Start 10-14

Kayla Jo

Hi, I'm not as prepared as I should be, but I'm going to jump in anyway. My husband is doing this with me, so I know we'll make a great team. I have done Advacare (pills) and Fit Foods (prepared foods). Lost weight on both, but didn't stick to it, so now I'm back in the same shape as I was. My goal is to get my digestive system in order. I've had a lot of stomach issues and am hoping through this program, I'll be able to become healthy. Yes, I want to lose weight, but more than that, I want to feel better and have energy. Looking forward to this journey!

Hi Kayla, I'm starting with you as well. I read the post on Instragram that Oct 14th is the last day to be able to start a Whole30 and have enough time for reintroduction before Thanksgiving, so I jumped on board. I went to WalMart yesterday and found most of my grocery items, where do you shop?  A little about myself, I have been on a fitness journey off and on for two years and have lost 28 pounds and many inches, I was so tired of the same foods that I ate over and over, but most of all the bloating and constipation. I am ready to be gut healthy just like you are. This morning I made the Spinach Frittata on pg. 206 and it was delicious! What did you have for breakfast?

Hey ladies!

I started today too! I'm also trying to heal my gut and digestive system. Getting past the first 10 days is always my biggest struggle. I do fine for a few days, and then by days 5-8, the cravings hit hard. I'm really going to try and use this forum as a support on those days when I struggle so I don't end up caving. I'm excited to try some recipes with pumpkin, squash, apples, etc. The foods in season right now are my favorite! Good luck to everyone starting today. We got this! 

WOW! This is AWESOME! I really didn't expect such quick responses! Y'all rock!!! And knowing this is the last day...yup, that was the clincher!

Did y'all pay for the daily emails? I'm thinking about it, but if I have accountability partners I feel that will be the "kick" I need to stay on track.

My husband is doing this with me, so I know it's going to be a lot easier with him, as he cooks most of the meals! And YES I know how lucky I am. Today we had two eggs over easy (cooked in Ghee) and two slices of tomatoes. I drank coffee with almond milk, didn't really care for the taste. I'm going to try the coconut milk to see I like better, or I might just switch to hot tea. What about you? I'm such a milk drinker so I know THAT will be one thing I'll miss the most. But...if that is what's causing my digestive issues I'll kiss it goodbye! I ready for the bloating, constipation and then going six or eight times in a day to stop. I'm tired of being tired.

Thanks, Nancy and Dragonslayer! You are giving me confidence I can do this!

I didn’t do the emails. Figured there are enough other resources to use that are free. The coffee thing sucked cause I was a die hard “creamer user”, but I actually drink it black now. I started with switching to a flavored coffee like hazelnut and each day for a week I used less and less creamer. Then I used almond milk for a week, and eventually forced myself to drink it black but still flavored for a week. After that week, I switched to regular unflavored. I’ve never tried mixing with coconut milk, but I bet it’s delicious. 

Today is going well, definitely hungry this afternoon and having some cravings even after lunch, but I had a good workout earlier and I always get super hungry after cardio.

Didn’t sleep enough last night so I haven’t been as motivated to meal prep today. I know I need to though, so I can be set up for the week. 

Hows everyone else’s day going? I’m more nervous for days 4-8 than these first few. That’s always when it gets tough for me. 

Hi Ladies,

So today went good for me. I had to fight off a major temptation, pizza is my weakness. Oh my Lord my mouth was watering as if I was a dog with a treat in front of it. For lunch I had a grilled chicken breast cooked on a skilled with olive oil and steamed French green beans. For dinner, I had a burger patty on a bed of romaine lettuce, sprayed it with olive oil and drizzled lemon on it. Just a while ago I was craving something salty so I just warmed up some organic chicken broth. But two hours after breakfast I had a huge headache and it didn't go away until I took two extra strength Tylenol's. I read that NSAID's are not compliant, so Aleve, Aspirin, Motrin and Ibuprofen are out. 

Oh I didn't know that about the NSAIDS... thanks for the info!  I just had dinner and am craving dessert big time right now. I am really going to try and not let myself have anything form now on to stop the habit of eating something sweet after dinner, even fruit. It's so hard though!

