Still Confused About Fats

kirbz

Hi! I'm still a little confused about what constitutes fat for a meal... I've read ISWF and the Meal Template handout and I understand some of the choices like avocado, coconut, olives, etc. Here are the two things that still have me a little confused: 

• If I cook with oils, cooking fat, or butters, does that count? Or is most of it cooked out and I should have some more?
  • If I eat a fatty food like salmon, should I still have extra fat?

In general, I'm finding that I'm relying very heavily on avocado and cooking with ghee for my fats. I definitely need to strive for more variety and would appreciate any tips! 

18 hours ago, kirbz said:

Hi! I'm still a little confused about what constitutes fat for a meal... I've read ISWF and the Meal Template handout and I understand some of the choices like avocado, coconut, olives, etc. Here are the two things that still have me a little confused: 

• If I cook with oils, cooking fat, or butters, does that count? Or is most of it cooked out and I should have some more?
  • If I eat a fatty food like salmon, should I still have extra fat?

In general, I'm finding that I'm relying very heavily on avocado and cooking with ghee for my fats. I definitely need to strive for more variety and would appreciate any tips! 

I'm not a mod, but generally speaking when you cook with fat you definitely want to add more to your plate. I'll roast sweet potatoes in olive oil, and then add a scoop of ghee to melt over them, or make a mayo based dipping sauce. When we have salmon I make a sauce that's just mayo mixed with some coconut aminos to thin it out...a little extra fat but I never feel like that is too much!

Archived