Day 11: The Potato Dilemma

Does anyone else leave potatoes out of their whole30?

I know they are technically compliant, but for me I find that they are absolutely food with no brakes. I did my first and second whole30s a couple years ago, back in the BP Era (before potato), and I've found that adding them back in severely cramps my progress. I never did like sweet potatoes, and to this day can't stand to eat them, but white potatoes... game over. If I need carbs, I rely on squash instead.

I'm not trying to make this into a Whole30: Hard Mode, but I seem to do better without potatoes in the mix. Curious if this is the case for anyone else.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, pipsqueak said:

Does anyone else leave potatoes out of their whole30?

I know they are technically compliant, but for me I find that they are absolutely food with no brakes. I did my first and second whole30s a couple years ago, back in the BP Era (before potato), and I've found that adding them back in severely cramps my progress. I never did like sweet potatoes, and to this day can't stand to eat them, but white potatoes... game over. If I need carbs, I rely on squash instead.

I'm not trying to make this into a Whole30: Hard Mode, but I seem to do better without potatoes in the mix. Curious if this is the case for anyone else.

Hi;

A LOT of people are not able to eat potatoes (either because it disagrees with them or because they are food with no brakes).  Squash, beets, carrots, parsnips (basically root veggies) are fine for carbs and the recommendation is one fist sized serving a day to start.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I found this so interesting. I'm on day 27 of my first Whole30, but I feel like I suffered from this problem around potatoes (of all kinds, for me!) My question is - do I need to keep going after day 30 and try doing what I'm doing, minus the potatoes? I really want to make the most out of this experience, but feeling like there is a food that can make me lose my sense of self-control makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. 

Thanks!

• Moderators
17 hours ago, psychologeek said:

Hi everyone,

I found this so interesting. I'm on day 27 of my first Whole30, but I feel like I suffered from this problem around potatoes (of all kinds, for me!) My question is - do I need to keep going after day 30 and try doing what I'm doing, minus the potatoes? I really want to make the most out of this experience, but feeling like there is a food that can make me lose my sense of self-control makes me feel like I'm doing it wrong. 

Thanks!

What you do after day 30 is really up to you. Do remember that you'll want to do reintroductions at some point, so be sure to account for that when you decide whether or not to keep going. It is definitely okay to leave the potatoes out, but remember that most people do well with some form of starchy vegetables (usually a fist-sized serving, once a day), so you might explore other options for that -- root veggies like carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, or rutabagas, or winter squashes like butternut, acorn, or kabocha squash. 

Archived