Can I have non-grain hot cereal?

Jacobywankenobi

I apologize if this is addressed elsewhere.  I did some searches on the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic with the searches that I did.  However, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that these type of hot cereal recipes using nuts and coconuts cooked in almond milk in order to mimic oatmeal are not approved on Whole 30 as a "sex with your pants on" kind of thing.  My husband and I have finished our Whole30, but we are wanting to stay as close to the plan as possible because we have experienced some good health benefits we want to keep.  My husband is just so sick of eggs and really misses his daily oatmeal.  Any thoughts to this?  Greatly appreciate it!  It is really confusing because so many bloggers out there claim to have a "Whole 30" hot cereal recipe, but are adding dates, raisins, Stevia, etc....many things that look like added sugar to me so would not be allowed?

39 minutes ago, Jacobywankenobi said:

I apologize if this is addressed elsewhere.  I did some searches on the forum and couldn't find anything on this topic with the searches that I did.  However, I do seem to remember reading somewhere that these type of hot cereal recipes using nuts and coconuts cooked in almond milk in order to mimic oatmeal are not approved on Whole 30 as a "sex with your pants on" kind of thing.  My husband and I have finished our Whole30, but we are wanting to stay as close to the plan as possible because we have experienced some good health benefits we want to keep.  My husband is just so sick of eggs and really misses his daily oatmeal.  Any thoughts to this?  Greatly appreciate it!  It is really confusing because so many bloggers out there claim to have a "Whole 30" hot cereal recipe, but are adding dates, raisins, Stevia, etc....many things that look like added sugar to me so would not be allowed?

If you're done with your round of whole30, you can eat whatever you want! That's what Food Freedom is, if something like what you've described works for you in your own context outside of a round of whole30 go for it! However, if you're completing a w30 this would be SWYPO and out.

50 minutes ago, Jacobywankenobi said:

Are you two extending your Whole30 to a Whole45-60? If not, has he tried reintroductions? Perhaps oatmeal now and then wouldn't be a big deal for him. Or perhaps he'd learn that oatmeal doesn't taste as good or keep him satisfied as well as he remembers.

I also just finished a Whole30 and am wanting to keep on plan as much as possible, so I get where this is coming from. In my food freedom I don't have a problem trying out some of those SWYPO-y type recipes, but I now have the meal template so firmly engrained in my brain that I can't justify a lot of the recipes. Most of those paleo "hot cereal" recipes are going to be high in fat, but lacking in protein and/or veggies. I know something like that won't keep me satisfied, so at a minimum I'd need to add some meat, maybe some sausage on the side? I feel the same way about trying to add in any other grains...If I were to eat oatmeal for breakfast, I'd still want to add protein, veggies and fat. 

Archived