23 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

Oh I didn't know that about the NSAIDS... thanks for the info!  I just had dinner and am craving dessert big time right now. I am really going to try and not let myself have anything form now on to stop the habit of eating something sweet after dinner, even fruit. It's so hard though!

It's SO hard!! My struggle too, always needing a snack and something sweet after dinner. My goal is to not eat after 8pm... cause it usually ends in a downward spiral for me. 

What did you have to eat today?

This morning I had the "diner breakfast" on page 208. For lunch I had the "classic chili on page 342. For dinner I had my last burger patty with avocado. Now i'm making the roasted spaghetti squash on page 294 and I have browned turkey meat to make some sort of spaghetti like meal. 

Yeah I’m a little sore too, but i can’t tell if it’s from my workout or not. Slept pretty well last night  and haven’t had any crazy cravings yet, but I think part of it is that I’m making sure to eat enough carbs especially in this first week. My last Whole30 I definitely wasn’t getting enough and I think that made my headaches and mood worse for a while. 

We grilled pork chops, squash, asparagus, and had a salad last night so I’ve got some good leftovers for lunch! It’s so much easier to just make extra for dinner so you don’t have to think about making another meal. It also helps me with portion control (one of my issues) because I know if I don’t save some for lunch, I’ll have to cook something else, and I’m usually way too tired for that at night! 

Everyone in this forum should commit to “checking in” at least once a day, to hold us all accountable. I think it will help with staying dedicated and motivated. At least that’s my plan! 

Good morning! Sorry I've been MIA. I'm doing good - staying compliant. I took photos today so I'll have a before and after comparison. I put on my "goal" dress (barely fit!). We went to a friend's home for dinner and she graciously didn't put butter on the peas or carrots, so I had that with the roast and resisted the mashed potatoes and gravy. I wanted a snack last night but didn't go downstairs to get it. They say when temptations come wait at least 5 minutes and it will usually pass - it did. A friend who has completed the Whole30 told me about Boulder Potato Chips. Got some yesterday and they are DELICIOUS! That is one of my comfort foods so, I'll have to be careful and not eat the whole bag because they're so darn good!

Thank you for your support! I agree checking in daily will be the goal! Here's to another day of just doing the next right thing!

Sounds like you are doing great! That's awesome! I am doing well too so far. Making sure I get enough carbs each day has made a noticeable difference in my mood and cravings. Definitely realized if I had certain foods in my house this last few days, there is a big chance I would have caved. It's so much easier just having nothing around to tempt me. Those Boulder chips are a HUGE weakness for me. I ended up bingeing on them in my last whole 30, so unfortunately I'm not letting myself have anything in a package like that this time around to help with my sugar and bingeing dragon. But yes, so delicious! 

I have a 3 day weekend and my pattern for the last few months is that I do well all week, and then I crack on the weekends. I'm not letting myself do that this weekend though. I'm going to stay active, distracted, and focused on my goals. I'm well prepared and really committed this time around. Feeling strong and already so much better mentally and physically. I am slowly remembering why I loved this so much last time. It's so worth it once you get past the tough days. 

Hi everyone! Late to the party, but I also started the same day. I'm doing the Whole30 for healthy reasons (stomach and muscle inflammation). I've been eating ground turkey with spices, a little butternut squash, spinach and avocado for breakfast. Lunch has been salad with protein, compliant homemade Dijon dressing, or African peanut soup but NO peanuts--almond butter and cashew as substitute. Dinners have been a bbq bacon burger bowl, bbq chicken with cauliflower grits, and chicken lettuce tacos. I got Tessemae's BBQ sauce which is compliant but pretty darn spicy (I like it). I'm planning on making pumpkin bison chili for next week, some pot roast, some more burger bowls, and some butternut squash carbonara. I live in the PNW with my hubby and three year old daughter. Glad to have some accountability partners!

Ladies,

Hello, today has been crazy for me with cravings.  But i have stayed strong and on track.  This morning I had perfect scrambled eggs with chicken sausage, diced sweet potato and green bell pepper. For lunch I had chicken primavara and for dinner I had a perfect burger with sweet potatoe buns. Day complete!

