First Whole 30- Starting 10/2!

LEB717

I  have looked into brewing my own and was going to start before I got pregnant with my second baby.  But it really just seems like one more chore that I cannot handle right now.  I'll put that on the list for when my kids are all wiping their own bums.  And we plan on adopting 2 more kids, so that'll be a long way off.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone - Day 4 here and I'm really feeling it in my guts. Definitely having some digestive disturbances and well...let's just say that I think I'm definitely cleansing out the bad stuff. I know this is normal, but not something that has really happened to me during my past W30s - I assume because I tend to stay pretty much Paleo, so it's not typically a huge change in my diet. I know it will pass and that it means things are working, so I'm trying not to be whiny about it :wacko:.

On the up side - drinking my 110 ounces of water is getting easier - and might be a reason things are flushing out of my system, ha!

It's so great to see people talking about drinking and even brewing kombucha! I also brew my own now. When I started Paleo and did my first rounds of W30 nobody (including me) even knew what it was. We could drink water or sparkling water. It's nice to see positive shifts in our food culture are happening. 

How's everyone else feeling? What are you eating? 

Betsie

@laurenmccracken Work social was great! (Big thanks to you and @halfpint_aggie for the suggestions, they really helped!) I drank club soda with a bunch of lime slices, put my little purse snacks on an appetizer plate and munched along with everyone else, which was a new experiment for me. I usually just eat something beforehand and say I'm not hungry, but I really like sharing food communally (plus it always makes my inner-toddler want All. Of. The. Things!) But being able to eat something delicious along with everyone was great, so I highly recommend it for W30 socializing. My boss did notice that I wasn't drinking wine, (he and I have had many conversations about wine, so he knew something was up) but no one made a big deal or asked a million questions, so it was good. I was lucky to have a co-worker friend who knew what was up, so she helped navigate the conversation. 

Then not only did I come home to delicious crockpot pork shoulder, but my awesome hubby had made a salad and roasted some delicata squash to go with it. He's typically great when I give him specific instructions, but less likely to come up with side dishes on his own, so that was a nice surprise.  So far, Day 4 is going smoothly. I hit the snooze button a million times this morning and got to work a little late, but so far have not felt like killing all the things. But, to be honest, I frequently feel like killing all the things, so it's not a reliable W30 benchmark for me. :D

51 minutes ago, mdraeger said:

@laurenmccracken Work social was great! (Big thanks to you and @halfpint_aggie for the suggestions, they really helped!) I drank club soda with a bunch of lime slices, put my little purse snacks on an appetizer plate and munched along with everyone else, which was a new experiment for me. I usually just eat something beforehand and say I'm not hungry, but I really like sharing food communally (plus it always makes my inner-toddler want All. Of. The. Things!) But being able to eat something delicious along with everyone was great, so I highly recommend it for W30 socializing. My boss did notice that I wasn't drinking wine, (he and I have had many conversations about wine, so he knew something was up) but no one made a big deal or asked a million questions, so it was good. I was lucky to have a co-worker friend who knew what was up, so she helped navigate the conversation. 

Then not only did I come home to delicious crockpot pork shoulder, but my awesome hubby had made a salad and roasted some delicata squash to go with it. He's typically great when I give him specific instructions, but less likely to come up with side dishes on his own, so that was a nice surprise.  So far, Day 4 is going smoothly. I hit the snooze button a million times this morning and got to work a little late, but so far have not felt like killing all the things. But, to be honest, I frequently feel like killing all the things, so it's not a reliable W30 benchmark for me. :D

Glad it went well.  I actually thought of you when I was at a social function last night.  Our church cooks dinner on Wednesday nights, and our girls have so much fun there.  So my husband & I decided to just go feed them there & socialize a bit, but I had a stew waiting for us to eat when we got home.  I didn't think anyone would even notice because I have a gluten-allergy & skip eating dinner there regularly.  But they did a fish fry last night.  And one of the volunteer cooks went out of her way to buy gluten-free fish batter and then to make sure they fried up the gluten-free fish before they did any other frying, just so I could have some.  I felt so bad, but I stayed strong and a friend who was there who recently discovered she has a gluten allergy ate the fish; so I'm glad they made it.  But my usual just avoiding the topic of W30, did not work at all.

