can join us! I find having this forum really helps me stay on track and motivated. 

I don't have a lot of protein suggestions, other than eggs (deviled eggs are a great snack for me) and shellfish you already mentioned. Do you do tuna - as in canned tuna? That's pretty versatile. Also, do you like other seafood beyond shellfish? I'm guessing there's a thread in the forum that addresses the protein issue, so you should do some searching if no other answers come here. 

Betsie

1 hour ago, Ena2 said:

How did everyone do on their first day? I made it, with a headache and all.  My friend that is on day 28 told me to eat a piece of fruit when I start feeling tired or getting a headache.  I ate an apple and I felt better within minutes!  Here's to a successful day 2! 

@Ena2 - day 1 was good! I hosted a large potluck party at my house on Sunday, which  featured lots of great non-compliant food and mimosas, and I was worn from getting everything ready, so I was actually looking forward to day 1 to start cleansing out all the yuck. I drank a ton of water yesterday and feel pretty good today, so far. 

The fruit can be a good trick if you feel yucky, but also try adding more fat - nuts, nut butter, avocados, olives, etc. I've struggled with feeling low blood sugar and headachey and my nutritional therapist reminds me to get more fat in my meals to stave off those feelings, so that's one of my extra goals this time around, too. 

Cheers to day 2!

Betsie

Day 2! Did good yesterday but felt like I was starving. I'm figuring I didn't eat enough.  I'm usually not hungry in the morning so it's hard to get breakfast in. Today I had a couple bites of steak and about 10 leftover carrot sticks (with clarified butter on them). 

Tomorrow I plan on getting some hamburger so I can make egg roll in a bowl and some meatballs. Easy stuff to throw in the mic for breakfast. Not really an egg person (I like them they just don't seem to fill me up).

Have a great day (2) everyone!

I seem to have skipped straight to days 4 - 5, I woke up yesterday (day 1) and was mad at the world.  I was not happy at all about starting the W30, I did not want to drink my black coffee, I did not want to give up my sugar-y beverages, I wanted to eat non-compliant snacks with my kids, I wanted to eat chocolate!  In short, my PMS coincidentally kicked in hard the same day as we started W30.

Feeling pretty good today.  The hangover hasn't kicked in yet, so I'm nervously awaiting that.  I am a stay-at-home-mom, so hoping to get a nap in when the kiddos do this afternoon.  There are a million chores to do, but they will wait until my tiger blood kicks in.

Got menu planning done for the first week & got groceries this morning.  I love using grocery pick-up services during a W30, I don't have to be tempted by the sight/smell of non-compliant food.  And as I build my menu, I can just add stuff to my cart.  And my 1 and 4 year-olds aren't thrilled to sit quietly while I read labels in the store, so it's nice to do it on my computer after they're in bed at night.

12 hours ago, karineh said:

I feel your struggle.  My youngest daughter is 15 months old & the memories of meat-related-morning-sickness still haunt me.  I have found that I don't mind the meat too much if I don't have to chew it a lot.  So, ground meat has been almost every meal because it requires so much less chewing.  I can also do shredded chicken in chicken salad or a soup.  I don't know if that approach will help your aversions any, but it's the only advice I have to offer.

Happy Day Two everyone! Yesterday went pretty smoothly, I did find myself getting hungrier than I expected, so today I brought a few more things into the office to add to lunch or have as a snack. I had to go home mid-way through the day to let our landlord/maintenance guy into the house, so I was able to start dinner earlier and made this delicious puree from Nom Nom Paleo. If you have a Trader Joes near you, you can get the ingredients pretty inexpensively. I roasted some pork tenderloin to go with it and sautéed a bag of this interesting mix of kohlrabi, kale, cabbage and golden beets (also from TJ's). It was so comforting and a lovely way to kick off a Fall Whole 30.

Hi, I started yesterday too. I have to run to work, but wanted to say hello and connect with y'all. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me more down the road. So far, so good. I'm enjoying the feeling of cooking healthy goodness, and just not having to make the choice about what and when I'll have a sweet treat. It's better for me when it's just off the menu.

Ciao for now.

-

Im late to join BUT toady was my first day on my first W30! I am excited but totally nervous.  I am traveling for work and will be in a new place for the next couple of months.  I should be able to shop and cook but still....whenever I meet new people, its very hard for me to avoid the "lets grab a drink" or "lets grab lunch"...etc.  Im solo doing this, so I really need to be tough!   

Here we go!

I have to keep reminding myself of some of the rules of W30:

No snacking......no drinking my veggies (so no smoothies).....Larabars and such are for emergencies only (gotta preplan if possible when being out and about)......drink a LOT more water than I had been........any slip (even miniscule or unintentional) means game over (so be vigilant on ingredients! )

Day 1 was a fail. I wasn't prepared for lunch and I failed. Let's try again tomorrow. (Breakfast and dinner were good)

And thanks for the ground beef reminder. I think I'll give that a try. Tuna is hit or miss. I have to find a brand where the texture isn't too dry. 

Archived