26 minutes ago, Dragonslayer said:

Tell me about this African nut soup.... sounds delicious! 

Recipe below. It's so good! I added 5oz of fresh spinach right at the end for more veg. I also cooked it on low in the slow cooker for five hours. 

IMG_5155.JPG

IMG_5156.JPG

17 minutes ago, FitNurs3Nancy said:

Ladies,

Hello, today has been crazy for me with cravings.  But i have stayed strong and on track.  This morning I had perfect scrambled eggs with chicken sausage, diced sweet potato and green bell pepper. For lunch I had chicken primavara and for dinner I had a perfect burger with sweet potatoe buns. Day complete!

Me too! And we have potlucks every week at work it seems like. This week they had pizza and chocolate cake. So glad I resisted. You guys, its day 7!!! Nice work everyone! 

Well, I discovered that although Boulder chips are compliant they’ve removed them from being acceptable because they are not in the “spirit” of the plan because of the binging possibility...uh guilty! I ate those rather than an apple or a hand full of nuts. So....I won’t be getting any more. I’m still having stomach issues. I drink a lot of water but that hasn’t helped the constipation. Guess I need more greens, but I had salad yesterday and today, plus Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. I also take a probiotic. I’m fixing Shepherds pie Sunday. 

10 hours ago, Kayla Jo said:

Well, I discovered that although Boulder chips are compliant they’ve removed them from being acceptable because they are not in the “spirit” of the plan because of the binging possibility...uh guilty! I ate those rather than an apple or a hand full of nuts. So....I won’t be getting any more. I’m still having stomach issues. I drink a lot of water but that hasn’t helped the constipation. Guess I need more greens, but I had salad yesterday and today, plus Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. I also take a probiotic. I’m fixing Shepherds pie Sunday. 

Yeah definitely eat as much non starchy veggies as you can, especially prebiotic veggies like broccoli, kale, spinach, and asparagus. Every body is different so maybe yours is just takin longer to get used to this new way of eating. Have you talked to your doctor about this issue? There are different types of irritable bowel syndrome--some have constipation, some have diarrhea, and some have both. I hope it gets better next week! 

Check in! I could not sleep well last night so I didn't want to go to the gym this morning but my daughter really wants to go to the daycare and I'm taking my friend and letting her use my guess pass. Accountability! I made an eggs, spinach and butternut hash this morning in a pan that had a little bit of bacon grease leftover and had 1/4 an avocado too. Lunch is the leftover cauliflower grits and BBQ chicken and dinner is leftover soup. Hope everyone has a great day/weekend! These are the days I tend to go off track--anyone else? I'm going to remedy that by getting tea when my daughter gets hot chocolate after her flu shot and I bought a kombucha as a faux adult beverage. 

I'm also checking in! @Jpoolman thanks for that recipe. I'm totally making that soon! My weekends when I don't have much planned are when I get off track too. Especially these last few weeks because my fiance is in hunting season, so he is gone from very early morning until dark for many days of the week. Being home alone often gives me crazy anxiety, and I really don't do well with "doing nothing", but I am really focusing lately on trying to make my home a safe and calming place. There is no reason the place I live should cause me such anxiety, and I need to make it my "happy place." I have discovered that as long as I do something active mid morning after breakfast, my anxiety stays away and I stay on track so much better. This morning I made a breakfast "burrito" with scrambled eggs, leftover cabbage and jicama slaw (using whole30 mayo), some sauteed mushrooms, and some leftover salsa all wrapped in a huge collard leaf. So delicious! Then I went to the gym, and now I'm watching food network (my favorite) after eating a lunch of sweet potato and zoodles with chicken sausage in a creamy balsamic sauce (just mayo, balsamic, garlic powder, and dried basil- so good!)  I'm gonna bake some gluten free chocolate chip banana bread for my fiance to enjoy when he comes home (he eats pretty clean and is gluten free but he's not quite down with the whole30 yet) and I'm just trying to enjoy a relaxing and quiet day at home. Doing really well so far. And it's great to be able to come here and vent if I do start to feel anxious. 

Archived