My husband came home and opened chips and salsa. I absentmindedly used to eat them. So I grabbed a bag of almonds and had a handful instead of grabbing for the chips... I know it's "snacking" but heck! I didn't have the chips! I made a shepherds pie and it was scrumptious, but forgot to put it in the frige last night :-O so I was super bummed. I ate it anyway for lunch, so if I croak tonight, blame the shepherds pie! 

I had decent to great energy when I woke up, did the pumpkin patch with my kiddos, came home and prepped chimichurri sauce for dinner and hopped on the treadmill while I talked to my mom on the phone. 

Day 4 so far so good! 

I made this in the crockpot overnight, so good:  http://paleomg.com/easy-crockpot-breakfast-pie/  I substituted Yukon Gold Potatoes for the Sweet Potatoes because that was what I had on hand and I used 14 eggs instead of 8 to beef it up a bit.  Next time I'll probably do the same, but will add mushrooms & change the basil for something else. (And by next time I mean tonight, for tomorrow morning.)

The reason I actually made it was that I had a pot-luck brunch to attend this morning & wanted to make sure there was something compliant for me to eat so I could share in the social aspect.  Everyone there loved it & asked for the recipe, so I guess it was a success.

Oh, and how I'm feeling on day 4.  I am surprised at how good I feel.  I expected to be angry today because in the past, the W30 timeline has been so true for me.  But this round I woke up wanting to "kill all the things" on day 1, skipped the days 2-3 hangover, but was still feeling angry.  Today, I'm feeling good & pretty energective.  Definitely feeling more focused, I wish I had been able to do the W30 in college, my grades would have been a lot higher, but alas, it was not around 15 years ago.  I got out of bed when my alarm went off at 6, which is huge for me, I'm a chronic snoozer.  About to go take a little nap so I can hopefully stay feeling good.  I feel like I already have the days 8-9 bloat going on, but that might just be because I chose to wear actual jeans today instead of yoga pants.  Because all my yoga pants are dirty.  I'm too busy prepping food to stay on top of laundry.

Digestively, things have been more "active" the past few days, but in a healthy way, nothing I'd call "digestive distress".

@halfpint_aggie I'll have to make this breakfast recipe now that my frittata is gone (my two year old loved it!)... 

i expected to be all hangovery and angry too... maybe it's coming this weekend... just in time for my husband to be gone for 4 days again haha.... I haven't worn real pants in months, but feel more bloat in my yoga pants. Could be time of the month or the food. Digestively, things are moving along more, but not too horribly. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, laurenmccracken said:

I don't eat pork, I'm kinda wondering what I could do instead for that crockpot breakfast meal... 

Season ground turkey or chicken and use it. Here's a recipe for breakfast sausage that you could use, just combine it all but don't make it into patties or cook it:   http://www.farmsteadchic.com/paleo-whole30-breakfast-sausage/

2 hours ago, laurenmccracken said:

I don't eat pork, I'm kinda wondering what I could do instead for that crockpot breakfast meal... 

I've made similar casseroles with other ground meats.  Beef, chicken, & turkey all work out great.  You could also skip the meat, eggs are protein after all.

On 10/4/2017 at 12:38 PM, laurenmccracken said:

Thanks everyone! To clarify, I was able to move with my husband... just took 8 months from start of his job, selling the house and getting one in Texas... so WE are good:-) 

I thought I had replied to this before, but I missed it.  Welcome to the greatest state in the nation!  Where in Texas are you?

Hello Day 5! My digestive issues have calmed. I feel ok energy-wise and I haven't had any angry-ness and surprisingly, I haven't had cravings for sugar yet - and that's definitely always my issue. I wonder if increasing the water and fat intake is helping that. 

I have to go to the dentist today and that's always a big sugar trigger because I have had much dental drama and trauma over the years and am pretty phobic. It's only a filling and my dentist knows my issues, so I'm sure it will be as ok as it can be, but I still hate it - but, I won't give into emotional eating today because of it. 

