First Whole 30- Starting 10/2!

LEB717

8 hours ago, karineh said:

Day 1 was a fail. I wasn't prepared for lunch and I failed. Let's try again tomorrow. (Breakfast and dinner were good)

And thanks for the ground beef reminder. I think I'll give that a try. Tuna is hit or miss. I have to find a brand where the texture isn't too dry. 

Be careful when Tuna shopping & check the ingredients.  So many tuna's contain soy.  Try wild-caught salmon in a can too, I use it to make salmon cakes that are perfect for lunches/breakfasts.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all-

i started whole30 on a whim on Monday 10/2. I had been considering it for a while, so I had many compliant foods already. I prepped by having a frittata made, and veggies chopped. I did whole30 in spring 2016, and felt and looked amazing. Then kinda fell off the plan and was considering going back on when my dad passed away unexpectedly. Caring for myself in any way shape or form became non existent-- caring for my mom, my two toddlers, my husband took a job out of state-- so I did it all alone... and gained 30 lb. I need to do something to get my snacking/sugar/fries/chips and poor choices at bay. It's the beginning of day 3 for me, and i feel empowered but feel like crap! 

Hi all! Day 3 for me and I slept like a brick last night - still hitting snooze too many times, but I'm expecting that to pass eventually (maybe :) ). Food and digestion have been relatively easy so far and with my greatly increased water intake I don't seem to feel like snacking as much, so that's a bonus. I was sad to realize yesterday that my Saag chicken sausage is non-compliant due to sugar - I thought I had used in during a previous W30, but it must have been another brand. Narrow miss!

@karineh - here's a tuna recipe you might like - sounds odd, but they are really good and are always a hit for W30'ers: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes

@laurenmccracken - you've been through so much! Those stressful times in life tend to get in the way of our healthy intentions. I'm glad you've survived and are ready to take this on! I started my health journey in 2011 after a similarly dark phase of my life. I wish I could say I never let stress get in the way now, but I do - but maybe not as horrendously as I did before. Be strong!

@Brensuma - thank you for sharing the W30 resources. It's good to see those reminders here!

If you need W30 recipes, Nom Nom Paleo has TONS! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/42057515329/the-round-up-30-days-of-whole30-recipes

Cheers! Betsie

Halfway through day 3! And feeling like crap haha. I was expecting it and know that it will pass, but boy the headache and everything else came on full force. My biggest issue seems to be that I am constantly so so hungry. I eat breakfast around 7, and am hungry by 10-10:30 am. I am in class at this time (8-12) and so can't really eat a full lunch until 12. This morning I added half an avocado to my breakfast and a spoonful of coconut oil to my coffee, and that seemed to help me get to 11, but does anyone have any thoughts or tips on being able to get from breakfast until lunch without feeling like my stomach is going to eat itself? 

Thanks everyone! To clarify, I was able to move with my husband... just took 8 months from start of his job, selling the house and getting one in Texas... so WE are good:-) 

my tummy is still feeling odd, but still going strong despite wanting bread or carbs to make it feel better!!. Did a quick costco trip and $95 later...  I'm more prepared! 

To curb starvation, I pack almonds (I love walnuts and pecans more, but my LO is deathly allergic, so we steer clear in our house)... I also pack a sliced up apple and a small container of almond butter if say I were in class or for work... my water intake has gone waaay up and for that I'm grateful! 

1 hour ago, kaydf31 said:

Halfway through day 3! And feeling like crap haha. I was expecting it and know that it will pass, but boy the headache and everything else came on full force. My biggest issue seems to be that I am constantly so so hungry. I eat breakfast around 7, and am hungry by 10-10:30 am. I am in class at this time (8-12) and so can't really eat a full lunch until 12. This morning I added half an avocado to my breakfast and a spoonful of coconut oil to my coffee, and that seemed to help me get to 11, but does anyone have any thoughts or tips on being able to get from breakfast until lunch without feeling like my stomach is going to eat itself? 

What did you eat for breakfast?  Try to be specific with how much you ate of each item.  That might help shed some light on why you're not making it until lunch.

Just went to the store & bought 10 bottles of my favorite kombucha.  Got it home, cracked one open, and realized I had found this particular kombucha after my last W30, so I double-checked the label.  Added sugar.  I hadn't taken a sip yet, so I'm fine in that regard, I just wish I had checked it before I cracked open the seal.  Or better yet, before I spent $30 on something I won't be able to drink for a month.  Lesson learned.  Shoving these in the very back of the bottom shelf of the fridge for 30 days.

About to start prepping my crock pot meal for dinner tonight.  We're having Pork Loin and Butternut Squash Stew, one of our favorites  (I put more coconut milk in than the recipe calls for though, just to up our fat intake).  I'm dreading feeding it to my 4-year-old though, it's been a long time since we had it, so she probably won't remember it, and she never wants to try anything "new".

