pre workout food before breakfast :(

Daniel Ramirez

Hi!
The program says the pre and post workout meal cannot replace the breakfast, but what about if the workout is the first thing in the morning?
In my case I wake up at 6 am and I have a 30 minute session of exercising at home [A non-equipment routine of jumping jacks + running in place + blurpees + lunges + abdominals + squads + push-ups + body extension] before having breakfast, take a shower and leaving to work. 
What is an ideal snack that I could have in order to get some energy for the workout and then be able to have a full breakfast in the morning? 
So far I've been having a small meal like: Orange juice + chicken/egg (protein) + avocado + few nuts (sometimes a banana)
therefore, my post-workout meal is my breakfast, what can I have then? 

I appreciate any advice :)  THANKS!

• Moderators

Pre-WO you want protein and fat -- so chicken or egg with avocado and/or nuts is great. It doesn't need to be a whole meal's worth, just a few bites. Skip the orange juice for pre-WO for sure, and you'd really be better off not drinking juice at all (you can find more about that in the Can I Have guide, just scroll down to Fruit Juice to find it.)

Ideally, post-WO would be separate from breakfast, and for it you'd have a few bites of lean protein, and possibly a few bites of a starchy vegetable. I'm not sure how strenuous your workout is, but if over time you start feeling run down or like you're not recovering, you might want to change things up to allow yourself this post-WO in addition to your meals. If you have breakfast instead of post-WO, just have a full breakfast that matches the meal templateHere's an article that explains more about post-WO meals, what you should have, and why they're important. 

I do a lot of hot yoga and interval training for morning workouts, and my stomach just can't handle much within 2-3 hours prior to hitting the mat.  I've found that a spoonful of coconut butter works great, and I don't get any grief when I'm upside down (hello, burpee).  It's also called coconut manna, and you can find it on Amazon or Thrive.  It's just pureed coconut.  

Archived