We're rolling into the weekend, which can be a big trip up for folks on the W30 - what's everyone's plans for staying on track this weekend amidst social and other weekend events? I have to do a fundraiser with a local organization - a spaghetti dinner, no less...with a pie auction! I am in charge of making sauce, so that's going to be fine and then I have to go help set-up, serve, clean-up, etc. It's a dinnertime thing, so I'm planning to eat a large late lunch before I go and arm myself with some emergency food. I can eat the meat sauce and so I think I'll be ok. Mostly, it's the being busy and being away from my kitchen for several hours that will be the challenge, but preparation will be key. 

A friend gave me this recipe for a spinach/artichoke dip - she says it's to die for but I haven't made it myself yet: probably this weekend. Thought I'd share for those who may need to take something compliant to a weekend gathering: https://ideatthatfood.com/blog/creamy-spinach-artichoke-dip

TGIF! Betsie

Happy Friday and Day 5 everyone! (I'm slightly shocked that it's already day five... ) I think the tiredness part of the timeline has started early for me and I've got serious brain fog this morning, as in I stared at the gas pump screen that said "insert debit card" with my debit card in my hand for an embarrassingly long interval – god help my co-workers today if they ask me a question! :-D I'm so grateful that the weekend is almost here. We thankfully don't have a ton of social plans, so I'm looking forward to sleeping in, making something delicious for dinner, pouring a glass of kombucha and watching movies in my sweatpants. I do have a Sunday afternoon volunteer commitment, but I'm not too worried about it being a big food temptation thing (I am bringing a few snacks, just in case.)

@Betsie_n That spinach artichoke dip looks AMAZING. I'm saving that for the next time I have to bring something to a party.

So, I had a rough night.  On the first Thursday of every month I go out to dinner with some mom-friends once our kiddos are in bed.  I asked the waiter a million questions & ordered grilled chicken fajitas, no tortillas, substituted veggies for all the rice & beans, & got extra guacamole instead of cheese & sour cream.

About 5 minutes after I finish my meal, (which wasn't even good) the digestive distress starts.  I thought maybe it was just because it was really spicy & I ate some peppers & those don't usually agree with me.  Then I woke up at 2:30AM, completely wired.  Couldn't fall back asleep until after 5AM.  Something similar happened after my first W30 when I had booze & dessert in one meal.  I definitely didn't have booze or dessert last night, but something triggered a response.

I thought about starting over, but after reading some wisdom from Melissa Hartwig about this kind of situation, I decided to keep on going.  I did everything right, I can't even be 100% sure that it was something off-limits that affected me, it seems like a crazy-strong reaction to have 4 days into a W30.  And I'm about to start my period, so that could be part of the equation.  And I have done 2 W30s before (both lasted longer than 30 days actually) and I did those as close to perfect as you possibly could.  If this were my first W30, I'd possibly feel differently.

So, I'm dragging today, but I'll took a nap & I will survive.

6 hours ago, Betsie_n said:

Hello Day 5! My digestive issues have calmed. I feel ok energy-wise and I haven't had any angry-ness and surprisingly, I haven't had cravings for sugar yet - and that's definitely always my issue. I wonder if increasing the water and fat intake is helping that. 

I have to go to the dentist today and that's always a big sugar trigger because I have had much dental drama and trauma over the years and am pretty phobic. It's only a filling and my dentist knows my issues, so I'm sure it will be as ok as it can be, but I still hate it - but, I won't give into emotional eating today because of it. 

We're rolling into the weekend, which can be a big trip up for folks on the W30 - what's everyone's plans for staying on track this weekend amidst social and other weekend events? I have to do a fundraiser with a local organization - a spaghetti dinner, no less...with a pie auction! I am in charge of making sauce, so that's going to be fine and then I have to go help set-up, serve, clean-up, etc. It's a dinnertime thing, so I'm planning to eat a large late lunch before I go and arm myself with some emergency food. I can eat the meat sauce and so I think I'll be ok. Mostly, it's the being busy and being away from my kitchen for several hours that will be the challenge, but preparation will be key. 

