International (Asia in particular) travel

cplfly

So I am curious what you guys have experienced and/or think about international travel. I am a pilot and travel most of the month domestically and to South America. By planning ahead I can bring most of my food and not have to resort to fasting and still stay Whole30 compliant.

However, my husband and I are thinking of a trip to Thailand, Japan or Hong Kong in September. After my husband's trip to the Asian market to find some compliant Fish Sauce the other day he has me worried. There just isn't much in there without gluten or soy involved somehow. Without being able to bring food through customs, which would be impossible, and not speaking enough of any of the above countries' languages to request that not only do I not want the rice but would like to make sure the food is in fact legume, dairy and grain and sugar free, what do you do? Europe is a little easier as it's very gluten-free friendly, but Asia seems a whole different game.

Thoughts?

I'll check it out. Thanks. I figured I would have to accept some gut irritants as the price of travel, but I really draw the line at gluten. Maybe I need to develop a paleo phrase book for all countries :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just Hungry has these cutish cards in Japanese to print out - with no gluten / no peanut for example. http://www.justhungry.com/japan-dining-out-cards

No gluten is actually a lot easier than no sugar/soy in Asia - many dishes are rice based. in Thailand I ate fish, meats with vegetables, and a veggie side dish, skipped the rice, but the food will probably have seen sugar (if just in the fish sauce) and soy. Lots of grilled seafood available, yummy green coconut curry ... in Japan sashimi comes to mind, as long as you don't eat soy sauce with it ;)

Archived