On 10/3/2017 at 7:54 AM, Ena2 said:

How did everyone do on their first day? I made it, with a headache and all.  My friend that is on day 28 told me to eat a piece of fruit when I start feeling tired or getting a headache.  I ate an apple and I felt better within minutes!  Here's to a successful day 2! 

I had a headache on day 1 too and had an apple and that helped immensely!

12 minutes ago, halfpint_aggie said:

What did you eat for breakfast?  Try to be specific with how much you ate of each item.  That might help shed some light on why you're not making it until lunch.

I've been eating 2 hard boiled eggs. Before starting W30, I was eating two scrambled eggs for breakfast most days and that was generally fine (as far as I noticed, although to be honest I wasn't paying as much attention to my snacking and hunger). The issue is that if I woke up late, I would swing by starbucks and get a breakfast sandwich or pastry. Since that's not an option, I've found the hardboiled eggs are easier to grab and go. 

15 minutes ago, kaydf31 said:

I've been eating 2 hard boiled eggs. Before starting W30, I was eating two scrambled eggs for breakfast most days and that was generally fine (as far as I noticed, although to be honest I wasn't paying as much attention to my snacking and hunger). The issue is that if I woke up late, I would swing by starbucks and get a breakfast sandwich or pastry. Since that's not an option, I've found the hardboiled eggs are easier to grab and go. 

While eggs are good option, on their own they're not going to keep you full, as you've noticed. The avocado and coconut oil are great additions as the fat will help keep you satiated, but it sounds like you just need to eat more since you have that long stretch between breakfast and lunch. Some veggies and fruit would help add some fiber and carb to help you stay fuller longer. Sweet potatoes might be a good morning veg for you. Also adding some nuts or nut butter as snacks would help. The grab and go thing is harder, yes - maybe make some egg muffin cups with added veggies and some compliant meat and take 2-3 of them with you to eat on the way, if needed. 

The meal template might help also: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

@laurenmccracken I greatly admire you jumping in with both feet. That takes guts! 

My Day Two was fine. A little headachy and I had to stop by the grocery store which made me grumpy. (WHY DOES ALL OF THE HAM IN WHOLE FOODS HAVE SUGAR IN IT?!?!?) But I got through it. I was hungrier than normal all day, despite eating decent sized/meal template appropriate meals and an afternoon snack, so I added some roasted sweet potatoes to dinner which seemed to do the trick.

Today has been better on all fronts, except for like @Betsie_n I kept hitting the snooze button this morning. The only blip on my radar is a work happy hour this afternoon that I'm not looking forward to. Social events on the W30 are the worst. Not because I can't eat or drink 95% of the things, but because I have to field all of the "Why aren't you drinking wine? What are you doing? The Whole What? What can you eat? What can't you eat? I could never do that... " comments/questions. I generally hate having any attention called to what I'm eating or drinking, so it's my own little mini hell.

But, on the bright side, there's a pork shoulder in my crockpot that means dinner will be super easy when I get home. I also packed myself a little container of red pepper strips and another one of olives, so I can have a little happy hour snack with my club soda and lime. Feeling pretty good about my W30 navigation skills at the moment.

1 hour ago, Betsie_n said:

While eggs are good option, on their own they're not going to keep you full, as you've noticed. The avocado and coconut oil are great additions as the fat will help keep you satiated, but it sounds like you just need to eat more since you have that long stretch between breakfast and lunch. Some veggies and fruit would help add some fiber and carb to help you stay fuller longer. Sweet potatoes might be a good morning veg for you. Also adding some nuts or nut butter as snacks would help. The grab and go thing is harder, yes - maybe make some egg muffin cups with added veggies and some compliant meat and take 2-3 of them with you to eat on the way, if needed. 

The meal template might help also: https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Ditto this, definitely check out the meal planning template.  Eggs are not a whole meal.  You've managed to add fats, now you need to add some veggies.

Also, 2 eggs is really not enough.  The guideline for how many eggs is "as many as you can hold in your hand",  see this thread for a visual:  https://forum.whole30.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/  I am a tiny woman with a tiny, tiny hand, but my egg serving is 4.

10 minutes ago, mdraeger said:

Today has been better on all fronts, except for like @Betsie_n I kept hitting the snooze button this morning. The only blip on my radar is a work happy hour this afternoon that I'm not looking forward to. Social events on the W30 are the worst. Not because I can't eat or drink 95% of the things, but because I have to field all of the "Why aren't you drinking wine? What are you doing? The Whole What? What can you eat? What can't you eat? I could never do that... " comments/questions. I generally hate having any attention called to what I'm eating or drinking, so it's my own little mini hell.

When I did the W30 before, there were several occasions that involved drinking, I just told people who asked "I'm not in the mood for a drink" or "I'm not hungry right now".  I find that the words you speak become your truth, so if you just own that you're not going to be in the mood for a drink, you won't miss having it & won't feel as awkward without it.  And a lot of people go on the offense when they learn about the W30, so then I end up defending my choices, and that just takes all the fun out of a social event.

