How Bad is Having Coconut Palm Sugar on Day 21?

kirbz

I mistakenly had coconut palm sugar with Meal 3 tonight. I have a shelf in our cupboard that has all of my compliant Whole30 ingredients. My fiance knows to always make me something only from that shelf. I confirmed that everything he used for the meal was from the shelf. But, he included something from another shelf and it had coconut palm sugar. I didn’t find out until half way through the meal. And then he felt so awful that I didn’t have the heart to not finish it.

I understand the advice provided about starting over. My question is, how bad is having a small amount of coconut palm sugar at this stage? Is it better or worse than having another type of ingredient? Is it going to mess up my Whole30 results? 

Gah, this is super disappointing and kinda make me want to throw in the towel altogether! I won't, but it's so discouraging! I've tried so hard! 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, kirbz said:

I mistakenly had coconut palm sugar with Meal 3 tonight. I have a shelf in our cupboard that has all of my compliant Whole30 ingredients. My fiance knows to always make me something only from that shelf. I confirmed that everything he used for the meal was from the shelf. But, he included something from another shelf and it had coconut palm sugar. I didn’t find out until half way through the meal. And then he felt so awful that I didn’t have the heart to not finish it.

I understand the advice provided about starting over. My question is, how bad is having a small amount of coconut palm sugar at this stage? Is it better or worse than having another type of ingredient? Is it going to mess up my Whole30 results? 

Gah, this is super disappointing and kinda make me want to throw in the towel altogether! I won't, but it's so discouraging! I've tried so hard! 

Well as far as comparison, it's not as bad as having a gut disruptor such as dairy or soy, but there isn't really a 'this isn't great but it's fine' type of non compliant ingredient.  As far as whether or not it will mess up your results, it entirely depends on what you were looking to gain from Whole30 - if ANY of your desired results were around cravings, sugar dragon etc... well, that wouldnt be the best... it's not possible for us to put a metric to it that says that your results will still be XX% okay, but the idea of the program is 30 full days of no cheats, slips or excuses because that's really the only way we can say for sure that you've changed your gut and started to change your relationship with food.  

Sorry that happened, that sucks.

What is the end game or results you're looking for.  Are you making plans for your Reintro?  If you are.... http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

Throwing the towel in won't solve a thing. Melissa has a new Reintro article. It answers so many questions.  https://whole30.com/2017/09/whole30-reintroduction-help/

You choose, tacking additional days on but whatever you do...follow through with the Reintro.

"Thirty days of so much hard work completely wasted, because you’ve learned nothing about how these less healthy foods impact you.

Don’t do that. Please.

You’ve come this far—take the extra time to really reap the benefits of our carefully crafted reintroduction schedules. Be patient, and take the lessons you’ll learn in the coming days with you for the rest of your life. Rush this process, and you’ll be selling yourself short."

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Food for thought: The accidental part of the sugar dose isn't maybe the biggest deal here. The fact that you continued to eat the meal because your husband felt bad is more concerning.

Part of the Whole30 process teaches that you never, ever have to eat something to avoid hurting other people's feelings.

Part of the reason so many of us are unhealthy is attitudes toward food that includes eating out of obligation.

"Come on, I made this just for you" "You can have just one" ...

What if you shrugged with a smile and said, "Sweetheart, I really appreciate you making me dinner tonight. That makes me feel so loved and supported. It was an innocent mistake, no hard feelings. But I need to set this aside and eat something else tonight."

Archived