DAY ONE flop...but now I'm on day three! Further up and further in, tally-ho!

mrs.frau

I am currently getting shots once a month to see if I can be FREE from my allergies...it's a program that lasts three years. I completed the first year and had one overreaction - hives ALL OVER my entire body...which, while painful and embarrassing, was not life threatening. I was in the hospital for a few hours but it was really not a big deal - they just wanted to monitor me to make sure nothing ELSE popped up! Background story provided - so. I decided to start my Whole30 on a Thursday - because of school and work and scheduling time to cook, etc. It happened to be the same day as my shot for this month...and lo and behold. I had an overreaction! THIS TIME, but of course, it was an anaphylactic shock reaction aka throat swelling shut, difficulty breathing, swollen face, itchy itchy hands/mouth/throat. Yeesh. Thank goodness the nurse noticed right away and got the doctor to treat me within the first two minutes of the reaction! Afterwards, I was exhausted (adrenaline produced by my body combined with the shot of adrenaline they gave me = trembling, cold hands and limp noodle body) and they brought me tea and a Ricola for my sore throat...for those of you who don't know, Ricola is a kind of cough drop. It's QUITE sweet. Because it has sweetener in it, of course! And the tea they brought me - was also quite sweet. I thought nothing of it, just downed it all and recovered. Once I was home I had absolutely no energy whatsoever, so all of the cooking plans I'd made? Yeah, that never happened. My husband of course was the one who realised that my 'first day' of Whole30 had flopped - I didn't know that even TEA can have sugar in it. Yes, the tea BAGS sometimes. Have. Sugar. Already. Added. For real?!? I have yet to find any kind of deli meat/bacon/salami without sugar, and now I have to watch out when I drink TEA. Blew my mind! It was a good non-start, though, in the end - I know that I feel like I NEED sugar and bready things, but I never realised that I need to reboot all of my food habits! One of my hopes/goals for my Whole30 is to rethink how and why I eat what I eat. Mindful food lifestyle - let's do this! I'm now on day three...

• so. Day 6 - feeling very strongly that there is a need for me to keep going!!! i injured my wrist on Monday, so now i can't chop/hold things/type/write/etc. my husband, who is NOT doing whole30 has been a major support, but it is starting to be hard for both of us now...he is doing all of the cooking. and, unlike me, he has no real reason to DESIRE to try these new things other than to serve me. poor guy...he has to do all the cleaning up too. while working full time and doing life as normal. i can't even do my own hair yet - he braided it for me yesterday. hopefully the swelling will go down in a few days - but it looks like i probably have micro-tears throughout my wrist. nothing broken, at least. but - this will take as long to heal, if not longer, says the doc. we shall see! docs can be wrong! one can hope! and eat well, anti-inflammatory food - got that covered. i think. lol. super discouraged today though. baked the spaghetti squash too long...not very appetising, i must admit. but it's what i have to eat today, that and my greek salad. i had my first black coffee this morning! GROSS. lol. seriously though - apparently i like the milk and sugar part, not the actual coffee...clearly. most assuredly! energy levels are down today - also because i wasn't able to go to bed until quite late two nights in a row - ER visit and a special event planned will do that to you. also - MAN. event where you literally cannot eat ANYTHING = BUMMER. literally. nothing. glad i ate beforehand! but - of course, wasn't feeling satisfied cuz i didn't eat any bread or sweets. so. even though i was 'full' i still had those weird 'munchies.' and that is a feeling that is supposed to get worse before it gets better, as i understood it...yeahhhhh. all right. i wrote my 'i'm feeling down' post. now - back to studying so i can kick a** on my test next week! and - better yet, HEAL because i'm taking good care of my body - i only have the one!

Hang in there! You might want to try Nutpods (compliant coconut/almond milk) in your coffee. I love the hazelnut flavor. Took me a while to drink coffee without sugar but now I’m used to it as long as I include some almond and coconut milk compliant creamer. Also I’ve found that increasing veggies and maybe adding some sweet potato helps keep me feeling satisfied longer.

I’ve been sick with a cold and it’s helping me focus on food as the medicine our bodies need to heal and stay strong. Here’s to good health!

because of my injury i can't use my right hand pretty much at all right now - and yep, you guessed it, i'm right-handed...i am putting whole30 on hold until my wrist is healed enough for me to do my own cooking.

my husband is awesome, he brushes/braids my hair for me now every day - but he didn't read the book (not interested, which is ok with me) and doesn't understand AT ALL that i cannot simply grab a sandwich somewhere, or a prepackaged salad at the store because he had no time to cook something for me. and i felt terrible and demanding...it is not an easy diet, i knew that going in! takes a lot of time - i bet it gets easier with time and practice. but. i'm still figuring this out myself. and it was making him feel like a failure, or just a jerk, and in the end we were just both tired and hungry and DONE.

it was getting so complicated at home - i cannot continue right now. it was turning into a daily struggle for my husband - it's not worth his sanity or our marriage!!! i will still eat whole30 compliant, as much as possible. my husband will still have to do all the cooking - but this way he doesn't have to make two different menus. he has agreed to cut out all the sugar, and he loves the idea of incorporating more veggies. but. he can't cook every day - not even every other day, what with work and sports and LIFE. sooooo. this is super frustrating!!! but i do think this is the right decision. i have to let my wrist heal for a few weeks. then - i shall be BACK! i made it the first 10 days - i CAN do this! and since we'll be making some small tweaks now to our daily diet - it should be an even better start next time!!! i NEVER thought i'd be derailed by something as 'small' as a wrist. and you know the funny thing...the BREAKFASTS were what had my husband pulling his hair out. lol. poor guy! i explained over, and over, and over - it's totally just leftovers. no biggie! but - he just couldn't imagine that. and it was driving him crazy every day, trying to remember if he had cooked enough for me to eat for breakfast the next day, was there still mayo left, etc. it was very sweet of him to try...but i felt like such a diva, having to dictate what he needed to cook, and when. yech. i don't understand people who get a kick out of bossing other people around. it's exhausting!!! plus there was the day he forgot i couldn't open jars...and my neighbours were out of town...so. yep. banana and apple day! man was i hungry when he got home! that was the straw that broke the camels back. it'll be a funny memory though. eventually...!

I hope you get BETTER soon Debbie!!! not sure if I can get Nutpods here - i live in Switzerland. they might have something similar i can try! and amen to the sweet potatoes!! i may have eaten way too many my first three days...

Archived