I just need someone to reinforce my "no" to emotional eating today

fayeth

I'm into Day 9 of my very first Whole30. I hit a low point a couple of months ago when I found myself inhaling two packs of chips and a pack of Oreos in one sitting, washing it down with soda and feeling distinctly full but unsatisfied. that's when I knew it had to stop and went looking into Paleo eating.

The start of Whole30 has been quite bearable for me as I spent the month before Day 1 gradually cleansing my diet to be Whole30 compliant. I've also started exercising, which makes me question why I ever forgot that swimming was good for my sanity :)

However, the past 2 days and today have brought some crappy news in my life. Suffice to say, the urge to go back to emotional eating to make it all okay has reared its ugly, beastly head again. Every day I walk past bakeries, pizzerias, barbecue meat stalls, and it takes every ounce of what little willpower I have to continue walking.

I know I feel better eating clean foods. I fully intend to stick with this, 30 days and beyond. But I don't have real-life friends on this same journey, and I just needed to hear some encouragement/tough love from people who know the consequences of falling face first into a bag of chips...So, someone, please tell me that I must not go near that bag of chips, please!

All the emotional eating will do is make you feel worse. You already know that and should be proud of yourself for asking for help!

Food is a momentary distraction; find something else for that! If all else fails, paint your nails! and stay away from the chips!

I consider myself to live low stress. I have four kids, but consider myself to be pretty relaxed in the day to day running of things. I try not to stress about things I can't control. Enter my W30 in August. My husband started working crazy hours. Gone before we're up, home after bedtime, weekends and travel. School started. After school activities started. I try not to over schedule my kids because even on activity each is a lot. They all had some sort of practice on Thursdays. My oldest son started middle school. It's been a hard adjustment for him. He's also at an age where he doesn't do something just because I want him to. It's hard for me to watch him make mistakes. So my low stress easy breezy life turned upside down right when I started this process. I had days where I would just cry. I never really cry about every day things. I cry at funerals, sappy commercials and other people's misfortune or joy. Never about my day to day crap. It was going through all this while cutting out emotional eating that made me realize how often I used food to cope. I made a promise to myself that I would do 30 days. No more. No less. I made my health worth keeping the promise to myself. I have had some off roading, but am still 95% compliant 3 months later. Keep the promise to yourself. It is worth it. You are worth it. I still have things I need to deal with so I will eat paleo through the holidays and start another W30 (or more) after Chrstmas.

Thank you all! =)

slw600: I thought I was addicted to carbs, so I ate them without regard to all the digestive issues they gave me. But you're right. It doesn't help :) There are very few emotional issues that food can help with; eating under those conditions only makes it worse. Thanks for the reminder!

kb0426: Genius! I could never eat chips with wet nails! :)

jennrider: Keep on keeping on with the healthy eating! I'm confident you can do this for life, and I'm sure it'll put you in a better mindset to deal with what you need to deal with. and I'll make sure the stuff I put in my mouth is worth my health and not my emotions :) I'M WORTH IT!!

You really have no idea what's waiting for you if you continue. I will tell you though, it is way, way better than a bag of chips--and I started y whole 30from just about exactly the same place. Huge bags of potato chips were mine. I wouldn't even share them with my kids--me the queen of endless "share and be nice" speeches!

For years I used food as an emotional crutch. I'd had two divorces, I'd lost my home, I was then a single parent to two small children, one of whom had special needs. I made every excuse under the sun. I was too busy looking after them to cook for myself (I always cooked for them). I'd have a family sized bag of corn chips because the hummus I dipped them in is healthy, right?. I'd grab a pastry for lunch to save time and, after they'd gone to bed, I deserved a treat, constantly stuck in on my own and a large bar of choclate's better than a bottle of wine - right?

Well, no surprise, none of the emotional eating made my problems one bit easier to deal with but it did give me health problems on top. So no, no, no, emotional eating will not help the situation. Nourishing yourself and taking care of your body will help much more in the long run, so stick at it - you deserve the best, not cheap crap.

Good for you Fayth. It takes will power to walk by all the goodies. I know what that is. My office is above a coffee shop that makes their own pastries in house. The moment I get out of my car I smell that beautiful smell. And then it gets worse as I go inside to get my morning coffee.

But in the end are they worth it? Just like the potato chips I used to grab during my 3 o'clock slump. Or chocolate bar. Truthfully as I am rounding out the half way point of my second whole 30 - I realize that none of them are. Do I still like them? Yes - I am sure of it. (Especially the freshly made pastries) but none of them are really worth it and make me feel crappy.

It's all about the perspective of things. And the food we eat all tastes really, really good! I have to admit that. Coconut chips and kale chips have been my saviour in the chip department. But truthfully I don't crave them any more. It's more or less - I'm going to a movie or I'm going painting - I'm going to take something along so I don't feel I'm left out and feel like I'm missing something when everyone is munching around me.

Kirsteen, noted!=) Rather than compound the situation, right the first thing that affects everything else in life (health), and then proceed to deal with everything else with good health as a companion. Great plan! I hope you're doing better with the healthy eating!

Carlaccini...pastries. mmmm......wait, nope =p the idea's not tempting anymore (at least not now!). i haven't tried coconut chips, butI am going for a movie this weekend so they're going to be handy! Thank you!

I haven't been doing potato chips, but I snacked on a lot of fruit yesterday. It was a rough day. I've been cleaning up my diet for a while, and eating lots of fruit has been the 'clean' way to emotionally eat, but I was seeing as I embarked on the whole30 (I'm on day 8) that my current challenge was to kick the habit of emotional eating, regardless of how 'clean' the food. Thanks for the reminder that emotional eating doesn't help -- it was so powerful to see it in words that I got all choked up. Thanks for the reminder that we all have challenges in life. I got choked up over that too. You guys rock. Thanks.

You can do it, silk! =) I have friends who look at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm not even snacking on fruits. It's hard for others to understand that it is the impulse to reach for food that we're trying to kick, not just trying to healthy =) So I believe you can do kick emotional eating to the kerb eventually...You're already aware that you take fruits as a substitute for all the other things you use as an emotional crutch, so you've already taken that first few steps to changing your relationship with food =) Rock on, silk!

Fayeth-- you were so right to ask for help. Whats interesting to me I read down this thread is the care and compassion that you are giving to each person who replied. What lovely encouragement you have given to all. I hope that each morning when you me wake up you spend a few moments giving that some warmth, compassion and encouragement to yourself. And know that we are all here to support you. Try making kale chips for the movies! :).

Thank you, shelley417 :). You've very right that I have to be as compassionate to myself as I am to others...though I have to say, being kind to myself early in the morning is easier now than when I woke up like crap every morning pre-Whole30 =D I went for a movie last weekend, stood there inhaling (as in breathing in, not eating =p) the scent of my friend's salted popcorn for about 5min while he went to the washroom, and promptly handed it back to him without any drama or craving when he was done. Whee! =)))

Archived