Struggling with protein being appetizing

I'm on day 10 and really feeling great.  Better energy, better mood, no afternoon crashes, and so far no real cravings.  And I am totally loving my cold brew coffee just black - who knew?

But I am oddly struggling with protein choices being appetizing.  And I say this as a tried and true meat lover.  Breakfast is a new thing for me, I don't typically eat until lunch, but am embracing all of the Whole30 guidelines, including eating breakfast.  At this point, I am doing pretty well with it, but when it's time for lunch and dinner, all that really sounds good is roasted veggies and maybe a sweet potato.  I'm posting the last two days of meals to see if perhaps I should be making some different choices and that will help.  Or is this a phase others have gone through?  I'm still eating protein at every meal, just not particularly enjoying it like I am enjoying the rest of my food.  Some meals it goes beyond not enjoying it to really not wanting to eat it (but I do anyway!)

B: 3 eggs, roasted kale, 2 pieces of bacon

L: Homemade soup (including broth) made with chicken thighs, onions, carrots, and celery

D: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, roasted broccoli (tossed with olive oil and melted ghee before roasting), slow cooker short ribs

L: same soup as above, 1 medium apple

D: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, turkey burger patty, roasted cauliflower

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's important to eat what you like for protein during your whole 30. Variety is good, but if it doesn't help you stick to the plan, or if it's not what your body really wants, then there is a lower chance at success. So, if you want just fish, eat fish! I was a pescatarian for 7 years until I was married and never craved meat really. If you want steak everyday, have steak everyday. Try adding some spices/flavors you know you love into the mix. Love Mexican food? Make your own fajitas or lettuce wrap tacos. Love Chinese food? Use a bit of coconut aminos, sesame oil and/or fish sauce with lemon and other spices to make an Asian inspired stir fry or other type of dish. There are a lot of flavorful options, but it does take some work and creativity to get there. 

• Moderators
On October 4, 2017 at 7:05 PM, chachacha said:

I'm on day 10 and really feeling great.  Better energy, better mood, no afternoon crashes, and so far no real cravings.  And I am totally loving my cold brew coffee just black - who knew?

But I am oddly struggling with protein choices being appetizing.  And I say this as a tried and true meat lover.  Breakfast is a new thing for me, I don't typically eat until lunch, but am embracing all of the Whole30 guidelines, including eating breakfast.  At this point, I am doing pretty well with it, but when it's time for lunch and dinner, all that really sounds good is roasted veggies and maybe a sweet potato.  I'm posting the last two days of meals to see if perhaps I should be making some different choices and that will help.  Or is this a phase others have gone through?  I'm still eating protein at every meal, just not particularly enjoying it like I am enjoying the rest of my food.  Some meals it goes beyond not enjoying it to really not wanting to eat it (but I do anyway!)

L: Homemade soup (including broth) made with chicken thighs, onions, carrots, and celery

D: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, roasted broccoli (tossed with olive oil and melted ghee before roasting), slow cooker short ribs

L: same soup as above, 1 medium apple

D: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, turkey burger patty, roasted cauliflower

How are you doing with this?  There's no tried and true method for protein being unappetizing except just powering through. It's a sign that your hormones are out of whack. I do think you're undereating which can contribute to feelings of low appetite.  I doubt your kale for breakfast was a plate full (altho if it was, good job!).  Did your soup have 1-2 palms of meat and a 'plate' full of veggies?  If you're eating soup as the only component of your meal, it still needs to be made to the template which is often a LOT of soup and you have no fat.

Your meal 3 on the second day has no fat and in general I think you lack fat overall and your meals are small.  

Sorry this got missed by the mods!

Thank you, everyone for your thoughtful responses. I’m still not CRAZY about protein (no one’s more shocked than I, truly), but have taken your advice and am implementing the following this week (I typically do my big shop for a whole week):

1. Being okay with eating eggs for more than one meal. 

2. Splurged on salmon, which I love, enough for four 2 palm sized portions. 

3. Adding extra clarified butter, melted on top of my sweet potatoes, which I eat once a day. And upping my sweet potato serving from 1 to 2 palms, in response to the suggestion I’m not eating enough. But eating it after my protein, so I don’t fill up on the starch first.  

4. Put double the chicken in my batch of soup I made for lunches to make sure I get 1 - 2 palms in every serving. 

5. Eating jicama slices with a generous dollop of guacamole with breakfast and lunch to up my fat at those meals. 

Thanks again! I’ll check back in a few days to update how it’s going. : )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived