Debbie’s Whole30 starting October 14 - thoughts

Debbie Baier

Made it through my first day of my third Whole30. Today I went to a farmers market to stock up on fresh veggies and (bonus) got some good exercise carrying the heavy bag of produce back to the car.  

I’m thinking about logging my food intake here as I eat too much even though it’s all compliant food. Truly my biggest problems are sugar and grains, so I’m thrilled when those are out of my daily intake, but I’m more than 100 pounds overweight and getting rid of some weight would relieve a lot of the problems I have with my knees and general mobility. I lost 10 pounds during each of my previous Whole30s, but that’s a drop in the bucket and I want to drop more weight during this one. 

After slogging through a mild depression that happens seasonally, I’m ready to feel good about myself again and enjoy the benefits that I know come with following Whole30 guidelines. Onward.

Hi Debbie! I started Saturday as well. I work in fitness but my motivation to start was personal for me as well as for my 15 yo daughter. Hoping to see some results for her in the area of feeling continuously bloated and uncomfortable in her gut. I've been having some GI issues that seems to be reduced with gluten-free but figured maybe both my daughter and I will learn something more definitively through this elimination process. I have managed to get my husband onboard in the areas of support and cooking (he's better at and actually likes it) so we shall see.

I also struggle with SAD as the seasons change yet am optimistic that if I am feeling better overall, it well help my mental outlook and winter weight-gain (yes - even personal trainers have our own issues!) as well.

Kudos to you and good luck! Seems there's a pretty active group of people who started with us this round and I, for one, know I"ll bee coming here so as not to feel isolated in the challenges!

Day 4 and all is good, except I have a crappy cold which I’m convinced will go away faster than if I was eating sugar and other non compliant foods. Drinking lots of green tea and water to flush the germs away. Feeling good about how I’m eating and trying to maximize veggies as much as possible. 

Still have a nasty cold, but the good news is that it helps me stay compliant. Just don’t feel like eating much.

i made some bone broth with grated carrots, chopped green onions, chopped arugula, a nice hunk of ginger chopped up, and a clove of garlic. Can’t say that it tasted too great but it seemed to help the congestion. Still drinking lots of Gypsy Cold Care tea and water.

Supper was chicken breast, green beans, and a baked potato. Then an apple with almond butter for a snack.

I basically slept most of the day to make up for the previous sleepless night. Hoping it’s better tomorrow. I was thinking that it might be tough to stay on Whole30 once the cold and lack of appetite is gone, so working on the mindset of keeping it up for the sake of good health, as well as the positive feeling I get from following this healthful plan.

Still have a cold. Had a good breakfast of scrambled eggs, veggies and bacon and Fez green tea with mint.

lunch was a big salad with some aidell’s checken apple sausage and oil/balsamic for dressing.

didnt have much of an appetite for supper, just a hard boiled egg and some apple. Will have another apple with almond butter for a snack. Scared that my appetite will come back with a vengeance once this cold clears up, but will be happy to be rid of the congestion and aches.

Hey Debbie! Sounds like you are doing awesome so far! I also started on Saturday and am doing well so far. Sucks about your cold. Just make sure you eat enough so that your body doesn’t get overly hungry and then when the cold is gone you get the crazy hunger and cravings. That’s happened to me in my last one and it was tough to get through that day. I too used to be 100 pounds overweight so I know your struggle. Stick with it though! I’m at my ideal weight now and I promise all the dedication and hard work with changing eating habits is worth it when you see and feel the progress. 

Hey Debbie, I also am not a newcomer to the Whole30. This is only my second, however, as I've tried to start again a couple times and have thrown in the towel after three or four days (strange, since you'd think it'd be the hardest the first go-round)! I'm ready to go hard and prep for renewed and healthy Food Freedom through the holidays. I recently moved and realized my food choices shifted to the backburner as I've been socializing, adjusting, and celebrating a birthday.

So sorry to hear you're sick and hope you're kicking it quickly with good food and lots of tea. Aside from that, what's been the hardest for you this time around, despite it being a familiar challenge? You're about 6 days ahead of me (I just finished day 2), so I'd love to follow your lead! I, too, am looking to shed a few pounds (was a little disappointed in the scale-victory realm last year) and struggled with eating too much compliant food last time (curse the cashews!). 

What are your tips for portion control and snacking? How are you focusing on NSVs this time around to not fixate on weight? I'm looking forward to sleeping better and FEELING better—both physically and energy-wise.

Thankful for your experience and for actively sharing here!

Hi Abby!

Thanks so much for your post! It really does help to hear from others to keep me accountable and less likely to just blow off Whole30. It will feel soooooo good to complete this 30 days and give a great boost in self esteem and confidence going forward, so I believe it’s worth it to stay with it.

I too find portion control daunting. At the first part of my Whole30 it’s kind of off my radar, as I’m happy just to avoid my nemesis SUGAR and flour, the ingredients of all the great cakes and cookies out there and stay compliant. Avoiding those two stinkers results in my feeling more energized and mentally alert and less achy. I’m 63 and carrying this extra weight combined with inflammatory foods is a bad combination.

Regardless, I want/need to drop weight! Portion control and less (or no) snacking must be key to faster weight loss. On my past two Whole30s I lost 10 pounds each time, but think it would have been more if I was more careful about portions/snacking. Based on past Whole30s and day to day trying to keep eating clean, I think most of the portion control and snacklessness will happen naturally, but I knew going into this round I’d need to work on those aspects.

Sorry I don’t have any earthshaking tips, but here are a couple of things keeping me on track lately:

- have carrots, baby cucumbers, or any veggie you like prepped and at hand so you can grab it and crunch when your resolve falters. Also, I keep hard-boiled eggs handy for a quick protein boost. Combine with some salsa or peppers to make them even more satisfying.

- be sure to get enough carbs (such as sweet potatoes and butternut squash) and fat, otherwise it’s hard to stay satiated 

- now that it’s chillier, I make a big thermos of warm caffeine-free tea (I love vanilla rooibus from Jasmine Pearl) and sip on it in the evening, which is when I really want to snack

- remind yourself that it’s not forever - just 30 days. If you made it through one Whole30 you are awesome and have it in you to do more.

We can do it!

thanks again for the inspiration Abby!

i'm a student, and i just learned some cool stuff about viruses: they tend to take 10-14 days to clear your system. my thoughts: i bet eating whole30 compliant way reduced the impact of the symptoms overall, and will help you recover after the virus is cleared! because of the good food choices, the chances of extra complications (like congestion developing into bronchitis, etc) is probably lower, since your body is able to more efficiently deploy your activated immune system. your body can only produce so many white blood cells to fight for you, and it takes a while for those to mature - this way your body can recover more quickly to keep you fit through the season!

cheers for staying the course and reaching your goals!!! (fyi - i am currently taking a break from whole30 myself, so i really look up to you guys for MAKING IT!!! that'll be me, soon!!! a body that is free from the extra burden of 'fighting' against food? oh yeah!)

Mrs. frau,

You are right!  I woke up this morning finally feeling fresh and ready to do things. Still a bit of residual congestion, but because my body is getting fresh and nutritious foods, that should clear up soon.

Sugar is so harmful to the body in the amounts the average American consumes. No wonder there are so many sick people. Just before I started this Whole30 my sugar intake had gradually gotten higher and I knew it was time to take charge. Starting sooner might have lessened the severity of this cold. When will I learn!? It will probably take a bunch more Whole7s and 30s to really change some of those ingrained habits.

thanks for your comments! 

Archived