A friend gave me this recipe for a spinach/artichoke dip - she says it's to die for but I haven't made it myself yet: probably this weekend. Thought I'd share for those who may need to take something compliant to a weekend gathering: https://ideatthatfood.com/blog/creamy-spinach-artichoke-dip

TGIF! Betsie

Betsie, Thanks for the dip recipe. Totally gonna check it out. Maybe you could bring some Zoodles (zucchini noodles) for yourself to go with the sauce. I'm actually eating that exact thing right now for my lunch. So yummy. I usually make them myself, but our Whole Foods has them ready made, you just have to sautee yourself, which is a good option when strapped for time. Personally I'm already missing my Friday evening cocktail. I'm going to go to an evening singing event to infuse my spirit and distract my brain.

@halfpint_aggie we're in Texas for my husband's job, 30 mins outside dfw. 

@Betsie_n that spinach dip looks amazing!! 

Day 5, and I feel down, blue, irritable and blah. Could be period-related too. We took the kids on "family day"-- meaning my husband is actually home, and wants to go conquer the world ignoring naps and school and any other semblance of routine... consisted of Target, marshalls, costco, and a parking lot for 30 minutes to watch WWII airplanes  fly over.... kids behaved atrociously and in ready to

KILL.ALL.THINGS! 

My husband works the next four days so it's me and 2 and 4 year old til Tuesday. Church on Sunday is about the only plan I have...

1 hour ago, halfpint_aggie said:

So, I had a rough night.  On the first Thursday of every month I go out to dinner with some mom-friends once our kiddos are in bed.  I asked the waiter a million questions & ordered grilled chicken fajitas, no tortillas, substituted veggies for all the rice & beans, & got extra guacamole instead of cheese & sour cream.

About 5 minutes after I finish my meal, (which wasn't even good) the digestive distress starts.  I thought maybe it was just because it was really spicy & I ate some peppers & those don't usually agree with me.  Then I woke up at 2:30AM, completely wired.  Couldn't fall back asleep until after 5AM.  Something similar happened after my first W30 when I had booze & dessert in one meal.  I definitely didn't have booze or dessert last night, but something triggered a response.

I thought about starting over, but after reading some wisdom from Melissa Hartwig about this kind of situation, I decided to keep on going.  I did everything right, I can't even be 100% sure that it was something off-limits that affected me, it seems like a crazy-strong reaction to have 4 days into a W30.  And I'm about to start my period, so that could be part of the equation.  And I have done 2 W30s before (both lasted longer than 30 days actually) and I did those as close to perfect as you possibly could.  If this were my first W30, I'd possibly feel differently.

So, I'm dragging today, but I'll took a nap & I will survive.

@halfpint_aggie I am sorry you're feeling icky. I agree that you shouldn't start over. I'm betting it's your body detoxing more than the restaurant food, especially this early in the process. I felt the same the day before you and am sure that I didn't eat anything non-compliant. Or, you may be a lot of something that is causing irritation, like too many nuts, etc.

Hope you feel better soon!

@RPN Yes, I might do zoodles, but more often I just dump over spinach - fast and simple. I'm worried that we'll be so busy that I won't have for to really eat and that's when it's easy to munch absently. 

@laurenmccracken Keep breathing! It gets better. Get lots of water and some protein and fat in you tonight. Tomorrow will be better. 

I survived the dentist but my face was numb for so look long it was hard to eat and drink so my schedule is off for the day. Going to a football game tonight so I'll eat dinner before we go to avoid the Frito pie.

Thanks @Betsie_n!  I'm a little controlling & want to follow rules obsessively.  So I really have to talk myself of a ledge sometimes.  I appreciate the validation.

Glad your dentist appointment went well!

@laurenmccracken My husband always wants to do the "family day" too.  I feel your pain.  Good luck solo-parenting over the weekend!

Hi everyone! I also started Monday and can't believe I've done 5 days already! It's strangely been easier than I thought. I have a food and travel blog, and I eat out probably 5-10 times a week if you count lunch. Never thought I would do this, but I don't have any  travel this month which is rare, and trying to reset before I go on vacation in November!  I think the biggest long term change I want to make is eating healthy when I'm at home, and bringing lunch to work rather than eating out. I had headaches the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day. No headaches today but I tried to workout for the first time (yoga) and I felt kind of hungover! Normally workout 3-5 times per week but today felt sweaty and almost faint. Is everyone else sticking to their normal workout routine? 

Archived