Empty Nest, so many feels "comforted" by food

ChristyJ

My youngest went off to college in late August, and while I'm so incredibly proud and happy for her, it's been rough for me.  My husband works an opposite shift, has different days off than I do, so I'm alone more than I care to be (I like my alone time, but this is too much).  I've developed a sweet tooth that I never really had before after successfully cutting sugar out.  I've done three Whole30 cycles, and ate very well for about nine months, but have slowly gone off the rails since about May.  I've now gained a solid 10#, and being 5'3",  an extra 10# is not pretty & doesn't feel good.  I had cut out gluten, but am slacking off with that as well.  I'm swollen, achy, and (as you can probably tell-lol), my mood has suffered.  I so desperately want to find my motivation again.  

Yesterday I signed up for the Diva half marathon on Long Island for next October.  I do well with having future goals, so this is good, but I need something else for the spring.  Goals like that help.  I bought a 20x punch card for my local bootcamp, but haven't gone yet because I feel out too out of shape to go (ironic, right?!  lol).  I had been working out 5x per week until this summer.

I need a kick in the a$$, something to get me back in check.  I keep looking at my calendar to figure out when I can start a fresh Whole30.  Maybe 10/25 when we get back from a trip??

@ChristyJ Why not start a whole7, 14, etc. whatever you have time to do now, and then do a full whole30 when you have the time to complete the entire thing? I guess I'm trying to say, "Why wait? Start now." You know your health is worth it. There's a "Riding Your Own Bike" article on this site somewhere that might help put things into perspective. My favorite part of that article is that it reminds me to be gentle with myself for slips and backtracks. They're going to happen. Life happens. We aren't going to be perfect at this food freedom thing right out of the gate. Once you recognize that you're no longer making healthy choices about food, go back to the reset. It doesn't even necessarily need to be a whole30, maybe you just need 10 days to get back on track. Whatever it takes so food becomes about nourishment again and not comfort.

As for the fitness part, what about joining a running group or something? Maybe choose something easy, like a 5k or 10k training group (if you've signed up for a marathon, I'd assume 10k would be easy?). The group aspect would give you extra motivation as well as some socialization, and then once you've gotten your confidence in your fitness back it might be easier to go to the bootcamp. 

Good point-I've started some healthy food prep this morning and am going to print out tracking sheets to start using tomorrow as recording everything I eat & the exercise I do helps me.  I currently run with friends about once a week (did 5 miles last Sunday), and have run 7 half marathons, many 10k/5ks, but yes, it would be good to find some other races.  I was working out 5+ days per week through mid-summer, and quite honestly, just fell into a mild depression/funk after my daughters headed off to college that I've had a hard time getting out of.  I had a few stay in bed all day days on weekends when my husband was working.  But I do feel it going away and I do recognize that crappy eating and lack of exercise contribute to feeling blah.  So I want to make the change.  

Thank you.

Archived