Olive Recommendations

kirbz

So, I've literally never in my life eaten an olive. Except on pizza, which I hate and always pick off. Do you have a recommendation for what I should try first? I'm looking for more variety in the fats I add to my meals so I'd like to try some olives. Any recommendations for an olive newbie?

Thanks so much, this forum is so very helpful and I appreciate all of the camaraderie and support! 

• Moderators

As a recovering olive hater, here's my tips... everytime an olive comes into your vicinity, bite it... start by going to a place with a good olive bar and picking out a few you think you might like to try (go by looks really).  Take them home and rinse them off and then find something to put them in... a few to start... say 4 or 5... put them in your mouth with a bite of food that you know you like... Olives are one of the kind of things that sometimes if you're not a big fan, you have to ween yourself up to.... 

If you STILL hate them, buy cans of the black or green sliced olives, open, rinse and add to chili or stew... you absolutely cannot taste them in a flavorful dish but they will provide that fat kick.

It sounds stupid to even say it but keep trying because your eating life is SO. MUCH. EASIER when olives are an option!

Thank you for the tips! I did find an olive bar at the local Safeway (who knew that was there!?) and tried some of the Castelvetrano olives. I definitely didn't love them. I didn't even like them. But I ate them and it wasn't awful. 

I'll definitely keep trying different varieties! Next time I think I'll grab a few different kinds... 

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, kirbz said:

Thank you for the tips! I did find an olive bar at the local Safeway (who knew that was there!?) and tried some of the Castelvetrano olives. I definitely didn't love them. I didn't even like them. But I ate them and it wasn't awful. 

I'll definitely keep trying different varieties! Next time I think I'll grab a few different kinds... 

Thank you! 

The only kind of olives I like are the Pearls black olives from a can..you can find them at any grocery store. I've tried so many times to like the fancier green/purple olives but I just can't do it. The Pearls just taste like salt to me, which I love haha...also my mom told me once that she used to eat bowls of them when she was pregnant with me so I like to think I was born loving them :) 

Archived