Whole30 Done - ab muscle pull while ramping up training

SnowflakeVT

Hi All,

I started some training (1 day / week) to get my core in shape for cross country skiing, and I was a little too enthusiastic. I just finished the official whole30 successfully, and will continue to whole30 as I slowly do re-introduction, starting tomorrow. I'm feeling great, other than a painful ab muscle pull that I caused myself.

Age: 53, female, have not been exercising regularly due to back injury (now fixed thanks to great chiropractor and specific exercises). I also work in an office so sit most of work day.

The training was double leg jumps up a hill, side planks w/ dips, twisty situps, TMX straps, and kettle ball lift, and similar activities. I don't know what one exercise caused the pull, but a week later I am not able to do a push up, a plank, or a double leg jump (because my arms have to go up).

The injury is in the left abdominal muscle just below my belly button. No bruise, no strange bulge, but very painful.

How long will it take to heal? Does anyone hear have suggestions for what I can do to help healing? Eating more protein? Stretching? Ice? Heat? Massage?

Now that I am feeling healthy (and look trimmer) I want to continue my momentum into training. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, SnowflakeVT said:

Hi All,

I started some training (1 day / week) to get my core in shape for cross country skiing, and I was a little too enthusiastic. I just finished the official whole30 successfully, and will continue to whole30 as I slowly do re-introduction, starting tomorrow. I'm feeling great, other than a painful ab muscle pull that I caused myself.

Age: 53, female, have not been exercising regularly due to back injury (now fixed thanks to great chiropractor and specific exercises). I also work in an office so sit most of work day.

The training was double leg jumps up a hill, side planks w/ dips, twisty situps, TMX straps, and kettle ball lift, and similar activities. I don't know what one exercise caused the pull, but a week later I am not able to do a push up, a plank, or a double leg jump (because my arms have to go up).

The injury is in the left abdominal muscle just below my belly button. No bruise, no strange bulge, but very painful.

How long will it take to heal? Does anyone hear have suggestions for what I can do to help healing? Eating more protein? Stretching? Ice? Heat? Massage?

Now that I am feeling healthy (and look trimmer) I want to continue my momentum into training. 

Hey there - Sorry you've hurt yourself.  The advice you're looking for is outside the scope of the expertise of the forum.  My suggestion would be to see a personal trainer or OT/PT or even ask this same question over on a body building or workout forum.

Archived