HELP!-When and How Much to Eat?

Kaley

Hi all, I'm finishing up day two of my first Whole30, and I'm looking for some advice on how often and how much to eat. I know we're supposed to aim for 3 meals per day with no snacks.  I can power through and make it that long, but I'm definitely hungry after only about three hours. And, a reoccurring issue I've also had with past diets, is that if I just don't eat until the next meal time, I'm not only not hungry, but have lost my appetite completely.  For example, this happened last night (on Day 1).  By the time I sat down to eat dinner, one bite made me physically nauseous. I ended up eating a plain head of romaine and going to bed (however after about 15 minutes, I think my metabolism had booted back up and I was staving! I went back to the kitchen for a handful of nuts to tide me over until breakfast.)  The obvious solution to me would be to eat more often, but then am I hindering my body from learning to go for longer between meals?  Is this just an adjustment period I need to muster through?  And on the same note, how MUCH food is appropriate at each meal?  So far every meal I've cooked from a Whole30 recipe has seemed like way too much food. Yesterday morning (Day 1, Meal 1) I made myself finish my plate of egg scrambled with ground beef and spinach with a side of berries and melon and it did get me through a full five hours before I was hungry again, but I felt a little sick right after because I was so full. It seems counter-intuitive not tot stop eating when you are full, but I know if I do, I will be starving again in 2-3 hours. My diet previous to Whole30 was pretty much all carbs, so is this just again a growing pain? Should I eat the larger meals assuming my body will adapt to the extra protein? Please help!

• Moderators

Have you seen the meal template and are you making your meals to match?  

The thing with trusting your own body's hunger and saiety signals is that they have to be working for you to trust them and that means that your hormones have to be balanced, you have to eat a sufficient amount (the low end of the template three times a day is the bare minimum an adult human needs to eat) and it has to be consistent over time.  If your hunger signals are suggesting you stop eating once you eat a half a hardboiled egg and two green beans (example) then that's a good indicator that your signal is broken.

Archived