basic questions, and observations

So, today is day two for me. I am normally a very clean eater, mostly paleo plus dairy. But lately for the last two-three weeks I have found myself indulging in candy, cake, etc. So I decided enough was enough and here I am. I need this and I feel mentally great already just knowing that I am back on track and I have a plan!

But I have some basic questions maybe some of you more experienced folks can answer.

1. Is it normal to pee more often? I feel like I haven't had a whole lot more water than usual, but I have noticed more trips to the bathroom.

2. I have had a low grade headache since yesterday. I assume this is normal.... any tips?

3. Today for lunch I had a salad with pork at Chipotle topped with guacamole... and I feel so icky and have a stomach ache. I wonder if the fat triggered something? I have gall stones but I can usually avoid attacks... think this is related?

4. Just to be clear, I should have protein before I workout and a protein (plus optional carb) after? I workout at 5am and have to be at work by 8, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room for post workout snack and then breakfast. Can I make breakfast my Post workout snack/meal?

5. I know a snack isn't recommended but I"m a teacher and lunch is at 10:45 am. I need a snack to make it through to dinner usually.... what type of snack should I have?

6. I wonder if I am eating enough carbs? I am very active and cross fit or run 6 days per week. It's only day two, but I want to make sure I"m eating enough. Thoughts?

Thank you so much to all who take the time to read and answer!!! <3

• Moderators

I'm not sure about peeing more frequently. I have "male" issues that make me pee a lot regardless of diet.

Being headachey is common during the first week or two. You can take Tylenol, but just be sure to take care of yourself and ease through your adjustment period. You may need to reduce the intensity and/or frequency of workouts until you adjust.

An increase of fat can be a challenge to your system at first. Your gut has to adjust to the new diet and grow the proper flora. Taking digestive enzymes may help. Many people use Now Foods Super Enzymes to smooth the transition.

You are right about the recommended protein intake. You can make breakfast your post-workout meal, but you need to eat it within 15 to 30 minutes of exercising to gain maximum benefit.

You should probably add a meal in the afternoon to get you through to dinner. Since you workout, but are not getting a bonus meal because you are combining it with breakfast, you are due another meal.

If you are training 6 days per week, you should probably eat starchy carbs like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. every day. Many people don't eat enough when they start a Whole30, so when in doubt, eat a little more.

thank you!!! yes i have both digestive enzymes (NOW) and a probiotic that i get from my DR so I will start taking the Enzymes again and continue the probiotic.

thanks for the feedback, i will definitely be sure to have some starchy carbs. how often? one meal per day? i definitely wouldn't mind adding an afternoon meal since i am traditionally STARVING by the time i get home from school around 4-5. but the timing will be tricky since i am early to bed.

• Moderators

You can judge how many servings of starchy carbs you need to eat by how you feel. I would imagine you need at least one serving per day and you might need two or three servings. I eat a whole sweet potato at a time, but rarely eat more than one per day. You could spread your starchy carbs across meals, but I don't think you would have a problem eating it all in one meal.

i pee'd like crazy during my first week of whole30. i was even getting up in the middle of the night. after one week, i lost a MAJOR amount of puffiness in my face, stomach and legs. i had no idea i was so bloated and inflamed...it was truly mind-boggling. i'm guessing the extra urine is a combination of the extra water from the veggies plus your body letting go of a (possibly large) surplus of inflammatory fluids.

i pee'd like crazy during my first week of whole30. i was even getting up in the middle of the night. after one week, i lost a MAJOR amount of puffiness in my face, stomach and legs. i had no idea i was so bloated and inflamed...it was truly mind-boggling. i'm guessing the extra urine is a combination of the extra water from the veggies plus your body letting go of a (possibly large) surplus of inflammatory fluids.

Me too. :)

Archived