16 minutes ago, halfpint_aggie said:

When I did the W30 before, there were several occasions that involved drinking, I just told people who asked "I'm not in the mood for a drink" or "I'm not hungry right now".  I find that the words you speak become your truth, so if you just own that you're not going to be in the mood for a drink, you won't miss having it & won't feel as awkward without it.  And a lot of people go on the offense when they learn about the W30, so then I end up defending my choices, and that just takes all the fun out of a social event.

@mdraeger - I agree with @halfpint_aggie. Don't go overboard explaining yourself. It's ok to say "no thank you" or "I'm going to pass tonight" and so on. Most people really don't care what you're eating or drinking if you don't make it a thing. Order your club soda and then change the subject by asking someone a question, etc. If it still seems like you need a reason, I have fibbed and said I was taking some medication and wasn't supposed to drink with it. Yeah, it's a lie, but most people won't press for more details so you're off the hook and don't have to get into the diet thing. 

On the other hand, it seems like W30 is so mainstream now that simply saying your on the W30 may be ok and not elicit a big discussion. You know your co-workers best, so you'll figure it out, but remember, it's really just your business, not theirs so don't allow them to dictate how you manage it. 

Pork shoulder is daBomb for W30 meals! Enjoy!

Betsie

On 10/3/2017 at 10:48 AM, halfpint_aggie said:

I seem to have skipped straight to days 4 - 5, I woke up yesterday (day 1) and was mad at the world.  I was not happy at all about starting the W30, I did not want to drink my black coffee, I did not want to give up my sugar-y beverages, I wanted to eat non-compliant snacks with my kids, I wanted to eat chocolate!  In short, my PMS coincidentally kicked in hard the same day as we started W30.

Feeling pretty good today.  The hangover hasn't kicked in yet, so I'm nervously awaiting that.  I am a stay-at-home-mom, so hoping to get a nap in when the kiddos do this afternoon.  There are a million chores to do, but they will wait until my tiger blood kicks in.

Got menu planning done for the first week & got groceries this morning.  I love using grocery pick-up services during a W30, I don't have to be tempted by the sight/smell of non-compliant food.  And as I build my menu, I can just add stuff to my cart.  And my 1 and 4 year-olds aren't thrilled to sit quietly while I read labels in the store, so it's nice to do it on my computer after they're in bed at night.

I agree that it is pretty mainstream these days.  Everyone I have mentioned it to, is familiar with it and most have even done it before.  I posted on FB today (day 3) and the support has been amazing as well as the familiarity and amount of friends who have done it.

I agree that it is pretty mainstream these days.  Everyone I have mentioned it to, is familiar with it and most have even done it before.  I posted on FB today (day 3) and the support has been amazing as well as the familiarity and amount of friends who have done it.

@mdraeger thanks! I had a ton of energy today and got so much done errands-wise, but then my two year old decided on no nap so now, I'm tired, she's clingy and whiny, and I want to kill.all.things... (no my kids aren't in harms way...but they'll be watching lots of tv tonight!)

i reorganized my pantry and am trying to straighten up my house!  I feel like the crap everywhere is just making me mad, but I know it's likely the sugar withdrawal as well as carbs... are sweet potatoes no longer allowed on whole30?? 

2 minutes ago, laurenmccracken said:

@mdraeger thanks! I had a ton of energy today and got so much done errands-wise, but then my two year old decided on no nap so now, I'm tired, she's clingy and whiny, and I want to kill.all.things... (no my kids aren't in harms way...but they'll be watching lots of tv tonight!)

i reorganized my pantry and am trying to straighten up my house!  I feel like the crap everywhere is just making me mad, but I know it's likely the sugar withdrawal as well as carbs... are sweet potatoes no longer allowed on whole30?? 

Sweet potatoes are definitely allowed!  

5 hours ago, halfpint_aggie said:

Just went to the store & bought 10 bottles of my favorite kombucha.  Got it home, cracked one open, and realized I had found this particular kombucha after my last W30, so I double-checked the label.  Added sugar.  I hadn't taken a sip yet, so I'm fine in that regard, I just wish I had checked it before I cracked open the seal.  Or better yet, before I spent $30 on something I won't be able to drink for a month.  Lesson learned.  Shoving these in the very back of the bottom shelf of the fridge for 30 days.

One of the many reasons I brew my own!

I brew my own kombucha also.  Today so far is good. I hate black coffee but I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches even worse. Egg roll in a bowl for supper tonight. Spaghetti squash and meatballs tomorrow night. I can't wait for the good night sleep that's (hopefully) coming. I am working on getting more water drank during the day. I know I'm not drinking nearly enough.

Hope everyone had a great w30 day!

Archived