Chronic Pain & Sleep Disorder - Will I feel full benefits of Whole30?

I've got a chronic pain disorder.  Two of the consequences of the disorder are screwed up sleep and a mostly sedentary lifestyle.  I am often awake at hours when the rest of my family is asleep.  So, I don't cook meals during these times because I don't want to wake anyone up.  Also, because I'm not very active, I'm not hungry enough to eat three full meals as is recommended in the whole30 dietary plans anyway - if I did, I imagine I'd gain a whole lot of weight!   So, typically I have one full-sized, compliant meal, then the rest of my food for my "day" snack-size compliant food.  So while I'm eating meat, veggies, and fat, I'm not getting in the recommended daily amount of servings.  

My question is whether I will feel the full benefits of the whole30 plan if I'm not eating the number of meals prescribed by the regime?  I'm 2 weeks into my first round, have not noticed any benefits yet, and am worried that this might be futile given that I'm not a typical participant.

Thanks.

I posted this in another sub-forum but am not sure if it was the right place, so will post it here.  I hope that's ok.

I've got a chronic pain disorder.  Two of the consequences of the disorder are screwed up sleep and a mostly sedentary lifestyle.  I am often awake at hours when the rest of my family is asleep.  So, I don't cook meals during these times because I don't want to wake anyone up.  Also, because I'm not very active, I'm not hungry enough to eat three full meals as is recommended in the whole30 dietary plans anyway - if I did, I imagine I'd gain a whole lot of weight!   So, typically I have one full-sized, compliant meal, then the rest of my food for my "day" snack-size compliant food.  So while I'm eating meat, veggies, and fat, I'm not getting in the recommended daily amount of servings.  

My question is whether I will feel the full benefits of the whole30 plan if I'm not eating the number of meals prescribed by the regime?  I'm 2 weeks into my first round, have not noticed any benefits yet, and am worried that this might be futile given that I'm not a typical participant.

Thanks.

• Moderators

Hey there.  I've merged your posts as it's against the forum rules to cross post over multiple threads.

The meal template is really the bare minimum any adult human needs to eat on a daily basis.  If you're not getting enough nutrition then you're putting your body at stress while it's already trying to keep things going with the chronic pain and sleeplessness. I would strongly recommend that you work on eating at least the low end of the template three times a day however in your particular circumstance, it may be helpful for you to see a functional medicine doctor who can help with the eating plan as well as your pain and lifestyle concerns.

Thanks for your reply.  Sorry I broke the rules.

I've seen a naturopath before and didn't find that process very helpful, though I'm open to seeing one again.  I am currently under the care of several physicians and am seeing a Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioner (acupuncturist).

How does the plan determine what is the bare minimum?  Is it by calorie count?  I'm wondering if even though I'm eating in a non-traditional way, I can make sure I get enough calories.

Archived